• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The Xbox 360 was sold out for five or six months. Does no one remember anything?

yeah, this is definitely not true in any way. 360 was pretty readily available by Feb at the latest (~2-3 months after). It was even available in January without "too" much effort (when I got mine). You basically had above a 60% chance of walking in the store on any given day by mid-January and seeing it on store shelves.

For the most part it really just has been the Wii that remained unavailable WELL after launch. I think the only reason people are equating Switch is because it's not the holidays.. but clearly the holidays don't really play into a new hot console being unavailable a month or two after launch.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
my desire to play zelda finally got the best of me and i bought the game and a pro controller. ordered the system online since it was about €25 cheaper there than it was in the store. doesn't seem to be difficult to get in finland.

the store i bought the game in actually had two switches but only one copy of zelda. the only other switch game they had was 1,2 switch, of which they had three copies, but i am not touching that trash.

heyf00L

After weeks of waiting istock finally (for the first time) said a bunch of Targets got neon units. I went to 3 Targets, one was completely sold out, another had 2 gray units, and the third had 4 gray units with 1 being purchased at that moment.

So still waiting.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Why does Nintendo do this? Do they like giving business to scalpers?

not at all tbh lol

Not to sounds rude, but read the page before and it pretty much sums up the issues.

The TL:DR is this
1. Nintendo got burned on the Wii U with overproduction
2. The costs of overproduction is warehousing fees which is extremely expensive
3. Increasing production isn't cheap, and there is a delay between wanting to increase production and actually increasing production

BriGuy

After weeks of waiting istock finally (for the first time) said a bunch of Targets got neon units. I went to 3 Targets, one was completely sold out, another had 2 gray units, and the third had 4 gray units with 1 being purchased at that moment.

So still waiting.

If you were planning on getting more joycons, you could always make your own neon system.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm not using mine at all right now. And I'm in no hurry. Should I sell it to someone who's having a tough time getting it?

I'll echo everyone here and say there was a sizeable restock yesterday and today. And this is before the big restock coming on Friday for Mario Kart with some stores. Should be good!!

boiled goose

good with gravy
I don't see where I said Sony did good and Nintendo not. Both fed the scalpers, really hard - and it's very annoying to me. At least Sony communicated.

Nintendo is definitely horrible about communication.

People are always unsure about what the actual situation is. For example, amiibo for splatoon sold out and second hand and scalping market was making bank. People didn't know if it was single run. Then they made more...

Rayis

Just got mine from GameStop, they got a fresh new shipment today, it's not neon but it's just a color, don't care much about that.

Koppai

So best buy is suppose to be holding them for friday but my store has been selling them. My friend wanted a neon so i told him to go there and get it.

A.J.

Banned
Went in to GameStop today to trade in my old launch PS4 and they are still out of stock. They got one new one in today but it was sold out by the time I got there. They aren't sure when they are getting more in either, so I guess I'm not getting one anytime soon.

frankenthumbs

Neo Member
I just saw a case full of them at a target in Los Angeles, Culver City, on the corner of Jefferson and la cienega. Don't know if they were holding for Mario kart 8

heringer

They have a at least 5 Switches at Walmart in Las Vegas (the one nearest to Bellagio hotel). Grabbed one immediately. Only grey, I think.

Put my preorder in through Amazon if they do get something in stock. Got a wedding and a holiday next week so not in a rush. Literally beaten all my anticipated games except for zelda and think I've waited long enough.

TheContact

Heard a report GameStop got a bunch of shipments yesterday. I already have a switch but I went in there to buy a steam card right before they closed. Asked out of curiosity how man switches they had and she said "a lot"

Nintendo promised Switches for this week at the Gamestop I ordered and there is only one day left in the week. This is some serious bullcrap, it's been over 30 days!!!

Krakatoa

wow its going to be crazy tomorrow, with the launch of MK8 and new Switches arriving. Good luck to everyone waiting to get one.

Tubie

wow its going to be crazy tomorrow, with the launch of MK8 and new Switches arriving. Good luck to everyone waiting to get one.

I wonder if some places will actually sell out of MK8 as well.

I have mine preordered so I'm good, but I can totally see it happening.

Jams775

GOT IT WOO finally! thanks to you!

I fucked up on preorder day when I added it to cart and then had to change my card number or something (don't remember now exactly) and when I went back to place the order, it was no longer available. My hands are a bit shakey because I didn't really expect to suddenly be able to pick it up finally.

Edit: what's a good case/screen protector to get for it? Just bought puyo puyo tetris, BotW, and a pro controller. Any other essentials?

Just bought mine. Will be here in two hours, apparently! Yay Same Day Delivery in Seattle!

Same here for the central valley, California! I had 46 minutes left to get same day too.

TS-08

Take note, gray and for prime members only.

Speaking of which, seems like the last few shipments are maybe gray consoles only? I haven't seen the neon ones come back in stock anywhere recently.

No there's definitely some neon ones in recent restocks as well. There's some posts above yours mentioning it. One user said he saw some at Target. There's just not as many of them.

Kitoro

Any word on if the new Switches are coming non-warped and without the screen scratching issues? I'm assuming new Joy Cons also don't have the connection issues, either?

Jams775

Any word on if the new Switches are coming non-warped and without the screen scratching issues? I'm assuming new Joy Cons also don't have the connection issues, either?

I don't think they've said anything about it. From what I can remember I thought they even denied the joy con conn. issue.

I can find out with mine if I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom