• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Street Fighter V just a bad game across the board? (Gameplay talk)

sephi22

Inspired by this rant from Chris G. SFV has rightfully been called out since launch on GAF for Capcom's mistakes. No casual hooks, busted servers, survival mode bullshit, rootkit, etc. Those have been discussed to death and by this point it's accepted that SFV's launch was a disaster and the game isn't a good product. However, a common and repeating defense for the game in almost every thread was how 'the gameplay is amazing' or 'its the best playing street fighter, possibly ever'. And my question is - why?

None of the professional players seem to outright love the game. At best people say it's fun, but time and time again I keep hearing how the gameplay feels even worse than season 1 now, or how its more random now. I've heard people say the game doesn't allow for quick reactions due to input lag, making punishing or blocking certain things nigh impossible. I've heard complaints about excessive 50/50s or setplay. I've heard that certain characters like Laura or Balrog are too good, or some like FANG or Nash too bad. I've heard that frame traps are too good, and reversals are too bad.

I played a bit of the game in season 1 but dropped it because of the lack of depth in execution/combos (I'm more of a lab monster than an online warrior). I gave the game a serious go in season 2, picked up another character (Juri) and went from 1500LP to 4000LP, but the fatigue is setting in again.

Tell me GAF, were the 'gameplay is amazing' posters wrong? Is it just the general 'game feel' what's amazing about it? If so, I don't see how it's better than any other SF in that regard. I just don't understand how some can say its the best gameplay in an SF while others like Chris G are going 'This game is AIDS'.

Please enlighten me.
Here's a timestamp if you want to listen to Chris' whole breakdown of the game/characters from the start.

Infiltration recently tore up Season 2. Worth the watch https://youtu.be/CWJmnaHfvaI

Sayah

I like it and think it's pretty fun. I've been playing it a lot more lately with Karin. Though, yes, I wish there was more depth.

Edit: The online has been stellar for me as well. I set the settings to 5 bar connection/PS4 system only and get good matches most of the time. I suppose having Verizon FIOS helps too.

JayEH

No. I and many others like it, others don't. There's always going to be wildly varying opinions for the latest entry in a long running series.

edit: i don't know the context of the clip posted in the OP but that just seems like your typical salt rant. Also it's not like Chris G doesn't play one of the characters that got buffed pretty well this year...

Alucrid

Banned
AIDS are the late symptoms of infection brought on by the human immunodeficiency virus also known as HIV. I can see how Chris G might mistake the gameplay of SFV for AIDS, but ultimately he is mistaken.

Ryce

The gameplay is great. Pro gamers are fickle, stubborn, and reactionary to the point of parody, especially when they're not winning.

sephi22

It's the most fun I've had with a Street Fighter game.

Don't really care what pros think.

This is a good attitude to have. Unfortunately, I'm not having as much fun playing it as I did SFIV, even though I'm winning more than I did in 4

No. I and many others like it, others don't. There's always going to be wildly varying opinions for the latest entry in a long running series.

edit: i don't know the context of the clip posted in the OP but that just seems like your typical salt rant. Also it's not like Chris G doesn't play one of the characters that got buffed pretty well this year...
He isn't salty though. He's playing Guile and he admits he's top 5. He also prefers this game to USF4, yet doesn't think the game is very good.

Mentioned it a few times in FGW, but there's a meme among Japanese players that nicknames the game "Duty Fighter V", as in they are obliged to play it as the flagship title of the fighting game community (whatever that is supposed to mean) rather than playing it because they enjoy it.

hamchan

I think it's pretty fun but then I think the base model of Street Fighter gameplay established in SFII was already so perfect, it's hard to mess it up.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
In short, I like it because the gameplay systems are basic. It feels like it's a game all about character match-ups instead of system quirks, which is an occasional nice change of pace from some other games I play.

Game is overall okay but suffers from Capcom trying to find solutions to problems that they have introduced themselves in the first place in their attempt to make the game (and SFIV before it) more accessible. This has hurt many games to some extent, but Capcom really went in the hardest with that shit.

I think it's a better game than IV, and it does the "introduction to the genre" thing better than IV too, but that's not saying much at the end of the day.

tribal24

Banned
The gameplay is great. Pro gamers are fickle, stubborn, and reactionary to the point of parody, especially when they're not winning.

Agreed, i had no fun playing IV to be honest. V is making up for IV and yes i think third strike is still better then all of them, come at me!

Moaradin

This is a good attitude to have. Unfortunately, I'm not having as much fun playing it as I did SFIV, even though I'm winning more than I did in 4

SF4 had just as much if not more pros shitting on it throughout its life. Ultimately, this shit happens to every new entry in the SF franchise. Especially around the time when a new balance update comes around. So much knee-jerk reactions to buffs/nerfs. Even pros are guilty of that.

Most of the "the gameplay is amazing" talk came from season 1. Most of the "the gameplay is ass" came from season 2. If both statements were objectively true then no, the people who thought the game was great weren't wrong. The game changed.

But the statements aren't objectively true. Some find the game worse, some don't. I personally stopped talking about and playing SFV last summer. If you don't like it just find something else to play.

SnakeEyez

The input lag dropped from 8 to an average of 6.5 frames or so, making it about 2 frames or more than what's "acceptable". As far as season 2 goes, many pros have said very favorable things about how it's more neutral based and less reliant on okis.. Basically what sf is supposed to be. On the other hand some pros have said they don't like season 2. Go figure. I feel like season 2 is much better than season 1 but that's just me. Remember, every iteration of sf has ppl that liked the previous version better and hate this new version, i.e sf3 to sf4, sf4 to sf5 etc.

As a guy who sold IV a couple of months after buying it due to sheer boredom, I really like V, I aint a pro but Im spending hours completing challenges and playing survival.

eggandI

Banned
Don't really care what ChrisG thinks but yeah I think the game is pretty boring. I was hoping season 2 would bring some big changes but it turned out to be tiny adjustments instead. I uninstalled the game as soon as I finished reading those S2 patch notes lol

I'm done with fighting games unless MvCI ends up being great. They've been my main genre since 2006 so it's kind of sad to quit, but I hate too many things about SFV to keep playing.

hertog

Great game, love it a lot more than IV.

But I've got a weird fighting game taste. My two others favorites were street fighter x tekken and injustice: gods among us.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
SF4 had just as much if not more pros shitting on it throughout its life. Ultimately, this shit happens to every new entry in the SF franchise.

There are also at least 10x the number of "09ers" around today as there were Third Strike fans in 2009, so it's a given that this transition would have louder complaints.

Most of the "the gameplay is amazing" talk came from season 1. Most of the "the gameplay is ass" came from season 2. If both statements were objectively true then no, the people who thought the game was great weren't wrong. The game changed.

This is also true.

Tbh I've barely had the desire to play much since season 2 dropped and I don't even hate most of the changes like other people seem to.

kunonabi

It's the best SF game since SFA2 despite its laundry list of issues. I'm not overly fond of the direction they went with season 2 but Capcom being good with balance tweaks rarely happens so it isn't much of a surprise to be honest.

sephi22

No. It's the best Street Fighter I've ever played, and it's just gotten better with S2.
Can you elaborate? This is the statement that I don't get in all those SF defense posts. People just say it but don't really elaborate. Is it just how the game feels to you?

As far as season 2 goes, many pros have said very favorable things about how it's more neutral based and less reliant on okis..
Really? I read the opposite today. How the lack of DPs makes the game less neutral heavy and more rushdown/oki based, with people just jumping without a worry due to lack of heavy punishes.

JayEH

He isn't salty though. He's playing Guile and he admits he's top 5. He also prefers this game to USF4, yet doesn't think the game is very good.

if he thinks this game is AIDS I'd love to know what he thought of IV. Maybe he should quit and just play Marvel. I have no sympathy for people who are forcing themselves to play a game they don't enjoy.

-hadouken

As an old school fan of the franchise, the gameplay feels like spongy mediocrity. IV and V can't compete with classic era Capcom.

sephi22

if he thinks this game is AIDS I'd love to think what he thought of IV. Maybe he should quit and just play Marvel. I have no sympathy for people who are forcing themselves to play a game they don't enjoy.

At this point it's pretty much a job for the pros right? Like if this is the game where all the money is going, they'd have to play it even if they don't like it.

Z..

It's a fun and decent game. It's just a horribly lousy deal compared to KOFXIV, Xrd or Central Fiction.

SnakeEyez

Really? I read the opposite today. How the lack of DPs makes the game less neutral heavy and more rushdown/oki based, with people just jumping without a worry due to lack of heavy punishes.

Grabs generally do not leave u in the same great position for an Oki like in season 1. DPs ain't the only way to AA you know. You can still DP as an AA. It's just that on wake up, if you want to be invincible, you gonna need to use that meter so it's a choice which I love. Learn to block (not speaking to you directly). If you recall, in season 1, some characters like ibuki, guile and balrog only had an invincible reversal if you used meter so now it's fair all across the board.

Edit: jumping in without a worry due to lack of heavy punishes? I guess you haven't jumped on a good urien/akuma.

it's one of the best games this generation.
gameplay is great, versus works like a charm. i could not give a shit about anything else.

Zekes!

I like it, especially compared to 4. It must say something that I paid for the character 2 season pass and I honestly don't play it that much anymore. But when I want to play a fighter its the one I go to.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's a fun and decent game. It's just a horribly lousy deal compared to KOFXIV, Xrd or Central Fiction.

...or Killer Instinct or DOA5 or MKX or friggin' Koihime Enbu or any other game on the market. Player count is all it has going for it.

Siege.exe

I've had more fun playing SFV than any other fighting game I've played barring Melee. Not liking it is one thing, to say that the gameplay is flat out bad is a bit much.

sephi22

Grabs generally do not leave u in the same great position for an Oki like in season 1. DPs ain't the only way to AA you know. You can still DP as an AA. It's just that on wake up, if you want to be invincible, you gonna need to use that meter so it's a choice which I love. Learn to block (not speaking to you directly). If you recall, in season 1, some characters like ibuki, guile and balrog only had an invincible reversal if you used meter so now it's fair all across the board.

Edit: jumping in without a worry due to lack of heavy punishes? I guess you haven't jumped on a good urien/akuma.
My 2 characters don't really struggle online(Juri/Sim) due to grab loop and AA jabs/slide but I'm guessing as I get better my opponents are going to punish me harder for jumping. I barely played season 1 so I don't know if grab oki was different to what Juri or Dhalsim get with theirs.

Chemo

It plays pretty well, I guess, but it's not even remotely as fun as Street Fighter IV so I couldn't give less of a shit about it.

Please note: This may be because I am a Vega player and his new style/moveset in SFV can fucking suck it. I tried to get used to it, I tried playing other characters, I just can't stand it.

So it's basically a good game but it seems to be completely fucking engineered for me not to have a good time playing it.

DR2K

Banned
Season 2 is horrible. No idea who autherized that pile of garbage. It's made almost every character less fun to play

Top Bottom