• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is SPLATOON really going to lock 45 single-player missions behind amiibo?

As much as I'm hyped for Splatoon, I still can't understand why there'll be amiibo for it, like, it's not even justified.

giphy.gif

Swass

It's both funny and sad how Nintendo went from being the best with dlc to one of the worst.
Besides Mario Kart, that is.

Couldn't agree more and I feel like the Mario Kart DLC is a red herring. I think Nintendo has gone so far down the microtransactions, DLC, toys, and cards rabbit hole that there is no turning back. It really is no wonder they have decided to go mobile as it fits their new business model perfectly.

Evilmaus

As much as I'm hyped for Splatoon, I still can't understand why there'll be amiibo for it, like, it's not even justified.

Splatoon could easily be Nintendo's next big thing. It's one of my most eagerly anticipated games this year. Why not go ahead and produce additional content and merchandise for it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Should be easy to have them just add it as DLC you can buy for later on. Each "pack" would be the equivalent of an amiibo and be price at the same amount, maybe even a deal since they don't have to make a figure for you.
It would be cool if you got the DLC as a bonus for buying the figure but it would be available to everyone for a small fee instead of making it exclusive to Amiibo owners.

I'm sure there will be regular dlc and it will be reasonably priced, but ammiibos have really fucked them up.
Even if they aren't original levels, they are still locking a challenge mode behind 45$ of figurines that'll sell out.
Codename STEAM is probably the best example of this grossness.

Mario Party 10 is a better example

Lol I never knew the amiibos unlocked content that isn't accessible in any other way... Why the hell are they making them so hard to get if they are needed to get all the content in a game?

Also since when is it okay to support on-disc dlc again? I hardly see any outcry about this around the web unlike when Capcom were caught red handed, (which was everywhere). All because of the figurine? Really?

Stoze

Because fanboys gon fanboy.

$13 for some costumes and bonus levels doesn't sound like a very good deal to me :x

It's $13 for an decent quality Nintendo figurine, plus bonus features in every game that has amiibo implementation (at least I think that's how it works).

I'm not a fan of having content locked even if it's just repitive missions and custom stuff, but the base price of an amiibo is not bad if you plan on using it in multiple games.

Penguin

I think the whole amiibo/DLC thing will always come down to your mentality on the figures.

For me, it's figures of characters I like that add something to games I own.
Splatoon is an interesting case since it's a new IP with new figures.

If this was like Mario and Link unlocking costumes would be different.

At the same time, from what they showed, the challenges basically seem to be beat this stage using a different weapon. Which is easy enough content to put on the disc, I would understand why annoying need to unlock it with a figure, but not vital enough... if Nintendo had system-wide achievements would be a bigger deal, me thinks.

Inkling amiibos should unlock Inkling (Girl), Inkling (Boy) and Inkling (Squid) as trophies in smash bros. Would be a neat little nod. Also the Captain Toad amiibo should unlock a Captain Toad trophy.

NotLiquid

Inkling amiibos should unlock Inkling (Girl), Inkling (Boy) and Inkling (Squid) as trophies in smash bros. Would be a neat little nod. Also the Captain Toad amiibo should unlock a Captain Toad trophy.

It's pretty interesting how Splatoon is the first franchise with no connotations to Mario that is getting an Amiibo line. They're definitely pushing this title.

Wouldn't surprise me if we're just straight up getting DLC of them, ballots or not, and that the Amiibo will be perfectly ready to function with it.

PSqueak

Banned

Toad Amiibo is not for Captain Toad, it's for Mario Party, it's not even in the captain toad outfit.

xaszatm

Banned
I think the whole amiibo/DLC thing will always come down to your mentality on the figures.

At the same time, from what they showed, the challenges basically seem to be beat this stage using a different weapon. Which is easy enough content to put on the disc, I would understand why annoying need to unlock it with a figure, but not vital enough... if Nintendo had system-wide achievements would be a bigger deal, me thinks.

Yeah, either you see it as a neat little figurine that you can unlock harmless little stuff in Nintendo games or as a marked up DLC for a uesless add-on. Though really, 3 costumes for $12.99? That's seems like the standard TF2 price for costumes. And we get 5 (admittedly copied) levels as well. This doesn't seem like the shady DLC thing to me honestly, though maybe its because I'm used to useless cosmetics costing way more than they should in other non-Nintendo games.

Swass

Well you are looking at them from the angle of someone who likes Amiibos, but what about the people who hate figurines or any kind of useless clutter laying around their house and just want the full game experience?

I mean if Nintendo is going to do the on disk DLC then I like what was suggested earlier in the thread that if you buy the Amiibos then you get the DLC free and if not then it should be unlocked by a microtransaction.

sfried

Honestly, we have no idea at this point. The recent EDGE mag made it sound like you could, somehow, actually find the thing in the game.
There was mention of the clothes being considered to be very rare drops, so I'm guessing it is also possible for the player to happen upon the Ammibo clothes by chance and get them.

Sandfox

Well you are looking at them from the angle of someone who likes Amiibos, but what about the people who hate figurines or any kind of useless clutter laying around their house and just want the full game experience?

I mean if Nintendo is going to do the on disk DLC then I like what was suggested earlier in the thread that if you buy the Amiibos then you get the DLC free and if not then it should be unlocked by a microtransaction.

That doesn't really seem like a book business move to me. That would be like Skylanders letting you play characters without buying the figures.

Crocodile

More complaining is spent on their false scarcity (shipping strikes are bullshit lies) than anything else. Gameplay use is tertiary compared to the rest.

Ok buddy

Then just don't buy Amiibos? It's a bit like complaining that this pizza you bought wasn't a hamburger even though it was clear that you were buying a pizza. In the vast majority of cases (IMO of course) Amiibos don't unlock content that's really worth caring about. These are figures that give you slight bonus across games. If you don't care about figures, save your energy and stress and just don't buy Amiibos.

Put on that thinking cap and it will hit you in less than a second.

I'll give you a hint:

THEIR SYSTEMS ARE FLOUNDERING AND THEY FOUND A WAY TO MAKE SHITLOADS OF MONEY TANGENTIALLY.

(plus, the cast of Splatoon look ideal to made into actual toys)

Crocodile

Amibos would be perfect if they were limited to amiibo centric games and not plastered everywhere. Figurine lovers would get their own amiibo games and Nintendo fans wouldnt have to see it in all their favorite games locking content away.

You mean like Skylanders? I remember a lot of people were scared of something like that in the beginning and were very much against it. I wonder if opinions have changed at all since then :p

Swass

That doesn't really seem like a book business move to me. That would be like Skylanders letting you play characters without buying the figures.

With Skylanders you know that is the premise of the game, Nintendo seems to be crowbarring these things into everything, completely different in my opinion.

Really don't get why people shit all over DLC, but when Nintendo does it under the guise of figurines, it's cool.

Do people actually have this attitude anymore? I think its neat in games like SSBB and mk8, but as soon as it makes into non crossover games, its annoying for me.

Sandfox

So on disc DLC is now good as long as its locked behind a toy. Alright cool, that's a new take.

Activision and Disney have been doing it for a while now without complaints so I wouldn't say its some new mentality.

With Skylanders you know that is the premise of the game, Nintendo seems to be crowbarring these things into everything, completely different in my opinion.

The point behind both is to get people to buy the figures and offering the content as DLC could potentially hurt figure sales so I would say its the same.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
also "I love pointless [...] but it's ok when Nintendo does it" sounds wrong.
First thing I noticed when I saw it. The guy who wrote that must have been really upset 'cause he couldn't even write a cohesive statement.

system11

It's a worrying trend, though, that Nintendo may continue to treat the bulk of their amiibo as unlocks for content.

That's their whole point. Been saying this since they first appeared, it's physical DLC keys.

Nobody wanted to hear it though.

sfried

I don't get the complaints about Amiibos being considered on-disk DLC.

I don't think it's even possible for regular DLC from another user to get "borrowed" to unlock stuff in your game.

Honestly, just borrow/take someone elses Amiibo if you're that desperate for the content.

mcmmaster

This is exactly what a lot of people seem to be missing. At their core, Amiibo are figures and in my eyes what i'm paying for at the end of the day is the figure. If I see an Amiibo that looks detailed and is based on a character design that I personally love, then i'm going to get it. Whatever comes after through unlocking content in games is an added free bonus to me. There are way too many people judging Amiibo as if you're getting nothing out of it other than the in-game content, it boggles my mind that they're just ignoring the figurine aspect completely.

As for the Splatoon content, it's already been said that the 45 missions are just recycled single player missions that you take on with a different weapon, doesn't make or break the game and all you get is some cosmetic in-game items.

Sou Da

The amiibo is the only way to get the schoolgirl outfit? They know you guys too well.

I could you see you calling it innovative on disk DLC, but it's still on disk DLC.

Neiteio

I don't think it's even possible for regular DLC from another user to get "borrowed" to unlock stuff in your game.

Honestly, just borrow/take someone elses Amiibo.
That's assuming you have friends who were able to obtain these figures that are next to impossible to find. At least with normal DLC, there's an unlimited supply.

RAWi

I don't get it .-.

Without an amiibo you can play the whole game, as it should be.

With an amiibo you can have an extra that really doesn't change the whole game. You get some extra missions, that are just the same missions in the game but with rules (cant get hit, etc), and some outfits (which other companies already manage as DLC and stuff).

Not defending here really, because the outfits I think that they should be unlockables in the game. But, really .-. they are not game changer (if they are, tell me. I read in a post in this thread that they can change stats, but wan't sure). You can go without those outfits, and extra missions (which you can still do on your own, giving yourself rules).

Now, Mario Party 10, there it is badly used. Those classic boards should've been in the game without the use of amiibos.

But in this case, I don't see why so much hate D:

jariw

It's both funny and sad how Nintendo went from being the best with dlc to one of the worst.
Besides Mario Kart, that is.

Unlocking costumes in MK8 with amiibos is good.
Unlooking costumes in Splatoon with amiibos is bad.

Sorcerer

Isn't Nintendo making cards? I don't really see this as an issue if so.

How much do you want to bet that the cards will randomly packed so you have no idea what you are buying?

Maybe you will get the card you want after buying 10 packs.

I know this is unlikely but Nintendo does not like to make things easy for their fans.

Kouriozan

It's going to be like Mario Party 10 for me.
If I can't get all the Amiibos, I'll never get all the game's content so I'd rather skip it completely.
I'm a completionist, so sometime it does more evil than good.

Only missing costumes I would be OK with it, my fear is to miss gameplay content.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How much do you want to bet that the cards will randomly packed so you have no idea what you are buying?

Maybe you will get the card you want after buying 10 packs.

I know this is unlikely but Nintendo does not like to make things easy for their fans.
When are these cards supposed to come out, anyway?

PSqueak

Banned
Unlocking costumes in MK8 with amiibos is good.
Unlooking costumes in Splatoon with amiibos is bad.

I don't agree with the guy you're replying to and i like amiibos, i know you're being sarcastic, but compare:

MK8: costumes have been added post launch in game updates, you unlock them with amiibos you bought for ANOTHER game.

Splatoon: Costumes will come in the disc at launch, unlocked with Amiibos made exclusively for Splatoon.

MK8 truly is better with unlocking costumes thru amiibos.

Cindro

Here's the thing I'm unclear on -- before the EDGE article, I was under the impression that each Splatoon amiibo unlocked a different challenge for every stage.

If that's the case... does that mean there are only 15 campaign levels? That seems really underdeveloped, given the bite-sized length of the early stages they've already shown off.

I'm really worried the single player mode is going to be a half-cooked afterthought.

pantsmith

So it's like, how do you give players a bonus for owning the amiibo without making them feel like they are missing out on something important when they dont have the amiibo?

From a completionist standpoint, sure, I get how the OCD part of my brain would be really upset not being able to fill out those extra missions and items in my collection.

But then the part of me who owns an amiibo is like "Hey, here is this neat bonus for owning the amiibo, that is in no way essential to the core game but recognizes me as a consumer"

Where is the sweet spot?

sfried

I could you see you calling it innovative on disk DLC, but it's still on disk DLC.

What? I never said anything of the sort!

I was going to mention that even with Smash Bros., I never found myself compelled to get an Amiibo since none of the figures really struck me as being wonderful in their own right. That might change with the Splatoon Amiibo though, but it certainly has less to do with extras and more to do with the fact I like the squid girl...

tl;dr: I don't particularly care about the extras.

Business

I'm slowly hating amiibos. Expensive on disc DLC that are also hard to find.

Same here. As a concept it seemed nice, you get Yoshi's figure and you use that in different games across the board to get different things. It turned out every game will need its special iteration of Yoshi's amiibo so what I'm doing in reality is buying expensive DLC for every single game. The cards will somehow mitigate other bad side effects, like scalpers and storing a silly amount of figures at home, but the expensive DLC bit for every single game remains true.

Neiteio

I don't get it .-.

Without an amiibo you can play the whole game, as it should be.

With an amiibo you can have an extra that really doesn't change the whole game. You get some extra missions, that are just the same missions in the game but with rules (cant get hit, etc), and some outfits (which other companies already manage as DLC and stuff).

Not defending here really, because the outfits I think that they should be unlockables in the game. But, really .-. they are not game changer (if they are, tell me. I read in a post in this thread that they can change stats, but wan't sure). You can go without those outfits, and extra missions (which you can still do on your own, giving yourself rules).

Now, Mario Party 10, there it is badly used. Those classic boards should've been in the game without the use of amiibos.

But in this case, I don't see why so much hate D:
I want the special content.

But I likely won't be able to get it since amiibo are so hard to find.

That's the problem. Tying stuff I want to figures that are nearly impossible to get.

Top Bottom