• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how does Splatoon keep its 60fps?

Well no, not quite, the downgrades would make it a substantially different game. While the paint effect is similar sunshine kept it under control because the painted surfaces were designer-driven (in fact they're hardcoded in the level files) and almost only floors, and you werent in control of the painting, only the cleaning (which means you can't get paint outside of those places chosen by designers). Splatoon lets you paint just about everything.
These levels are also smaller than Sunshine's, with less stuff going on. I think it could've run it. Certainly on the Wii.
Do you have an archive of Nintendo disclosing this information?
It comes from multiple interviews (Zelda OoT originating as Mario 64 code is from Miyamoto that I can't find). Argonaut's developers claim in multiple interviews that they developed alot of the original 3D for Nintendo in Starfox 2. If you play Starfox 2, and observe the way it rotates, you'll see that its extremely similar to how it rotates in Mario 64.

JoeInky

They're just better at finding a balance of what they want to do with the resources available to them and then come up with a clean simple art style that makes it look great.

I think it's generally the older devs you'll see doing this whereas a lot of newer devs will just start adding as much as they can before trying to optimise things later because they don't really have that experience of making the most of limited hardware, they're used to having more power than they actually need to realise their ideas, which generally ends up with them having to consolidate a few things like making it 30fps, get rid of the AI or level complexity they might have started out with as opposed to downgrading the graphics because by this point they've probably already released engine bullshots and they don't want to show something that superficially looks like an inferior product.

Hindl

While the rest of your post seems reasonable... this is a bit of a stretch.

No part of that post is reasonable. At least for Mario Kart, the devs specifically say that they redo everything from scratch, including models, even if the models are pretty much the same. Nintendo is just really good at optimization

wildfire

Banned
Indeed, mostly because it's not an fps.

After rewatching the Digital event a third time I noticed Splatoon has sniper rifles.

It is an FPS.

It comes from multiple interviews (Zelda OoT originating as Mario 64 code is from Miyamoto that I can't find). Argonaut's developers claim in multiple interviews that they developed alot of the original 3D for Nintendo in Starfox 2. If you play Starfox 2, and observe the way it rotates, you'll see that its extremely similar to how it rotates in Mario 64.

Nifty. Thanks.

collige

Banned
You clearly need to check the gameplay videos of those games then because neither of them resorts to using just elipses as the character shadows(even if it does seems like that with toad and peach).

I've played 3D World to completion and the shadows are most certainly not accurate representations of the characters. It might not be just ellipse, but look at these examples:
2568813-ctybruh+-+imgur.jpg

LGtkvAq.jpg

In the 2nd pic, the complexity of the fingers isn't being reflecting in the shadow, and the tails have no shadow whatsoever. You can also see that Toad's arms are clearly extending out from under his head, but the shadow is still just a circle.

For Splatoon, I might have been mistaken and upon closer inspection they might not be using the same trick (it's definitely not being used for the large weapons), but it's definitely a thing in 3D world. Sorry for the slight derail.

mclem

By that logic all third person games aren't technically impressive because the core of their camera system was basically running on the Nintendo 64.

c'mon

Actually, I was trying to say that yes, it's impressive now, but it was even more impressive tech back then :)

And it'd also meant that they would have refined algorithms that they could perhaps apply to the situation, which would be a useful headstart; they're not going in blind to this; I suspect the power of the Wii U comes in with the increased *scale* of it all, rather than the code that drives the core premise.

Durante

Very well chosen technical / artistic / game design tradeoffs, very well implemented.

It's really quite impressive.

After rewatching the Digital event a third time I noticed Splatoon has sniper rifles.

It is an FPS.
Do you know what the "FP" in "FPS" means?

wildfire

Banned
Misspoke. Yeah it is a TPS instead of and FPS. I was thinking in terms of whether or not you can say Splatoon is a shooter in general because the guns are atypical.

beril

I've noticed that they appear to be using the same lighting trick as 3D World where instead of having shadows that accurately represent the character model, they're just rendered as a bunch of ellipses. I'm sure that improves performance and I'm pretty sure Nintendo is the only developer that does that.

Nope the shadows doesn't look at all like 3D world.

In Mario games the shadow is a crucial visual aid for the 3D platforming so all the interactive objects have simple shadows from directly above even though the level itself has proper shadows at a completely different angle.

It doesn't work like that here at all. The shadows are at an angle, much more detailed and with self shadowing, so basically like every other game

Nintendo is the only company pumping out 60fps as their standard for their games. While resolution has jumped between 720p and 1080p I like that they keep FPS as the priority over resolution.

EAD Wizards from the Moon

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Would like to remind people that my thread was more about the ink that seemed to be dynamic, not about the geomatry or whatever.

Noirulus

The proposition taken as a whole is impressive. It's on Wii U, 60 fps, alot of things happening, clean and appealing visuals.

Once you see X, you realize that the Wii U is more powerful than most people give it credit for, and that Splatoon maintaining 60 fps isn't impressive.

It's hardly pushing polys, effects, or lighting.

cybroxide

Would like to remind people that my thread was more about the ink that seemed to be dynamic, not about the geomatry or whatever.

Right! It's really about proper planning at this point.
All too often games start with a base design and try to add elements to gameplay to make it unique or interesting.

If you start your base design to incorporate you unique and interesting gameplay from the get go you have a lot easier time to plan and optimize the crucial elements along the way. Nearly anything is possible with the right amount of planning before hand.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Right! It's really about proper planning at this point.
All too often games start with a base design and try to add elements to gameplay to make it unique or interesting.

If you start your base design to incorporate you unique and interesting gameplay from the get go you have a lot easier time to plan and optimize the crucial elements along the way. Nearly anything is possible with the right amount of planning before hand.

I agree

The ink blots are solid colour textures with shaders that make them look 3 dimensional. Nintendo have dealt with these kinds of textures in Mario Sunshine. They look great but I can't imagine them being too graphically intensive.

SmokeMaxX

When comparing to modern shooters, you have to keep in mind that most shooters use hitscan so they don't have to render actual bullets. Everything you shoot out in this game is rendered and has complex physics applied.

Sami+

It's posts like these that really turn me off of Nintendo threads in general here on GAF. It's like you don't want to see actual discussion on a message board and just want "BASED NINTENDO MAGIC" posted over and over again. Anyone who dares to actually analyze things in a thread that's asking for analysis must be on something or trying to make a justification to downplay almighty Nintendo.

I realize that every fan base here has this problem to some degree (PC master race, Naughty Gods, etc.), but it seems to be worst among Nintendo discussion by a long shot.

This. So much.

It's kind of sad that almost any technical discussion someone tried to bring up has to devolve into fanboy nonsense and mockery.

The game would look better if the devs targeted 30fps and higher fidelity. They didn't, which in this case was a good decision. The game is visually appealing, but not a technical achievement.

I don['t think it is as dynamic as it looks, just low res dynamic textures.

*flood of pictures incoming*

So, lets say when you roll your paint roller across the level, it changes the value of these texels like this, you can think of them as being pretty large, a similar size to the cubes in minecraft. Each shade represents the coverage value of the paint. Because of their size, you never have to alter too many of them at once even with 8 players..
GhZlWF6.jpg

Then when it's drawn on screen it's interpolated per pixel
kAug5Ut.jpg

Then there's a noise texture that's permanently mapped to all the painted surfaces on the level and never changes,you never see it but it looks something like this:
qF0XER7.jpg

When you subtract the noise texture from the paint coverage, you get this:
EACkYOu.jpg

And then apply a threshold so anything below 50% is invisible and the rest is full you get this:
pITaK3C.jpg

Then you can repeat that for multiple paint colours using multiple channels, whichever ink has the highest value before the threshold determines which colour should be shown.

I added a simple highlight to my shader:
http://glsl.heroku.com/e#17652.1

Lernaean

Banned
I don't think anyone believes that the paint coverage is real time fluids though. When we talk about fluids we talk about the actual ink shooting not the coverage effect. Just to make it clear.

techniquely less demanding graphics with good stylized art to make up for it. Games have been doing this for ages to achieve 60 fps, especially arcade-style games.

old

They're using a cartoon graphic style that is less demanding than the ultra realism look modern war shooters use. I actually wish more shooters would go this path to keep higher framerates. I play online shooters for the gameplay not the graphics anyways.

rjc571

Banned
Probably because it doesn't use stupid effects like SSAO which kill the framerate while providing little to no visual benefit.

M3d10n

I don['t think it is as dynamic as it looks, just low res dynamic textures.

*flood of pictures incoming*

So, lets say when you roll your paint roller across the level, it changes the value of these texels like this, you can think of them as being pretty large, a similar size to the cubes in minecraft. Each shade represents the coverage value of the paint.
GhZlWF6.jpg

Then when it's drawn on screen it's interpolated per pixel
kAug5Ut.jpg

Then there's a noise texture that's permanently mapped to all the painted surfaces on the level and never changes,you never see it but it looks something like this:
qF0XER7.jpg

When you subtract the noise texture from the paint coverage, you get this:
EACkYOu.jpg

And then apply a threshold so anything below 50% is invisible and the rest is full you get this:
pITaK3C.jpg

Then you can repeat that for multiple paint colours using multiple channels, whichever ink has the highest value before the threshold determines which colour should be shown.

I added a simple highlight to my shader:
http://glsl.heroku.com/e#17652.1

Correct. The levels already need an unique texture wrapped over all static geometry for lightmaps, they can just reuse the UV coordinates and add a dynamic layer on top of it.

It's posts like these that really turn me off of Nintendo threads in general here on GAF. It's like you don't want to see actual discussion on a message board and just want "BASED NINTENDO MAGIC" posted over and over again. Anyone who dares to actually analyze things in a thread that's asking for analysis must be on something or trying to make a justification to downplay almighty Nintendo.

I realize that every fan base here has this problem to some degree (PC master race, Naughty Gods, etc.), but it seems to be worst among Nintendo discussion by a long shot.

I agree with this post right here.

The Wii U is a powerful system and the game isn't that graphically advanced.

It's cool that Nintendo has it locked at 60fps, but it's not surprising either.

massoluk

Banned
Ok, I think Nintendo programmers are severely underestimated (look at SMGs, those games are on the bloody Wii), as well as the Wii U's graphic capabilities, but I seriously would never choose Splatoon as a showcase of the Big N technical prowess.

After all the continued discussions about framerates, resolution drops, downgrade betrayals and all that, it does seem quite funny when any game with 60fps is now treated as some sort of inexplicable magic talisman. "This game hath 60fps? Surely 'tis some kind of witchcraft! The Wii U be a humble console, and the soothsayers hath foretold that 60fps be the domain of those consoles with the power of next-gen!"

Listen to me, my children. Verily, it is possible for a shooter to be released unto consoles, yea, even unto the modest Wii U, and achieve that holy perfection we know to be the Lord's chosen 60fps. For if we turn back the pages of time, did our forebears not play Metroid Prime and Timesplitters Future Perfect and bask in that fluid perfection? Yea, did our fathers not play Serious Sam, a game with hordes of on-screen enemies and vast open levels, at 60fps on machines with a mere 64mb of memory? Why then should we be surprised when a multiplayer paint shooter arises, and shows itself to also be of the Lord's chosen framerate? Lo! Nintendo has chosen to build a game around the limits and strength of their hardware, and verily they have made a game that runneth at the one true framerate. We should not be surprised, but rejoice that they have committed themselves once again to the virtues of good game design and art direction over framerate-murdering visual trifles and pretties. No matter how pretty the paint may look, we true believers know that Nintendo have prioritised gameplay and fluidity over graphical baubles, and for their sacrifice, they have achieved the sacred beauty of 60fps that so few other developers know.

Rejoice, my children, for the glory days of the one true framerate are returning to us once more. Ask yourselves not how it has happened, merely celebrate it's glorious return.

I may be slightly tired and/or drunk...

After all the continued discussions about framerates, resolution drops, downgrade betrayals and all that, it does seem quite funny when any game with 60fps is now treated as some sort of inexplicable magic talisman. "This game hath 60fps? Surely 'tis some kind of witchcraft! The Wii U be a humble console, and the soothsayers hath foretold that 60fps be the domain of those consoles with the power of next-gen!"

Listen to me, my children. Verily, it is possible for a shooter to be released unto consoles, yea, even unto the modest Wii U, and achieve that holy perfection we know to be the Lord's chosen 60fps. For if we turn back the pages of time, did our forebears not play Metroid Prime and Timesplitters Future Perfect and bask in that fluid perfection? Yea, did our fathers not play Serious Sam, a game with hordes of on-screen enemies and vast open levels, at 60fps on machines with a mere 64mb of memory? Why then should we be surprised when a multiplayer paint shooter arises, and shows itself to also be of the Lord's chosen framerate? Lo! Nintendo has chosen to build a game around the limits and strength of their hardware, and verily they have made a game that runneth at the one true framerate. We should not be surprised, but rejoice that they have committed themselves once again to the virtues of good game design and art direction over framerate-murdering visual trifles and pretties. No matter how pretty the paint may look, we true believers know that Nintendo have prioritised gameplay and fluidity over graphical baubles, and for their sacrifice, they have achieved the sacred beauty of 60fps that so few other developers know.

Rejoice, my children, for the glory days of the one true framerate are returning to us once more. Ask yourselves not how it has happened, merely celebrate it's glorious return.

I was typing up a post, but it was basically this.

It's sad how the console industry has been conditioned to the point where a game emphasizing playability over graphical achievements is treated as a rogue agent.

Lernaean

Banned

Heres to you my brother!

Xun

I've played 3D World to completion and the shadows are most certainly not accurate representations of the characters. It might not be just ellipse, but look at these examples:
2568813-ctybruh+-+imgur.jpg

LGtkvAq.jpg

In the 2nd pic, the complexity of the fingers isn't being reflecting in the shadow, and the tails have no shadow whatsoever. You can also see that Toad's arms are clearly extending out from under his head, but the shadow is still just a circle.

For Splatoon, I might have been mistaken and upon closer inspection they might not be using the same trick (it's definitely not being used for the large weapons), but it's definitely a thing in 3D world. Sorry for the slight derail.
I'm pretty sure this is intentional so that it makes platforming in a 3D space easier.

Top Bottom