• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Long, My PlayStation 2! The Official Thread of Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

Ricker

Vinnk said:
So is Nintendo pretending this title doesn't exist (or did NIS not deem it worth the time to tell Nintendo?). As I do with all titles I love, I went to the "Nintendo Channel" to recommend the game (as you can do with any game you play for at least an hour (or is it 2?). The game doesn't show up as a game I can recommend. I went to the "new releases" section and it wasn't even listed.

This is really sad because while the game never set the charts on fire I have a feeling that those who bought it would mostly rate it high. It's a shame so many people are going to miss out on this game never knowing that it even came out.

Yeah,or by listening to some podcasts,like Player One,who completly missed the point of the game and spitted on it for like 15 minutes...i`ll try and rate it today,see if it`s fixed.

Kevtones

Despite the sexy-time rep of every girl I'm really enjoying it due to the exceptional pacing and nicely structured dialogue.

Good stuff so far.

Durante

I'm in the middle of chapter 7 right now, and like always when I get closer to the end in a game I really like my progress slowed to a crawl.

A few more pcsx2 screenshots:

gsdx_20100501184856np9d.jpg

And a 1920x1200 BG I made from 2 screenshots:

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Amazing screenshots, Durante. It just goes to show how solid the game's graphical foundation really is, that it look that amazingly sharp when upscaled! :D

Still slowly working on my second playthrough. Won with Gemini the first time, going to go for Saggitta/Cherion next.

Ricker

So yeah,I stand corrected,Sakura Wars is 480i and 4:3...I had it stretched and didn`t really notice a huge difference with the 4:3 with black bars on the side on a widescreen,plus I hate those bars so I might leave it slightly stretched...died the first time in the Harlem part,not sure if you are suppose to move into area`s,take down those electric things first or what in there so i died...i`ll try moving to other area`s next time...why? i`m not sure hehe,I changed area but I still got the lightning coming down on my guys...

RurouniZel

Ricker said:
So yeah,I stand corrected,Sakura Wars is 480i and 4:3...I had it stretched and didn`t really notice a huge difference with the 4:3 with black bars on the side on a widescreen,plus I hate those bars so I might leave it slightly stretched...died the first time in the Harlem part,not sure if you are suppose to move into area`s,take down those electric things first or what in there so i died...i`ll try moving to other area`s next time...why? i`m not sure hehe,I changed area but I still got the lightning coming down on my guys...

When you see the sky darken over a certain area (there's always a small cut to show where the sky has darkened), the lightning is going to strike there soon. Get out of that area ASAP.

Durante said:
I'm in the middle of chapter 7 right now, and like always when I get closer to the end in a game I really like my progress slowed to a crawl.

A few more pcsx2 screenshots:
sexy

What I wanna know is why isn't the PS3 capable of outputting this!?

Durante

I love Gemini's STARS' idle animation.

sakura1ahe2.gif

radiantdreamer said:
What I wanna know is why isn't the PS3 capable of outputting this!?
Well, those particular screenshots are rendered at 3840x2688, and there are many reasons PS3 can't do that ;). In any case, Sony (apparently) couldn't even get non-enhanced software emulation to run to their satisfaction on PS3, never mind enhancing the games! Of course, after many years of work by a large number of contributors -- and running on significantly faster systems -- PCSX2 is still not perfect, so I think it's understandable.

Krelian

Are there other people still playing this game? I was finally able to start the game (PS2 version) today. Had it shrink-wrapped since release date, lol. Anyway, I'm really enjoying it. I wish I could've experienced the other games of the series too.

Just read that the Japanese and English versions are treated as different games. Too bad, I don't think I have time for several play-throughs :(

Krelian said:
Are there other people still playing this game? I was finally able to start the game (PS2 version) today. Had it shrink-wrapped since release date, lol. Anyway, I'm really enjoying it. I wish I could've experienced the other games of the series too.

Just read that the Japanese and English versions are treated as different games. Too bad, I don't think I have time for several play-throughs :(

Mine's still shrink-wrapped too... I'll get to it, eventually... it's the next game on my list to play.

I also don't have time for multiple playthroughs, so I'm just going to play in Japanese.

RurouniZel

Krelian said:

I'm still playing the game, I'm just so busy and there's lots of others games out too so I'm juggling a lot. XD Still working on my 2nd playthrough. :)

RurouniZel

Well, Gamespot is EXTREMELY late to the party... but better late than never, right?

