• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I pose the question to you GAFOT, what is an "OAER" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
"GAFOT" looks like something they would use on OA thingking it wasa clever twist on "fa**ot" and GA. :rolleyes:

Edit: that would suck. I have a clean record on GA, and I didn't say it to anybody, I am one of the least homophobic people on this board. :(

but still better safe than sorry.

OA used to be a pretty funny alternative to GA, with a very select group of incredibly smart and irreverent folks baiting a bunch of ignorant authoritarian internet posers. Oh, and Opa was a much fresher brand of one-trick pony back then; he was less political and more, well, desperate. Now he's just jaded and redundant. There were some truly classic flame wars there; almost up to classic USENET standards.

Apparently, the smart folks lost, because it's almost all retards nowadays. It's a cesspit of manufactured drama from inveterate liars, self-loathing hyperconservatives, predictable invented personalities, insecure wanna-be internet tough guys/gals, and feces-flinging latchkey kids who alternate between begging for attention and screaming in shrill rage whenever their dubious manhood is called into question. Freud would love the place. It's the elephant's graveyard for your sense of perspective.

That said, it's a fun indulgence to read; it's like the first episodes of American Idol, only they're auditioning for modship or basic popularity, and not a one of them has any basic social graces.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Drinky Crow said:
OA used to be a pretty funny alternative to GA, with a very select group of incredibly smart and irreverent folks baiting a bunch of ignorant authoritarian internet posers. Oh, and Opa was a much fresher brand of one-trick pony back then; he was less political and more, well, desperate. Now he's just jaded and redundant. There were some truly classic flame wars there; almost up to classic USENET standards.

Doug I find it hard to believe OA could come close to fun that was rec.games.video.sega. ;)

Ryck

It used to be half way decent , but lately it just plain sucks.....between attention whores and people bitching and crying about the admins..

Ryck

I don't mind them at all......People are constantly complaining about them though...I guess I should rephrase that to bitching about the mods

Ryck said:
I don't mind them at all......People are constantly complaining about them though
Weird.

So this is it huh?
Opalogo3.jpg

From the looks of it, is the forum being shut down?

Never, never visit OA, it'll turn you into a horrible person, a twisted shell of your former self. It's like prison, once you've been institutionalized you'll never regain your sense of decency and acceptable social conduct....They pride themselves in being proponents of free speech, but it's their excuse for being able to say "NIGGER" "NIGGER" FAGGOT" "FAGGOT"...."chink", whenever they disagree with you.

Kon Tiki

Banned
But the sad truth is opa-ages NEEDS GA without it, it would slowly decay.

Weird. Whenever GAF goes on it monthly hiatuses, OA traffic skyrockets.

Seems like GA is stealing OA traffic.

CK, I agree, even moreso since you made that post.

OA is my other main forum aside from this place. Its smaller, so its easier to get to know people there. Its true, it can be a real hell hole. Rotten spam, emoticon topics, the forum just dissapearing, predictable topics...ecd. People will call eachother the worst of names for no real reason, its the norm. Is it worse then the bone cutting sarcasm that other more civilized forums have? I don't know. Out of all that shit can come some geuninely entertaining stuff.

I have mixed feelings towards the place, but its spawned some pretty good topics if you wade through all the bullshit. People aren't nearly as bad there as some think. Sure, some of them are scum of the internet. But, there's some genuinely decent people there as far as internet persona's go. Open your heart to them, who knows...maybe even love them.

As far as the whole GA/OA thing, I never get into that shit. The main gripe some of the people have there is that they said they were unjustly banned from GA. Is it true? Well, could be. But, OA isn't clear of that either. Someone just got banned there because one of the admins felt like it. In the end, the whole war is rediculous.

I move for peace, love, and freedom between GA and OA.

peace.jpg

Ryck

Biff Hardbody said:

I move for peace, love, and freedom between GA and OA.
you know I said the exact same thing over there and they put that damned gay smiley in retaliation...........

Drinky Crow said:

Apparently, the smart folks lost, because it's almost all retards nowadays. It's a cesspit of manufactured drama from inveterate liars, self-loathing hyperconservatives, predictable invented personalities, insecure wanna-be internet tough guys/gals, and feces-flinging latchkey kids who alternate between begging for attention and screaming in shrill rage whenever their dubious manhood is called into question. Freud would love the place. It's the elephant's graveyard for your sense of perspective.

That said, it's a fun indulgence to read; it's like the first episodes of American Idol, only they're auditioning for modship or basic popularity, and not a one of them has any basic social graces.
Nothing this accurate has ever been typed on the internet before ever

Divine Puncher said:
Never, never visit OA, it'll turn you into a horrible person, a twisted shell of your former self. It's like prison, once you've been institutionalized you'll never regain your sense of decency and acceptable social conduct....They pride themselves in being proponents of free speech, but it's their excuse for being able to say "NIGGER" "NIGGER" FAGGOT" "FAGGOT"...."chink", whenever they disagree with you.

LOL

This is so funny because... it's true? NO, IT'S BECAUSE I KNOW THIS, MAN.

Laurent

The good thing about Opa-Ages is that you can write your own tag! I can wait for my "Junior Member" to fall down...

Saturnman said:
Mike Works only joined OA a couple of months ago. Coincidence? I think not.
Ever since I joined, the board has not been deleted nor taken over by any admins. You should be thanking me.

Although I suppose you could blame me for having some sort of effect on the death of free speech and anything goes policy OA has gotten rid of since I started posting ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom