• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and it's bad...

I heard so much about this book that at worst I was expecting something that I might not like, but I would still respect... But how is this any better than any "self improvement" book written by any idiot?

For first half I was hoping that it would go somewhere, but it really doesn't do anything with the premise. I can't even buy the premise that the boy wouldn't be better off if he just didn't go on the journey. Also what's even the point of all the religious references? Am I missing something? This book just made me angry :)

I read it last year after my dad wouldn't stop talking about it.

I found it to be kinda "whatever" but I can see why it got popular.

RavenH2

It's one of those "you had to be there" kind of books. It touches both self help and surrealism. It was impresive in its time

Platy

To be fair it was published in the 80's ... so they didn't had much self improvement stuff at that time.

But who am I kinding ? I just came here to post this weabo Paulo Coelho pic

iD8H2NY.jpg

I read it in 2002 and I found it be a complete bag of shite, offering nothing.

It's one of the few things that I really judge people on, if they like it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I didn't really love it or hate. I enjoy magical realism and some parts were interesting but yeah it felt... I don't know, maybe meandering at times?

I read it last year after my dad wouldn't stop talking about it.

I found it to be kinda "whatever" but I can see why it got popular.

I read it in comic book format, I found it far more amusing that way.

The "self-improvement" aspect is the reason why I gave it a chance and finished reading it. But it basically still ends saying that money=self-fulfillment even though there are numerous examples in the book where it's shown not to be true...

Dynomutt

Best self help books I've read were in the 6th grade. Hatchet and Brian's Winter lol! Just got to do it sometimes.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Best self help books I've read were in the 6th grade. Hatchet and Brian's Winter lol! Just got to do it sometimes.

Hatchet was a great read. I should try rereading it and see if it still holds up. That shit was gripping as a kid.

Best self-help book I've read is probably one of those Economics 101 books :). Sure, I might still make incorrect assumptions on daily basis, but at least I sort of know how the world functions...

Oberon

Banned
I personally listened to the audiobook and really liked it. It is pretty simple but I guess that's what I liked about it. Maybe it's because I am in my early 20s and with still a lot of hope in me. I get that the "follow your dreams" talk is clichee at this point, but I personally never needed more than just that. The only "self help" book I've read ( haven't finished yet) is the art of learning so I don't have much to compare it to.
I am sorry to hear that it didn't inspire you.

It's absolutely godawful. Terribly written, and the philosophy bullshit is just self-help wrapped up in a narrative so that people who think they would hate self-help feel clever and well adjusted having read it.

I feel really angry about it. Perhaps I should read something to help me feel calmer.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Most of the books I had heard about as a kid ended up being utter shit when I read them as an adult. Alchemist, Moth Smoke are at the top of that list.

I've had 3 Paulo Coelho books recommended to me and I liked none of them. Manual of the Warrior of Light, The Alchemist and Veronica needs to die.

Richie

I don't know about other countries but Coelho is the punching bag of the so called intellectual spheres here in Mexico, see nothing but mockery whenever he's brought up.

SDCowboy

Odd, I remember absolutely loving that book. It was one of the few mandatory curriculum books that I enjoyed.

Maybe if I read it today, I'd have a different opinion. Who knows.

Anedar

I loved it when i was twelve, but i haven't re-read it since then because i know that it will be shit now.

turmoil

Banned
I had to read it as an high school assignment back then. The teacher hyped it so much than it ended being a big disappointment.

Worst part was reading it for a second time to select extracts.

WonderPup

I really enjoyed the book, but I went into it with the understanding that it was allegorical. If you began the book with the expectation that it was going to be a typical story, I can understand why there would be some frustration.

The book had some quotes that I felt were worth reflecting on, too.

“It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”

“Everything in life has its price.”

“Sometimes, there’s just no way to hold back the river.”

You can dismiss the book as just more "self-help", but it sounds like many of you may have set your expectations far too high. I found it to be insightful.

I really enjoyed the book, but I went into it with the understanding that it was allegorical. If you began the book with the expectation that it was going to be a typical story, I can understand why there would be some frustration.

The book had some quotes that I felt were worth reflecting on, too.

”It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."

”Everything in life has its price."

”Sometimes, there's just no way to hold back the river."

You can dismiss the book as just more "self-help", but it sounds like many of you may have set your expectations far too high. I found it to be insightful.

Well I thought that this is where it was going, but then the ending equates an actual treasure to some sort of success. It undermines everything that the book tough us earlier. If it was what you described I would be OK with it... But second half actually made me angry. :)

Also I'm not even getting into the whole religious angle. I'm not very religious, but this book kind of implies that religion is magic. Which in turn made me feel even less religious...

WonderPup

Well I thought that this is where it was going, but then the ending equates an actual treasure to some sort of success. It undermines everything that the book tough us earlier. If it was what you described I would be OK with it... But second half actually made me angry. :)

Also I'm not even getting into the whole religious angle. I'm not very religious, but this book kind of implies that religion is magic. Which in turn made me feel even less religious...

The character found real treasure, because that was his dream. The reader was to substitute their own dreams or goals as the treasure.

In the beginning, the boy was a shepherd. In the end, he had expanded well beyond that and become transformed in ways he could never have imagined. And even when it all seemed hopeless or foolish -- even when the boy took a break and seemed to give up -- the book said that that was okay. Some times, you have to sell polished glass. Some times, that is where you're supposed to be, and that's okay, too. But you also have to acknowledge that you have a path to walk (if you believe in that sort of a thing), and eventually, you have to return to it and see your purpose through to the end.

I don't know. I really took a lot away from my reading of the book.

The character found real treasure, because that was his dream. The reader was to substitute their own dreams or goals as the treasure.

In the beginning, the boy was a shepherd. In the end, he had expanded well beyond that and become transformed in ways he could never have imagined. And even when it all seemed hopeless or foolish -- even when the boy took a break and seemed to give up -- the book said that that was okay. Some times, you have to sell polished glass. Some times, that is where you're supposed to be, and that's okay, too. But you also have to acknowledge that you have a path to walk (if you believe in that sort of a thing), and eventually, you have to return to it and see your purpose through to the end.

I don't know. I really took a lot away from my reading of the book.

There's no way that shepherd's true dream would be money when there are multiple instances in the book where he makes it pretty clear that money is just means to achieve something more fulfilling... Plus the book is written in a way where the shepherd seemed very happy and satisfied with his life at the beginning of the book. Not sure why I'm supposed to believe that he is better off at the end because of cash he got. :)

I would agree that the experience he got on the road is definitely valuable, but that's not what the last part of the book emphasizes...

jstripes

Banned
My former boss bought me a copy of it about 5 years ago, he wouldn't shut up about the damn book and talked about it to everyone, and I still haven't cracked it open.

Permanently A

I read this book in 6th grade and found it interesting at the time but I'm sure most of it went over my head. I didn't even know it was purported as a self help book.

Funnily enough it was recommended by my English teacher. I didn't think it was that bad.

MeLe

Neo Member
This book is pretty much a meme in my country nowadays. Mainly because some celebrity who won Miss Universe in the 80s, and who was the muse of our dictatorship, was a huge fan and friend of Coelho. It got really popular, and eventually most critics tore it apart.

Honestly I will probably never read this because of the amount of jokes and mockery I've heard in reference to it. At this point I honestly think It's likely well deserved, even if I haven't read a page of it. Funny how that works.

Stencil

To be fair it was published in the 80's ... so they didn't had much self improvement stuff at that time.

But who am I kinding ? I just came here to post this weabo Paulo Coelho pic

Jesus that's him? My dad lent me this book but after reading the synopsis I had to give it back without reading it. OP you've done enough to quell my guilt.

PillarEN

I've always heard it being smacked down by "serious readers". Looking at my book shelf I see his book Aleph sitting there. Worth a read or leave to collect dust for all eternity?

Why is this guy hated anyway? Seems like deja vu with the guy who wrote The Da Vinci Code. Popular stuff. Enjoyed by sane people, but the "readers" (core readers? I don't know. The GAF of readers if you follow me) really have it out for him. Like it's Call of Duty or something haha.

Read it back when I was in high school for a writing course. It is simple, and to be frank it's a very accessible telling of the hero's journey narrative. Reading it in high school it became clear to me that The Alchemist is better suited for younger readers, but I enjoyed reading it regardless. I don't think it should be dismissed for its simplicity though because it has some educational value.

Faddy

Banned
It took me about 4 hours to read so it isn't a huge waste of time.

It does hammer you over the head with its messages and it doesn't give you any complicated characters but I thought it was decent enough.

It is like watching two meh movies. I just watched CGI Beowulf - garbage, but I'm not going to complain about it

AJLma

Read it similarly. Thought the book was only decent and a little boring, but something about the last chapter got to me.

I'm still not sure why people recommend it to others though.

Permanently A

I didn't know this was marketed as a self help book or some shit. I just read it in 6th or 7th grade and thought it was a cool story about a guy on a journey.

edit: I didn't realize this was an old thread I had already replied to lmao

Top Bottom