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/sakurawarssolongmylove/review.html

Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love is a strategy role-playing game that cleverly mimics Japanese animation, presenting a highly original and hilarious adventure. The game unfolds like an interactive anime, implementing wild situations and comical characters. Genuinely amusing dialogue highlights the game's events, but combat and minigames take a back seat to the text, producing an overall passive tone that somewhat limits its appeal. Still, Sakura Wars is probably the closest you can get to starring in your own anime, and this novelty makes the game a rare delight.

tiff

Banned
Krelian said:
i've only got the final chapter to do. the problem is finding the time to do it.

i love the game, but i hear the last chapter is combat heavy which is definitely my least favorite part of the game.

The minigames (I assume the LIPS system) were the only thing making the cliched plot/characters bearable.. that and the game was only 20 hours long.

"Balancing maneuvering with attacking therefore requires some skill, but it also slows the pace. Heal spells and special attacks push you to play cautiously because they share the same energy bar, which is far from infinite."

The reviewer lacks skill so they claim the game is slow paced because they can't figure out how to play efficiently enough to not sit around turtling and relying on heals and/or wasting their AP on moving around a lot. They'd have the same complaints about a game like Front Mission 4 and claim the game 'makes them' sit in a corner using repairs instead of playing more efficiently. I never noticed any slowdown or bugs during combat.

Comeon now Ms. reviewer. You can't claim a game is easy/tedious and in the same breath admit you can't manage to play efficiently enough to go on offense instead of long turtle matches that cause you to complain that the game is 'slow paced'.

Nekobo

I watched the Sakura Wars NY anime OVA a while ago...man, terrible.

Still waiting for the Double Jump guide, which is supposed to be done by this month.

Aedile

RurouniZel said:
Well, Gamespot is EXTREMELY late to the party... but better late than never, right?

I'm actually glad they held off a bit on their review. It might snag the attention of anyone who missed the game in the first go-round, when the release schedule was considerably more crowded. And their "you star in your own 90s-style bishoujo mecha anime" approach is a pretty accurate way of characterizing the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've gotten used to the STV theme finally. To the point where it's now my cameratron ringtone.

That said, Tokyo theme song >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Paris theme song > NY theme song.

XiaNaphryz

Also, it looks like the Rosenqueen art book combo is back in stock. Is the art book worth it? Seriously contemplating double dipping and snagging the Wii version since I already have the PS2...

XiaNaphryz said:
Also, it looks like the Rosenqueen art book combo is back in stock. Is the art book worth it? Seriously contemplating double dipping and snagging the Wii version since I already have the PS2...

If you don't already have the game, then yes, the little extra is worth it for the artbook. It's much bigger than the one that was included with the limited edition, and is hardcover.

XiaNaphryz

radiantdreamer said:
If you don't already have the game, then yes, the little extra is worth it for the artbook. It's much bigger than the one that was included with the limited edition, and is hardcover.
Errr, I said I already own the game. I'm asking if it's worth getting another copy just for the artbook.

RurouniZel

XiaNaphryz said:
Errr, I said I already own the game. I'm asking if it's worth getting another copy just for the artbook.

If you already have the game, I'd say probably not. It's nice, but not $50.00 nice.

XiaNaphryz

RurouniZel said:
If you already have the game, I'd say probably not. It's nice, but not $50.00 nice.
So it's only worth it if I can resell the game unopened full price...I think I can manage that.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I gave up on this game until a good step-by-step guide is out! The one that is out helped my past the chapter 1 boss but when I got to the chapter 2 one it was not working out for me and I lost like 10 times in a row before turning it off lol

RurouniZel

Lindsay said:
I gave up on this game until a good step-by-step guide is out! The one that is out helped my past the chapter 1 boss but when I got to the chapter 2 one it was not working out for me and I lost like 10 times in a row before turning it off lol

Ah, the subway tunnel boss? Take out various parts of the tail/arms while slowly moving forward until you're far enough forward to land on the train itself. I typically sent Shinjiro on the train once I've done enough damage and have him land the final blows.

So I finally broke the shrink-wrap on this game.

I think I only have time to go through 1 playthrough. Can anyone pass me their New Game+ save data if they run this on PS3? I'm looking for the Japanese voice version.

RurouniZel

radiantdreamer said:
Sweet! Thanks very much! :D And thanks for PMming me too in case I missed it (which I did).

Downloaded. :D ooooh Ratchet... :)

BTW, does anyone know where I can find the passwords? The one on gamefaqs seems to be for the Japanese version (only the ringtone code worked for me)

I think the official US website has them.

mjc said:
Super bump!

