• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Of the games on this system I have previously only played Street Fighter, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Donkey King Country and Super Mario World (which I only played for an hour or two). I'm dying to finally play FF6 so I'll start there. After that it's Super Metroid and then Link to the Past and Earthbound.

I'm not much of a retrogamer, but I love some of the later games in these series', so I think I should probably give them a try. I normally would never play such old games for the first time out of fear that there's no way I'd be able to enjoy them. Guess I'll find out in a few days.

Ninja Dom

I've preordered with argos and haven't heard anything. I look on their site and it says in my account that I've preordered the mini snes but when I select it, the site just says they don't sell it anymore... Which is concerning.

I preordered with Argos too. They contacted me via text message yesterday to say delivery will be on the 29th.

Have you paid for it? Cos when I preordered back in June they immediately took payment.

That was just a dodgy video assuming you are talking about the gamexplain one. Every other one I have seen points to solid performance. I don't think Nintendo would dare release an emulator that dropped frames like that.
It is from GameXplain again but it's a new one (from yesterday): https://youtu.be/JFfoMkIsFeA
Maybe they just have bad video capturing...I agree it should be unlikely for Nintendo to release it in this state.

Haven't noticed anything for the moment, but only played for a small amount of time.
I'll check later.
Thanks in advance!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Anyone know how Amazon UK treat failed transactions? I'm not paid till the early hours of Thursday morning so if they charge me beforehand it won't go thru. Bit worried they will cancel my order.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Could everybody please stop with the NTSC/PAL wars already? Let's focus on what's really important:

... can the SNES Classic Mini be hacked like the NES Classic Mini? :p

All signs point to a resounding "Nintendo don't care", but I'd love to have confirmation from someone who already has the console.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe preferences on designs can differ, and we can live in peace without insulting those who prefer or use either one. I think we can all enjoy the console without needing to feel superior.

Apparently they reuploaded it. The capture looks fine, and I don't notice the thing you're talking about.
At first glance it does. But if you look at their comparison vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXPEEHOq8aQ#t=42s you'll see SMK doesn't run as smooth as it's supposed to. On Wii U it's perfect 60fps while on the Classic it looks more like 45-48fps.
And that's how it also looks in the new vid. Definitely above 30fps but not perfectly smooth 60fps.

Anyone know how Amazon UK treat failed transactions? I'm not paid till the early hours of Thursday morning so if they charge me beforehand it won't go thru. Bit worried they will cancel my order.

They usually send you an e-mail warning you that your credit card failed to authorize payment and give you the chance to choose a new payment method.

But what I fail to understand is why there are so many people worried with a problem like this, if you don't have enough money in your bank account to buy something you pre-ordered at the time of release, then you have bigger problems in your life...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The only people defending the US version are going to be people who grew up with a US SNES and are nostalgic about it. The design is just awful. Japan/EU SNES is much better.

Looking forward to getting hold of this on Friday. I have a Pi already but the form factor and the controllers will make this much more fun to play around with.

At first glance it does. But if you look at their comparison vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXPEEHOq8aQ#t=42s you'll see SMK doesn't run as smooth as it's supposed to. On Wii U it's perfect 60fps while on the Classic it looks more like 45-48fps.
And that's how it also looks in the new vid. Definitely above 30fps but not perfectly smooth 60fps.

May sound cliche but I still can't notice the difference. Have you tried other places and see if they have capture comparisons? You'd think Digital Foundry would be into this.

Markitron

But what I fail to understand is why there are so many people worried with a problem like this, if you don't have enough money in your bank account to buy something you pre-ordered at the time of release, then you have bigger problems in your life...

Well this is just downright condescending.

Well this is just downright condescending.

No, its an opinion, eveyone has the right to have one, even you saying its condescending.
I just said that I don't understand, I didn't condone anyone in particular. I don't spend what I don't have expecting to probably have it in a certain time frame. You're free to do what you want with your life. But this right here is why I see so meny people loosing their houses or going bankrupt in my country, they overspend and don't think about the future. I've seen it with friends and still can't understand their mentality towards the subject, I've lost a couple of (bad friends) because I wouldn't lent them money to buy something non-essencial because they didn't have money at the time but they expected to have some later on.

No, its an opinion, eveyone has the right to have one, even you saying its condescending.
I just said that I don't understand, I didn't condone anyone in particular. I don't spend what I don't have expecting to probably have it in a certain time frame. You're free to do what you want with your life. But this right here is why I see so meny people loosing their houses or going bankrupt in my country, they overspend and don't think about the future. I've seen it with friends and still can't understand their mentality towards the subject, I've lost a couple of (bad friends) because I wouldn't lent them money to buy something non-essencial because they didn't have money at the time but they expected to have some later on.

Motherfuckers here ain't losing a house over a plug-n-play, dude.

Markitron

Yes, it's a condescending opinion. Projecting your experiences onto others in a thread about a £70 console is an unnecessary derailment. I suggest you start a thread in the OT forum if these issues bother you so much.

I'm glad I came in this thread to see someone make wide ranging judgements on someone's financial situation after they asked an innocuous question and to look for the slightest opening to pontificate about financial responsibility. For fuck's sake dude.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could find one here in South America, for a reasonable price. I don't care if it's the US or European version. Sadly none of the Amazon stores are selling it (or if they are, it's a reseller).

Thany you for adding such a quality quote to the discussion and totally missing the big picture. For more information, go learn about the Greek (and to a lesser extent, the Portuguese and Irish) situation.

Motherfuckers ain't plunging their economy to debt through borrowing over a plug-n-play, dude.

I only just discovered I need a power adapter in Europe. Will any USB power adapter work? I have a bunch because phones. I do not fancy going out and getting a new one.

Typical Nintendo, expecting us to have a smartphone, again.

Markitron

Thany you for adding such a quality quote to the discussion and totally missing the big picture. For more information, go learn about the Greek (and to a lesser extent, the Portuguese and Irish) situation.

Mate, seriously, nobody gives a shit. Go and regurgitate your recently read articles somewhere else, we're talking about Metroid and Mario here.

I only just discovered I need a power adapter in Europe. Will any USB power adapter work? I have a bunch because phones. I do not fancy going out and getting a new one.

You don't need an AC adaptor, just plug it into your TV (or receiver if you have one), that should power it.

Robin64

Yeah, all the ones you have lying around from phones will work. As will a PC, a TV's USB socket, etc.

ViciousDS

Banned
Isn't the snes version of FFVI the superior one? I never actually got to complete it in full and it's still my favorite story of any FF

Also have never played earthbound over here in the states so I'm excited to go into that blind

Joey Ravn

Banned

Yep. Any microUSB cable will do.

Also, "my freedom of speech!" in an SNES Classic Mini thread. Come on.

Isn't the snes version of FFVI the superior one? I never actually got to complete it in full and it's still my favorite story of any FF

Also have never played earthbound over here in the states so I'm excited to go into that blind

It's definitely the best. Or at least tied for the best, if you take into account the restoration patches for the GBA version.

Robin64

The GBA one is probably the best, especially if you patch in the original palette and high quality music. It added a bunch of content the SNES one doesn't have. But the SNES one does crap all over the PSX one.

To anyone who already has an SNES Classic and also has an NES Classic: When you use your SNES controller on the NES, which buttons does it use? B/A or Y/B? Really hoping it's Y/B, would make it a nice 2nd controller in case Nintendo doesn't produce more NES controllers next year alongside the console.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe preferences on designs can differ, and we can live in peace without insulting those who prefer or use either one. I think we can all enjoy the console without needing to feel superior.
Pfft, you're asking too much of your average internet user.

Mate, seriously, nobody gives a shit. Go and regurgitate your recently read articles somewhere else, we're talking about Metroid and Mario here.

First, I wasn't talkin to you, it was to the village idiot. Second, I don't need to read articles, I'm living it. And we're done here.

ViciousDS

Banned
The GBA one is probably the best, especially if you patch in the original palette and high quality music. It added a bunch of content the SNES one doesn't have. But the SNES one does crap all over the PSX one.

Sweet the only one I ever had was the psx version and it felt odd with slow transitions to everything at times.

Markitron

I was under the impression that the PSN version is absolutely terrible, that's why I haven't bothered with it. Are you referring to the actual PS1 disc version? I always assumed it had the same problems as the PSN version.

jacobeid

Banned
They usually send you an e-mail warning you that your credit card failed to authorize payment and give you the chance to choose a new payment method.

I have tens of thousands of dollars sitting in a savings account and just depending on what card I use (I.e., debit card on a Thursday night) I could be in the same situation as that poster. Condescending and unnecessary as fuck.

First, I wasn't talkin to you, it was to the village idiot. Second, I don't need to read articles, I'm living it. And we're done here.

Yeah, feel free to leave. We won't miss those kinds of posts.

Robin64

I was under the impression that the PSN version is absolutely terrible, that's why I haven't bothered with it. Are you referring to the actual PS1 disc version? I always assumed it had the same problems as the PSN version.

Yeah, they're one and the same. It's such a slow experience.

May sound cliche but I still can't notice the difference. Have you tried other places and see if they have capture comparisons? You'd think Digital Foundry would be into this.
I can definitely see a difference in smoothness when I watch at the Wii U footage on the right and then the Classic on the right.

But in this DF Preview Video of the Classic the emulation looks perfect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7clAI1DoM

So it's really probably just GameXplain.

Markitron

Firstly; I was the one you originally targeted for your off-topic condescending nonsense so forgive me chiming in on the discussion. Secondly; going wildly off topic, attacking people's financial situation for no reason and calling people 'village idiot' is a good way of getting banned. We wouldn't want to be deprived of your intelligent opinions on important world matters now would we?

ViciousDS

Banned
Walmart says Monday delivery.......NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Whatever just recently bought a 2DSXL for Pokémon, guess I'll play that -sigh-

Mystical ninja was a great co-op game for me and my brother, such a shame its not on there.

Out of interest, what would you trade for it if you could?
They are all cracking games but I would probably swap out Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for it.

Its rock solid and I know I wouldn't enjoy it.

The rest are amazing though

I'd ditch F-Zero. Sorry, everyone, but lack of multiplayer for a racing game makes me a sad elephant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom