• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Street Fighter V just a bad game across the board? (Gameplay talk)

My favorite SF so far I love the gameplay, the DLC method and FM method is great too. Im really glad they haven't moved on to something like loot boxes, I can pick and choose what I want for the characters I play. Not having to buy another disk to play with the updated roster is fantastic, I wish other games like Guilty Gear followed this business model.

Renekton

Infiltration recently tore up Season 2. Worth the watch https://youtu.be/CWJmnaHfvaI
I'll add this to the OP since too many posters seem to be focused on Chris G and dismissing the OP because of that.
Infiltration was extremely salty after a bad experience at Capcom Cup (justified due to poor tourney organization), and his Nash was nerfed.

Even for Pros, these are kneejerk reactions to a season that has not begun in earnest.

Moaradin

Season 2 is horrible. No idea who autherized that pile of garbage. It's made almost every character less fun to play

Chun-Li
Bison
Cammy
Necalli
Rashid
Karin
Zangief
Laura
Dhalsim
Guile
Ibuki
Balrog
Juri
Urien

I dunno how any of those could be considered less fun to play. Most of them got new options entirely.

ItsYaBoiPazuzu

Neo Member
I've really really enjoyed it. I bought it day one and (despite the initial launch problems) I've never regretted it for a second. I can't speak for someone who plays it professionally but...I mean it feels as polished and technical as a Street Fighter game should to me.

sephi22

Infiltration was extremely salty after a bad experience at Capcom Cup (justified due to poor tourney organization), and his Nash was nerfed.

Even for Pros, these are kneejerk reactions to a season that has not begun in earnest.

Do you think the game needs a patch before the start of the new season? I've heard from second hand sources that many people in the scene are assuming a new patch is guaranteed given how broken some of these characters are.

Yet, if you don't let the characters breathe in the state they are now, the true extent of their brokenness or lack thereof won't be realized.

Keylow415

Season2 is not as good a season1 to right now. I feel they dropped the ball with the balance patch and online is worse I think right now and I really love the game but I'm not having fun right now and I play nash. I do think the foundation is really good with the game but they need to look at making the game more fun to play with the balance. Right now some characters are not fun to play against online right now ie, Laura, guile, balrog, and urien. I feel there bullshit and never had that problem in season one. I wish the game was more like beta one without light to medium. That was the best version of the game so far.

I don't see a kneejerk reaction on that video. He's explaining why the game isn't great, and it's hard to dismiss his arguments tbh.

There is some strange decisions in S2, and the input lag is still there (even if it was reduced), making it almost impossible to react to certain stuff. It's not an opinion, this is fact. And that's why some people (even top players) don't like the game.

It's not that hard to understand. And when you add all the non-gameplay problems SFV have... I can understand why some players are frustrated.

If you have a good experience with SFV because you don't care about winning that's cool, but you have to understand that some stuff can be frustrating when you are playing for money / winning.

JusDoIt

No. I wish the neutral was stronger in SFV (normals are a little too stubby overall and the input lag makes reactions harder), but that's my only real complaint about the game.

I'm not ready to say SFV is my favorite Street Fighter (Super Turbo, 3rd Strike, and Alpha 2 are still ahead for various reasons), but I have the most fun playing SFV. Free. SFV is one of the most read focused fighting games ever (to a fault, many would say), but that trait coupled with the fact that almost every character can kill you with a couple combos makes it a very high risk, high reward game. A dangerous game. A thrilling game.

No other fighting game is as much of a rollercoaster as SFV is, and that's a main reason why it's so controversial. The "randomness" the pros complain about comes from a game that punishes you for every little mistake and requires you to fuck with your opponent's head.

I play Laura, tho.

Renekton

I don't see a kneejerk reaction on that video. He's explaining why the game isn't great, and it's hard to dismiss his arguments tbh.

There is some strange decisions in S2, and the input lag is still there, making it almost impossible to react to certain stuff. It's not an opinion, this is fact. And that's why some people (even top players) don't like the game.

It's not that hard to understand. And when you add all the non-gameplay problems SFV have... It's frustrating.
It is very definitely kneejerk because the new meta has not been established when other competitive players just started adapting to the S2 changes.

I value his opinion a lot, but let a few tourneys go in and we'll see what he (and everyone else) thinks of competitive S2.

Do you think the game needs a patch before the start of the new season? I've heard from second hand sources that many people in the scene are assuming a new patch is guaranteed given how broken some of these characters are.

Yet, if you don't let the characters breathe in the state they are now, the true extent of their brokenness or lack thereof won't be realized.
Sorry friend, I have no idea

I use Bison and Nash and they feel less fun to play. I don't hate the game but the patch seems like a downgrade, I HATE what they did to shoryukens, and as you can see by my characters, they're used against me mroe than I use them. Hard to say how I'll feel about the future of the season.

Anne

Chris G cries a lot.

That being said, I've mentioned many times before how often I've talked to pros and how I almost never hear praise come out for this game. GAF has also told me many times I'm delusional so whatevs.

DR2K

Banned
Chun-Li
Bison
Cammy
Necalli
Rashid
Karin
Zangief
Laura
Dhalsim
Guile
Ibuki
Balrog
Juri
Urien

I dunno how any of those could be considered less fun to play. Most of them got new options entirely.

You're just listing the (almost) entire roster and equating combo buffs with actual fun changes that make characters fun, easy to use, and unique.

FluxWaveZ

Chris G cries a lot.

That being said, I've mentioned many times before how often I've talked to pros and how I almost never hear praise come out for this game. GAF has also told me many times I'm delusional so whatevs.

So what the pros you've talked to think is what determines whether a game is good gameplay wise?

sephi22

No other fighting game is as much of a rollercoaster as SFV is, and that's a main reason why it's so controversial. The "randomness" the pros complain about comes from a game that punishes you for every little mistake and requires you to fuck with your opponent's head.

I play Laura, tho.

Your general sentiment sounds good on paper, but are you saying when a Balrog is just pressing safe buttons and doing frame traps, he's actually reading something rather than doing what's good or safe? Same with Laura lol. No offence but when I'm losing to a Laura I don't think the player is outthinking me I think he's just doing setups he found on youtube that I have to work really hard to find a way to get around coz she's an op ho :p

Havent played in months, but the first few months the game was technically awful. Horrid lag no matter how good your connection was. Pc community full of lag abusers(maxing out your bandwidth while playing would shift all the lag to your enemy), rage quitters everywhere, very unbalanced characters

Moaradin

You're just listing the (almost) entire roster and equating combo buffs with actual fun changes that make characters fun, easy to use, and unique.

No, I'm comparing them to their season 1 self. It's hard for me to see how they're less fun to play, when they either play pretty identical to their S1 version or got more options. A few characters in the game I can definitely see why they'd be less fun, but MOST of the characters? Not even close.

Anne

So what the pros you've talked to think is what determines whether a game is good gameplay wise?

I tend to weigh their opinions and listen to their points. A lot of stuff I've heard has been repeated several times and is pretty valid, and I tend to agree with it. People can feel free to disagree. Street Fighter is always like that anyways. Every iteration gets shat on because for every good thing Capcom does they have to create something equally bad. SFV feels like the one that's gone over the worst overall, but that's because it's getting hit from all angles.

You think that's not the case in Marvel 3 ? You can lose the ENTIRE MATCH if you make ONE mistake. So explain us why Fchamp and Chris G, who are used to bullshit, are putting SFV on blast ? The problem is that you can't react in SFV, that's why the term "randomness" is used.

Not that I'm great or anything, but it's the only fighting game I've enjoyed enough to even try and apply myself in since Dreamcast. It's one of my favorite games of the year and an indispensable part of my current gen game library... I had to double dip on it digital just to have it on hand. I'm comfortable saying I love it.

I'm sure pros and fighting game savants see problems I don't, and even more casual players are still completely intimidated away, but it's a perfect recipe for me, felt really accessible, amenable, and must be doing something right as far as I'm concerned. I love the way the game plays, looks, sounds and I love being brought out from my comfort zone into online play, to remember a little of what it felt like playing against other people in arcades.

Nocturno999

Chris G complains all the time, but Infiltration is on point. He even mentions how greedy is Capcom with their DLC practices (Charging for Akuma's classic costume).

kobu

I'm just happy that other people are finally starting to admit that it's extremely hard to react to a lot of shit in this game.

Pachinko

Some of the pros are just mad because the game changed just enough in season 2 that they have to throw out 80% of their hardcore practice from season 1. That NYchrisG video linked by OP isn't altogether negative either, he's just pointing out what he feels is the current tier list.

You want to hear a pro bad mouth the game, watch that interview with Infiltration from earlier this week where he basically spends 5 minutes bashing capcom, the pro tour and complains that season 2 is too scrub friendly for making all the best and most abused season 1 tactics less effective. Worth pointing out that his main of choice was the usually ranked as the first or second best character in the game throughout the year and ended up legit getting hit super hard with the nerf bat , to the point that he's considered one of the worst in the game now.

For me - SFV is the most fun I've had with a SF game , it's problems are all things outside of the core fighting engine. I'm not serious enough to care about the minutae of the matchup , I just pick a cool looking character and try to have fun.

Basically I see the pro's complaining about this game moreso because as the story always goes - their main didn't get buffed enough or they did but the matchup they dislike got worse because that character got buffed too. They will adapt and despite what kind of tier list is forming now , it'll change once a real tournament for season 2 happens and it'll change more as the DLC characters for season 2 trickle out.

joe2187

Banned
c1c24cb50621f3ce3a95a549fcd65149.jpg

Mika got nuked in season 2.

Im still getting wins, Im still enjoying the game and playing it more and more.

I think that from a gameplay standpoint, V is leagues better than IV. I don't much care that ChrisG or Infiltration don't seem to like it. I do like it, and at the end of the day, I think that it's my second favorite fighting game behind 3rd Strike.

I don't blame someone for not liking it, different strokes for different folks, and the game certainly still has issues too, but hey, I'm having fun and I really enjoy how the game feels and that's what's more important to me.

Since the dawn of time, pro fighting game players have been trying to convince people on the internet that buffing their main and nerfing the character they just lost to is "the only way to fix the game" "for the community."

petghost

Banned
i think its pretty boring.

was hoping they would really try to change stuff in season 2 but they didnt so whatever ive given up on it.

lots of actual good fgs to play old and new all with reasonable amounts of people to play with.

I consider SF5 to be a good game for fighting game fans who are more inclined to competitive play, or at least those who enjoy learning the mechanics of new fighting games. I don't consider SF5 that good of a game for casual fighting game players who aren't into the competitive aspect, but instead just want to bang it out in single player modes.

For what it's worth, it's the best Street Fighter game that I've ever played in terms of gameplay, but I've never really been a big fan of Street Fighter's gameplay. I really didn't dig SF4's heavy emphasis on one frame links during combos, and SF5 pretty much alleviated that major complaint. That aside, there's still some mechanical stuff in SF5 that I'm not keen on. I don't like how throws don't cause a hard knockdown, and I don't like how invincibility on dragon punch-style reversals was taken away in Season 2. I'm also not keen on how Capcom handled some character buffs and nerfs in Season 2. Everything else I'm okay with, and enjoy.

I bought SF5 and I don't really regret it, especially since I didn't have to spend a lot of money on DLC. I enjoy playing SF5 more than any other SF game I've played, but I'd rather play other fighting games.

boxfresh

Neo Member
sfv is a mixed bag. the package surrounding the actual gameplay is straight amateurish.

however the gameplay is not so bad, it's just not that deep. neutral is boring with stubby normals, anti-airs are bad, zoning is non-existent and combos don't have much path variance. rushdown offense is op, just jump in, combo, meaty, mixup high low, shimmy, throw, dizzy, repeat. its very linear in a sense.

in the end sfv is a good introduction for people to fighting games but it really doesn't hold much lasting appeal for veterans.

Kyne

been talking about this with my friend who is a die hard fan.

we both agree that the game sucks. it had a rocky start and now it's just going downhill.

save us marvel.

Marz

The game completely turned me off the genre. Havent even watched a stream or touched the game in months and i was really into IV.

JusDoIt

You think that's not the case in Marvel 3 ? You can lose the ENTIRE MATCH if you make ONE mistake. So explain us why Fchamp and Chris G, who are used to bullshit, are putting SFV on blast ? The problem is that you can't react in SFV, that's why the term "randomness" is used.

I said off top my main flaw with the game is that it's not as reactable as other Street Fighters. And while you got Marvel gods like F-Champ and Chris G who criticise the game, you got Marvel gods like JWong and Yipes who love it. People be having different opinions.

HeelPower

No.

As someone who sold the game, I still think it was rock solid mechanically with a lot of depth.I just didn't have time/will to put into it.

I went back to playing IV as I just wasn't having any fun with V at all.

The gameplay has a clunky feel to it which I find difficult to quantify, compounded with what seems to be much less variety in the scope of options and combos across the board for each character, it all made it feel like match ups played out the exact same way every time. I got utterly bored of it within a couple of months.

Even though I could never get along with 1-frame links and all of that FADC stuff from 4, I still find it a much more fun game to play. Plus, even today, IV still gives me matches against C rank fighters I can compete with, unlike V which consistently threw my Super Bronze ass against Ultra Gold to Ultra fucking Platinum players ranked up to the 12th in the world due to the matchmaking being a big pile of juicy shit.

I went back to playing IV as I just wasn't having any fun with V at all.

The gameplay has a clunky feel to it which I find difficult to quantify, compounded with what seems to be much less variety in the scope of options and combos across the board for each character, it all made it feel like match ups played out the exact same way every time. I got utterly bored of it within a couple of months.

Even though I could never get along with 1-frame links and all of that FADC stuff from 4, I still find it a much more fun game to play. Plus, even today, IV still gives me matches against C rank fighters I can compete with, unlike V which consistently threw my Super Bronze ass against Ultra Gold to Ultra fucking Platinum players ranked up to the 12th in the world due to the matchmaking being a big pile of juicy shit.

That's not my experience with the game at all.

Gameplay wise, it's my favorite of the whole series so far with 3S being very VERY close behind3. Going season to season changes is understandably frustrating for pro players since they work on a character a whole year before it changes in just the next one but it shouldn't really bother the people who aren't as in depth with all the details. Content/Online wise though.....such a hot mess since the start. It's very verrrrrry slowly getting better still pretty disappointing......also SFV's Season Passes are pretty garbage :\.

RM8

Of course not. Even S2 is better balanced than many popular fighting games, the truth is pros don't necessarily like balance and they actually get super pissed off when their characters get nerfed. Then, because of the nature of the community, people can say unbelievably stupid shit like "this game is AIDS".

steven28

I have no idea if it's bad compared to other street fighters (last one i played was alpha 3) but i bought it the other day and so far i love playing it.The characters look amazing and are animated so well,just stunning to look at.

Gren

Too drunk to read through the thread, but I don't like how it favors offense over defense so heavily in comparison to other entries. I like the game well enough, but that alone prevents it from being amongst my all-time favorite SFs.

I used to like Street Fighter back in the 90's in the arcade. With 4 and now 5 however I've learned the hard way that this series isn't for me anymore.

This was happening to people right after the S2 patch. It's been since fixed with a recent server maintenance.

I can't blame that for my experience, I stopped playing aaaages ago, but it was certainly happening to me between release and Ibuki dropping. I just put it down to a combination of crappy matchmaking and an overall lack of bronze level players. Regardless, I would still find IV more fun to play even without the matchmaking issues. All of the characters I enjoy playing in IV, like Chun Li and Guile just feel repetitive and dull AF to play as in V.

wrongway

As a newbie, I like the gameplay. Not really skilled/experienced enough to critique the season 2 balance changes or the game's structure in general, but I think it's a good time. When it works, at least. The online functionality is still so wonky, I feel like I'm gambling with my time whenever I sit down to play. :(

Spman2099

Holy shit, we got another thread shitting on SFV this week. It is amazing. You can't escape it. I'm not even mad; this is legit getting funny.

No, SFV isn't a bad game. However, if you are looking for hate you can find it. The same could be said for all the games in the series. Hilariously, Third Strike was one of the most hated when it released. It was always awesome, but it was frequently crapped on. This is just the way of the Street Fighter game...

RM8

Holy shit, we got another thread shitting on SFV this week. It is amazing. You can't escape it. I'm not even mad; this is legit getting funny.

No, SFV isn't a bad game. However, if you are looking for hate you can find it. The same could be said for all the games in the series. Hilariously, Third Strike was one of the most hated when it released. It was always awesome, but it was frequently crapped on. This is just the way of the Street Fighter game...
Third Strike is pretty freaking unbalanced. But again, the pros don't really care about that.

Top Bottom