• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I had my JET interview yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, so I had my interview yesterday. No idea how it went. :p

I talked to my teacher about what to expect in the interview; she also does interviews and knew what types of questions they'd ask. After an hour and a half of talking to her, another 10 minute phone call from her with more info the next day, and finally her pulling me aside and giving me some quick tips about grammer questions the day of the interview, I go into the interview room...

...and virtually NONE of the questions she told me to "prepare" for were asked! o_O

I started to worry that I had already "failed" the interview when they only asked me two questions relating to grammar and nothing the teacher had told me (questions relating to finances, criminal record, etc.). I was able to answer everything; I never hesititated on anything they asked, even if I wasn't quite sure what to say (They asked me what my favorite historical period was, I said the Meiji era, but couldn't think of any famous people to name, plus I forgot to mention that Japan was never a colony ARGH), and when they asked me to do a mock lesson, I screwed it up the first time, but they said I did a great job when I got to redo it. All three interviewers were very friendly, so I can't tell how it went, and I won't know until April. The wait is killing me!! XD

For the other JETs here, how did your interviews go? Should I be worried about the questions that weren't asked, or is it just up to the interviewer on what to ask?

FoneBone

0060673.jpg

For some reason, this is what I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Lyte Edge

NLB2 said:
I'm sure you did great! Enjoy your time in Japan :).

Thanks! I hope I get it...can't think of any other jobs I really want besides this right now!

Lyte Edge

DrForester said:
I have a friend in JET, said their selection process is very random.

Any more details about this? I'm hoping I have a good chance of going because of my teacher's recommendation letter (she's very respected and has some influence on the program). Also, all three of the people from the same class I am from got accepted the last two years. One of them did HORRIBLE in the interview and got put as an alternate, but still ended up going, and I know my interview was better than his...so here's hoping! :)

border

I really did think that you were applying for a job with JET magazines :lol I didn't realize what was really being talked about until the last couple lines.

If I wanted to look into this, where would be the best place to start?

FoneBone said:
0060673.jpg

For some reason, this is what I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Chalk up another. I'm think this guy is going to be able to check out the beauties of the month all up close and personal.

Triumph

Banned
Hey, can I have yer job at the video game store when you leave. My job is sucking something fierce right now.

Oh wait, you guys sell lots of anime, too, don't you? Never mind. They'd fire me the minute I told an anime fanboy to develop some taste and culture. :(

Lyte Edge

Raoul Duke said:
Hey, can I have yer job at the video game store when you leave. My job is sucking something fierce right now.

Oh wait, you guys sell lots of anime, too, don't you? Never mind. They'd fire me the minute I told an anime fanboy to develop some taste and culture. :(

Just used anime DVDs when they come in. But the game store is doing incredibly shitty and will most likely be closed by August. I can't even get enough hours right now as is.

There's still plenty of anime fanboy nerds that come in though. It's really easy to deal with them:

1. Play dumb. Tell them you don't watch that Japanese cartoon stuff.
2. Turn off all anime-related games that might be demoing.
3. Act like you nothing about video games or anime; "hey, I just work here." Works great for me! :lol

rareside

Congrats on being DONE with the interview.. Mine is next Thursday, and I haven't prepared at ALL.... I need to look up a few possible questions, and read over my application essay again so I can get 'in the zone'. It's been so long since I applied, back in OCT or so...

Any other notables in the interview? How long was the interview? And was your sample lesson your own subject or did they tell you what to teach?

0wn3d

^ Very interesting read.

I really want to do the JET programme when I graduate. The questions you posted were interesting, especially naming four Japanese people. I would said Prime Minister Koizumi and Utada Hikaru... though I heard it's better to be a "typical American" than to be someone well versed in Japanese pop culture (movies, anime, music, etc.).

Keep us posted on what happens! Ganbatte!

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Thanks for keeping us updated, Lyte and Kuro!

I'm really looking forward to applying for next year and your experiences should be enlightening.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
well from what I understand JET is very under staffed these days. So you have a pretty good chance. But on the flip side, JET has been losing all of their major contracts in the major areas lately.....

Lyte Edge said:
Any more details about this? I'm hoping I have a good chance of going because of my teacher's recommendation letter (she's very respected and has some influence on the program). Also, all three of the people from the same class I am from got accepted the last two years. One of them did HORRIBLE in the interview and got put as an alternate, but still ended up going, and I know my interview was better than his...so here's hoping! :)

A friend of mine also went throught the Jet interview process two years ago and was in the same position you're in now. I remember he was terrified when they asked him to do a mock lesson plan on his favorite holiday (he did MLK day..:) ). He received a letter roughly 3 months after the interview and was put on the waiting list. Anways, he was able to go to Japan because someone supposedly decline their offer to Jet after being accepted. I usually get emails from him and he' s having a blast teaching English to the Japanese school-children. I've been thinking about applying to the Jet program also..but i'm currently having a blast student teaching at my local school. Have fun in Japan Lyte Edge!

Blackace

I heard last year they had only 80% or so of the teachers they needed... so I am sure you'll get in...

I've considered JET, but the whole "having to teach kids" thing gets in the way. There's no profession I could consider more uninteresting than teaching, but I guess doing it in Japan is a whole different experience. Alot would have to do with the age of the kids I'd be involved with.

tetsuoxb

You have to be a major douche to not get into JET. However, if you fuck up the interview expect to be placed in some minor island chain between Kyushu and Okinawa.

Blackace

Go Go Ackman! said:
I've considered JET, but the whole "having to teach kids" thing gets in the way. There's no profession I could consider more uninteresting than teaching, but I guess doing it in Japan is a whole different experience. Alot would have to do with the age of the kids I'd be involved with.

This is nothing personal but this is the problem with a lot of "teachers" here. They don't want to be teachers. They are just using it as an excuse to get to Japan, and it give the real teachers, people who want to teach ( I want to be a teacher for the rest of my life and cannot dream of another job I want to do.) a bad name

rareside

tetsuoxb said:
You have to be a major douche to not get into JET. However, if you fuck up the interview expect to be placed in some minor island chain between Kyushu and Okinawa.

I actually requested either Kyushu or Okinawa placement. Something about getting away from all the <extremely> busy city life that appeals to me. Okinawa might be too rural now though, thinking about it. I'm gonna have to mention in the interview that as long as I'm within 10miles of a Mario Kart Arcade machine, I'll be fine. I think my requests went:

#1- Fukuoka
#2- Kitakyushu City (I think...)
#3- Anywhere on Okinawa

Truthfully I just wanna be somewhere warm, I fucking haaaaaaaaate the cold, but I don't think JET will cater to weather requests, so I'm gonna have to do some quick research on the delights of the warm weather places.

tetsuoxb

Just a note... unless you guys ace your interview, and wrote awesome essays... chances of getting an urban placement (Fukuoka, Kitakyushu) are pretty slim.

Remember, JET Placement is based on a scoring system.

Your application is scored. Your letters and essay are scored. Your interview is scored. Highest scores get their placement preferences first.

rareside

Just got out of my JET interview (HOUSTON). Wow is all I can say. It went okay I guess, standard interview fare, although I ROYALLY FUCKED UP ONE QUESTION:

Being that you'll represent America as am ambassador, what will you describe about your country to students?

Such an open-ended question, and I started babbling about baseball and politics. POLITICS!! I DON'T EVEN LIKE POLITICS! And one of the women on the panel looked over at another woman with the most confused look of "what the fuck is this boy talking about?" That was the only question where my own nervousness fucked me over.

UGH... Hopefully the other questions were enough to balance the interview out. We'll see in May.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Do you remember some of the other questions they asked you? Did you get that one about bringing three items to represent your country to a Japanese student? I don't even know how to begin to answer that one...

rareside

Most of the questions were related to my application or statement of purpose...

"You mention your college experience has taught you problem solving. Cite one specific example of problem solving that you encountered during your semester abroad in Japan."

"You mention you worked with Nintendo (on the street team). What kind of work did you do, and how can this relate to the JET program?"

"Do you have any experience teaching children?"

"You mention you are interested in physics and engineering. How can this relate to the JET program?" [This was a weird one to answer, as I'm burnt out on physics at the moment, and any physics work I do in Japan will be sidework/idependent].

Most of it is just quick BS and showing flexibility.

I was not asked to speak in Japanese at all, even though I expected they would at least ask me for a short introduction. I got lucky there. I was also lucky the panel was all women, and that I was the first interview in the morning, so everything was fresh and they weren't sick of interviewing people yet.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have no teaching experience, I'm not really planning on making a career out of it, and I don't really speak any Japanese. (I get nervous in interviews, too)

Do I have a chance to do anything with JET? Like a teacher's assistant who doesn't need to teach independently?

Lyte Edge

Got an e-mail from JET today. I sat in front of my computer for several minutes before mustering up the courage to open the e-mail.

Got picked as an ALTERNATE. *sigh* It said I was on the short list, however, which I'm pretty sure is a good sign. All this means now is even more waiting to find out if I'm going to go or not. Could be as late as September now.

Anyone else get a response yet? I'm rooting for you guys. :)

shoplifter

Lyte Edge said:
Got an e-mail from JET today. I sat in front of my computer for several minutes before mustering up the courage to open the e-mail.

They couldn't even send you a fucking LETTER? Jesus, I'm glad I never did it.

Lyte, wish you the best. Hope it all works out for you.

And when you do get it, enjoy your time in the land of the rising sun.

tetsuoxb

Wait a second lyte...

does it say you are an alternate or does it say you are on a "short list".

"Short list" means you have been accepted as long as you dont rape your mother or sodimize goats before you leave.

Bebpo

Banned
Since he said Alternate then I'm pretty sure it said Alternate somewhere on the paper. I think there were several types of alternates depending on if you're high or low on the list.

Anyhow I'm sure you'll get in Lyte, I don't know anyone who applied to JET and did the interview who didn't get it.

So as they say...welcome to hell >_<

Lyte Edge

shoplifter said:
They couldn't even send you a fucking LETTER? Jesus, I'm glad I never did it.

For all I know, there will be a letter in the mailbox tomorrow. They did the same thing when I first applied, sending information both by e-mail and snailmail.

Outcast2004 said:
Lyte, wish you the best. Hope it all works out for you.

And when you do get it, enjoy your time in the land of the rising sun.

Thanks man. The replies in this thread are really making me feel better right now. :)

Bebpo said:
Since he said Alternate then I'm pretty sure it said Alternate somewhere on the paper. I think there were several types of alternates depending on if you're high or low on the list.

Yeah, that's what I thought I heard too. I'm hoping my teacher will be able to tell from the letter how my chances are.

Bebpo said:
Anyhow I'm sure you'll get in Lyte, I don't know anyone who applied to JET and did the interview who didn't get it.

Neither do I, Bebpo (I know a girl that didn't get in, but she didn't even pass the APPLICATION process!); all my classmates that applied got in. One of them was also an alternate last year and got picked at the last minute. He had no time to do anything to prepare and had to leave immediately.

Bebpo said:
So as they say...welcome to hell >_<

...I hope. Gotta get the hell out of where I am now. Gotta get away from this job, too. Almost at the nine year mark already. o_O

tetsuoxb said:
Lyte, if you dont mind... PM me or post the email you got... id like to see what it said.

PM sent. :)

From the letter they sent me:

"This letter is to inform you that you have been selected as an ALTERNATE ALT/CIR candidate for this year's JET Program.

You will be informed as to whether a candidacy on the short-list has become available by the end of September. If you at that stage still wish to participate in the Program, placement will proceed upon receiving confirmation from you. After a Contracting Organization has been selected, you will be informed of the name of the prefecture or designated city to which you are assigned. Every effort will be made to satisfy your posting preferences. However, please understand that this will not always be possible. If you do not hear anything from the JET Program Office by the end of September, it means that a short-list candidacy position did not become available."

What I'd like to know is how they are going to be sending people over by the end of September when all the orientation stuff is in the summer time. The only thing I can think of is that getting picked in September would mean someone took the position and couldn't handle it (perhaps living alone in a foreign country, not liking the teaching parts, etc.), and then they hurry to fill the spot.

My father did some quick research on this and it seems like they work from the application process right until the very end selecting people, and that there's still a good chance of going as alternate. I'm remaining optimistic about it, but I can't help but be disappointed at the same time for obvious reasons. :)

My teacher told me that JET generally goes with all the applicants from top schools first, but that many of those applicants turn the job down since they get something far better before then, which is why I expected to be picked as an alternate.

If you get rejected this year, you could always apply again next year, just don't forget to dye your hair blonde and wear green contacts :p

Hope you get in though...good luck man :)

tetsuoxb

What consulate did you apply to?

Chances are you will get upgraded in early May. Most alternates are upgrade way before departure.

Lyte Edge

:lol Norin, don't forget 80 piercings all over your body, too!

tetsuoxb said:
What consulate did you apply to?

Chances are you will get upgraded in early May. Most alternates are upgrade way before departure.

The Atlanta Consulate. I saw in your PM that I could call them up to find out my place in line? They actually tell you that?? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom