• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I tried to watch "The Last Airbender" last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It's always hard to know where you fit into the spectrum on consensus. I usually find that my opinions about movies differ from the most vocal groups here on GAF. Years ago, television viewers were blessed with the best cartoon ever to be aired, "Avatar: The Last Airbender." It sadly only lasted three short seasons, and the final episode seemed like a story that should have taken about an hour to tell compressed into 20 minutes, but over all it was satisfying. But, since it ended so soon, it left you wanting more.

Well, what better to fill the gap it left than for a studio to make a live action adaptation? With a renowned director like M. Night Shyamalan no less? That's what I thought anyway, but the internet seemed to disagree. Not one person had anything good to say about it, but it always seems that way when you adapt something to another medium. Surely this was just another case of fans wanting to be told the same exact story the exact same way all over again, instead of just embracing the new version for what it was, right?

A couple weeks ago I was ordering some DVDs from my local library, and since I'd recently watched the entire cartoon, thought it was about time I finally watched the movie. I looked it up, another branch had it, I ordered it and waited.

What I was hoping would happen was something like this: the internet hate machine having cooled down and long forgotten a movie from years ago, I'd be able watch it, enjoy, and find some likeminded people to discuss it with online. If only.

"The Last Airbender" is hot steaming garbage. No, it's a hot steaming festering garbage salad with diarrhea dressing. I have never seen a movie where every single line of dialog was absolutely terrible until yesterday. Every written line was bad, ever actor's delivery was universally terrible. One thing I hate in movies is a character repeating verbatim dialog from something else with no irony, but the one line that wasn't headspinningly terrible was exactly that. What makes that more irritating is that it was a quote from the TV show, and it shed light on the fact that they could have just lifted the dialog from the show 99% of the time and the movie would have been much, much better.

Another issue with the movie was the filmmakers mangling the story with new exposition that was entirely un needed. The basic idea of the show is this: bad guys want to take over the world, bad guys invade other countries, bad guys enact complete genocide on one of them, the ensuing war lasts over 100 years. You don't need to add anything to that to show how bad the bad guys are, they're clearly fucking evil. But that wasn't good enough for Shyamalan or whoever wrote this thing. They had to add in some bullshit about the Fire Nation doing this as a direct act of religious disobedience to group of guiding "spirits," or, as George Lucas called it, "The Force."

The last straw for me was a scene where for no apparent reason Aang water bends, fire bends, and earth bends in front of Uncle Iroh. Basically, Zuko and Iroh have captured Aang and put bendable materials in front of him. For whatever reason, Aang bends every single one of them in front of them, when they will quite obviously try to kill him if he does this. What's worse, as a viewer you know that Aang understands what will happen when he does this because of the horrified look on his face as they set each material in front of him and watch him bend it. Since Aang knows what's going to happen, why does he do it? They don't instruct him to, he just does it on his own. Why?

Truth be told, this movie was terrible and I didn't make it much further than that. They went to the Air Temple and I'd had enough, so I ejected it. I could tell it wasn't going to improve, so I gave up the ghost. Though I hate to say it, the internet was right. This movie sucks.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The "flow like water" scene is the only barely - and I mean just barely - passable thing about this entire movie.

And that's mainly because of the JNH music bearing most of the load of that scene.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The "flow like water" scene is the only barely - and I mean just barely - passable thing about this entire movie.

And that's mainly because of the JNH music bearing most of the load of that scene.

Was just going to say the music is good. Aaaaand that's about it.

858788_o.gif

Rest

The way they butcher pronunciations, and everything else for that matter, made me a sad panda.

That was really weird. Why did they change the names? It made no sense...

Jacob

I was warned against seeing it in theatres, but went anyway, and was appalled. A year or two ago I was wondering if it was really as bad as I remembered, so I watched it again. I thought it was just as terrible, but with the passage of time it had become funnier to me. But yeah, it's incompetent on so many levels as to just boggle the mind.

