• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, how is Final Fantasy VII on PS4?

until you actually quit by accident because the menu decides to choose quit instead of items.

xTiN0izzlAvgK33uMg.gif

Never happened to me in my 70 hours playing the game. Maybe look at what you are selecting before pressing a button?

From this GIF I'm sure you pressed up 2 times more than you needed.

I don't think so, from what I played it seems to be an issue where hitting the x button before letting off the dpad seems to register another dpad press. It's a bug, and a detriment because it wasn't in the original version.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think so, from what I played it seems to be an issue where hitting the x button before letting off the dpad seems to register another dpad press. It's a bug, and a detriment because it wasn't in the original version.
Why do you will press X holding UP? In Original version you will get a random command too because the cursor will be fast moving to up forever unless you have superhuman timing.

PS. I can even hear the sound of the cursor moving when holding direction in original.

Why do you will press X holding UP? In Original version you will get a random command too because the cursor will be fast moving to up forever unless you have superhuman timing.

It obviously doesn't require superhuman timing if it happened enough times to me and others to register as a problem. If you've played the original version of the game enough you learn to navigate the menus quickly enough to cause this to happen.

From this GIF I'm sure you pressed up 2 times more than you needed.

i admit it's hard to understand from the gif.

the bug happends when pressing the OK button too quickly after moving the cursor.

it's something i immedietly noticed when loading this version. As an FF7 player you get to know the menus.

the game adds the extra UP its self.

Never happened to me in my 70 hours playing the game. Maybe look at what you are selecting before pressing a button?

I seriously don't believe you. lol. This happens everytime and can be replicated.

Shin-Ra

It's possible to adapt to crappy repeat-input delay timings but that doesn't make it fun, especially in a menu-heavy game like an RPG.

Memnoch

I’m considering downloading this, but I want to get GAF’s opinion on whether it’s worth it or not. I still have the original physical copy for PS1 and a digital download for PS3.

To my understanding, this is based on the PC port of the game which I’ve never played. Right off the bat, I assume the port runs at a higher resolution, has some visual enhancements and improved overall performance in comparison to the PS1 version? I’ve also read that the game has some features like Turbo Mode and Invincibility(wut????). The invincibility feature intrigues me as I would love to play through the entire game again and experience the story once more without the stress of grinding.

Any impressions would be greatly appreciated!
Well I love it. Go for it.

bigol

Did you receive an answer about the music bugs? They actually replied me
Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. It will be forwarded to
the appropriate party. Thank you for taking the time to contact us today
and we look forward to your opinions of our upcoming titles.

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

Renae

Hey guys,
I never played this game for some reasons (just got spoiled about
Aerith's death
), is it worth playing now or is it better for me to wait for the remake ?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hey guys,
Aerith's death
I don't think the original and remake will be close to the same game. They'll tackle the same story scenario and general progression, but they'll end up being remarkably different beasts. And I don't think the remake will teach you the importance of the original game in its day.

So play the original first IMO.

Hey guys,
Aerith's death

Well, how patient are you, because it's looking like if you waited for the remake, you probably wont get to finish the story until 2029.

TLS Lex

It's probably the definitive version available (without extensive modding, but modding can make the game "feel" off), but keep the following in mind:

- There's a misconception that translation errors are "fixed". It's not quite true. Grammar errors have been corrected in some cases (This guy are sick -> This guy is sick) but some lines have been arbitrarily changed in English and they're actually further from the original translation. Here's an article that lists some major differences.

- The music (which some people have touched on) is buggy in a few places. The most egregious being that it doesn't loop at the correct point during a key scene late in the game
Cloud's reveal at the end of the Lifestream sequence - the Main Theme is supposed to reach its crescendo as Sephiroth is tossed into the mako by Cloud but in this (and the PC version) it stops long before that and this part is completely silent
which to me is a huge deal because it's one of my favourite scenes in any video game

- The menu FPS issues (all menus are 15fps instead of 60) often cause "extra" inputs as mentioned, but it also means that any form of slots (Tifa's limit, Cait's limit and the battle arena) are pretty much impossible

All of these problems exist in the PC version which the PS4 version is based on, so none of them are a huge shock. The PC version available now is literally just a repackaged (and now slightly patched) version of the original PC '98 release. It's quite funny, the PS4 version is literally a port of a port of a port lol. In some bizarre way it's come full circle (with more errors! But slightly nicer graphics).

It's probably the definitive version available (without extensive modding, but modding can make the game "feel" off), but keep the following in mind:

- There's a misconception that translation errors are "fixed". It's not quite true. Grammar errors have been corrected in some cases (This guy are sick -> This guy is sick) but some lines have been arbitrarily changed in English and they're actually further from the original translation. Here's an article that lists some major differences.

- The music (which some people have touched on) is buggy in a few places. The most egregious being that it doesn't loop at the correct point during a key scene late in the game
Cloud's reveal at the end of the Lifestream sequence - the Main Theme is supposed to reach its crescendo as Sephiroth is tossed into the mako by Cloud but in this (and the PC version) it stops long before that and this part is completely silent
which to me is a huge deal because it's one of my favourite scenes in any video game

- The menu FPS issues (all menus are 15fps instead of 60) often cause "extra" inputs as mentioned, but it also means that any form of slots (Tifa's limit, Cait's limit and the battle arena) are pretty much impossible

All of these problems exist in the PC version which the PS4 version is based on, so none of them are a huge shock. The PC version available now is literally just a repackaged (and now slightly patched) version of the original PC '98 release. It's quite funny, the PS4 version is literally a port of a port of a port lol. In some bizarre way it's come full circle (with more errors! But slightly nicer graphics).

I assure you the double input of the menus are new to the ps4 version. the menus are not 15fps. only battles (and the battle menus) are.

I got an email back it just asked me for more information like what operating system I was usingand stuff. I guess they didn't see that I was writing about the PS4 version :p but I still sent another one back.

ethomaz

Banned
Played yesterday night just to try the menu issue.

- If you hold UP and press X it will never happen... and I could always choose the right menu without need to un-hold UP. It works exactly like original.

- If you press UP a lot of time really really fast it will happen sometimes to the cursor jump one menu... but it is really hard to happen... I tried about 10 minutes and just could do it twice.

It is a non issue to be fair and most players will finish the game without facing this bug... I really wanted to try the original again to see if I can reproduce the bug now I know how it works.

To be fair I could find any difference in the use of the menus compared with what I remember from original.

- If you hold UP and press X it will never happen... and I could always choose the right menu without need to un-hold UP. It works exactly like original.

This is just wrong. You can easily test it (with any non-scrolling menu) using any buttons that don't actually interact with the menu since the bug occurs with any button. Press up or down and all the shoulder buttons at the same time and you'll see the cursor bounce around the menu 1-4 objects at a time.

It is a non issue to be fair and most players will finish the game without facing this bug.

It's a problem the original didn't have, and people obviously care about stuff like this when comparing different versions of games. Sure it's a relatively small gripe compared to the music bugs but it was still annoying to me and others.

Its great! And if your a baby coward like me you can cheat your way through the harder boss fights! Like "oh emerald weapon, you think you got me, but all i need to do is flick this stick and suddenly i have infinite health and limit"!

cj_iwakura

It has bugs that ruin the experience such as

-if you go too quick on menus it doesnt choose what you chose.
-Incorrect music plays at various parts of the game, including important scenes.

but it's fine for the most part.

Sounds like deal breakers to me, not that I'd double dip, I still have the PS1 version.

ethomaz

Banned
This is just wrong. You can easily test it (with any non-scrolling menu) using any buttons that don't actually interact with the menu since the bug occurs with any button. Press up or down and all the shoulder buttons at the same time and you'll see the cursor bounce around the menu 1-4 objects at a time.
There is nothing wrong in what I said... I did a lot of tests.

If you hold UP or DOWN it will never happen... no matter what button you press together.

Works exactly like original.

Top Bottom