• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Rifle and Chainsaw in these new images of Final Fantasy XV

DpadD

Banned
OP is a dick for the thread title IMO

I don't even really care about this game, or spoilers in general really..

.. I'm just thinking of poor Michael Huber.

That's why I'd still get the game. lol

I'm a super huge fan of FFVI, but to be perfectly honest, it's not like the original FFVI had a masterpiece of a combat system anyway, far from it. The general gameplay is flawed in numerous ways, from stats not working to tedious Esper grinding to glitch/bugs to really unbalanced/broken gameplay mechanics (Cyan is so useless in combat for instance, whereas Gau can be also useless or OP to the max) to fairly slow battle pacing.

I've always wanted to try one of those fan patch that fixes these issues to certain degree, but when I begin reminiscing about the great experience I had with this game, I'd just open Youtube and listen the fantastic OST instead. :|

Yeah, I increasingly find that indulging my nostalgia with music from games is a lot more efficient than trying to go back and actually play said games.

Aters

You know what, despite the fact that chain-saw and guns are definitely a thing in old FFs, I kind of understand why people would say "this is not the FF I remember".

When you have guns and chain-saw in a turn-base RPG, they really just are another set of icons. You use them the same way you use other JRPG weapons: select them in the menu. It doesn't occur to you that "we CoD now". In FFXV, you actually shoot your gun, with scoop and everything, and that's where the Gears vibe kicks in. I don't think people should be surprised to see guns in FFXV, however, because the 2011 VXIII gameplay trailer clearly shows Prompto shooting his pistol with full TPS mechanics, back then you can control your bros.

Wonder how many ff's people actually played I thought my number going into this game was bad but the way some talk..maybe not
I haven't played many entries for FF, but even then, I know modern weapons have been a thing since way back when. Vincent with his handgun, Irvine with his sniper rifle, Balthier with his gun, and Sazh with his pistols. Seeing Noctis use a Sniper with looking through the scope seems like a natural evolution of the style.

Jimm

Noctis channeling his inner Zarya.

edie: just read the other comments, how could I forget Edgar too haha

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Gears of Fantasy

Fantasy of War

Modern Fantasy

Final Warfare

Final Duty

Man, do I miss the old style of Final Fantasy games...

People will probably say this about FFXVI, FFXVII, FFXVIII, FFXIX, FFXX.

finalflame

FFIX is hardly "Medieval"

latest

alexandria6ew.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Sure bud.

finalflame

Yeah but later you get black mage factory and clone aliens. FFIX takes a lot from medieval but it's more than that.

Of course it's more than that, but the predominant setting, architecture, themes are medieval fantasy. Swords, magic, etc. As opposed to this futuristic gun and boy band in a car bullshit.

I think XV looks alright, just .. not my setting of choice. IX and XIV have my favorite settings by far.

notaskwid

Sure bud.

latest

invincible.JPG

ark9-b2.jpg

yciOgcb.jpg

54-PSOGL2_120.jpg

Sure, Alexandria and Dali are very "medieval like". Same can't be said for Treno that looks more like a XVIII century European city, or Lindblum that has fucking aircabs. Burmecia you only get to see destroyed and abandoned, does kind of have a medieval feel to it. That' just the Mist continent.
I know what you mean, but I don't think the game is "medieval". Not like a Witcher or a Dragon Quest.

Heh, opening this thread thinking "Let's see how many people forgot Edgar and Vincent used similar weapons" made the first few pages a fun read.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Most Final Fantasy games are more Renaissance than Medieval. Renaissance style tech and styles are pretty common in all the "medieval" titles. Pirates and ship design. Building architecture. Transportation systems and advanced ironworks. Steam engines. Wood stoves. The earliest settings still fit pretty comfortably in that early Renaissance late Medieval 1300s/1400s era overlap.

Top Bottom