I have the option to get this for Wii or PS2. Which one should I get?

If you want the option of Japanese voices, pick the PS2 version.
If the voices aren't important, and want to spend less money, choose the Wii version, but only if you have a classic controller.

Tailzo

I bought it for wii, since I live in Europe. But if I could, I would've bought it for ps2 to have it upscaled and with japanese voices. Also, I don't have a classic controller, so some of the controls were kinda bad.

RurouniZel said:

So I finally completed this game. Absolutely amazing!

I noticed that if you hit R2 during conversations, it will skip dialogue that you've already played before, while dialogue you haven't seen remains unskippable.

Interestingly, by doing this, I knew exactly what choices you did or didn't make! It was kinda interesting knowing what choices you made. ^_^;
A lot of times I'm like HA! I got the ++ relationship! I bet you didn't! :p

I've uploaded a new save that has save points at every chapter, max trust levels with everyone, very high trust levels among the girls, and almost everything unlocked.

I've played through and hooked up with Ratchet, Gemini, and Subaru. I gave up on Rika after Chapter 7, and decided I'm done with the game.

http://radiantdreamer.net/temp/sakurawarsv.rar

I couldn't Shinjiro's Super Nova unlocked because the girls' trust levels weren't high enough among each other. I have Shinjiro and Ratchet's Coupling unlocked, but couldn't unlock anyone else's.

Overall, I loved the game and each girls' different personalities and different decisions required to win them over.

Like Subaru for example. At the start, she prides dignity over anything else, and totally looks down on you. Nothing you do pleases her, so it's often best to just remain quiet. And when you get caught up with her in situations, it always seems best to be as moderate as possible. She seems to value precision and discretion.

I liked Rika a lot too. She's totally a moe character, and looks upon Shinjiro as a big brother.

Ratchet was probably the most interesting, since any dealings with her were on a much more mature level than the other girls. She seemed to value Shinjiro's integrity and leadership. She's pretty hard-ass about following the rules, and likes it when a guy does the same. Basically being a gentleman gets Ratchet.

I'm surprised at how much dialogue there is in the game, and how much of it changes drastically in future conversations too depending on the choices you make.

I was also able to get high trust with Anri and Plum too. Anri's totally Tsundere, so at the beginning, you pretty much have to treat her like a big brother and reprimand her for her mistakes, and never take advantage of her or flirt with her. It's only during the later part of the game when she starts acting a little funny around you that you can return your affection.
While you can't actually hook up with Anri or Plum, it seems that a high trust level earns you a special bromide of them at the end of the game.

While the game's combat system was totally uninspiring, it was fun, and the dating sim aspect was totally awesome. I've never really played a dating sim before, so I have to say that I'm impressed with the amount of interaction. More games like this should be released here!

... and this is the weakest Sakura Wars of the series?!

RurouniZel

Necro-bump I know, but I updated the OP to add a few more reviews. ^^

radiantdreamer said:
Overall, I loved the game and each girls' different personalities and different decisions required to win them over.

Like Subaru for example. At the start, she prides dignity over anything else, and totally looks down on you. Nothing you do pleases her, so it's often best to just remain quiet. And when you get caught up with her in situations, it always seems best to be as moderate as possible. She seems to value precision and discretion.

I liked Rika a lot too. She's totally a moe character, and looks upon Shinjiro as a big brother.

Ratchet was probably the most interesting, since any dealings with her were on a much more mature level than the other girls. She seemed to value Shinjiro's integrity and leadership. She's pretty hard-ass about following the rules, and likes it when a guy does the same. Basically being a gentleman gets Ratchet.

I'm surprised at how much dialogue there is in the game, and how much of it changes drastically in future conversations too depending on the choices you make.

I was also able to get high trust with Anri and Plum too. Anri's totally Tsundere, so at the beginning, you pretty much have to treat her like a big brother and reprimand her for her mistakes, and never take advantage of her or flirt with her. It's only during the later part of the game when she starts acting a little funny around you that you can return your affection.
While you can't actually hook up with Anri or Plum, it seems that a high trust level earns you a special bromide of them at the end of the game.

The characters have always been one of the major things that makes this series so special. They just have an incredibly chemistry that makes them believable, not just individually, but as an ensemble. Sadly I think the characters in this one got a bum rap compared to the Tokyo and Paris groups, as this set is pretty awesome in its own right! ^_^

radiantdreamer said:
... and this is the weakest Sakura Wars of the series?!

Really, that would be the 4th game, as that was wholly rushed to be completed in 1 year so it would make the deadline to be the last Sega published Dreamcast game in Japan (it has like, 3 chapters total! 14 endings though...).

a1m

Banned
Bump!

Now that I have a PS3 that runs NTSC-PS2 games I finally remembered to buy this game. I've been eyeing this since the US release.

I got the Special Edition with japanese voices and for what I played it's awesome. I've only done about 3 hours but I can already say I'm going to enjoy the story. The use of colours is refreshing and I really enjoy the characters so far.

I just have to put my mind into this and devote some heavy time on this.

Ramune

Great!!! I think your going to love it! Just a shame dispite being on two consoles, it didn't do well enough for some of the other games to get translated. :(

Rarutos

Apologies for bumping a really old topic, but I figured it'd be nice to show my absolute love for this game regardless!

It was definitely my GotY when it came out last year, and I still love it to this day! I need to go back and get Gemini, Sagiita, and Rika's endings sometime for sure. Heck, because of this game, I ended up spending lots of money on a PS2 that can play the first game's remake, Sakura Wars 3, and some other odd games, including Sakura Wars V Episode 0... Obviously, I bought those games too! Even got someone to help me get Sakura Wars 4 despite it being on a system I don't own, and played through Sakura Wars 1 in the PSP port of 1 & 2 before I got the remake...

Aah, how I love this series... Have a lot of merchandise for it now too. I was so obsessed!

Carnby

I found brand new shrink wrapped Ps2 copy at Game Stop for $19.99. It has all of the bonus items. I'm pretty happy about this find.

Finally found it on Wii for a fair price (about 20€), and as soon as I began a new game, I heard it...
Bleeding_ears_by_htfcuddles-300x300.png

...the English dub, whereas I was expecting a Japanese one (it's after the fact that I found only american PS2 version had the Japanese dub...).
Ah well, guess I'll play without the voices on.

Apart from that it's the first Sakura Taisen game I played, and it's quite refreshing, this mix between visual novel and strategic battle. I like the battle system, it's fun to play.

I ordered the Wii version of the game on Amazon.co.uk, second hand and "Like New" for £17. Came in the post today, I open up the package and wowzers - it's brand new and sealed!

Bargain.

I might hate this game, but at least I can sell it for a small profit if I do. I've been somewhat interested in the game for aeons, but I finally took the plunge after happening across a video on youtube of Brad from 4PlayerPodcast chatting up a character called Cherry Cocker. That vid sold me immediately.

Damn, and to think I nearly didn't pick this up. Finished it a few hours ago and enjoyed it a lot.

- Dub was generally very good, outside of those VAs who were faking accents that they should never be allowed to fake again.
- This is how all 'levelling up' should be done in S/RPGs. Or with Ar Tonelico's dive system. Pick one.
- Cast was hit and miss. Party members were fairly decent, though there was only one girl (?) I really liked. Villains were awful. I know that they were supposed to be very monster of the week, but it still doesn't excuse it.
- Combat was enjoyable, with some interesting battle setups.
- Picking a partner actually felt like it meant something, i.e. in affecting more than just your ending. I say that even though I still have no idea what gender my waifu was.

If we ever got any more games in this series over here, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

androvsky

Damn, and to think I nearly didn't pick this up. Finished it a few hours ago and enjoyed it a lot.

- Dub was generally very good, outside of those VAs who were faking accents that they should never be allowed to fake again.
- This is how all 'levelling up' should be done in S/RPGs. Or with Ar Tonelico's dive system. Pick one.
- Cast was hit and miss. Party members were fairly decent, though there was only one girl (?) I really liked. Villains were awful. I know that they were supposed to be very monster of the week, but it still doesn't excuse it.
- Combat was enjoyable, with some interesting battle setups.
- Picking a partner actually felt like it meant something, i.e. in affecting more than just your ending. I say that even though I still have no idea what gender my waifu was.

If we ever got any more games in this series over here, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

I agree, this and Ar Tonelico are pretty much my favorite RPG series ever (I played Sakura Wars 1 and 3 first though). Unfortunately, I'll be surprised if we get any more Sakura Wars games (before anyone starts blaming fans, this release really had the deck stacked against it in so many ways). I guess there's an English fan translation of the first game in the works, but I haven't heard anything from the people working on it since it was announced in March.

Top Bottom