• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Robin64

Thanks!

Edit: Well, this actually looks a bit more complex than I thought. Am I supposed to open the linked script with Python? What's the easiest thing to drag into this, a copy of my save state, the ROM itself, etc?

You need to have Python installed.

Then you go to a Command Prompt, change to the directory your script is in (put your save in there too) and type "[nameofscript].py save.srm".

SOLDIER

You need to have Python installed.

Then you go to a Command Prompt, change to the directory your script is in (put your save in there too) and type "[nameofscript].py save.srm".

That makes it a bit clearer, thanks for taking the time to respond here.

Though I'm still unsure where the .srm saves are located. If I make a save state backup, the extension is .clvs

Robin64

That makes it a bit clearer, thanks for taking the time to respond here.

Though I'm still unsure where the .srm saves are located. If I make a save state backup, the extension is .clvs

Rename that to .tar.gz and open it with Winrar. The files should be in that. Put the new ones you want in, then rename it back to .clvs.

SOLDIER

Rename that to .tar.gz and open it with Winrar. The files should be in that. Put the new ones you want in, then rename it back to .clvs.

Should have read this part sooner:

This won't import with SFROMs. I didn't do any ROM parsing, just a quick check to see if there's a SMC header to skip. SFROMs will therefore generate incorrect game codes and folder names

Can I rename the SFROM to a compatible extension, or will that potentially screw things up?

angelic

Banned
Having some trouble with Super Metroid mods, Hyper Metroid boots and seems ok but patching the Justin Bailey metroid (just a changed user sprite) doesnt work, and the GBA control mod doesnt work either (corrupt graphics). Just me?

Would it be possible to put The Simpsons arcade, and Asterix & Obelix, in the snes mini, with retroarch?
Yes

Having some trouble with Super Metroid mods, Hyper Metroid boots and seems ok but patching the Justin Bailey metroid (just a changed user sprite) doesnt work, and the GBA control mod doesnt work either (corrupt graphics). Just me?
Have you checked your ROM is the correct checksum for the patch?

Would it be possible to put The Simpsons arcade, and Asterix & Obelix, in the snes mini, with retroarch?

Can't speak to the latter but The Simpsons arcade will work (using the Final Burn Alpha core in Retroarch) provided that you tweak the command line to FBA instead of ZIP after you add the ROM.

Robin64

Im using lunar IPS to patch it which I thought meant you didnt need to.

You always need the correct checksum. Any errors in a dump, or differences, will result in a patch likely not working correctly.

(Sometimes you get lucky and it will work, but that just means the areas it was patching remained the same despite differences elsewhere)

angelic

Banned
You always need the correct checksum. Any errors in a dump, or differences, will result in a patch likely not working correctly.

(Sometimes you get lucky and it will work, but that just means the areas it was patching remained the same despite differences elsewhere)

Cheers, yeah not working in zsnes either. Can you fix checksums? I dont really know what to do.

Santar

I wonder if it will help Terranigma at all. -no-lowlatency had no effect there, like it did with SD3.

I really hope so, playing a bugged Terranigma does not sound appealing to me.
Hopefully it will at least fix that Yoshi's Island audio bug and others like it.
Bit annoying when new versions introduce new bugs, but then again the classic never was made for hacking so I guess these sort of thing can happen.

Robin64

I may have jumped the gun and not correctly applied the NTSC patch to Terranigma in my haste to test it out, which would account for audio issues. I'll be sure to test it more thoroughly when I get home from work.

Santar

I may have jumped the gun and not correctly applied the NTSC patch to Terranigma in my haste to test it out, which would account for audio issues. I'll be sure to test it more thoroughly when I get home from work.

I haven't tried Terranigma on the classic yet but this guy on Reddit created a combo patch which supposedly works without audio problems.
Thinking about giving it a go later today.

Robin64

Ah, perfect. Got Terranigma working properly with this patch. It's the above all-in-one for NTSC conversion and then the Canoe fix, minus the font change. No audio errors at all!

(I also used uCON64 to fix the checksum, but I don't think that's important at all, I just like it that way)

ReyVGM

Ah, perfect. Got Terranigma working properly with this patch. It's the above all-in-one for NTSC conversion and then the Canoe fix, minus the font change. No audio errors at all!

(I also used uCON64 to fix the checksum, but I don't think that's important at all, I just like it that way)

Perfect. Thanks!

Santar

Great! That's the patch I've also grabbed, not gotten around to testing it yet. There's also a Robotrek patch in the same Reddit thread.
Looks like there's a hakchi update out just now with that bug fixed too.
Now I can do both the patch and the update in one go :)

Turnbl

What's the total box art height? is it 228px same as width?

Is there a way of removing the canoe settings scanlines for certain retroarch games?

Thanks to anyone in advance!

ReyVGM

What's the total box art height? is it 228px same as width?

Is there a way of removing the canoe settings scanlines for certain retroarch games?

Thanks to anyone in advance!

I don't know how big they can be (Earthboun's is certainly bigger), but the size used for SNES boxes are 204x140.

Robin64

So yeah, 2.21f is out. Definitely get this one!

- Screenshots without tearing (thanks to DanTheMan827!)
- Slowdown fix.
- Other tiny fixes.

ReyVGM

So yeah, 2.21f is out. Definitely get this one!

- Screenshots without tearing (thanks to DanTheMan827!)
- Slowdown fix.
- Other tiny fixes.

Does it fix the whole thing about hakchi constantly writing to the system or something around that?

I thought SNES box art size was 228x160?

If you make them that big, then they would be bigger than the ones on the SNESC. That might be Earthbound's box size though.

lucius

What happens when you run out of space and try to save will you just get an error?

If you save in the game instead of a suspend save is that better for space ?

RobRSG

Is there any benefit to update from version B to F? I have successfully patched Robotrek, Terranigma and ActRaiser 2. Seems more stable than a PS4.
/jk

ReyVGM

What happens when you run out of space and try to save will you just get an error?

If you save in the game instead of a suspend save is that better for space ?

Yes, an error that crashes your system.

Yes an ingame save is better, those are usually 20KB in size. Save states are usually 2 megs (2,048KB) in size.

Is there any benefit to update from version B to F? I have successfully patched Robotrek, Terranigma and ActRaiser 2. Seems more stable than a PS4.
/jk

It's up to you, but there have been several fixes applied that make things better. If you are happy the way it is, then by all means, stay that way.

ReyVGM

Anyone know why I keep "losing" total available space? When I used hakchi the first time it said I had about 250MB available, now it says I have 215MB.

That available space shouldn't go down as you add games or make save states, now should it?

RobRSG

Anyone know why I keep "losing" total available space? When I used hakchi the first time it said I had about 250MB available, now it says I have 215MB.

That available space shouldn't go down as you add games or make save states, now should it?

I "lost" some free Space by adding Retroarch. I guess that's normal.

ReyVGM

Updated to the latest hakchi. It boots a lot faster now! With the previous version it took about 6 seconds, now it boots as fast as the original system.

I "lost" some free Space by adding Retroarch. I guess that's normal.

No retroarch here. I've only added 5 games.

pitt_norton

Interesting... I used the same patch and got no audio... I was using flips.

JackDT

They keep revving this software so often I keep waiting to hack mine until things settle down. I would love to use a script that auto-populates it with really sensible defaults and game selection.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hey people is tales of phantasia working ?
I really really really want to replay that game

angelic

Banned

ok this is driving me mad, it is the right checksum until I patch it, then it goes wrong. Nothing works. I've got the right version of Super Metroid, the unheadered [UJ] one, using lunarIPS to apply the justin bailey patch off romhacking.net, and that immediately cocks up the nintendo logo once you load it. The CRC code thingy is D63ED5F8, but it immediately goes wrong as soon as I patch.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

ok this is driving me mad, it is the right checksum until I patch it, then it goes wrong.
This is correct.

If you add the values of every bit of the file together then this gives you, after a little bit of maths, the checksum.

After the file is modified the checksum will change because the file contents have changed.

You need the checksum to be correct before you patch because it's the way you confirm you're working with the correct file.

Palom

ok this is driving me mad, it is the right checksum until I patch it, then it goes wrong. Nothing works. I've got the right version of Super Metroid, the unheadered [UJ] one, using lunarIPS to apply the justin bailey patch off romhacking.net, and that immediately cocks up the nintendo logo once you load it. The CRC code thingy is D63ED5F8, but it immediately goes wrong as soon as I patch.

What the hell am I doing wrong?
The Justin Bailey patch uses a headered ROM. I use NSRT to add headers to my ROMs if a patch needs it.

This header/non-header crap is really annoying and has caused me so many problems. I don't understand why it's even a thing.

Top Bottom