• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Long, My PlayStation 2! The Official Thread of Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

kiryogi said:
In the end I can't play this anymore. As awesome as the dub is. It's Sakura Taisen 5. And worst off, I'm up to Diana's chapter now. Fucking shoot me. D:

Seriously. I have never wanted top choke a bitch more. Suburu's chapter is afterward and is much better.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
whoah whoah whoah whoah whoah!
This is a Japanese Dating Sim/ Strategy RPG revolving around giant robot battles in a steampunk-infused 1920's New York?
That sounds like the most perfect thing ever!
Why the hell did I not hear about this before? Retails new for 29.99 US? I am buying this today, the sheer level of awesome will not allow me to wait.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The_Technomancer said:
This is a Japanese Dating Sim/ Strategy RPG revolving around giant robot battles in a steampunk-infused 1920's New York?
Why the hell did I not hear about this before? Retails new for 29.99 US? I am buying this today, the sheer level of awesome will not allow me to wait.
Why are you still here!? GO OUT AND BUY IT NOW!

Vinnk

FINALLY got it. Came in the mail yesterday. Only an hour into it but so far I am really liking it. The dub is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be and most of it is actually quite good. I am really liking the music in this game as well.

I have played the first 4 games in the series on Saturn and Dreamcast but I never got around to playing ST5 so this is all new for me.

A question to the big Sakura Taisen fans here, should I stop playing ST5 right now and play Sakura Taisen V Episode 0: Kouya no Samurai Musume first? I never played that one either. Is it worth playing? Are there any big story connections?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Vinnk said:
FINALLY got it. Came in the mail yesterday. Only an hour into it but so far I am really liking it. The dub is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be and most of it is actually quite good. I am really liking the music in this game as well.

I have played the first 4 games in the series on Saturn and Dreamcast but I never got around to playing ST5 so this is all new for me.

A question to the big Sakura Taisen fans here, should I stop playing ST5 right now and play Sakura Taisen V Episode 0: Kouya no Samurai Musume first? I never played that one either. Is it worth playing? Are there any big story connections?

I'd recommend against it. It's not that good, and there aren't all that many connections (honestly I don't remember any). It's just Gemini's trip to NY.

androvsky

RurouniZel said:
I'd recommend against it. It's not that good, and there aren't all that many connections (honestly I don't remember any). It's just Gemini's trip to NY.

And by "not that good" he means "most reviled disaster to ever bear the Sakura Taisen name". I think. :D Never actually played it myself, but I've seen more than one person afraid to touch the series because of Episode 0.

Vinnk

androvsky said:
And by "not that good" he means "most reviled disaster to ever bear the Sakura Taisen name". I think. :D Never actually played it myself, but I've seen more than one person afraid to touch the series because of Episode 0.

Wow that bad? Ok. I Didn't want to break the shrink wrap anyway (better as a collectors item than a game).

Overall I am pleased with the job NISA did on this. I wonder what sales would have to be for NISA to consider them "good". I would kill for ST1 or ST3 to make the jump over.

Can't wait to get back to the game. Well worth the $30.

The_Technomancer said:

Forget about the SRPG aspect. It's a small fraction of the games content and it's very easy and simple.

Nekobo

Finished this last night. Took me about 23 hours. Fun game! So very lively. Love all the corny anime flourishes. Definitely a character driven game. The main story itself is fairly generic. The combat portions were definitely lacking in challenge. I only had problems in the last aerial battle. Still, it's refreshing not needing to grind. I wound up with Gemini, but I'll probably reload an older save to see if I can hook up with Cheiron.

In case anyone is wondering, I played it on a 20 gig PS3 with an HDTV without any issues.

Probably the worst part about playing the game is knowing that I'll probably never get to play the other (superior?) games in English. I'd love to play more games in this style, even on a PSP or DS.

kiryogi

Banned
Nekobo said:
Probably the worst part about playing the game is knowing that I'll probably never get to play the other (superior?) games in English. I'd love to play more games in this style, even on a PSP or DS.

Far superior.

Vinnk

Played another 2 hours last night. Couldn't put it down. It may not the best game in the series, but it is so nice to be able to play it in my native language without using a dictionary and simply guessing on some of the times responses. So in that respect it makes it one of my more enjoyable ST playing experiences.

I really hope more people pick this game up. But it seems NIS sold out of the PS2 edition. Will there be another shipment or is it indeed a true "limited" edition?

Aedile

Nekobo said:

NIS just wouldn't bring one of these over, would they? Unless sales were underwhelming.

RurouniZel

Aedile said:
NIS just wouldn't bring one of these over, would they? Unless sales were underwhelming.

Probably the only feasable ones would be the PSP port of 1 and 2 (which better have a DD version, because the UMD load times are reeeeeally bad), or the DS spinoff which plays more like a Mystery Dungeon (think Shiren) than a Sakura Wars game.

I'm really hoping this sells well enough to warrant another translation.

Ricker

kiryogi said:
Far superior.

Wow,I mean I love this one and it`s the weakest??? ...I whish they would do the others also then but I doubt this one will sell enough to make them do it,sadly :(

Volcynika

So Idea Factory didn't do a bad job on the Wii port? Considering picking this up in the near future and that's the version I'd go for (unless someone can say whether the PS2 one will work on the MGS4 80GB PS3 model that only has partial BC).

Ricker

Volcynika said:
So Idea Factory didn't do a bad job on the Wii port? Considering picking this up in the near future and that's the version I'd go for (unless someone can say whether the PS2 one will work on the MGS4 80GB PS3 model that only has partial BC).

I see no problems with the Wii port at all,it supports widescreen 480p,sounds and looks great,the only problem I have,and it`s a small nitpick,even though it supports wide,I have a 1 inch blackbar on each side of the screen...otherwise,well done.

RurouniZel said:
Probably the only feasable ones would be the PSP port of 1 and 2 (which better have a DD version, because the UMD load times are reeeeeally bad), or the DS spinoff which plays more like a Mystery Dungeon (think Shiren) than a Sakura Wars game.

I'm really hoping this sells well enough to warrant another translation.

Does the PSP have a large enough install base to warrant a port of 1&2? Wouldn't it be better to just straight up offer the PS2 version? I mean, the only people who would be interested in buying this game would be PS2 and Wii owners - most likely the ones that played and enjoyed STV. I don't see how doing the PSP version would be better.

I would be perfectly ok with no dubbing too, if that would save on costs.

botticus

Nekobo said:
Finished this last night. Took me about 23 hours.
So wait... if I'm (assumably) just about done with Chapter 4 after 6 hours or so, they're going to stretch the last 4 chapters into 15 hours? I... don't think I can do that.

Vinnk

radiantdreamer said:
Does the PSP have a large enough install base to warrant a port of 1&2? Wouldn't it be better to just straight up offer the PS2 version? I mean, the only people who would be interested in buying this game would be PS2 and Wii owners - most likely the ones that played and enjoyed STV. I don't see how doing the PSP version would be better.

I would be perfectly ok with no dubbing too, if that would save on costs.

Well there already is a PSP port. All they would need to do is localize it. But I agree, PSP games sell horrible in the states.

As for the Wii port of SW5, I was shocked too, but idea factory did a steller job.

RurouniZel

botticus said:
So wait... if I'm (assumably) just about done with Chapter 4 after 6 hours or so, they're going to stretch the last 4 chapters into 15 hours? I... don't think I can do that.

The last chapter is longer and more battle heavy. Chapter 7 is a bit longer than the others as well.

botticus

As long as there's more battle to go along with any longer adventure modes, that's probably okay. I'm pretty good with the current ratio that's something like an hour of adventure : a half hour of battle.

My biggest problem with battle so far (taking on the boss of Chapter 4) is getting away from the "kill everything" frame of mind since there's no exp and just achieving whatever the objective might be as quickly as possible.

Nekobo

Yeah, Chapter 7 is a doozy and Chapter 8 is a constant stream of battles.

botticus said:
My biggest problem with battle so far (taking on the boss of Chapter 4) is getting away from the "kill everything" frame of mind since there's no exp and just achieving whatever the objective might be as quickly as possible.

I actually appreciated that. Made me think of Valkyria Chronicles, where you receive better marks for completing the missions as quickly as possible.

Vinnk

Nekobo said:
I actually appreciated that. Made me think of Valkyria Chronicles, where you receive better marks for completing the missions as quickly as possible.

Well if memory serves, it's the same developer (same SEGA team). Or am I confusing it with another game?

Vinnk

Well PS2 is pretty much done. Wii is unproven for this type of game. PSP software sells badly. What could we hope for for other ST games in English?

I am hoping the 3DS has specs similar to the PS2 or PSP so they could be easily ported to that platform. Actually I would love for Idea factory to keep porting the PS2 games to the Wii but I am not sure if the sales justify it.

I think I'll buy a few more copies of the game for friends...

Nekobo

Vinnk said:
Well PS2 is pretty much done. Wii is unproven for this type of game. PSP software sells badly. What could we hope for for other ST games in English?

I am hoping the 3DS has specs similar to the PS2 or PSP so they could be easily ported to that platform. Actually I would love for Idea factory to keep porting the PS2 games to the Wii but I am not sure if the sales justify it.

I think I'll buy a few more copies of the game for friends...

Maybe something on PSN or XBLA? Probably wouldn't sell enough to justify the cost there, though. Still would love to see visual novels on those services, but I'm not holding my breath.

My friend and I are going to write an article about the game for this Asian arts and entertainment zine we contribute to, so hopefully that'll help spread the good word.

Rebochan

Finally booted this up again and yea, remember how earlier I said the translation on the Japanese disc was degrading over time?

I'm on Chapter 7, just watched them randomly make up new words for phrases in English, and just got to a rather lengthy play scene where they didn't even bother to subtitle it, so I'm just sitting here waiting for it to end.

Worst part is because of the "separate discs" format, I can't just switch to the dub and get it in English.

I'm glad they did this game, and for the most part it's fine, but the typos are going up the further I go in and the more the "dubtitle" aspect becomes more apparent.

Also, noticed that the bromides switch back and forth between using the "dub" names and the "Japanese" names.

By the way, does anyone have a script for the Over The Rainbow (Sunshine) bit? I'm not sure it was meaningful, but I sadly don't want to start over and reset all my progress on a dub disc just to watch one scene :p

Rebochan said:
By the way, does anyone have a script for the Over The Rainbow (Sunshine) bit? I'm not sure it was meaningful, but I sadly don't want to start over and reset all my progress on a dub disc just to watch one scene :p

You mean the song? It's weird, but I guess most don't expect the songs to be translated... but... hmmm it sounds quite nice... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVwFWCALJNU

Google yields no results to translated lyrics. :(

Rebochan

It's just odd because everything else has been subtitled, so the absence of subtitles just gobsmacked me.

The segment was actually a play in the game.

Speaking of getting smacked, holy crap, I didn't know the range of the one-hit KO attack on that chapter's boss...that did not end well. I'll have another go at BunnyBoyGirl later.

Wedge7

Nice, just picked up the game today from EBgames on PS2. Was the last copy, so I was pretty happy about that. Dont really have time to try out the game just yet, as I have University finals, and am pretty hardcore into Starcraft beta, but I'm glad that I was able to pick it up. Hopefully find some time to give it a quick playthrough over the weekend perhaps. Just moreso the peace of mind knowing I was able to grab it, did my normal ritual of reading through the instruction manual front to back that I've always done ever since I was a kid.

RurouniZel

Wedge7 said:
Nice, just picked up the game today from EBgames on PS2. Was the last copy, so I was pretty happy about that. Dont really have time to try out the game just yet, as I have University finals, and am pretty hardcore into Starcraft beta, but I'm glad that I was able to pick it up. Hopefully find some time to give it a quick playthrough over the weekend perhaps. Just moreso the peace of mind knowing I was able to grab it, did my normal ritual of reading through the instruction manual front to back that I've always done ever since I was a kid.

Glad you found a copy! :D

Rebochan

Wow, nice find! You got it for a steal :)

Out of curiosity, how many people are playing the PS2 version on PS3s? It's been fine for me for the most part, but it seems to have trouble blacking out for a few seconds on scene transitions. I really didn't want to drag my retired PS2 out of the closet again.

Nekobo

Rebochan said:

Out of curiosity, how many people are playing the PS2 version on PS3s? It's been fine for me for the most part, but it seems to have trouble blacking out for a few seconds on scene transitions. I really didn't want to drag my retired PS2 out of the closet again.

I beat it on a 20 gig PS3. Yeah, it blanked out for me. The game apparently switches audio-video modes when it transitions from the save menu to the game and vice versa. It only lasted a few seconds on my HDTV, so it didn't bug me.

vazel

Banned
Rebochan said:

I get stuttering on FMVs on my 80GB PS3. I put off playing it until I can play it on pcsx2 or dig out my ps2 out of my closet.

Arghhhhh.

This or Fragile. so confused on which to get first. il be getting both eventually buuuut it wont be for atleast 3 months. I dont mind either genre, guess it comes down to which is the better and longer game.

RurouniZel

ShutDown202 said:
Arghhhhh.

This or Fragile. so confused on which to get first. il be getting both eventually buuuut it wont be for atleast 3 months. I dont mind either genre, guess it comes down to which is the better and longer game.

General consensus is that Sakura Wars is longer, Fragile is more atmospheric.

Of course, I'm biased toward Sakura Wars so I'm sure you can guess which one I like better. :D

Vinnk

ShutDown202 said:
Arghhhhh.

Review wise, SW is usually considered the better game. It is also longer and cheaper. HOWEVER, I really liked Fragile as well so eventually get both, but i would go for Sakura first.

Nekobo

ShutDown202 said:
Arghhhhh.

I'd say Sakura Wars is the better game of the two gameplay wise. Fragile has some downright frustrating gameplay mechanics.

But if you want something more moody and atmospheric and can't stand over the top anime flourishes, go with Fragile. Cant' say you'll actually have fun playing it, though...

ShutDown202 said:
Arghhhhh.

Get both, because you might not be able to get the other when you finish one of them. Maybe.

Vinnk

So is Nintendo pretending this title doesn't exist (or did NIS not deem it worth the time to tell Nintendo?). As I do with all titles I love, I went to the "Nintendo Channel" to recommend the game (as you can do with any game you play for at least an hour (or is it 2?). The game doesn't show up as a game I can recommend. I went to the "new releases" section and it wasn't even listed.

This is really sad because while the game never set the charts on fire I have a feeling that those who bought it would mostly rate it high. It's a shame so many people are going to miss out on this game never knowing that it even came out.

vazel

Banned
It was always going to be a small game in the west not because people didn't hear about it but because this type of game just doesn't have mass appeal here so I wouldn't worry about not being able to proselytize it.

I've been salivating over these games since I first heard about it in the Dreamcast days so I'm happy I finally got to play one.

Looks like NIS printed more PS2 copies for those freaked out by them going out of stock. Kind of disappointing I was hoping my copy would become valuable. I also see Atlus reprinted the Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne games. :(

Ricker said:
I see no problems with the Wii port at all,it supports widescreen 480p,sounds and looks great,the only problem I have,and it`s a small nitpick,even though it supports wide,I have a 1 inch blackbar on each side of the screen...otherwise,well done.

Widescreen? Really? My game stretches and I don't know why. Unless there is an in-game option I'm un-aware of, I have my Wii settings correct, so I don't know what's up. Oh well.

RurouniZel

Vinnk said:
So is Nintendo pretending this title doesn't exist (or did NIS not deem it worth the time to tell Nintendo?). As I do with all titles I love, I went to the "Nintendo Channel" to recommend the game (as you can do with any game you play for at least an hour (or is it 2?). The game doesn't show up as a game I can recommend. I went to the "new releases" section and it wasn't even listed.

This is really sad because while the game never set the charts on fire I have a feeling that those who bought it would mostly rate it high. It's a shame so many people are going to miss out on this game never knowing that it even came out.

Huh, that's weird. I'll go to Nintendo's website and leave feedback about that. >.>

Ricker

Spirit Icana said:
Widescreen? Really? My game stretches and I don't know why. Unless there is an in-game option I'm un-aware of, I have my Wii settings correct, so I don't know what's up. Oh well.

I`ll have to check on that...I know in the ovearll Wii options,I have it set to 16:9 and my Wii is hooked up via component cables,in game it doesn`t look stretched to me,maybe it is a little and I said 480p but maybe not,I`ll check next time I play,on my Sony I think I can hit display on the remote and it will tell me the resolution(mine does 480i,p,720p and 1080i).

Top Bottom