• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

witness

Now on the hunt to get one finally here in Orlando. Super excited since I skipped on Wii U. Istock looks really fucking bleak though for the area...

Luke_Wal

I wish Nintendo would make even a slight effort to put out more Red/Blue joy-cons. It's been months since they've been available in any meaningful capacity in the US.

When we got restocked a week or two ago at my store (a Best Buy), we got about 25 units, and 15-20 of them were Neon, an overwhelming majority. I'd never seen that before. Seems like they see the demand for that version of the system.

Just got a call from my GameStop that they're doing in store orders for online bundles. Thought for sure when they said it was GameStop they were gonna say they got some in stock. 😭

I just have a mental hurdle to get past spending for the bundle especially when I don't want two racing wheels.

Nameless

Personally I don't specifically care about the color of it, if the Green and Pink Splatoon bundle came to the US though it would be the one I'd buy because Pink is my daughters favorite color.

Same. Bundles for both were available and I chose the grey. The Neons make the system look like a toy. Not a fan.

First time I see the lack of stock first hand , even tho the retail price is $510 where I live , in a store that had dozens of units a couple of weeks ago today I only saw 3 consoles and 4 zelda limited editions.

I guess the hype is real if people are paying those crazy prices.

Rival

Gold Member
I still haven't seen a switch available in any store but they seem to be regularly available online from GameStop if you're willing to get a bundle.

No, you had it right the first time.

You can play with a lot with a lot of things that aren't toys.

Honestly it's just personal preference. Never been a fan of bright colored controllers.

imadult.png

I'm not just that big of a fan of the shade of the blue/red neon (yellow looks cool though), but to be honest if they had at least offered it in all red or all blue I would have considered it. The mixed colors just looks dumb af to me.

I'm not just that big of a fan of the shade of the blue/red neon (yellow looks cool though), but to be honest if they had at least offered it in all red or all blue I would have considered it. The mixed colors just looks dumb af to me.

I'm sure there's a race joke to be made, but I'm getting a little too goofy on here tonight.

Ashhong

Just got a call from my GameStop that they're doing in store orders for online bundles. Thought for sure when they said it was GameStop they were gonna say they got some in stock. 😭

I just have a mental hurdle to get past spending for the bundle especially when I don't want two racing wheels.

Don't do it! It seems like BestBuy likes to hoard their stock until a Sunday and put it out at once, and there are employees in here that inform us when that happens. Just line up and you'll get one. I got one within a week of looking. Be strong

This guy gets it. For me it's:

1. All Yellow
2. All Red
3. All Green
4. All Blue

Everything else.

Kaizer

Banned
Got a confirmation e-mail from GameStop for the Zelda Bundle I ordered in-store on Tuesday. The order form said it wasn't gonna arrive for another 2 weeks to my home, but apparently it'll be here by Friday!

ReaperXL7

Are any of these third party websites that track stock in any way actually accurate? I'm basically calling all my local gamestops on Monday/Wednesday/Friday but I'd keep an eye on one of those sites if I thought they could actually track what's local stores have in stock.

Are any of these third party websites that track stock in any way actually accurate? I'm basically calling all my local gamestops on Monday/Wednesday/Friday but I'd keep an eye on one of those sites if I thought they could actually track what's local stores have in stock.

iStockNow is 100% legit for Gamestop, Target and Walmart.

BTW, anyone know why Costco doesn't stock Switches? They used to stock Wiis.

Still haven't seen any neon red pairs or neon blue pairs in stock online or at retail since the third week of April. I swear if Nintendo stopped packaging these SKUs.. :(

The yellow ones seem possible to get. Don't really want yellow..

Do you guys think they'll be a holiday bundle?

No offense intended, but you know that "they'll" means "they will", right? I think you wanted "there'll", which means "there will". I see this mistake quite often and have always wondered if those making it know the difference between the two contractions.

Anyway, to answer your intended question, no I doubt Nintendo will do that. Typically, bundles are part of a plan to boost sales. Mario is a system seller without having to include it with the console.

Anteo

First time I see the lack of stock first hand , even tho the retail price is $510 where I live , in a store that had dozens of units a couple of weeks ago today I only saw 3 consoles and 4 zelda limited editions.

I guess the hype is real if people are paying those crazy prices.

Bought mine 2 weeks ago. There were almost none left.

I think thats all just launch stock that is just selling out now.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Switch is in stock right now, $474 bundle at GS. Comes with Zelda and MK8 and more.

Forcing a bundle at all is completely f'd up, regardless of what great games are in it. Anyone should be able to walk into a store and buy just the system and 1 game, or 5 games if they choose.

With that said, i walked into Target 3 days ago and they had just got in 4 grey switches, and 4 of the colored ones. Snagged a colored one and Zelda. Love the Switch so far, and Zelda is amazing!!!!
Can't wait for Mario in October!!!

Vlad

Ppl are buying switch without buying any game?

My dad got one a couple weeks ago, since he wanted to be sure to have one when Mario came out. He already played through Zelda and Mario Kart on the Wii U, so yeah, he got just the system and has apparently been playing a bunch of Snake Pass on it.

Wow I can't believe is so bad, here in Mexico you can easily buy one, because no one wants to buy the damn thing (it costs like 560 dollars here)

marmoka

Banned
To those who posted that there was stock in Amazon.de, and they were shipping to other countries:

I'm getting my Neon Switch next week!!

Thanks!! Many many thanks!!

Tom Nook

I notice on istocknow shows some Walmart Neighborhood Markets have Switch in stock. These stores only carry groceries. Do they count switches for online pickup?

iStockNow is 100% legit for Gamestop, Target and Walmart.

BTW, anyone know why Costco doesn't stock Switches? They used to stock Wiis.

I was in target yesterday. istocknow AND target's website said this location had a Switch in stock. I go to the display case... empty. So then I find an associate and ask them and they tell me it was a "miscount." I was so upset ☹

OryoN

Still haven't seen any neon red pairs or neon blue pairs in stock online or at retail since the third week of April. I swear if Nintendo stopped packaging these SKUs.. :(

The yellow ones seem possible to get. Don't really want yellow..

Colored Joy-Con are are as rare as theconsole now. I'm seeing some neon pairs going for damn near the price of the system itself. I want all blue or yellow (will settle for neon r&b) but I'm not willing to pay more than $5 above retail price.

It's kinda ridiculous that Nintendo can't get a lot more Joy-con stock out there, with how hard they push multi-player games. I'm not sure if they are affected by the whole NAND chip debacle too(the NFC feature requires it?). As for the Switch itself, Nintendo has been talking about increasing stock since April, but I have yet to see any signs of that. Doing 25k a week in JPN, and selling less than PS4 in the US certainly isn't indicative of any real production increase.

Nintendo really dropped the ball here. It's one thing to be initially cautious or conservative(especially after Wii U)but you also need to position yourself for a relatively quick turn around in the event that demand is surprisingly high. This is something Nintendo said they were on top of near the launch of the console, but it's clear their are not. I'm certain they would have known how many NAND chips they could secure before claiming(more than once) how they could/would increase production. With Splatoon just around the corner, it would require nothing short of a miracle to satisfy that increased demand.

Zubz

Banned
Are there any chances we'll see a new bundle soon? Or at least a new shipment? I haven't been following since I thought I could wait for an exclusive bundle like the Spla2n one, but that's looking doubtful & I really want ARMS.

That's what they did to me. I was pissed when I went in and they asked for my address.

Is there any reason to buy multiple Joycon sets instead of multiple pro controllers?

Yes.
Edit: non-asshole answer: It depends what you want from it, if you want 4 player motion controlled ARMS, or just the advantage of being able to have one player per joy con in some games like Bomber Man, you might prefer to get more joycons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom