• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think so. To have a proper accurate SNES emulation, you need a relatively large amount of CPU performance. To make it work on weak hardware like this there are bound to be some quirks here and there in games that use special tricks.

However this effect works perfectly with Snese9x on my homebrew enabled Wii, and that has less cpu power than the processor being used in the nes or snes classic.......

Air Strike Patrol is pretty notorious for this, where a shadow drawn under your aircraft is very CPU intense to emulate so most emulators doesn't do it. So many people who only played the game on an emulator have no clue there is supposed to be a shadow there, which also make things easier as an aim for the bombs you're dropping.

That's becuause of mid-scanline raster effects and unless you play that particular game you can use the balanced core and greatly reduce the cpu overhead.

Given how perfect the emulation on the NES is, I was hoping for the same on the SNES classic.

The Nes classic still had a few issues with sound pitch and audio delay though.......

So it seems Nintendo has fucked it up again.

Emulation in Yoshi’s Island is not faithful to the original hardware:

Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy SNES classic:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mWZ_rjgukcc&t=2m54s

Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy real SNES:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEHWe6RWAv0&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

Notice how parts of the background and foreground completely disappear for a fraction of a second whenever you touch a fuzzy. That didn’t happen on original hardware!

Goddammit Nintendo...
they’re getting lazy again...

I'm so glad I don't care about perfect emulation or resolutions, seems like a lot of stress for those that do.

I didn't remember scan lines even existing until I saw that GAF topic where people post screen shots.

One of the best things about hacking the NES Classic was enabling just the scan lines but disabling the faux CRT filter. Just how I like it. Wish Nintendo had it as an option.

Love me some scan lines.

Woorloog

Banned
Typically we pay the USD price x 10 in SEK for consoles and games, or a little bit more, which more or less checks out when you account for VAT. This is an extreme case, and seems to simply be the evil Nordic Nintendo distributor Bergsala lining their pockets. There is no other reasonable explanation.

I still might though, just to not support the ridiculous price hiking going on here in the Nordic countries. I really want this thing, but the pricing here is just fucking insane. Rationally, it's not worth it.

130-150€ in Finland.

Same distributor almost certainly.

Fortunately, i ordered the thing when the store i used still had the price as 90€... In theory, they have "first come, first serve" policy, so i should be getting mine and at that price but i wonder if they will honor that.

That Yoshi's Island glitch is nothing compared to the horrors of 50hz that could have been reinflicted on Europe.

It's a minor quibble.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Still no movement on my Amazon UK order, and now Target brickseek is back to showing 0 stock everywhere.

Three more days...

Does the Super Famicom Mini have an extra thing going on with theirs? Cause the Famicom Mini had a simulated Disk System start up menu when you play Zelda.

Woorloog

Banned
I think USB cords are pretty universal these days

usb_cables.png

A fraction of a second that happens repeatedly over the course of a short time span.

It’s like if your favourite artist came out with a Best Of album and in one of the tracks, instruments cut out for fractions of seconds here and there. How would you feel about that?

It's nothing like that. The way people have reacted here is verging on the Silent Hill remaster. It's ridiculous. I would bet if it wasn't pointed out here back to back the majority of people wouldn't have noticed.

It's nothing like that. The way people have reacted here is verging on the Silent Hill remaster. It's ridiculous. I would bet if it wasn't pointed out here back to back the majority of people wouldn't have noticed.

How would not notice something like that? The entire fucking background straight up vanishes!

jacobeid

Banned

I can't believe the audacity of some people.

Jacobeid said:
Yeah I bought this for the emulation quality, so if it's not great then I won't kill myself looking for a US one. I'll keep my JP preorder though.

Jacobeid said:
Honestly the biggest reason why I wanted this thing :(

Jacobeid said:
I mean, Yoshi's Island is the single game that made me REALLY want this device because it's never been re-released in it's original form. Given how perfect the emulation on the NES is, I was hoping for the same on the SNES classic. Considering my myriad options to play this on my PC/retropie, it actually does damper my excitement that the emulation quality will not be any better than what I'm used to from other sources.

I am truly sorry that this hot take is so offensive to you lol.

Truly ridiculous reactions here! /heavy eye roll

From the pre-order thread:

Looks to me like they deliberately removed the flashing effect caused by touching Fuzzy as part of their standard practice to remove or tone down strobing light effects that could induce seizures.

If that's the case then hopefully it can be fixed with the homebrew hack.

130-150€ in Finland.

Same distributor almost certainly.

Fortunately, i ordered the thing when the store i used still had the price as 90€... In theory, they have "first come, first serve" policy, so i should be getting mine and at that price but i wonder if they will honor that.

Gamestop here wont honor the intial lower price of 900 SEK or if it was 999.

.Anema

Is there any way to connect the SNES Mini to the internet for some future updates?
I hope not, Im waiting for the scene so badly in this thing :p

bumclot

No movement on my Walmart order and I got an alert last night that my credit card had been used fraudulently on the other side of the country and they're replacing my card. Feels like the universe is conspiring against me. The Visa rep was able to put in an exemption on online orders until October 3 though, so I just pray that works. Argh!

ParityBit

What do you think of the chances of me walking into a 24 hour Walmart at around 5AM on Friday and getting one? No idea if they are having a midnight release or any of that, I was just going to stop on my way to work ....

What do you think of the chances of me walking into a 24 hour Walmart at around 5AM on Friday and getting one? No idea if they are having a midnight release or any of that, I was just going to stop on my way to work ....

Chances should be pretty good depending on where you live

Robin64

It's unlikely the background layer vanishing and coming back moments later is an intentional method to reduce seizures, mostly because Nintendo's effect that usually does this is nothing like what's happening here, and because the effect doesn't even flash anyway. It's just some pixelation which is still happening on the screen to the foreground layers.

However, if it IS, then it will be easily fixable. The NES Mini had a global setting which could disable epilepsy protection for all games, so if that's the case here, easily turned off. If it's a patch to the ROM itself, that's also easily fixed. And if it's a patch that runs seperately at runtime, that's also easily fixed.

Chucker

Y'all are killing me right now with that half(?) second business on one stage of one game.
Whenever Hackchi gets working on this thing I'm sure they'll be able to remove the epilepsy filter like on the NESC so that shouldn't be an issue.

Now that a good amount of people have it in their hands, can anybody post the link to the manuals that it has on the system menu itself?

I don't think my reply earlier was sent but the flash on the SNES mini in Yoshi's island is where the emulation is having trouble with the pixelation effect, it's broken on the mini.

The rest of the dizzy effect looks normal it's just that initial pixel zoom effect.

ParityBit

Chances should be pretty good depending on where you live

I wish I could see how much stock the places around me would have. Brickseek doesn't tell me anything. Also, any way to know if a store is having a midnight release? And if not .... when would they start selling them?

Ars Technica article on the SNES Classic

On using an SNES controller on the NES Classic:

The Super NES Classic Edition controllers are backward compatible with the NES Classic Edition, which is convenient if you never invested in a second controller for the previous system. The d-pad, Select, Start, and B and A buttons are mapped correctly, while the Y button maps to A and the X button maps to B on the NES Classic (L and R do nothing).

So Y/B will be uncomfortable on the NES, but X/A is still a reasonable option.

Other interesting info: Boot-time from power on to main menu is 7 seconds, and the console itself only draws 2.3W.

That Yoshi thing is an incredibly minor thing. Won't bother me at all.

I can understand the complaints, but as someone who's only previous experience with Yoshi's Island is the GBA version, this doesn't even put a dent in my anticipation of playing the game.

SOLDIER

So you can actually power this thing through the included USB cable by hooking it up to your TV?

That would be good news for me, as I have a USB port on my TV and finding an extra outlet for the AC adapter could prove tricky.

Robin64

So you can actually power this thing through the included USB cable by hooking it up to your TV?

That would be good news for me, as I have a USB port on my TV and finding an extra outlet for the AC adapter could prove tricky.

Yep, absolutely.

Is it possible this has been done intentionally? Nintendo, as I'm sure you're aware, aren't strangers to modding ROMs for fear of causing epileptic fits, amongst other things.

I doubt it, they would make such a mess out of changing an effect like that, they would just remove it instead of butcher it.

The effect is there it's just wrong, like a math error or wrong coding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom