• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how was Dragon Ball (no, not the one with Z) received in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
In the US, they started airing original DB in its entirety shortly after the Android/Cell sagas in DBZ started airing.

As someone who was exposed to the series in that order, I think the 2nd half of DB holds up really well (animation hadn't gone to shit yet like in late DBZ, the B-tier characters were still important, and the fights were actual fights instead of just nonstop energy blasts), but the humor in the 1st half just completely misses the mark. Not surprised that Funimation found it best to skip forward.

Actually they aired Dragonball on german tv channels. Don't think I've seen all of Dragonball as they mainly aired the latter episodes of it where the main focus was on the tournaments and Piccolo.

I used to love it and even though I haven't seen it in a long time I still prefer it to Dragonball Z.

The tournament episodes had lots of fighting.

Son Goku vs. Tien finale fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtqlZfu0Nc

In that case they might also have aired it in The Netherlands, I was very young back then, so I can imagine missing it.

And there was plenty of fighting, but the fights were less drawn out since you would not have endless powering up during a fight. They were shorter in duration and there were not really breaks to powerup or introduce new characters.

I watched DBZ English dub, then my friend let me watch is Chinese DB VCD's and he translated most of what was going on...when there wasn't fighting.
I then watched DBGT dubbed into Thai when I lived over there for a few years...

Finally watched DBZ in Japanese when they recut the show for the Dragon Ball Z Kai.

Quite a journey I've had with the show :D

Wiseblade

If you've seen promotional art of Super Saiyan 4 Goku, then you're seen everything worthwhile GT has to offer.

After watching Kai, I don't think I could ever go back to watching Z.

I remember watching DBZ dub first before I watched DB dub. I fell in love with DB when I watched it. DB is much more lighthearted and funny compared to DBZ.

Is this true? Wow.
I grew up watching Dragon Ball, then Z, and then GT. Our local TV broadcasted 5 new episodes per week almost every week, until they finished Dragon Ball, then the same with DBZ and GT.

Also:

Dragon Ball >>> DBZ

Come at me.

Xzeon

Banned
wasnt Dragon Ball super perverted.

most of the clips ive seen is Goku peeing or something.

or when Bulma gave Goku a bath and was surprised by his tail.

and the most famous clip of him slapping Bulmas vagina.

i remember catching an ep on TV and they had a very poorly drawn leafy bush over Gokus crotch when he was naked, it was bright green and jittered all over the place on top of the animation.

all i remember aside from the pervertedness is the Red Ribbon army, Gokus magic cloud and magic staff and when he fought Piccolo.

wasnt Dragon Ball super perverted.

most of the clips ive seen is Goku peeing or something.

or when Bulma gave Goku a bath and was surprised by his tail.

and the most famous clip of him slapping Bulmas vagina.

i remember catching an ep on TV and they had a very poorly drawn leafy bush over Gokus crotch when he was naked, it was bright green and jittered all over the place on top of the animation.

all i remember aside from the pervertedness is the Red Ribbon army, Gokus magic cloud and magic staff and when he fought Piccolo.

Nah, it was fairly innocent humor. I think the leafy bush was censored or something though, since Gokus crotch was visible in plain sight sometimes.

And Yamcha wasn't a loser.

I like Wolf Fang Fist as much as the next guy, but this is a highly debatable statement. HIGHLY debatable.

Anyway, like most Americans, I started with Dragon Ball Z. If I had to rank the sagas, I'd say, Androids > Buu > Frieza.

However, I much prefer Dragon Ball. I love Toriyama's sense of humor and I loved the sense of adventure Dragon Ball had. I also love the fact that the fights are more technical and don't rely on powering up or transforming (as much). Goku vs Tien at the tournament best fight ever. And Goku vs Demonking Piccolo is just great as well

MYE

I'm a huge DBZ fan but I must admit that Dragonball had better stories and much better artists working on it.

Jado

Banned
Saban and Funimation tried translating it first, and heavily censored it, but only got to the end of the first arc before scrapping it in favor of DBZ. I remember there being a lot of VHS tapes of that first dub at my local dollar store over a decade after it was made. Sometime after Funi took over dubbing the show themselves they started making a less censored dub and airing it on Toonami alongside DBZ. It wasn't as well received as DBZ, but it was still popular enough to complete it's run, unlike the original Gundam series.

In America, the first very effort to translate DB was done by Harmony Gold in the 80s and only consisted of the first few episodes and a couple of movies. My local library had a copy of Harmony Gold's Curse of the Blood Rubies (confused me and made me think this was the beginning of DB). Then came the original 13-episode failed attempt by Funi/Saban/Ocean, followed by the successful early 2000s in-house attempt.

For anyone not clear on Pop's last statement: After successfully airing Gundam Wing (and later 08th MS Team), Cartoon Network/Toonami ran the original Mobile Suit Gundam, but pulled it off the air before it completed. Good series, but it's expected: visually it could not compare to the pace and flashiness of Wing and the other animes on the channel at that time.

I much prefer DB's story and art to DBZ. The highs of of DBZ just don't compare to the best of DB, especially the art in some of the big fights. Both series have their dull moments. I understand a preference to Z over DB, but the guy above me who put GT above both is just wrong.

Widely airing Z first led to US audiences failing to grasp the monumental impact of the opening arc: the evil origins of Demon King Piccolo, Goku and Piccolo -- rivals who twice fought to the death and the world's strongest -- working together to fight someone far more powerful, childish Goku with a child of his own, the hero dying in the first few episodes and for the time first time ever. With Piccolo in particular, it isn't clear at all why everyone is freaking out at his sudden arrival after Gohan is kidnapped (and Chichi's panic when Piccolo takes him for training).

Regarding Yamcha, I don't think it's a debate at all. He was always something of a joke and loser. He actually fell behind tiny Kid Krillin before getting somewhat serious about his training. And he always lost in the opening round of the world martial arts tournaments in highly embarrassing ways. In Baba's tournament, he barely got past the Invisible Man and later got his ass kicked by Bandages the Mummy.

MechaX

For anyone not clear on Pop's last statement: After successfully airing Gundam Wing (and later 08th MS Team), Cartoon Network/Toonami ran the original Mobile Suit Gundam, but pulled it off the air before it completed. Good series, but it's expected: visually it could not compare to the pace and flashiness of Wing and the other animes on the channel at that time.

In addition, 9/11 did not help original Gundam's case (not necessarily because it had imagery similar to 9/11, but merely that it was war-related and at the wrong timeslot at the wrong time, and ended up missing airing for quite a few days). But overall, original Gundam was definitely a... different breed than what people back then were expecting from Gundam after Wing, 08th, and even 0080 (all of which ran multiple runs). That, and Bandai's "well, Japan loved the shit out of 0079, so America will too!" thought process is part of the reason why Gundam is in the rut that it is now in America.

As for DB, I felt that despite it's kinda slow start, the Tournament/Red Ribbon Army/King Piccolo stuff was genuinely exciting. I would say that the fights, while not as over the top as DBZ, were probably more exciting to watch. And yes, Yamcha was a jobber even back then, but some of his fights were entertaining. In case point, Yamcha vs Tien. The dub was probably that first moment where Funimation was willing to go beyond the ridiculously cheesiness of DBZ-style dubbing (and was more willing to be more accurate to the original).

VariantX

It was better than Z in every single way.

Agree with this.

Also didn't like how DBZ just turned everyone without saiyan blood into a near-helpless second class citizen, with virtually no way to improve their lot. It's just hard to accept after watching these guys grow throughout the DB story in order to get sidelined suddenly like that.

Lothars

Like others have said Dragon Ball wasn't the one most people started with, I really like Z and prefer it but having seen all of Dragon Ball, I do really enjoy the show and think it's worth watching.

Not in France, I was watching DB as a kid (i'm 34) and after that, it has been followed by Z. First DB episode aired in 1988 in the most popular kid show.

Same in Spain.
France, Italy and Spain got the most our of anime in europe. Most of the time uncensored. And some crazy but fantastic dubs and translations like Dash Kappei.

I think we have to be pretty happy of living in one of this three countries around that era if we talk about anime.

.GqueB.

Banned
They made the mistake of introducing Z first here in the states. Even for me, Dragonball felt like a giant step down. Less flashy, less going on and just wasn't as entertaining to watch. Plus, you fell in love with the characters from Z and their absence made it hard to watch. I didn't really care.

I watched Dragonball first on an independent station in metro Detroit (WXON, now the MyTV affiliate as WMYD), so I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

Soodanim

What was Garlic?

Little goblins were a part of the DB Earth.

DB had quite a variety of anthropomorphic animals that seem to be gone in Z, too. And don't forget
Man-Wolf, the wolf-man that turns into a human during a full moon

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Am I right in remembering that the scene where Goku takes off Bulma's panties implies that Goku used to use his "grandfather's" dick as a pillow?

Ifrit

Widely airing Z first led to US audiences failing to grasp the monumental impact of the opening arc: the evil origins of Demon King Piccolo, Goku and Piccolo -- rivals who twice fought to the death and the world's strongest -- working together to fight someone far more powerful, childish Goku with a child of his own, the hero dying in the first few episodes and for the time first time ever. With Piccolo in particular, it isn't clear at all why everyone is freaking out at his sudden arrival after Gohan is kidnapped (and Chichi's panic when Piccolo takes him for training).

Regarding Yamcha, I don't think it's a debate at all. He was always something of a joke and loser. He actually fell behind tiny Kid Krillin before getting somewhat serious about his training. And he always lost in the opening round of the world martial arts tournaments in highly embarrassing ways. In Baba's tournament, he barely got past the Invisible Man and later got his ass kicked by Bandages the Mummy.

Yeah I watched DB first and went in blind, I was shocked at seeing goku all grown up and being pretty excited for the latest tournament at the end of the series and it was fucking great.

I was also pretty shocked at the beginning of Z, goku's an alien? Get out of here. Super Saiyan? what the fuck? Holy shit!!

It kinda went downhill after that unfortunately, still love both DB and DBZ

I started with DBZ and while DBZ was still airing I would rent DragonBall from the library or I watched them from used book, video and music stores. The story is definitely better than DBZ but it has a bit worse action. I would suggest every DBZ fan to watch it so they could see how the power of Roshi.

otapnam

Dragonball had alot of 70s/80s asian humor that alot of people might not understand. I was lucky enought to watch 5-10 eps in cantonese when i was a kid. Pretty fucking awesome

Bulzeeb

The opening, love it!

I watched Dragon Ball in order (so DB then DBZ) and I'd say Dragon Ball has a better story than Dragon Ball Z. Scenes are less drawn out, and it feels more like an adventure.

Haven't watched GT or Kai though.

I am with you (iirc here in latin america the show was aired in order) anyways, I really liked the story proression of dragon ball more, Z was nice and all but it turned into a lets see who can beam spam more and create bigger explosions show

Savitar

I remember having read about Dragon Ball in Wizard in the day, you know when they mentioned Goku was almost named Zero. In those days Manga and anime was beginning to be noticed more and get actually columns and articles devoted to them. The art style was amazing, and oddly vaguely familiar which would explain some cartoons from my youth that were oddly different than others. See shows like Robotech for that. I found out one day that Dragon Ball was going to come on TV, I liked it. Every Saturday I’d get up at six, watch, then promptly fall to sleep after. This went on for a short while and then the show vanished. YTV I think it was some time later began airing the original Dragon Ball and I enjoyed it for what it was. Over time manga and anime got more and more popular, weirdly enough Sailor Moon seems to have been what got many of us Canadians into it and lead the way for things for DBZ and Gundum. Sure it was suppose to be a girl show but it was different and charming and for many the start. It really took off here in Canada and that kinda helped people get excited for DBZ since it was suppose to be a “boy’s show” with action. Stuff like Gudum, Space airing anime movies on Saturdays like Ninja Scroll blew peoples minds and made them huge fans.

Looking back it seems almost strange how anime/manga rose up so damn quickly and seemingly collapsed even faster. People were rabid about it all once.

Satch Fuji

Neo Member
I watched a few episodes Dragon Ball in syndication because every last few pages of EGM and DH GameFan had advertisements for "Dragon BallZ/Ballz," and I wanted to know what it looked like. I also assumed that they removed the "Z" because, ya know, "Hee hee he said Ballz."

US here, saw dbz first (and didn't really care for it). DB was pretty interesting, but no one really paid attention to it.

In addition, 9/11 did not help original Gundam's case (not necessarily because it had imagery similar to 9/11, but merely that it was war-related and at the wrong timeslot at the wrong time, and ended up missing airing for quite a few days). But overall, original Gundam was definitely a... different breed than what people back then were expecting from Gundam after Wing, 08th, and even 0080 (all of which ran multiple runs). That, and Bandai's "well, Japan loved the shit out of 0079, so America will too!" thought process is part of the reason why Gundam is in the rut that it is now in America.
Lol, did they forget that first Gundam was cancelled in Japan, too?

I watched Dragon Ball early in the mornings in 1995, before they started airing Z.

They only ever aired just a few episodes, unfortunately. I really liked it.

johnsmith

remember me
I watched all of Dragon Ball in Spanish on Mexican TV when we would go down there on vacation, then later when my dad bought a big ass satellite dish. I loved it, and to me Dragon Ball Z was a huge step down. I stopped watching once it devolved to full episodes where literally nothing happened other than charging attacks.

Takao

Banned
Not as well as the other parts of the franchise. It goes back a long time:

1989: Harmony Gold dubs at least five episodes, and the first as well as the third movie with a Los Angeles cast. This dub airs as a pilot on a variety of US stations as a pilot. It wasn't well received, and thus no more episodes were ever dubbed by this cast. Infamously, this dub renames a variety of characters, Goku becomes Zero, Korin becomes Whiskers the Wonder Cat, etc.

1995: Funimation receives the Dragon Ball anime license. They dub the first 13 episodes, and the first movie with a Vancouver based voice cast. This dub airs in syndication in the US (and apparently YTV in Canada) but doesn't prove to be very successful. Funimation sells the home video rights to this portion of the series to Tri-Mark's Kidmark label. This prevents Funimation from releasing their own DVDs of this storyline until 2010. The company would then skip ahead to releasing Dragon Ball Z the next year.

2000: After the success of Dragon Ball Z on Toonami, Funimation dubs the entirety of the original series with their own in-house Texas cast. This airs in the US and Australia (?), and does well enough to complete its broadcast run. Funimation dubs the movies, and once Tri-Mark's license expires they complete the home video release of the franchise.

2003: After the success of Dragon Ball Z in Canada and the UK, French distributor AB Groupe hires a Calgary based vocal cast to dub the entirety of the series. This version does well enough to have a full broadcast run. This cast would never dub any of the movies though.

I saw Z first but I started reading Dragon Ball whenever they were published in the slightly bigger volumes for the first 9 or so volumes. Then they became smaller and red. That was a sad sad day.

Kinyou

Was probably my favorite show as a kid. Loved the whole Korin Tower story line.

1209791s5k33.jpg

1209821l3j3n.jpg

Always bugged me that Goku's staff and flying cloud become absolutely pointless in DBZ while being absolutely crucial in DB's story.

Korosenai

I love Dragonball, not as much as Z, but its still great.

To everyone wanting to try out Dragonball, get the first vizbig on Amazon for $12. You get three volumes in one (36 chapters, 525 pages), bigger pages so its easier to read, some color chapters, and its an absolute great deal.

Johnny M

There was some stuff in DB that bored me as a kid (Goku's war with the different colored armies) and still bores me now (Goku's first few times he changes at full moon) but I enjoyed it mostly. Especially since my mom said I looked like him with my hair and round face.

What? Goku's raid over the red ribbon army HQ was fucking epic.

By the way, the OST from dragon ball was on another level.

MisterHero

I remember getting episodes of Dragonball on VHS as well as Curse of the Blood Rubies. The latter was a great introduction to the series.

Thankfully now a DVD collection is probably available so it's not as hard to get into.

Splatt

DB started airing first here. I don't remember watching another show with so much sense of adventure. I like it more than DBZ.

I was sad that DBZ disregard most of the characters and important plot details from DB, like the staff and flying cloud.

JCX

Dragon Ball theme in English is the best. My intro to it was from a DB movie I rented as a kid. Most people I know started on DBZ when it was on Toonami or the International Channel.

-Eddman-

Wow, I feel sorry for americans who didn't watch DB since the beginning. Must be pretty awkward jumping straight to Z with beams and power levels and shit everywhere.

The second tournament was one of my favorite moments, when Tien and Chiaotzu where actually pretty badass. Also, the Red Ribbon arc was light-hearted action/adventure at its best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom