• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So has Metroid Prime 2:E bombed in the states or not?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
drohne said:
metroid prime's problem isn't that it delays gratification, it's that it isn't gratifying.
Subjective. I find the mere act of being rewarded with access to a new area or a new enemy to fight gratification enough.

I think many critics of Metroid Prime go about it the wrong way -- I often hear statements like, "You mean I just backtracked all this way to get a missile upgrade? FUCK YOU NINTENDO!" The point of Metroid Prime, unlike many other games, isn't what you get, but rather the experience of getting it -- being alone on an alien world, taking in the atmosphere, learning about the lifeforms, etc. It is an odd sort of fun, I'll admit, but for those who like it, it is fun nonetheless. To approach the game as if it were any objective-based shooter is a mistake, though (drohne, I'm not saying that you are guilty of this, as I think your stated case for disliking Prime is legitimate for you, but rather as a general statement).

drohne said:
you're reverting to the preposterous implication that metroid prime is somehow "highbrow," rather than just boring. videogames are a basically lowbrow, populist medium. it doesn't require erudition or refinement to enjoy them. metroid prime's problem isn't that it delays gratification, it's that it isn't gratifying.

I have not said anything of the kind. The game appeals to me. I find gratification in being thorough in exploring the world and setting the game places me in. I find the experience as a whole - the state of immersion - created by the developers to be delightful and seldom ever found in most games. From a technical point of view it is as close to perfection a game as I have ever played. The rules are well defined. The challenge is just right. Is it a good solid game. One of the best in my book.

You're attempting to state opinion and personal taste as fact and backing it up with sales numbers. I do not trust the masses with their taste of anything. Do you?

AniHawk

Attempting to discuss things with drohne on Prime is like trying to talk me into liking Jak II (or Prime). Not gonna happen, people.

Thaedolus

Since I knew I would be playing Half-Life 2 and MGS3, I put Metroid Prime 2 off until Christmas...I'm sure that's the reason for the 'bomb', sorry guys I'm sure Santa will bring it, returning the sales to normal

SantaC

This was not meant to be a metroid prime 1 & 2 bash thread, but what can you do :/

Metroid prime 2 is amazing. I like it better than the original because of better atmosphere, tougher bosses, better upgrades and cooler music. (love the menu music!)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i haven't attempted to state anything as fact, and the line about vindication was more or less facetious. but that said, i have no particular contempt for the gaming "masses," and i don't think metroid prime is too sophisticated for mass consumption.

drohne said:
you're reverting to the preposterous implication that metroid prime is somehow "highbrow," rather than just boring. videogames are a basically lowbrow, populist medium. it doesn't require erudition or refinement to enjoy them. metroid prime's problem isn't that it delays gratification, it's that it isn't gratifying.

Why does our comments always come off as if you believe its fact, and others are just farts in the wind. I guess some just like games that induce a thought process, while others prefer kill fest. I like both so, it may not be gratifying for you, but it sure in the hell is for me.

Don't drama's do ya.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Ah well. Most people I know (myself included) who bought the first, didn't really care about picking up the second with so many compelling other games to buy. And the couple of people who did, didn't seem to say it was better than the first so there was no compelling word of mouth among them to make me feel like it's worth getting now. I suspect it will be $20 sooner rather than later.

TheDiave

Banned
I can't figure it if this is a "Nintendo is doomed" or an actual serious question, worded a little bit on the dipshit-ish side. It's a shame the ToS can't be modified to make "...is doomed" threads bannable offenses, because that's all I seem to see lately.

Some mother fucker's always trying to ice skate uphill.

bitwise

Banned
TheDiave said:
I can't figure it if this is a "Nintendo is doomed" or an actual serious question, worded a little bit on the dipshit-ish side. It's a shame the ToS can't be modified to make "...is doomed" threads bannable offenses, because that's all I seem to see lately.

Some mother fucker's always trying to ice skate uphill.

im sure SantaCruzer was trolling Nintendo when he made this thread, like he always does. :p

GET OUT THE BAN STICK!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
How long has MP2 been out, again?

I need to go finish it... I've been busy with a pile of other gaming stuff.

Top Bottom