It's always hard to know where you fit into the spectrum on consensus. I usually find that my opinions about movies differ from the most vocal groups here on GAF. Years ago, television viewers were blessed with the best cartoon ever to be aired, "Avatar: The Last Airbender." It sadly only lasted three short seasons, and the final episode seemed like a story that should have taken about an hour to tell compressed into 20 minutes, but over all it was satisfying. But, since it ended so soon, it left you wanting more.

Well, what better to fill the gap it left than for a studio to make a live action adaptation? With a renowned director like M. Night Shyamalan no less? That's what I thought anyway, but the internet seemed to disagree. Not one person had anything good to say about it, but it always seems that way when you adapt something to another medium. Surely this was just another case of fans wanting to be told the same exact story the exact same way all over again, instead of just embracing the new version for what it was, right?

A couple weeks ago I was ordering some DVDs from my local library, and since I'd recently watched the entire cartoon, thought it was about time I finally watched the movie. I looked it up, another branch had it, I ordered it and waited.

What I was hoping would happen was something like this: the internet hate machine having cooled down and long forgotten a movie from years ago, I'd be able watch it, enjoy, and find some likeminded people to discuss it with online. If only.

"The Last Airbender" is hot steaming garbage. No, it's a hot steaming festering garbage salad with diarrhea dressing. I have never seen a movie where every single line of dialog was absolutely terrible until yesterday. Every written line was bad, ever actor's delivery was universally terrible. One thing I hate in movies is a character repeating verbatim dialog from something else with no irony, but the one line that wasn't headspinningly terrible was exactly that. What makes that more irritating is that it was a quote from the TV show, and it shed light on the fact that they could have just lifted the dialog from the show 99% of the time and the movie would have been much, much better.

Another issue with the movie was the filmmakers mangling the story with new exposition that was entirely un needed. The basic idea of the show is this: bad guys want to take over the world, bad guys invade other countries, bad guys enact complete genocide on one of them, the ensuing war lasts over 100 years. You don't need to add anything to that to show how bad the bad guys are, they're clearly fucking evil. But that wasn't good enough for Shyamalan or whoever wrote this thing. They had to add in some bullshit about the Fire Nation doing this as a direct act of religious disobedience to group of guiding "spirits," or, as George Lucas called it, "The Force."

The last straw for me was a scene where for no apparent reason Aang water bends, fire bends, and earth bends in front of Uncle Iroh. Basically, Zuko and Iroh have captured Aang and put bendable materials in front of him. For whatever reason, Aang bends every single one of them in front of them, when they will quite obviously try to kill him if he does this. What's worse, as a viewer you know that Aang understands what will happen when he does this because of the horrified look on his face as they set each material in front of him and watch him bend it. Since Aang knows what's going to happen, why does he do it? They don't instruct him to, he just does it on his own. Why?

Truth be told, this movie was terrible and I didn't make it much further than that. They went to the Air Temple and I'd had enough, so I ejected it. I could tell it wasn't going to improve, so I gave up the ghost. Though I hate to say it, the internet was right. This movie sucks.
I am fairly sure the exact opposite of that happen where the final episode was made into a movie..or am I misunderstanding something?

jb1234

JNH's music is often the only salvageable part of Shyamalan's later films. I hope he got paid very, very well.

Big Nikus

I've just started the third season of the show (season 2 was perfect). Does the movie cover more than the first season ? Can I watch it tomorrow and be appalled like everyone else ?
One of my friends who has weird tastes has been telling me for years that the movie was really good... so I'm sure I'll hate it (he's never seen the series...)
I sometimes like shitty adaptations as a guilty pleasure when I know what to expect, so I'm curious.

jb1234

I've just started the third season of the show (season 2 was perfect). Does the movie cover more than the first season ? Can I watch it tomorrow and be appalled like everyone else ?
One of my friends who has weird movie tastes has been telling me for years that the movie was really good... so I'm sure I'll hate it (he's never seen the series...)
I sometimes like shitty adaptations as a guilty pleasure when I know what to expect, so I'm curious.

Yeah, the movie covers just the first season (compressed into an excruciating ninety minutes). You're safe to watch it.

WillyFive

Not only is this movie god awful, it's one of the worst examples of white washing ever.

No kidding, it's top to bottom racist casting.

In the show the main characters were all Inuit and Asian, and they were replaced by the whitest kids you could find.

And the bad guys, who were very light skinned, were all cast as dark skinned actors.

And they didn't even bother of casting the extras to match, they still cast the Waterbenders as Inuit despite the main cast still being white.

Dio

Banned
No kidding, it's top to bottom racist casting.

In the show the main characters were all Inuit and Asian, and they were replaced by the whitest kids you could find.

And the bad guys, who were very light skinned, were all cast as dark skinned actors.

And they didn't even bother of casting the extras to match, they still cast the Waterbenders as Inuit despite the main cast still being white.

I know M. Night took great offense to this accusation and mentioned how 'it's one of the most culturally diverse films ever made' when someone brought that up to him in an interview.

Let me see, I think it's in the YMS video:

https://youtu.be/GDhcizYmqT0?t=427

Ah here it is.

The creators always say "no comment" whenever asked about the movie for a reason. As to the comments on pronunciations, I have no earthly idea how the butchery made it through to the end cut, though I imagine shlamalamadingdong threw his weight around quite a bit. He defends his decisions on this movie fairly vigorously, so in his mind, nothing is flawed.

Rest

I am fairly sure the exact opposite of that happen where the final episode was made into a movie..or am I misunderstanding something?
If that's so I've never heard of it or seen it. Do you know what it would be called?

Cheerilee

If that's so I've never heard of it or seen it. Do you know what it would be called?

I think he means, the last four episodes of AtLA were titled "Sozen's Comet Part 1" to "Sozen's Comet Part 4", and when it first aired on Nickelodeon they presented it as a two hour back-to-back-to-back-to back major movie event.

And that "movie" (personally written by Mike and Bryan to make sure they got it right) didn't seem to know what kind of story it wanted to tell, so it ended with lionturtles and deus ex machina (but that was the plan all along, hinted at years prior, in ways that barely qualify as hints).

Your view was that if only the last episode had an extra two or three episodes, they might've been able to make a great ending out of it. Both views (or three if we count the showrunners) are valid.

Rest

I think he means, the last four episodes of AtLA were titled "Sozen's Comet Part 1" to "Sozen's Comet Part 4", and when it first aired on Nickelodeon they presented it as a two hour back-to-back-to-back-to back major movie event.

And that "movie" (personally written by Mike and Bryan to make sure they got it right) didn't seem to know what kind of story it wanted to tell, so it ended with lionturtles and deus ex machina (but that was the plan all along, hinted at years prior, in ways that barely qualify as hints).

Your view was that if only the last episode had an extra two or three episodes, they might've been able to make a great ending out of it. Both views (or three if we count the showrunners) are valid.
They never built up the fire lord into a real character or conveyed his personal power, so by the time the end of the show came around he was little more than Phoenix King MacGuffin. I'm never satisfied when the lead villain is just some dude you see sometimes and it's just vaguely explained that he is bad, and we never get to see it. If you cut together most of the scenes that Ozai is in, you'd understand that he wants to take over the world and that he's a jerk, but you might not find him evil.

As for the lionturtle, that's the definition of a MacGuffin. That character just comes out of nowhere to save the day. There should have been more to both.

The three episode before the last one were fine, but they didn't make up for what hadn't been done over the course of the series, which they could have and should have done. As they were, they were just more episodes.

I don't understand why they shot Yue from this angle, as if the entire audience wasn't immediately going to see a penis. In 3D.

QB35Hqo.jpg

Just one among a legion of questionable choices made when producing this film.

WizardSquid

Neo Member
As for the lionturtle, that's the definition of a MacGuffin. That character just comes out of nowhere to save the day. There should have been more to both.

I think you mean it's a definition of a Deus Ex Machina, MacGuffin is something used to move the plot along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom