• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trill O'Reilly

Neo Member
Purchased one two weeks ago in Fresno while visiting family and randomly seeing it in stock at a Target. Fire it up last night to play Mario Kart with the wife and sadly my Switch fried my Hdmi inputs on my tv. I don't know what caused it or how but I was playing my PS4 pro before my wife asked if we could play. Went to turn the Switch on and no sound came from the tv, took the Switch out and had sound in Handled mode and nothing in docked but I did get video. In frustration I just turned it off and figured I would take it in for an exchange in the morning cause I figured stock would be better. So this morning ecide to play Vue on my PS4 while coffee brews and again no sound. Change all hdmi ports and same result no sound on any of them. Go to Target none are in stock(in SoCal) so I just got a refund for my Switch and now waiting on Best Buy to come and repair my TV next week. Now I have a broke TV and no Switch...

Norse

Saw 2 in the cabinet at Walmart this morning here in Minnesota. First time they've had them available as I pretty much always check. I won't get one so no idea why I check lol. I just don't game nearly as much as I used too. Age catching up with me I guess.

I was in gamestop this weekend and they had the switch in stock AND I had the money... I was able to resist. I want to wait to see if they make revisions or not. Maybe a better dock or something, or a home only version.

I was in gamestop this weekend and they had the switch in stock AND I had the money... I was able to resist. I want to wait to see if they make revisions or not. Maybe a better dock or something, or a home only version.

A home only version would be the antithesis of the systems entire design.

I wouldn't have high hopes about a home only version. Now a portable only version, that I find actually possible.

One might say the same for a 2d version of 3ds, but Nintendo seems willing to produce cheaper versions of hardware if it gets more people in the door.

If a "home only version" (or traditional home console) became a reality I would gladly sale/trade my current Switch for that version as I have no interest in using it in handheld mode.

The only reason I have one is to play classic Nintendo franchises traditionally on a TV with the Pro Controller. I find playing in handheld mode to be unbelievably uncomfortable after a short session. For me, the Wii U gamepad trounces it when it comes to being/staying comfortable in extended gaming sessions.

Luke_Wal

On the Target website, it says that a local store has the Yellow Joy Cons with "limited availability." What does that mean? It says "in stock" or "out of stock" at other stores, but "limited" at one 15 minutes away. Does that mean they have like 1 or 2, so they can't do an in store pickup, or has it already been claimed and is waiting to be picked up, or what?

On the Target website, it says that a local store has the Yellow Joy Cons with "limited availability." What does that mean? It says "in stock" or "out of stock" at other stores, but "limited" at one 15 minutes away. Does that mean they have like 1 or 2, so they can't do an in store pickup, or has it already been claimed and is waiting to be picked up, or what?

It means that they have a few, but not that many. drive over and get them asap.

Reki

I finally got one last week! The stock is not the problem where I live, but the price is, so my quest was to find it as cheap as I could. Turns out I found it at the equivalent of $470 with MK8D (the cheapest you can find it here) and got it. I also bought an extra pair of Joy Cons, the AmFilm protector and an cheap microSD. I'm set for now.

And BOTW is amazing. I can't play anything else, with the exception of the Puyo Puyo demo, which turned out to be great for multiplayer co-op.

Fun fact: I anecdotally confirmed the stock situation in Australia. My unit is from there, even though I live in America.

jbueno

Anyone live in southern NM or West TX? The Wal-Marts here in my town seem to always have 8-10 in stock.

Was in South Texas last week, I bought mine from GameStop just by casually walking into the store, but seemingly I was lucky as stock ran out in less than an hour according to the clerk. Also found systems in a few Walmarts around 6 -10units in stock, but didn´t last long.

A home only version would be the antithesis of the systems entire design.

Nah, the system would still have its nice transforming controller (Joy-Con) and games that can switch from console to handheld mode.

People are placing too much emphasis on the hybrid nature of the system as the sole manifestation of the Switch concept, ignoring how many ideas are at play that enable the system to be a hybrid in the first place but that could be extended through cheaper, more focused secondary devices.

opoth

Banned
Finally picked one up Saturday morning at Target in western NY as an impulse buy (had really planned on waiting for MO and XC2), this is the 4th time I've seen one at random over the past couple months so while it's not easy yet per se, I don't think it's too difficult if you go in on a Friday or Saturday.

https://www.g2kgames.net/collections/switch/products/switch-console-with-blue-red-joy-con

https://www.g2kgames.net/collections/switch/products/switch-console-with-gray-joy-con

This is a pretty great little indie chain that's open in Southwest Virginia/Northeast TN -- they've got quite a few basic and Neon consoles in stock right now. Shipping's not free but the prices look pretty good.

I make a point to stop at their store in Johnson City, TN every time I visit family in the area. Good place, they're legit.

Phased

g2k still has stock!

Just ordered mine from there! Hopefully shipping doesn't take too long.

My Credit Card company actually declined the purchase since it's out of state for me and they suspected fraud, so it was yelling at me until I approved it, but all good now.

Thanks for posting this!

Zen Aku

GameStop has the next shipment bundles available. Got my Splatoon Fan bundle pre-ordered. Probably the best bundle with the least amount of useless stuff.

Neonep

Finally picked one up Saturday morning at Target in western NY as an impulse buy (had really planned on waiting for MO and XC2), this is the 4th time I've seen one at random over the past couple months so while it's not easy yet per se, I don't think it's too difficult if you go in on a Friday or Saturday.

Every single time I've seen one is either on a Friday or Saturday.

Was in stock at walmart earlier today and they sell for pretty much retail on CL too, even cheaper for slightly used bundles. I have a hard time imagining anyone somewhat resourceful (checking nowinstock, subscribing to this thread, etc) that really wants one and willing to pay full retail plus tax, still doesn't have it.

Seems like it's widely available now in Germany. All the big online stores have them in stock, and I saw a stack of them in an electronic store just last friday.

Ironballs

So would a smaller joyconless version that many here want badly. Whuch is why I don't believe we will see anything other than a more powerful revision later on.

My thoughts as well. I hope the (inevitable) Switch Pro has a bare bones SKU that only includes the tablet. Joy Cons are here to stay as they're equal parts customization accessory and controller, plus I imagine they're bringing in a hefty margin and if online retailers are any indicator sell thru is not an issue in the US (so far).

Managed to pick a Switch over the weekend, though I had to drive to Best Buy in Santa Clara to get my neon bundle.

Originally they were under the impression that the systems they had were to be held for Sunday but I was then told (after having bought something else) that they could sell it.

I'm a happy camper.

boiled goose

good with gravy
My thoughts as well. I hope the (inevitable) Switch Pro has a bare bones SKU that only includes the tablet. Joy Cons are here to stay as they're equal parts customization accessory and controller, plus I imagine they're bringing in a hefty margin and if online retailers are any indicator sell thru is not an issue in the US (so far).

If anything switch pro might just be a dock with supplemental computation capabilities.

Less restrictions for power when docked. Handheld mode has a clear battery power trade-off

I really want one for Mario + Rabbids but am still waiting a bit longer for news of new color JC bundled with the system or just a new bundle with Mario Rabbids.

Type_Raver

I have just joined the party!

In Australia, it seems to be fairly available with little difficulty. I walked into my local EBgames, asked for a Grey Switch, which came 2 free amiibos (limited selection). I chose the blue yarn Yoshi and Fox McCloud. And finally, I got a copy of Splatoon 2.

Cant wait to fire it up! Also cant wait for more app support (web browser, netflix, youtube, etc..) plus VC!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

My hometown! lol I was born and raised in Niagara Falls, and lived in Amherst near Buffalo for most of my adult life until i relocated to Austin, Texas area in 2015. Heading back home next month for a week. God i miss WNY food!!!

On topic...lol, congrats on finding one. I ended up finding mine at a Target too a few weeks back. I think theyre getting shipments regularly now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Feels like if you want one now is the time. August should in theory be your best bet to snag one before the year ends.

bumpkin

At this point, the Switch seems easily available and in stock pretty much everywhere in Austria.
In all fairness, I feel like lots of European countries have had plenty of stock since launch. It's the states and Japan that are getting hosed. I have yet to see a console on shelves in any stores around me (New Hampshire).

In all fairness, I feel like lots of European countries have had plenty of stock since launch. It's the states and Japan that are getting hosed. I have yet to see a console on shelves in any stores around me (New Hampshire).

It's because they're more likely in the back, and you have to ask a rep to grab one for you. It's what I did here (in D.C.).

Docpan

I caved and for one of the few times ever in my life stood in line before the Nintendo Store opened and managed to get a Neon edition.

A couple of immediate impressions:

1) The system froze up twice while trying to link up my Nintendo ID on first bootup. Google yielded many of the same occurance with others and the solution was to muscle through to a firmware update to resolve the issue. It worked.

2) Left Joycon wobbled ever so slightly when attached to console. Two WTFs within 30 seconds of turning it on. Yet again Google showed that this is a commonplace issue. Solution? Small piece of electrical tape underneath the switch rail. It really does work.

Ok beyond that:

Zelda on Switch isn't just the definitive version, Im going to just go ahead and say it since I played the entire game on Wii U at launch-- it's orders of magnitude greater than the U edition. Small resolution bump aside, the colors themselves look better and it performs perfectly thus far. Many instances on Wii U where physics based moments would nearly hard lock the system and bring it to its knees. I cant stress this enough: If youve played it before and are on the fence about double dipping don't give it another thought. Text doesn't look fuzzy anymore, blacks actually look black without heavily modifying the tv, etc. I wish I could go back in time and just waited on playing back in March.

Also got Splatoon 2 and having never played part 1 my initial impression can be summed up as : I don't get it.

El Topo

I didn't see a Switch in German stores until a few weeks ago. I'll say, I never thought this system would blow up like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom