• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrun44

Definitely not the norm but the Amazon bookstore near the University of Washington has systems and accessories in stock at this moment. Same store I was able to grab a NES classic on a random day well after release.

Most targets and some best buys say they still have some stock on their website, but I called one of each and was told they didn't...

I can only speak for my own store (BBY), but our inventory says we have a few in stock and those units are just pre-orders that haven't been picked up. Usually that stuff doesn't show up in our system but for whatever reason those ones do. Weird computer issue, I dunno.

Vena

Most targets and some best buys say they still have some stock on their website, but I called one of each and was told they didn't...

I was at Target last night to buy some kitchen stuff and I swung by the game's section, the Switch area was stripped clean to the point of actually being rather hard to find if not for the Switch Just Dance logo and three left over JoyCon pairs.

Guy working their said it had vanished before his shift had even started.

NimbusD

Anyone hear of any stores in the NYC area that have one if either color? I gave my friend my Amazon second preorder but amazon fucked us over and it still hasn't shipped.

Falchion

Wonder how long it'll be before you can walk in whatever store and pick one up? I'm guessing by May you'll be able to get one easily.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Walked around Vienna today, no chance to get one. Funnily enough it was also completely impossible to get copies of Zelda. 12whatever and Just Dance? Everywhere.

Just a heads up, I went to a Walmart earlier where BrickSeek said there were 24 (!) in stock, and they said they didn't have any. You should call ahead and not trust their stock numbers right now.

Veitsev

In DFW it seems that a few Targets have the system, but their inventory tracking is suspect at best. Walmarts and BB are all sold out. Gray consoles are much more plentiful with Neons being very difficult to find. Everywhere I have been the accessories sections have been stripped clean. Grabbed the last AC Adapter at my location.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I know that the two Brisbane EB Games here in Australia are all sold out of their first shipments. However Target, Big W and JB all have a ridiculous amount of stock lying around. Might be due to people not associating gaming with those retailers.

I went into a Target last night to pick up the deluxe travel case. A mother was wanting to buy a Switch, but they were out. A stock person said to try back on Sunday.

ZOONAMI

I talked to a guy working at Best Buy and they have some still, but are doing morning tickets for them.

It seems Best Buy got a lot of stock.

Pissed that they wouldn't sell me one when they actually have them in stock.

antonz

400k in November isn't very good.

400-500K was normal console launch range. It wasn't until the PS4/XBO where they finally decided to make as many as they can.

That said Toys R Us and such claim they have a second wave coming in for Sunday. So people could keep an eye out then

bs135

Contrary to popular belief, scalpers are actually a good thing from an economic perspective.

They apply supply/demand economics to products with fixed prices and low supply.

They essentially insure a product is always available for purchase despite lack of supply from the manufacturer or lack of planning by the purchaser.

P.S. I don't like scalpers either, but I view them as a necessary evil.

What are you talking about? All scalpers do is increase the purchase price for people who without said scalpers could have purchased the product for msrp. They add absolutely no value whatsoever.

17078458_1414173418625036_965855652_n.jpg

Unicorn

I gotta just hunt one down through gamestop as I have in-store credit. I can't find store availability online, so I assume I have to just call? Most retailers have a tracker for stores, but I guess they don't want that convenience for Switch? Target showed all in-stock last night, but alas, I only have money within GS.

In NYC it's been rough. I checked Walmart's stock via the brickseek or whatever it is and some said 100+ but when I called they had none. Tried every Walmart in Long Island (I'm in Rego Park Queens) and nothing. Tried every Best Buy / Targer around me and nothing.

Don't trust Target's "In Stock" on their site, every one I called / walked into that said that did not have any.

spock

I was at Target last night to buy some kitchen stuff and I swung by the game's section, the Switch area was stripped clean to the point of actually being rather hard to find if not for the Switch Just Dance logo and three left over JoyCon pairs.
Guy working their said it had vanished before his shift had even started.

Noticed the same thing at a NH walmart. Only games they had left where 3 copies of zelda and 1 copy of just dance. Friend I know who worked there told me they sold out of systems and most other switch stuff around 10am. Also stock seems to be scare across NH on the whole.

bearbytes

I got mine from wal mart at midnight on launch. They got in 20 units for non-pre-orders, had to turn away some people that showed up too late.

Went to target for other stuff today and stopped by the game section to check it out. Seems like they had plenty of games, but no consoles and the accessories were pretty wiped out.

This is in Maine.

Yoda

Nintendo shop @ Rockefeller Center had a lot, the line is pretty long though, took me 2 hours.

NolbertoS

Been to 2 BB and Target closeby, and Switch have been sold out. Even the midnight launch one employee told me felt like Black Friday. I think we can say Switch midnight launch was a great success.

LOCK

I've called and been to a few stores, all sold out. But Target will have some for tomorrow.

In my area this reminds me a mix of the Wii and PS4 launch.

It's really bad for stores like Gamestop. They got a laughable amount of stock. I guess what do you expect from a store that thrives on preordering?

ccbfan

Definite more wiiu than wii around here.

EBay prices are probably the best indicator of demand vs supply and at this point expect a lot of store returns in the next few days since we're talking about less than 5 percent return on a lot of these sales. Not worth the risk of a scam chargeback.

So expect a surge of stock the comings days.

1upsuper

A local Target said they're getting some stock tomorrow morning, and that I should get there at/before opening at 7am. How early do you guys think I need to get there? Do you think an hour early is OK, or do I need to get there way earlier?

I'm hoping it's just overblown and there are just a very vocal group of outliers having issues. It doesn't seem that way since even if these are mostly isolated, there are a LOT of isolated issues.

Hoping to head out tomorrow morning to pick one up. Sounds like word on the street is lots of retailers are going to restock tomorrow.

Anyone know how long until retailers release pre-orders that haven't been picked up?

Anyone know how long until retailers release pre-orders that haven't been picked up?

One of the gamestops near me said (all?) their stores are selling unclaimed ones tonight at 9. I'm assuming they're getting more shipped in for tomorrow if they're doing that.

Spacebar

Someone on my local FB classifieds put a switch up for 600$. He got ripped apart by everyone in the group and people started posting pics of local stock at Target/Wal-Mart/etc.

Maximus.

I honestly think there won't have a stock problem for now, especially since even Nintendo loyals (aka WiiU owners) are not fully on board.

I don't think taking the negative reactions from gaf should be your measurement of unhappy Wii U owners.

Divus

Checked all the local stores Friday afternoon and Saturday with no luck. Don't live in a very large city (1/4m pop) or anything, but it seems to have completely sold out. The Targets and Walmart's websites all say they have stock, but non of them actually do. Walmart said they would definitely not have any units available in the next week and didn't know of any more being on order even though they sold 49 of them. Target said they will early next so keep checking back. A Best Buy employee said there was no such thing as a Sunday hold on the Switch. Local Gamestops said they had no idea when they were getting more. I even checked all the surrounding cities stores by phone and got nothing.

Didn't actually plan on getting one at launch, but the last/only time I preordered a system was the N64 and have yet to have a problem getting one launch day although I did get lucky on the Wii and Xbox.

Jarsonot

Just a heads up, in my area Target and Toys R Us are holding supply for tomorrow (Sunday).

Target has 16 and Toys R Us has "around 30", which are pretty decent numbers all things considered.

So if you're still looking, maybe your area has the same situation! Hope lives!

Just a heads up, in my area Target and Toys R Us are holding supply for tomorrow (Sunday).

has 16 and has "around 30", which are pretty decent numbers all things considered.

So if you're still looking, maybe your area has the same situation! Hope lives!

Cmon, let's at least put this stuff in /email tags. The less people know, the better for the rest of us.

butman

In Chile... There's only gray Switches. The Neon version sold out here but they couldn't sell the entire stock.

But the WiiU version of Zelda Breath of the Wild is crazy hard to get in here, only pre-orders.

There's a lot of stock in Chile. Just see specialized store facebook fanpages and retail stores. They scream for people to buy them.
"Pre-order now there's limited units" has always been a well-known marketing strategy.

There's a lot of people that know that buying a console at launch is the worst decision ever. In my case i'm looking for a Wii U to play Zelda. Last year of a console is the best moment buy one.

There's a lot of stock in Chile. Just see specialized store facebook fanpages and retail stores. They scream for people to buy them.
"Pre-order now there's limited units" has always been a well-known marketing strategy.

There's a lot of people that know that buying a console at launch is the worst decision ever. In my case i'm looking for a Wii U to play Zelda. Last year of a console is the best moment buy one.

Well, people are probably waiting for the prices to go down, as the Switch is over US $500 over there.

butman

Well, people are probably waiting for the prices to go down, as the Switch is over US $500 over there.

Yeah. $540 with Zelda. The problem is that Wii U still at $430 here.
Nintendo prices here in Latin America never goes down. Different story are Sony and Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom