• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Long, My PlayStation 2! The Official Thread of Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

ay5ZK.png

Oh man, dat OVA series. I know I shouldn't have enjoyed it, but Subaru gets his/her own episode (and is one of the few non-useless characters), Diana gets her own half episode, and the other party members are basically just background outside of Gemini a bit. Couldn't have planned it better myself.

Also the full version of Shining Constellation is absurdly good.

I am sending Laura Bailey after all of you.
Will she be riding on horseback?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, I've been a Sakura Wars fan to varying degrees over the years; The OVA off the original game was one of my first DVDs, I have whichever series was based off the Paris adventures, I almost purchased the Saturn release even though I have no ability to read Japanese... yet it took me all this time to finally get V, which is something I've really regretted constantly...

But the recent PS2 sale at gamestop helped me find my way to a copy! So I dug up my PS2 for the first time in a few years to finally give the game a go...

... AHHH, I miss gaming like this. Look, a Japanese game full of girls that isn't constant boob jokes, embarrassing camera angles, or excuses for constant sexual exploitation! That in itself is refreshing.

NIS's script seems to have a great "90s anime" feel to it, in that it's not trying too hard to be edgy or shocking, but every once in a while, it gets into a mood that one knows couldn't exist properly in the original Japanese (such as with all these accents and certain plays on words). It's got a lot of life to it, and it feels pretty nice, overall.

I actually really like how direct little Mr. Taiga can be. It might just be around my own choices, but he doesn't dance around issues, and when you DO something... he jumps in fully, as his samurai spirit demands! He's not some weak protag that exist only to make the women seem stronger, and he's not overly forceful and trying to hard. He seems to just be a well-rounded guy with as much heart as he's being played up to have.

I hear people don't like this cast of ladies as much as the previous Sakura Taisen series, but other than just being a bit too nostalgic, I don't see much reason not to like them. These girls seem like decent somewhat-westernized versions of the classic personalities presented by Sakura, Sumire, and Co, and I can appreciate the moments of culture-clash that come from all their interactions.

Ratchet has been a real pleasure to hang around, showing a layered maturity that I rarely feel like is presented in games. Gemini and Mr. Sunnyside feel like goofy people I'd enjoy hanging out with at a con. I feel like similar characters are generally set up to be self-depreciating individuals that make excuses for not being normal members of society, but here, they both seem overly comfortable and happy with who they are, which I like.

I really enjoyed Cheiron / Sagiitta's arc in Chapter 2, as I don't think I've ever experienced anything that makes me live out memories of my brief knowledge of Phoenix Wright crossed with
Gang Leader
Cheiron reminding me a lot of Michiko in Michiko no Hatchin. Looking at Harlem from an eastern perspective is totally weird, but I can appreciate it quite a lot.

I enjoy the excitement and drama that has been infused into the battle system. Great action direction for something that's controlled as gameplay, and the movement pool and relationship systems work in a great way to remove the need for things like shops, buying health items, needing to upgrade items, etc. It really has embraced a "The whole world's a stage!" philosophy into ever nuance of it's game design.

The music is all great, too, which is kind of expect for Sega / Red (I still hum Thousand Arms tunes, sooo...). It all sounds pleasantly Sakura Wars-ish for me, even while using all these unusual instruments and styles.

I love heard the fact it's a shorter game with loads of dialogue choices and meaningful options; that sounds much more appealing than a bloated epic that wears out it's welcome by reiterating the same things for longer than needed. One of the last big games I played on PS2 before shifting to Xbox 360 full-time was Persona 3 FES... and it started to wear on me how long it was taking to get anywhere. Every time I felt like I had reached a satisfying conclusion, it layers something else onto the tale, when I would have been more than satisfied with what it had presented hours back...

... so if this game turns out to be less like that, I'm all the happier for it.

I'm just glad to FINALLY be playing a Sakura Wars game, and amidst all those sale games on more relevant systems over the holidays, and new-gen titles calling out for my attention... I'm really drawn to wanting to finally dive into and beat this adventure!

Videoneon

SAB CA, you're a saint.

Incidentally, I also watched the both of the Paris OVA's, and I was a latecomer to Sakura Wars V. It's lots of fun. I don't enjoy Taiga as much as what indirect exposure I've had to Ohgami, as Taiga comes as slightly more aggressive than Ohgami. While they're quite similar, Taiga comes off as so headstrong and so...literal, that he's just a little less fun than his uncle. I don't have problem with him or anything though.

I scored highest with Gemini in the end. I like how they handled her, with her
joining late and her dual personality. I don't think Geminine was all that compelling and the resolution was lame, but in the end Gemini is just a profoundly interesting character on the whole.
Subaru and Diana warred for second place, but I think Diana ended up second.

I've posted in other topics here about how I thought the music for this game was amazing. It's a convincing attempt at the vibe it was going for.

Where are the other games, Sega? =)

--

I'd also like to direct any fans or curious gamers to the Sakura Wars Localization Project (Facebook / Twitter, a campaign for localization of the first four games, and the Great War of Cherry Blossoms, a long play of the first Sakura Wars game with subs by Sega/gaming enthusiast Kori-Maru.

That reminds me, I still have a sealed premium copy of the PS2 version. Random side note, since we're vaguely on the subject: Sakura Taisen 1+2 for PSP are available from the Japanese PSN store for 500 yen for the next day or less (January 8 is the last day of the sale, apparently). I don't think there are any fan translation patches for either game, just FAQs/scripts, but if you feel like playing through the first two games...

Top Bottom