• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Dark Souls II [PC] is launching in less then a month and there's no footage of it.

Anybody who skips this because the game doesn't look like the tech demo is nuts.

Good game is still good. Y'all 're just upset because you're not being treated special because you spent $$$$ on your machines.

Bring the lighting back for PS4 version, FROM.

I already have it on PS3, and spent $129 on the collector's edition. I just want the product that was shown the first time.

Adry9

At least the PORT runs smooth. No day 1 for me, hate this shitty practices some companies are getting used to.

UnrealEck

Good game is still good. Y'all 're just upset because you're not being treated special because you spent $$$$ on your machines.

Since you're obviously 'out of the loop', let me fill you in.

PC version was supposedly lead platform.
The game already looked a good bit better than it does now.
They downgraded the game for console hardware.
PC was obviously not lead.

HRose

Banned
Anybody who skips this because the game doesn't look like the tech demo is nuts.

It's worse than DS1 PC port after it was fixed.

Btw, my old PC doesn't meet the minimum specs of DS2, but I played DS1 with only very minimal fps drops (under 30) in Blighttown, and even then in very specific situations.

We'll see if DS2 won't run WORSE than DS1. I'm sure it will.

All we got now is false claims by journalists who don't explain their comments.

Giantbomb says "boy does it look nice!". It does not. It looks crap and it looks worse than DS1 after all the claims of BRAND NEW ENGINE BUILT ON PC.

It's all total bullshit and the media should be ashamed for not calling FROM out on this.

Just preordered.

Was waiting on comfirmation that it was a good port before purchasing. I will never understand how people can be so picky with this peticular game. If sales are poor it's easy too see them skipping a pc version next time.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Looks great IMO. Of course it isnt the same as the early showings but it still looks good.

Grief.exe

Even with the downgrade I'm still thinking that Dark Souls II was PC lead platform.

The port is amazing. 1080p/60 on even lower end machines, great loading times.
Any work in last-gen engine compatibilities are a wasted investment at this point.
Both the PS3 and 360 version have significant issues.

Still trying to make the GB video work, but so far the PC version boils down to the console game running in 1080p/60fps
Well, it does suck that the initial vision was compromised, but to have a great port is really all I could ask for anymore. I won't be skipping this; part of the problem? Maybe, but this series means too much to me to punish myself and skip.

I'll be very annoyed if they do actually have next-gen versions coming that return to the original vision.

UnrealEck

I think to be honest, this is fine. I think some of us are too focussed on how the game looked during development and the fact that it had to be changed is a bummer. But this seems like a fair port. The menus are all done and it generally just looks like a fine, standard PC port. Even watching a video at 720p you can see it looks better.

Ridiculous. Now FROM is rivaling Ubisoft in terms of downgrade.

But at least this crap is rendered at higher resolution and higher framerate, right?

Rivaling? They have completely outclassed them. No Ubisoft downgrade has been as severe as this.

Getting it when it hits the bargain bin.

Plus take note that the Steam site is now confirmed to scam people since they're still using the pre-downgraded TGS trailer. And no, no disclaimers like "pre-alpha footage" or anything like that.

legacyzero

Banned
Sad about the lighting :(

But as Brad said, I'm more worried about the textures. I hate seeing repeat textures still...

Let the modding commence! I know I'm going to be downsampling the shit out of this if this is as good a port as they say, so that will clean up the image quality real nice.

I guess we won't know about resolutions over 1080 until launch then, huh? The resolution options showed arrows to the left and right of 1920x1080, but I don't know if the menu rolls over or if it just continues to higher res.

Garcia

Dude, the Mirror Knight will definitely look great. The
Pursuer
looks gorgeous with all those shiny effects on its armor.

Arkanius

Thanks for all the replies guys, no point quoting you, since you all said basically the same. They did remove the screenshots, but that didn't happen until they were "caught" in the action.

So they basically lied then.

They said PC was lead platform, which is now a lie. Why is that? The reason the lighting was degraded completly from consoles was due to "perfomance", by that logic PC should have had the lighting in the first place.

CJS is a trustworthy reseller, i've bought keys from them for years+all the other million happy customers. I do not care if they are official or not.

GMG was a cheap place, but since they fucked over european customers, i'm putting all my money into other vendors.

Thank god for pre-order. I'm gonna cancell my game now, and buy the russian version weeks/months from now. Any product that starts out with a lie is worth 0 money.

Touché.
They aren't getting my money.

Just preordered.

Was waiting on comfirmation that it was a good port before purchasing. I will never understand how people can be so picky with this peticular game. If sales are poor it's easy too see them skipping a pc version next time.

Game has been on the Top 10 to 20 best selling on Steam since it was put up for pre-orders. Hell, it dethroned everything during the first days. I doubt it's not a best seller!

Grief.exe

If you already own Dark Souls 2 and are thinking about dropping a similar amount on the PC port, this stands as one of the few examples of justifiable double-dipping. True, there's no new content to speak of, but the cosmetic and functional improvements make the console versions feel like the laserdisc to the PC port's Blu-Ray. So if you've been biding your time for Dark Souls 2's PC release, don't worry: You made the right choice. And I can only hope I didn't just make things worse for you.

KXWea8Y.jpg

I guess we won't know about resolutions over 1080 until launch then, huh? The resolution options showed arrows to the left and right of 1920x1080, but I don't know if the menu rolls over or if it just continues to higher res.

Unless they have downsampling set up, then the options won't show higher resolutions. Most journalists don't seem to have the technical competence to set something like that up.

Well, it does suck that the initial vision was compromised, but to have a great port is really all I could ask for anymore. I won't be skipping this; part of the problem? Maybe, but this series means too much to me to punish myself and skip.

I'll be very annoyed if they do actually have next-gen versions coming that return to the original vision.
I won't judge anyone for buying it, spend your money however you like. But these past couple months haven't exactly hyped me up for this game.

I'll still play it eventually, I just can't bring myself to drop 85 BRL on it. I might change my mind if the Giantbomb player gets me a decent look at the game, but so far that shit ain't working for no reason.

Rivaling? They have completely outclassed them. No Ubisoft downgrade has been as severe as this.

Getting it when it hits the bargain bin.

Plus take note that the Steam site is now confirmed to scam people since they're still using the pre-downgraded TGS trailer. And no, no disclaimers like "pre-alpha footage" or anything like that.

It's a shitty thing they did but everyone is being a bit ridiculous with this amount of hyperbole. Yeah its shitty it looks like Dark Souls 1 now, but it does not look worse, looks better in some areas. It's just not next gen graphics like they claimed.

Also it seems like they took the last 2 videos down, I can only see CG trailers on steam.

HRose

Banned
P.S.

We should also point out (and NO ONE DOES) that all the claims about DS2 being FIVE times BIGGER than DS1 are completely utter bullshit.

DS2 takes virtually the same amount to complete as DS1+expansion (and has less zones). Actually slightly less on the aggregates numbers.

The "content" itself is aligned with DS1. A good half is stuff cut from DS1 and pasted into DS2. Even stuff like number of swords available is very slightly increased in DS2 by a few units (and if you take out NG+ content, even less).

If we count the actual original content in DS2 is far less than DS1. If we count the whole package including stuff coming from DS1, it's still DS1 plus a 10-20%.

Why the media never calls out developers on these things? If the devs claim a game is five times bigger then they should be ridiculed if their claims are revealed as completely bullshit.

Sad about the lighting :(

But as Brad said, I'm more worried about the textures. I hate seeing repeat textures still...

Let the modding commence! I know I'm going to be downsampling the shit out of this if this is as good a port as they say, so that will clean up the image quality real nice.

Indeed. I think that if Durante or any other people with such inclination decide to mod the game it will look far better than DS1.

I can just imagine some mod that adds better AO, and downsampling...and texture mods making some of those repeat textures much less offensive.

The game will look amazing.

derwalde

seeing this reactions and where it started, to me its no wonder things like this happens. publisher and gamedevs lie to us and all of a sudden it "looks very good" and we throw our money at them. calling this a competent port is hilarious on itself, when fromsoft clearly stated the PC would be lead.. im part of the problem (as i bought the ps3 version). :( but i wont double dip on PC, no way.

soontroll

Banned

Bring the lighting back for PS4 version, FROM.

Looks like the dumb comments are back.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Did GMG announce that they won't be doing any discount vouchers during the pre-purchase period? The PC Collectors Edition was gifted to me, but I don't want to open it, I was hoping that GMG would supply a 25% discount voucher.

There will likely be a 20% off discount after April 11th and before April 24th

Indeed. I think that if Durante or any other people with such inclination decide to mod the game it will look far better than DS1.

I can just imagine some mod that adds better AO, and downsampling...and texture mods making some of those repeat textures much less offensive.

The game will look amazing.

If they can somehow at least get some fixes in for the missing textures/geometry.

Maybe even get rid of that god awful ugly moss that is everywhere.

Id be happy with that

So it definitely looks better with the higher res and 60fps. Things Betwixt's tunnels look darker than on console. I just want someone to walk down that staircase leading to the ninja turtles.

soontroll

Banned
Just started watching the Giant Bomb video and man, the higher resolution really does make a difference and it just looks really smooth.

Wow, actually watching that Giantbomb QL, looks like the specular mapping definitely looks better. On The Per
suer
his armor looks WAY better. I don't remember his shield looking that shiny. Looks awesome!

Gbraga

Wow, the Pursuer looks really different. I assume they fixed the Mirror Knight thing where the lighting wasn't being displayed properly on his armor?

soontroll

Banned
P.S.

We should also point out (and NO ONE DOES) that all the claims about DS2 being FIVE times BIGGER than DS1 are completely utter bullshit.

DS2 takes virtually the same amount to complete as DS1+expansion (and has less zones). Actually slightly less on the aggregates numbers.

The "content" itself is aligned with DS1. A good half is stuff cut from DS1 and pasted into DS2. Even stuff like number of swords available is very slightly increased in DS2 by a few units (and if you take out NG+ content, even less).

If we count the actual original content in DS2 is far less than DS1. If we count the whole package including stuff coming from DS1, it's still DS1 plus a 10-20%.

Why the media never calls out developers on these things? If the devs claim a game is five times bigger then they should be ridiculed if their claims are revealed as completely bullshit.

Hm I don't think FromSoft actually said it was five times bigger.

Garcia

Objects still pop-in on the PC version: 19:00 minute mark. When he rotates the camera to the left (where the guy is sitting) you can clearly see those barrels materializing out of nowhere.

Metal shaders improve the quality of some enemies. The turtle guys look so much better now.

Fireflu

I wish I could watch this 60fps footage but the Giant Bomb player refuses to start, tried it on three different machines and it just wont go! Save us Gamersyde D:

Top Bottom