• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So ESRB has rated Suikoden 2 for Sony Systems.

Tizoc

Ha ha, good find. OP was so busy trying to fool everyone with the topic title he didn't read the information properly.

I totally forgot the PS4...prob. cuz I don't own one :V

It'd be cool if the MG Company does what Capcom did and released various PSX classics one after another each week or 2.

Glad to see PSX classics still coming out every once in a while. Makes a Vita purchase a bit more tempting.

Would love for OP to explain his bullshit, though!

inki

15112-17920.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I was thinking "didn't this already happen?" Hopefully it actually comes out this time.

I wonder what is taking so long though. Are there any weird licensing situations with this game? I thought it was just Konami. Suikoden 1 has been up for years and they should know 2 would be in high demand. Part of me hopes they were able to work with Sony and fix some of the localization issues, but that's probably not it (not aware of any PS1 games being changed from the originals).

Edit: Now that I think about it, I remember something about emulation issues with this game? Don't remember where I saw that, might have just been speculation here.

Niahak

Would love to see this, even though I have my physical copy it will make my next play-through portable.

Konami's been streaming it a bunch and they were almost finished last I heard... so hopefully this is a good sign.

Now they just need to release Suikoden 3 as a classic and a way to actually load S2 data into it on the PS3... and Suikoden 5.

They can release 4 after everyone's played the best games. Maybe after Tactics, too.

Haven't Konami been tweeting playthroughs of Suikoden recently, too? Too keep it relevant...for a reason, I'm sure.

Last tweet was yesterday about finishing the collectables in SII.

Lucreto

Still waiting for Suikoden 1 in Europe.

I have been watching the Twitch streams of Suikoden 1 and 2 and I want to play them again.

Tiu Neo

It's Happening? Please, be happening. I hope Yuichi plan did work.

But then, again, it's the, what, third time this game is rated for PS3?

Are they any good? I don't remember them reviewing well at the time.

You remember incorrectly. Suikoden 3 reviewed exceptionaly well and is far and away the best reviewed game in the series.

5 received somewhat mediocre reviews as it is highly derivative and doesn't run well. The online fanbase loves it, but the game bombed.

squall211

Trying to keep my expectations in check. I got really excited when it first appeared on the ESRB back in April (?), and then nothing. I'll be pleasently surprised if it finally gets a release. I've been wanting to play the game for years, and I have refused to play Suikoden III, IV, or V until I have a chance to play II, even though I own them all.

I want to believe.

I hope it's not the same monkey over at Konami who put up the ESRB entry for the game the last time, only for it to be pulled.

Zaku

Yeah, I was thinking "didn't this already happen?" Hopefully it actually comes out this time.

I wonder what is taking so long though. Are there any weird licensing situations with this game? I thought it was just Konami. Suikoden 1 has been up for years and they should know 2 would be in high demand. Part of me hopes they were able to work with Sony and fix some of the localization issues, but that's probably not it (not aware of any PS1 games being changed from the originals).

Edit: Now that I think about it, I remember something about emulation issues with this game? Don't remember where I saw that, might have just been speculation here.

If I recall correctly, it's two issues: The emulation was a bit wonky, but there's also the fact that Suikoden II, as awesome as it is, is a very buggy game. There's quite a few glitches and other badness within the game's code, which may have meant it was having trouble getting cert'd for North American rerelease.

I may be entirely mistaken, of course.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If I recall correctly, it's two issues: The emulation was a bit wonky, but there's also the fact that Suikoden II, as awesome as it is, is a very buggy game. There's quite a few glitches and other badness within the game's code, which may have meant it was having trouble getting cert'd for North American rerelease.

I may be entirely mistaken, of course.

The game has untranslated stuff too:

oops.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't know about V, but III reviewed really well. I remember reading the reviews and cursing my lack of a PS2 at the time.

I thought V was very good and rank it next to II. V had a lot going on and it played a lot like the PSone Suikodens. My gripes were: overly easy, easy-to-miss characters, slow start.

My rank goes like this: II > V >= I > III >>>>>>> IV

Syril

Are they any good? I don't remember them reviewing well at the time.
III has a really great story, but the gameplay felt really railroaded. I don't remember having much freedom to choose my party most of the time, and I remember there being a bunch of party members that were only available to use for very short periods. The battle system had a weird pairing mechanic where you could only choose one character in a pair to give a command to, and the other one would pick an action automatically that was supposed to compliment it.

I'd buy it. I didn't like 1, but I really enjoyed 5 (made it about 30 hours into it). I hear 2 is the best so it'd be a great one to play.

I thought V was very good and rank it next to II. V had a lot going on and it played a lot like the PSone Suikodens. My gripes were: overly easy, easy-to-miss characters, slow start.

This is pretty much my ranking as well. Main problems with V are that the load times are really bad & that the game has a rather slow start. Other than those issues, it's an excellent game.

Zaku

This is pretty much my ranking as well. Main problems with V are that the load times are really bad & that the game has a rather slow start. Other than those issues, it's an excellent game.

Count me in for II > V = I > III >∞> IV, Tactics

I & II are instant classics, and V was a final return to form even if it had a slow start. III tried too many new things at once (multiple protagonists, strange battle system) and IV and Tactics were just plain bad by comparison.

I really hope we see something new from Konami in the Suikoden series. While obviously by this point very few people will still be carrying a Suikoden save file (I carried one from I-III, IV made me drop it, and I only tried V on a lark after the disappointment of IV), I think that might actually be a good thing for the series.

They could get a fresh start and maybe get a clean break away from the current series chronology (which would be completely lost on the majority of the audience anyway), much like Ultimate did for Marvel.

C'mon Konami.

Baust

I've never played a Suikoden, but if I knew the second was on the way...

If this happens, I'll probably jump on the first game and finally play it before this lands.

Man, I think I got Suikoden II for like $20 (or less) back in the day, I wish I would've bought all the copies they had.

I'll also agree with this.

IV was retched...

Meneses

I actually liked IV more than III. Didn't like III's combat system and it always felt like a slog to me. If I recall correctly, I got almost to the end and didn't even finish it.

I also enjoyed Tactics quite a bit, I love SRPGs.

II and V are the undisputed top of my list, though.

Yeah, I'm pretty much exactly on board with this

But, to be fair, I really don't think IV is a terrible game per se, just a really bad Suikoden

Tizoc

Glad to see PSX classics still coming out every once in a while. Makes a Vita purchase a bit more tempting.

Would love for OP to explain his bullshit, though!

This one time I made a thread about a PSN promo for buy for $100, get some cash back.
The links I used as 'confirmation' were from a year ago.
Some days later, boom, US PSN announce their buy for $100, get $15 back promo.

Like last time this happened, I doubt it means anything. Though I would love for it to be true, so more people can experience this true classic.

Top Bottom