• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So GAF... do you think Square is doing ANYTHING with the Chrono IP atm?

Whether that be a full-fledged new game or just something like a CT HD-2D remake, do you think Square is doing anything with Chrono?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
My guess is yes. Whether or not it ever sees the light of day is a different story.

Chrono Break coming soon.
Matrix No GIF

poodaddy

Nope.

And honestly they can't be trusted with it anyway, so maybe it's a good thing. Modern Square is diarrhea, and they'd probably just fuck up a hallowed franchise.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They can never top the original so they will never make a direct sequel. At best we may get mediocre off shoots.

I think they were. I believe Square was very interested in bringing it back. But with Toriyama‘s passing, I am honestly not sure, any more.

The Cross remaster was probably Square's way of testing the waters, but I don't remember seeing anything reported about how well it did sales-wise (which probably means it didn't do very well).

ReyBrujo

They could port the original to Switch. On a physical cartridge. Would be easy money but Square doesn't like such evil things.

They did the Pixel Remaster for FF, they did the Collection of Mana, they even did Chrono Cross... there must have been a reason for not doing Chrono Trigger...

Shifty1897

I would think they're either doing an HD-2D remake of it or a pixel remaster of it. Just not sure which.

I hope they do an HD-2D remaster and give it to Gemdrops.

IAmRei

Chrono Break coming soon.
Hope doesnt break for real ... Looking SE at the moment is kind of scary. Im also talking about FF9R, there are some people here talking about the way ff7 changes in ff7r in bad way. I hope they doesnt change the story much in weird way if FF9R and Chrono Break (or whatever the sequel name is)

Furball

Hope doesnt break for real ... Looking SE at the moment is kind of scary. Im also talking about FF9R, there are some people here talking about the way ff7 changes in ff7r in bad way. I hope they doesnt change the story much in weird way if FF9R and Chrono Break (or whatever the sequel name is)
as long as they avoid Yoshiori Kitase CBU1 ( alway do crazy thing ) and Yoshida CBU3 ( can only copy exist game design ) . Those game will be safe

Last edited:

simpatico

They're secretly funding a full budget, 2D epic with hand drawn sprites and backgrounds. They quietly hired a ton of old veteran devs back and they're already hard at work. The soundtrack will change lives and possibly bring about world peace. All these new junky games they've been releasing are just a ruse to throw people off the 2D Chrono trail. It's like a really expensive performance art marketing op.

The physical version will come in a 4 disc jewel case with a 67 page color manual.

/goodtimeline

SpiceRacz

I sure as fuck hope not. I'm content to replay that game in it's original form for the rest of my life. GOAT RPG.

Go_Ly_Dow

I mean it's personal tastes. But I'll bite. How so?
Superior soundtrack, atmosphere, unique art direction for a JRPG, more immersion.

The story offers more mystery. The world is more interesting and beautiful with each place having a very different vibe.

Love the large cast and extra freedom around that.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Superior soundtrack, atmosphere, unique art direction for a JRPG, more immersion.

The story offers more mystery. The world is more interesting and beautiful with each place having a very different vibe.

Love the large cast and extra freedom around that.
Fair enough. Having played the game twice, I feel the complete opposite, but if all that resonates with you more, then yeah it would be better.

Top Bottom