• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just spent three weeks in Israel/Palestine and here are my impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Actually, that's how I thought I was using it. What part in particular was confusing?

Particularly for Arab, I'm using it generically to refer to anyone of Palestinian or Israeli nationality, whether Muslim or Christian religiously, with Arabian or Levantine indigenous background. I use Israeli specifically to mean Jewish people of Israeli nationality regardless of ethnic background (there can't be that many Palestinian Jews anymore). That's how everyone I talked to used the terms.

You kept comparing Israeli's vs Arabs "Israelis have a reputation for not being as friendly as Arabs" Maybe I was just confused with your wording? Using Israeli to only refer to Jewish Israelis is wrong though, kinda muddles the comparison. Or rather makes it confusing. You can say Jewish people, it's not like you were being inconsiderate or prejudiced in your post in any way. I found your experience quite interesting, just a little confused as to how you were describing the groups.

It sounds like you did a whole lot in 3 weeks. Did you get to travel to any other Middle Eastern countries? Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon are so close, three other countries I would love to visit. I also want shawarma now for some reason.

yarden24

Actually, that's how I thought I was using it. What part in particular was confusing?

Particularly for Arab, I'm using it generically to refer to anyone of Palestinian or Israeli nationality, whether Muslim or Christian religiously, with Arabian or Levantine indigenous background. I use Israeli specifically to mean Jewish people of Israeli nationality regardless of ethnic background (there can't be that many Palestinian Jews anymore). That's how everyone I talked to used the terms.

almost all the Israeli Muslims and Christians are Palestinians, which would be almost 20% of Israels citizens, they are called Israeli Arabs sometimes, but they are almost all Palestinians who got Israeli citizenship in 48

genjiZERO

You kept comparing Israeli's vs Arabs "Israelis have a reputation for not being as friendly as Arabs" Maybe I was just confused with your wording? Using Israeli to only refer to Jewish Israelis is wrong though, kinda muddles the comparison. Or rather makes it confusing. You can say Jewish people, it's not like you were being inconsiderate or prejudiced in your post in any way. I found your experience quite interesting, just a little confused as to how you were describing the groups.

It sounds like you did a whole lot in 3 weeks. Did you get to travel to any other Middle Eastern countries? Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon are so close, three other countries I would love to visit. I also want shawarma now for some reason.

Er, yeah. So people who are Arab, regardless of their citizenship, are generally considered friendlier than those who are not . . . I guess I can see why you are confused, but that's how everyone around me was using it . . . Everyone said, "Arab" to refer to all Arab people whether Israeli or Palestinian, and Israeli to refer to Jews. I never heard anyone say "Jew" outside of a religious context. People only said Israeli Arab when differentiating between Palestinian or Israeli citizenship, or when differentiating between Arab and non-Arab Israelis. Maybe that's wrong, but how people were using it around me.

No unfortunately, there was no time to go anywhere else. In particular, I'm disappointed the situation in Syria is so bad right now because everyone says how great it was (before the uprising).

My gf went with her family a few years ago as her brother did an exchange with Glasgow art uni and spent a term out there. They all seemed to enjoy it.
One thing I do find amusing is their storys of men having to stand up or avoid sitting next to women.
The main example is gf and her twin are sitting on a bench, her brother sits next to them and a random man sits next to him.
Brother stands up to light a cig, the man stands up, brother sits down, man sits down.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Great post OP, thanks for the write up.

"I disagree with this one minor irrelevant thing you said therefore I discard your entire post."

Mondy would rather be outraged than sensible

DeerMan

Banned
I went to Israel on birthright, almost a year ago. It was the best time ever. I visited the shuk (market) in tel Aviv the first day, I should have bought chicken Sharma spices I'm really kicking myself for not. The shuk was the highlight of the trip. It was like the how people used to shop hundreds and thousands of years ago,before supermarkets. I had falafel on pita(the pita is much thicker than in the US...for the better) I got the falafel right as it came out of the fryer and I asked for chips in it (fries). It was amazing.

I met a couple of really nice and hot girls on the trip and chat with one five times a week on Facebook. Everyone I saw was so pretty or handsome. There was a Hasidic wedding in the Jerusalem gate hotel where we were staying and I peeked inside and saw the men separated from the women. The party was really jumping! There were such cute kids, girls in such nice dresses and young boys in suits. I had the best israeli beer I ever had called Maccabee.

The soldiers on our trip were mature and wise beyond their years. They were so great, and knowing all Israeli citizens have to go into the army gives you a new found respect for them and what they do to keep all citizens and tourists safe. I climbed Masada and went to the dead sea after. It's really amazing how they have handrails all the way up Masada, that you wonder how they brought them all the way up there.

I will definitely move there in my lifetime and the question is only what neighborhood. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming it was so unlike America where no one talks to strangers or even looks at each other like on the streets or subways in NYC. I felt so safe the whole time, also unlike the US because of all the crime, muggings, and the knockout game.

It really made me feel like I was finally home and in my ancestors homeland. We visited had Yad Vashem, the holocaust museum which was really sad for me personally having a survivor grandmother that lost her first husband and only son in Auschwitz. My mom still has the picture of him, he was only five years old when he was murdered. We don't even know my grandmother's first husbands last name to put a record of Yossi , her son or her husband's name. Israel is he only place in the world where Jews can ever truely feel at home and safe from pogroms / persecution in the future.I can't wait to move there in the not to distant future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom