• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends: what's the current situation back in the UK? I wasn't under any impression it was hard to find there since after launch, but a cursory check of Game, Amazon, etc just now shows no stock. Is it a different situation in-store?

Not freely available but if you put some work in you can find one

Kouriozan

I haven't seen stock all week on Amazon.fr and FNAC, I'm checking daily but I guess they get sold out super quickly. 3rd party sellers still put them at 400€.
Just making observation as I already have one.

Exquisik

My local walmart hasn't gotten any in stock in like 3 weeks, both times we got restocked it was only 2 units and they sold that day.

My local Wal-Mart manager was complaining about this when I asked him about the Switch stock. He hated the fact that they only sends a couple at a time and customers calling and asking about it everyday. In fact he hates everything Nintendo now because it happens every time they release a new system.

Does anyone know when the next big shipment will come in? I'm guessing sometime in June for ARMS release?

ekimneems

Neo Member
I got a nowinstock.net notification and was able to order a Switch + Zelda + Controller bundle at Walmart.com. That was at about 5pm EST.

I was able to order for pickup in my local store and they claim it will be ready on Friday.

Hope they make good on that promise

I got a nowinstock.net notification and was able to order a Switch + Zelda + Controller bundle at Walmart.com. That was at about 5pm EST.

I was able to order for pickup in my local store and they claim it will be ready on Friday.

Hope they make good on that promise

I didn't get a notification for some reason but I checked randomly when I stopped my car. Stock came up at like 5:02pm, I got onto the site about 5:05. Was given the option to create the bundle and when I clicked to the next screen it said it was unavailable. I'm holding out for the neon (really do not like the gray at all) but I couldn't believe it was sold out in less than 5 minutes.

I believe the gray bundle sold within the next few mins after the neon too. All in all, both colors were listed and gone from walmart in less than 10 mins.

So discouraging. Brickseek hasn't been much help to me yet either. I'm in northeast PA atm and just about anything within a 100 mile radius is out of stock for target and walmart when I check. I've seen two walmarts that had "in stock" listed and called the store to confirm, to which both said they were out of stock. Been to just about every place that I don't mind driving to just to see if I hit a stroke of luck and catch them right after a shipment or something. Walmart, Target, Kmart, Kohl's, Best Buy, Toy's R Us, GameStop, anywhere that could possibly stock them, lol.

The hunt continues. I understand Nintendo was very apprehensive with Switch especially given the utter failure the Wii U was, but it's really a shame it has to be this way. Reminds me of the struggle to find a Wii way back in the day when it released.

nns3d

I was actually able to grab one earlier this week. I stopped by Target after work and they had like 7 in stock.

I got incredibly lucky when a few weeks ago my mother was able to find one on her first try in a random GameStop in Miami she just walked in to. They had just gotten five in and had two left. I live in Cuba so this was pretty much my only chance on getting one for the next few years. Next is getting a pair of Joy-Cons but we've have had no luck finding neon ones in the few stores my parents visited around Princeton and New York. Maybe we'll have better luck once they're back in Miami.

What are my best chances of finding neon Joy-Cons? What stores would give me better chances? Wal-Mart, Best Buy, GameStop, something else? Or are they all the same? As usual with parents, they're completely clueless about any of this, specially since they can't get around freely and time is very limited, so any kind of guidance would help a lot.

I got incredibly lucky when a few weeks ago my mother was able to find one on her first try in a random GameStop in Miami she just walked in to. They had just gotten five in and had two left. I live in Cuba so this was pretty much my only chance on getting one for the next few years. Next is getting a pair of Joy-Cons but we've have had no luck finding neon ones in the few stores my parents visited around Princeton and New York. Maybe we'll have better luck once they're back in Miami.

What are my best chances of finding neon Joy-Cons? What stores would give me better chances? Wal-Mart, Best Buy, GameStop, something else? Or are they all the same? As usual with parents, they're completely clueless about any of this, specially since they can't get around freely and time is very limited, so any kind of guidance would help a lot.

They didn't stop by the Nintendo store?

When my friend went there in March they had walls filled with joy cons

baconcow

While still out-of-stock whenever I am randomly looking in-store, here in Canada. However, they are getting easier to located if you call the stores and look out for new online stock (mainly WalMart, Best Buy, and Amazon Prime).

baberunisei

Saw some of them in a GameStop at the Millenia Mall in Orlando today. I'm not from the city (in fact, nor from the US, I live in Brazil), so I don't know if it's a rare opportunity or not.

Saw some of them in a GameStop at the Millenia Mall in Orlando today. I'm not from the city (in fact, nor from the US, I live in Brazil), so I don't know if it's a rare opportunity or not.

I haven't seen any near here since launch, but i haven't been looking.

My sister is looking for one though so maybe i should tell her to check it out.

Clipse

Any idea when Best Buy's should be getting big re-stocks, if any? Refuse to purchase a Switch anywhere else since I want the My Best Buy points and I'm not in a huge rush to get one.

I managed to get a preowned Switch from Grainger Games for £250, however I am really put off by it only having a 6 month warranty. Plus, it seems to have an issue where the screen in the corner is popping out a little. :/

I am kinda tempted to sell it, and rebuy it from John Lewis once there is stock, since you get a 2 year guarantee with it.

Shiggy

I managed to get a preowned Switch from Grainger Games for £250, however I am really put off by it only having a 6 month warranty. Plus, it seems to have an issue where the screen in the corner is popping out a little. :/

I am kinda tempted to sell it, and rebuy it from John Lewis once there is stock, since you get a 2 year guarantee with it.

How long is the legal guarantee for new and second-hand goods?

The duration is 6 years in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and 5 years in Scotland. This applies to new and second-hand goods.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...uarantees-returns/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

And under EU law you have a guarantee for 2 years anyway. Aren't those retailer-specific warranties just for when you damage it yourself (as in you drop the item)? Otherwise what's the point in those?

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...uarantees-returns/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

And under EU law you have a guarantee for 2 years anyway. Aren't those retailer-specific warranties just for when you damage it yourself (as in you drop the item)? Otherwise what's the point in those?

They charge more for that. Regarding the screen issue, is it fairly common or should I maybe try to get a replacement?

Also a bit off topic, but I kinda feel we should have a pure Nintendo Switch thread for general discussion and questions. I keep having questions, but there doesn't seem to be a thread like there is for the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S.

Xeroblade

I saw these at Nebraska Furniture Mart over the weekend. First time seeing one in an actual store. About a hour later all the Neon Switches were gone. Picked one up for myself as well!

20170506_133027.jpg

I saw these at Nebraska Furniture Mart over the weekend. First time seeing one in an actual store. About a hour later all the Neon Switches were gone. Picked one up for myself as well!

Wow, I just did a google search on that store since I've never heard of it and there are only 3 locations. Do they usually get video game consoles? That's a hell of a lot of stock for what seems like a fairly small video game retailer...

PSFan

Wow, I just did a google search on that store since I've never heard of it and there are only 3 locations. Do they usually get video game consoles? That's a hell of a lot of stock for what seems like a fairly small video game retailer...

They also get amiibos too. People were getting hard to find ones from there easily.

How is this possible. I have been waiting for 7 weeks now for a freaking gray Switch from Gamestop and they have only received two neons in that time period.

Theonik

How is this possible. I have been waiting for 7 weeks now for a freaking gray Switch from Gamestop and they have only received two neons in that time period.
Believe it or not stock isn't distributed evenly. There is many places and countries that are completely stuffed with Switch stock.
Makes good $$$ if you are willing to be a scalper.

Believe it or not stock isn't distributed evenly. There is many places and countries that are completely stuffed with Switch stock.
Makes good $$$ if you are willing to be a scalper.

Who does that stocking and why? And in Germany it seems to be evenly sold out everywhere.

Irminsul

That's just a matter of statistics, actually. You're looking at stock anywhere vs. stock at your single Gamestop. Of course the former is much more probable than the latter.

That's just a matter of statistics, actually. You're looking at stock anywhere vs. stock at your single Gamestop. Of course the former is much more probable than the latter.

Well, I was looking out for stock anywhere in Germany really and other Gamestops, too. Mostly online, though.

Theonik

Well, I was looking out for stock anywhere in Germany really and other Gamestops, too. Mostly online, though.
Not every unit that is available on retail will be listed online. (duh)
In general retailers with a high street presence will need orders of magnitude more stock in retail outlets than they have online.
Think of it this way, if you have 1000 stores shipping 2 units to every store needs 2000 units. Whereas an online retailers can sell single units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom