• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Driveclub's new added tech?

pixelbox

And for who want to know what the technique is called, its "Self shadowing parallax occlusion mapping" or SSPOM as we refer to it ;)

Straight from Rushy:Check out @Rushy33's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/665204795725205504?s=01

dc_newtech20151db1n.gif

I'm going to check it out know!

5taquitos

Sexy, going to see how noticeable it is after work

Edit: I'm a little confused about the wording, is this currently in the game or planned for an upcoming update?

Pachimari

Did a new update hit the game? Isn't this for an upcoming update?

[edit]
Just read the tweet. Reads like it were added in the last update.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They must be prepping for another game with the same engine right? Come on Motorstorm!

Max_Po

Banned
These guys have stepped up and I am happy that the game sold 2 Million.

The game is superb.

I keep going back to it and finishing stuff.

I just hope there is a Complete Edition/Season 1 with everything on Disc.

And for who want to know what the technique is called, its "Self shadowing parallax occlusion mapping" or SSPOM as we refer to it ;)

Straight from Rushy:Check out @Rushy33's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/665204795725205504?s=01

dc_newtech20151db1n.gif

I'm going to check it out know!

Pom with self shadowing, nice! Although, self shadowing pom has been in games for quite some time.
pomexs0a.png

Huh. I've heard of POM before, but not SSPOM. Has any other game used it before?
Considering that they coined the term SSPOM, their method is probably the first.
They may have self termed it, but it is not exactly new: cryengine pom has been self shadowing since CE2.
Did POM ever work with AF anywhere? Let alone this "SSPOM"

It only did not work with AF in the very first version of CE 2: which was an oversight and not a shader limitation. It works fine in other games: Bioshock 1-2, F.E.A.R., etc, Crysis 2, 3, etc....

thelastword

Banned
Wow those weak consoles.......;) can do this.

I was waiting to see how they were going to improve the engine, SSPOM and I hope the AF and AA solution is improved too. let's see if they improve textures as well. So much for this is all the consoles can do talk. arguably the most impressive looking game on all platforms continues to make much more than tangible strides in game and in-engine visuals.

thelastword

Banned
EVO are stepping up into tech wizards class
They were always tech wizards. Did you see the WRC games on the PS2? The Motorstorm games was also ahead of the curve on tech as well. Note: the mud deformation in MS1, the jungle setting, water and texture work in part 2, the huge vistas of the first two games, especially the first and the insane effects in Apocalyse. Their sense of speed has always been off the charts in every game they had too. If EVO does make a 60fps game/racer in the future, I suspect it will be even faster than Wipeout or Fzero GX

AerialAir

Banned
These guys have stepped up and I am happy that the game sold 2 Million.

The game is superb.

I keep going back to it and finishing stuff.

I just hope there is a Complete Edition/Season 1 with everything on Disc.

They did that bundle with the season pass for 20$ and I think they'll stop there.

Top Bottom