• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is it worth getting a Switch Pro Controller?

13ruce

Banned
Yes best controller ever tbh. It just misses a headphone jack that's literally the only downside imo.

Thing is so goddamn comfy to hold and play with for long sessions.

Yes, it's an amazing controller. It has a good weight to it, the buttons are satisfying to press, it has the HD rumble and a great battery life. It is essential for competitive gaming with the sticks and buttons being superior in form and placement to the joy cons.

Edit: also has a good dpad

Not if you want a good d-pad, unfortunately.

THIS.

The d-pad is utter shit and Nintendo hasn't acknowledged it. It is extremely innacurate. You'll press left or right and it will register as up very frequently. This makes it impossible to enjoy games that need precision, such as Puyo Puyo Tetris or Shovel Knight. Multiple people have reported on here and on Reddit that sending their controller to Nintendo and getting a replacement changes nothing. It's not a defect—it's in the design that Nintendo has used for the controller. There needs to be a revision.

I haven't tried the pro controller, but I do think split joy con are awesome for Splatoon. You use the right joy con like a pointer for motion aiming, and it works really well. I did have to lower the sensitivity though.

d1ddy

I honestly thought I wouldn't give a shit about the controller and the one that came with the console was decent enough to work but after buying the expensive thing I haven't touched the joycons since and probably wont ever unless I'm in handheld mode. I highly recommend everyone to grab at least one pro controller if your budget can handle it

Hugstable

Banned
THIS.

The d-pad is utter shit and Nintendo hasn't acknowledged it. It is extremely innacurate. You'll press left or right and it will register as up very frequently. This makes it impossible to enjoy games that need precision, such as Puyo Puyo Tetris or Shovel Knight. Multiple people have reported on here and on Reddit that sending their controller to Nintendo and getting a replacement changes nothing. It's not a defect—it's in the design that Nintendo has used for the controller. There needs to be a revision.

I've had one of the bad ones and I got a good one now. I just think some of those first batches were faulty, but it seems fine from what I've seen now. Wish we had more impressions on those with Splat 2 controller dpads.

It's definitely worth buying one. It is the most confortable controller i ever owned. The battery life is also outstanding.

THIS.

Again, speak for yourself. Mine is fine.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
No, get the hori controller. Cheaper and the dpad is leagues above the shit they tried to pass off on the pro controller.

I'd basically call it a necessity.

Also, the Splatoon controller is a very limited release, from what I've seen.

Respectfully, I almost can't believe either of these questions are out of sincere curiosity (assuming the speaker has followed the Switch to any degree). In the sense that reactions have been so pronounced and so consistent since launch (and availability so limited), the responses are basically a given.
Does the dpad still suck?

I much prefer the Pro to the two joycons, even with the little adapter thing to make them into a single controller. The only downside of the Pro is that it can't split into 2 independent mini controllers.

The D-Pad is bad. I'd buy one anyway. Great MP controller (I prefer split Cons but its easy to pass the Pro to a friend for MK) and solid af for 3D games like Zelda.

If you want something for 2D games or PPT, grab the Pokken controller. (It'll work as a cheap spare MP controller for stuff like MK since its dpad functions as a digital analog stick)

Want something without a trash d-pad, get the Hori.

Its great as a PC controller fwiw

I wasn't sold on it, and then I held it.

It's the real deal for sure.

The sticks are the best, smoothest, most buttery perfect analog sticks I have ever used. The buttons feel solid and they're just the right size. I love it.

If Nintendo made a new GameCube controller with the Pro Controller sticks and button feel, but with the GCN layout, it would be the ultimate controller. No reason to ever make anything else.

Indelible

Definitely worth it, one of the most comfortable controllers I have ever used and I couldn't imagine playing Breath of the Wild or Splatoon 2 without it.

Spent a few nights, maybe almost a week using the Joycons in the grip and detached. I begrudgingly forked out the almost $100 canadian for a Pro after giving up on the idea of using joycons as my main controller. Joycons were just too small and awkward for me to use full time, especially in long sessions.

t hicks

Banned
I'm definitely glad I got one, the Joycon Grip is just way too uncomfortable for me to use as a main controller
Pro controller might be the nicest feeling controller I've used

Cartho

It might be my favourite controller ever. It's so, so comfortable. I don't use it for Splatoon 2 (split joycon master race) but I do for everything else when playing on the TV. It's an absolute joy to use and a must for all Switch owners in my opinion.

Even if you're going to travel a lot - get one and use it in tabletop mode with the pro controller.

ozfunghi

It's a good comfy controller, but i wouldn't have paid 75 bucks for it. It came with my used Switch. Especially since imo, they should have made the WiiU pro controller compatible with the Switch (or the other way around) and i already have one of those.

Personally, i didn't mind the Joycon+grip setup, other than my left Joycon has the syncing issue. If i didn't get the pro controller in the deal, i wouldn't have bought it, and just would have sent in my Joycon for repair (still might).

kc44135

Yeah, I've been wondering about the PRO controller too, OP. I heard it has a bad D-pad and lacklustre HD rumble compared to the Joycons, though. Any truth to that, guys? Any other issues with it, or any games it's incompatible with, maybe?

Cartho

I actually bought a second Pro Controller the other day (got the Splatoon 2 one) as my mates and I adore Fifa and they prefer the pro controller to joycons in grip as it's more like the Xbox One and PS4 controllers. Feel like I've got the best of both worlds now - I can do 4 player Mario Kart using joycons and pro controllers and for 2 player local we can each have a pro controller.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah, I've been wondering about the PRO controller too, OP. I heard it has a bad D-pad and lacklustre HD rumble compared to the Joycons, though. Any truth to that, guys? Any other issues with it, or any games it's incompatible with, maybe?

It's 100% compatible. I hear a lot of complaints about the D-Pad, but this is NeoGAF and things are blown out of proportion.

That said, I'm skeptical about it until I hold one in my hands. I have no complaints with the joycons in a grip, but I've never tried the Pro either.

KHlover

Banned
It's an extremely comfortable controller, but after getting a PS4 and using the headphone jack on the controller...I wish it had a headphone jack. If Nintendo ever releases a revision I'd instantly double dip.

PeterGAF

Banned
It is seriously one of the most ergonomic controllers I've ever held. I love the Xbox Elite controller just because of the metal sticks, extra paddles, and high quality materials/feel but in every other respect the Switch pro controller is better and maybe the all time great controller. If only it had analog triggers... then it wouldn't even be a competition.

If you find the joycons uncomfortable then sure. I haven't had any issues with them so my pro controller is just collecting dust. Might get a bluetooth dongle so I can use it with my PC.

Mesoian

Question, I know the joycons are, but do the procontrollers work out of the box as bluetooth controllers for the PC? I'd love to replace my wiiu pro controller with this and that would take a lot of the sting out of the price tag.

oakenhild

I like it quite a bit, but it's annoying that a controller this expensive didn't include a headphone jack. I also have issues pulling the switch out of sleep mode with it at times.

Ludist210

Absolutely. Not only is it great for Splatoon 2, but it's great for every single Switch game. Mario Kart, Zelda, Shovel Knight, Puyo Puyo Tetris, ARMS, Shantae...all of 'em.

Cartho

Seriously? Damn lucky! I can't find it anywhere here.

It's actually pretty readily available in the UK - I was surprised. My local game had loads of them in stock. Massively more available than new sets of Joycons, which are stupidly hard to find on the high street. Nothing in Sainsbury's, Tesco or my local CEX and GAME had one set of the Splatoon 2 ones in stock but no grey or Neon red / blue ones and hasn't had for months.

TikeMyson

2 weeks ago I would have said no. But playing Splatoon 2 with a pro controller is a complete gamechanger. Also the splatoon pro controller looks damn nice.

Bastables

I'm not sure, I got a Splatoon2 pro controller, it's lovely especially in Splatoon, but I tend to prefer playing Zelda and Cavestory with detached joycons, having your arms in any comfortable configuration engenders a more relaxing play than both hands over my centreline.

I'm thinking of trying Splatoon with just detached joycons tonight see how we go.

AzaK

If you can afford it yes. The right joycon stick placement is shit. Getting a pro controller is like getting a brand new console.

Top Bottom