• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it would be a good idea to have a general LTTP thread reserved for SNES Mini game talk, since this thread tends to be heavily preorder / order / shipping / availability posts and the Stump thread is Super Mario World only. It might be too many threads though.

want me to whip one up?

I would like this. I want to read about the games!

Edit: I suppose in another week, everyone will have their orders, so this thread will turn into that.

What does the Classic Demo option do? And anyone know how does the burn-in reduction feature work, and if it has any effect on image quality? Is there a benefit to keep it on for an LCD display?

I checked my lottery ticket today and I'll be able to buy a super famicom tomorrow at Joshin! Got lucky this time. :D Going to have my girl pick it up for me tomorrow. Can't wait to play all the great classics during the weekend.

Seik

Banned
Holy fuck, my friend received my SNES Classic in the mail from Amazon.ca .

They. Fucking. Shipped. It. In. An. ENVELOPPE!!!!!

Corner of the box is crushed, and so am I.

Now I'm either returning it hoping that a restock comes soon or just...deal with it. :(

I see why they have a rewind function for complete shit gamers like myself that die all the time on every level against everything in games like Super Mario World, Super Metroid etc.

I suck at these games.

I would be mad af if they sent my box in an envelope. Mine was shipped in a box inside it was fixed in place so it couldnt rattle around. Shouldnt Amazon know what the fuck they are doing?

Now I'm either returning it hoping that a restock comes soon or just...deal with it. :(

Amazon really sucks.

BumRush

They triple charged me. I ordered 1 unit on August 22.

dCdVmv8.jpg

Is that a Citibank card? I've been charged multiple times for thing in Pending status that end up working themselves out by the time it actually posts

dude that is unacceptable. I'm surprised Amazon would do this. They usually have stellar customer service.

NeonBlack

Somebody packed it, looked at it in the envelope, and said "this is fine".

I really wish they had put in a hot key on the controller to trigger the rewind feature so I wouldn't have to keep hitting the reset button on the console. It was my one big gripe with the NES mini as well.

ParityBit

I think I am going to keep only NES games on my NES Mini and SNES games on my SNES. I think my brain would be too confused otherwise.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I really wish they had put in a hot key on the controller to trigger the rewind feature so I wouldn't have to keep hitting the reset button on the console. It was my one big gripe with the NES mini as well.

In some ways it does help discourage constant usage of it. I remember when I discovered rewind in ZSNES - I abused it a lot because it was a simply button press away.

Yeah I'm in Canada too and thought it was weird it came like that.

No damage on mine though, thankfully.

spock

Had this happen with another item before, called customer service they refunded me and told me to keep the item. Was a $60 item. Worst case you get a credit of some sort. Call them. Explain the packaging was important as the item is collectable.

spock

Today my target order is supposed to arrive. They sent it surepost. Took fucking days. Says its out for delivery. Glad to have it finally but man I do not like surepost instead of full out UPS.

mazillion

Today my target order is supposed to arrive. They sent it surepost. Took fucking days. Says its out for delivery. Glad to have it finally but man I do not like surepost instead of full out UPS.

In the future, if you can't wait, you can upgrade a surepost order to be fulfilled by UPS for 3.50 USD. According to them it will usually only arrive a day earlier though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Has anyone posted any videos to youtube or whatever showing the CRT filter on various games? The DF review didn't show it much. My unit is out for delivery but it's gonna be a long day at work and I want to see some stuff.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
My walmart order that I received yesterday (25th) has an 800 number in the description, fyi. You guys may be alright.

Has anyone posted any videos to youtube or whatever showing the CRT filter on various games? The DF review didn't show it much. My unit is out for delivery but it's gonna be a long day at work and I want to see some stuff.

I thought it made things blurry as fuck. Which sucks 'cause I want my scanlines. Wish there was just an option for the scanlines, but not whatever other filter is going on.

groansey

Tried CRT filter on Super Castlevania and it looked lot more true to how games used to look back in the early 90's. Game was pretty hideous in pixel perfect mode. So thumbs up from me.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Tried CRT filter on Super Castlevania and it looked lot more true to how games used to look back in the early 90's. Game was pretty hideous in pixel perfect mode. So thumbs up from me.

crt filter should be the default tbh. non filtered these games dont look anywhere near what my memory told me. Way to crisp and hard edged.

crt filter should be the default tbh. non filtered these games dont look anywhere near what my memory told me. Way to crisp and hard edged.
I don't know, I only tested SMW on my 24" PC monitor, and crt filter looked the worse option to me.

I can see it working better for certain games and/or from a farther viewing distance.

Devil

Quick question:

Soon I'll be living 4 months away from home without my media setup. I'll be bringing my computer screen which doesn't have any sound output or input channel and connect it via VGA -> HDMI adapter to my consoles. For sound I'll just use headphones.

Now, how will I be able to get sound in whatever way from the SNES Mini? Any ideas for an easy solution?

Doesn't sound like that big of a deal tbh. I'll brush off people hating on the GBA version as elitism :p
It's really pretty bad. Losing a third of the screen is an enormous blow. It really messes with the visual language of the game when you can't see the thing you're supposed to interact with overhead or the platform you need to jump down to. That alone is enough to make it painful to play for me.

Megasoum

Banned

Really depends on the game.

Mario RPG and FF3 look better with CRT but Zelda and Metroid look fucking incredible without it.

Do share, I've definitely got a few ideas to work on.

If you already have hakchi installed, it's easy. Copy the backgrounds folder from /usr/share/ to /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/ and then add a line to one of the files p in the /var/lib/etc/preinit.p folder that says

overmount /usr/share/backgrounds/

After that you can make a copy of one of the background folders and modify the files inside to make your custom frame. You don't have to modify an existing frame, it will automatically add new ones you make to the menu!

PMS341

If you already have hakchi installed, it's easy. Copy the backgrounds folder from /usr/share/ to /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/ and then add a line to one of the files p in the /var/lib/etc/preinit.p folder that says

overmount /usr/share/backgrounds/

After that you can make a copy of one of the background folders and modify the files inside to make your custom frame. You don't have to modify an existing frame, it will automatically add new ones you make to the menu!

Saving this for once I get everything setup. I can't imagine a huge limit on the amount of frames, considering they are 1280x720, iirc. Would love a custom frame for each game/series, but we'll see. Thanks for the info.

Joey Ravn

Banned

I think that shows who has been used to playing on emulators all these years and who hasn't. I really dig the clean, unfiltered look of the 4:3 mode... and, to be honest, I'm really used to a pixel perfect image, so that looks great to me.

The CRT filter looks gorgeous, but I notice it's a filter. I know there's something "fake" between the raw image and the image that I'm seeing, if that makes any sense.

Saving this for once I get everything setup. I can't imagine a huge limit on the amount of frames, considering they are 1280x720, iirc. Would love a custom frame for each game/series, but we'll see. Thanks for the info.

Within a few days I'm sure there will be a nice frontend for making frames built into hakchi2. It's a bit tedious now, because there's a separate frame for 4:3 and pixel perfect, separate smaller versions for the display preview, and a thumbnail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom