• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Long, My PlayStation 2! The Official Thread of Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

JKTrix

Finished the first chapter, playing the JP disc on PS3. It is indeed 4:3 only, but it still looks quite good. The only graphical yuckiness seems to appear when they pan up or down a still image and you can see the interlacing on it.

Game sure started out pretty harsh on my Taiga, using lines like 'you're as useful as a toilet'.

I was kind of hoping the 'Unforgettable Memories' book would have more Fujishima-drawn art.

VegaShinra

Which version is everyone finding to be the best? Everything is identical on the two expect performance I assume and the PS2 has the Japanese audio disc.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well it looks like RosenQueen forgot to charge me for my game? Well I got it, and I'll start playing once I get my financial situation more organized and calculate everything.

Koren

I'm still having "preordered" as a status at Rosenqueen T_T Should I try to contact them? Or do I wait a little?

RurouniZel said:
It's called the Original Sound Controller, maybe you'll find it on eBay some day. I posted my photos above. ^^
I'd add that I really like it for this kind of PS2 2D games, too... Comfortable, good D-pad, etc. I wouldn't play everything with it, but for ST, it's a great choice. The headphones are a bit cheap, though (even if I presently use them on my PC because my usual sennheiser broke)

kiryogi said:
Your collection will never compare to mine. Actually, I'm confident I have the most extensive ST collection on NeoGAF :D
We should check, I think I'm a contender in volume... :D
(my only gripe is that I don't have anything really valuable, I would have loved to get something from the devs)

- All DC games including online & columns (mostly limited editions)
- All PS2 games including Monogatari, Pachinko, Ep. 0 (limited editions also when availables)
- DS game
- DC Sakura pad (and sound controller also), I intended to buy the Sakura DC, but still haven't done it yet
- Kits for all Koubus from ST1, ST3 and ST5 (19 kits ?), I just have to buy two Multiplex for Soretta and Reni and I'm done
- Around 15 artbooks, including the Chronicle box (with the Koubu Crystal Cube I love and Paris and Teito fac-simile maps)
- Big Coquelicot neko plushie, Erika Fontaine cushion
- Cells from the OAVs
- Around 12 (import) CDs and both complete song boxes
- Most DVDs (US or European ones)
- A large set of the TCG (I don't exactly know how much cards I'm missing, I haven't tried to find a list)
- A part of the manga in VO
- Plently of memorabilia from the Romando (pens, pin's, artworks, music boxes, business card holders). I even went to the official restaurant for my 29th birthday since I was alone in Tokyo at that time...

I'm definitively pretty crazy about this series...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
This is so entertaining! The timed commands really add a sense of excitement to some of the tasks your doing, although the translation not matching some of what is said sometimes is bothering me a little. (Japanese Voice Disk) I'm having a blast with this so far, and I'm going to get right back to playing~! It's a shame that I had some problems on Friday or I'd buy the DC box collection of the first four games. My Japanese isn't too great, but I bet it'd help the learning process and pick up some new Kanji/vocabulary along the way.

Koren

InfiniteNine said:
My Japanese isn't too great, but I bet it'd help the learning process and pick up some new Kanji/vocabulary along the way.
Indeed. And there's useful translation files on Gamefaqs that cover a decent part (not all answers) of the game.

I want mine T_T

hmm ebgames in Canada isn't getting it in until later this week.. the local indie store near me got in one copy of the Wii and PS2 version each.. someone bought the Wii version already so I picked up the PS2. Going to give it a spin today.. looking forward to the combat system precursor to VC.

kiryogi

Banned
Koren said:
I'm still having "preordered" as a status at Rosenqueen T_T Should I try to contact them? Or do I wait a little?

I'd add that I really like it for this kind of PS2 2D games, too... Comfortable, good D-pad, etc. I wouldn't play everything with it, but for ST, it's a great choice. The headphones are a bit cheap, though (even if I presently use them on my PC because my usual sennheiser broke)

We should check, I think I'm a contender in volume... :D
(my only gripe is that I don't have anything really valuable, I would have loved to get something from the devs)

- All DC games including online & columns (mostly limited editions)
- All PS2 games including Monogatari, Pachinko, Ep. 0 (limited editions also when availables)
- DS game
- DC Sakura pad (and sound controller also), I intended to buy the Sakura DC, but still haven't done it yet
- Kits for all Koubus from ST1, ST3 and ST5 (19 kits ?), I just have to buy two Multiplex for Soretta and Reni and I'm done
- Around 15 artbooks, including the Chronicle box (with the Koubu Crystal Cube I love and Paris and Teito fac-simile maps)
- Big Coquelicot neko plushie, Erika Fontaine cushion
- Cells from the OAVs
- Around 12 (import) CDs and both complete song boxes
- Most DVDs (US or European ones)
- A large set of the TCG (I don't exactly know how much cards I'm missing, I haven't tried to find a list)
- A part of the manga in VO
- Plently of memorabilia from the Romando (pens, pin's, artworks, music boxes, business card holders). I even went to the official restaurant for my 29th birthday since I was alone in Tokyo at that time...

I'm definitively pretty crazy about this series...

2nd place for me! lol.

List:
- Dreamcast - ST1 and 2 memorial editions, ST3 Limited edition b (w/ kinematron VMU), ST4 LE, ST Online Paris LE, Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2
- PS2 - STV EP0 LE, ST Atsuki LE, ST V LE, Monogatari and STV memory cards.
- DS - ST Dramatic Dungeon LE
- GBC: ST 1 and 2 GBC LE
- PC - Sakura Taisen 1 and 3 Desktop Accessories
- Musical DVDs - Kajin Bessou 2nd pressing, Sumire Retirement 1st pressing, Shin Saiyuki 1st pressing, Shin Hakkenden 1st pressing, Benitokage.
- Anime DVDs - All US ones except Ecole de Paris. JP - Ecole de Paris and Le Nouveau Paris limited editons + box, original official english VCDs for the 2nd Sakura Taisen OVA.
- Figures: Sumire 1/10 Max Factory (My favorite girl of the Teito gang), 1/8 Gemini Sunrise Max Factory), every H-GIF gashapon series except the Atsuki trading figures. Sega prize Erica and Sakura ST4 edition. Iris/Sumire/Sakura/Kohran Real Action figures w/ CDs, Hanabi's Koubu F Kit (Originally my favorite of the Paris crew), Pinky Street of Sakura
- Plushes - UFOs of Erica, Hanabi, Sumire
- CDs - ST3 vocal collection, Ai no Mihata single, STV vocal collection, STV op single
- Artbooks - Chronicle box, all 5 data/designs, ST TV
- Manga - First few volumes of the JP release. (Forget where I lost track or if it stopped printing)
- Romando and etc - Hanabi pen, Lobelia Mug. Never been there myself, so I'm jealous of you there. A friend got the former for me. Several posters.

Koren

I don't know who's first, but I'm happy to see people as insane as I am :lol

kiryogi said:
- Romando and etc - Hanabi pen, Lobelia Mug. Never been there myself, so I'm jealous of you there.
Yes, I can understand... When I was asked to go there for work, it was one of the first things I thought about. I must have gone there a dozen times, just for the mood.

It was pretty small, but really nice. That's unfortunate that they decided to close it (the waiting lines were insane the last days, think ~1-2h in the middle of the day)

I'm wondering what happened to the 1:2 scale Koubu of the restaurant...

There's something so unique and fresh about this game. I've never played anything like it. Love the music and the characters.

I haven't even gotten into a battle yet!?!

The only thing I really have is THIS!!!

geminisunrise01.jpg

YEAAAAAAAAH!!!

kiryogi

Banned
Koren said:
I don't know who's first, but I'm happy to see people as insane as I am :lol

Yes, I can understand... When I was asked to go there for work, it was one of the first things I thought about. I must have gone there a dozen times, just for the mood.

It was pretty small, but really nice. That's unfortunate that they decided to close it (the waiting lines were insane the last days, think ~1-2h in the middle of the day)

I'm wondering what happened to the 1:2 scale Koubu of the restaurant...

Gonna need to dig this up but in terms of official stuff from the developers... The friend that got me the hanabi pen etc. He's the one that I also first met when I got into Sakura Taisen fandom. He has one item I'm super jealous of that even tops what looks like Oujis signature that Zel has... He has an autograph from Matsubara where he drew sketches of Mel and Ci signed to him. Fricken awesome.

radiantdreamer said:
The only thing I really have is THIS!!!
Gemini Sunrise pvc pic here
YEAAAAAAAAH!!!

I have that too :D

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Finally up to Chapter 7 (I've been sooooooooooo busy this week!). I've loved these games since the Dreamcast days (my god, it's already been a DECADE!!), but it's even MORE fun when I can understand every word of it!! All the little side jokes that I missed out on/wasn't too sure about before are finally cleared up. I've even run into scenes I never found in all of my playthroughs of the original Japanese version, simply because I didn't have to dig out a Kanji dictionary to figure out some of the side dialogue!!

The translation/localization continues to be extremely solid; every character's dialogue feels "right". Gemini's dialogue is different from Subaru's who's different from Diana's etc. etc., and it really just hits all the right cues, drawing out each character's personalities perfectly. This is seriously the best I could have ever hoped for from a Sakura Wars localization!!

HUGE thumbs up from me, N1!

evanft

Um, the Wii version is definitely NOT 480p widescreen. It's 480i 4:3, but it gets stretched. My TV says 480i when I'm playing it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Having played the game for the past 5 hours, I have to say this.

Gemini is AWESOME, I love her character design and her personality is extremely likable. The rest of the cast is pretty good, Rachet, Rikaritta, Saggita, Diane, Sunnyside and Subaru are all very charming.

It feels good to play such a great game in the USA, it is sad because the franchise is pretty much dead. I would love a Sakura Taisen 6 using the Valkyria engine using the New York cast.

JKTrix

Played up until the end of Subaru's chapter today (is it even possible to win that duel?) and downloaded the 'New York, NY' anime OVA to watch later.

Kind of wish it had some capacity for a quicksave or something. Sometimes the space between the 'eyecatch' save points is too far apart for my spastic gaming habits. Do like the game overall.

Hcoregamer00

JKTrix said:
Played up until the end of Subaru's chapter today (is it even possible to win that duel?) and downloaded the 'New York, NY' anime OVA to watch later.

Kind of wish it had some capacity for a quicksave or something. Sometimes the space between the 'eyecatch' save points is too far apart for my spastic gaming habits. Do like the game overall.

Delete it right now, it is horrible crap.

It never existed.

JKTrix

I saw someone get turned to sand and I was like 'eh....' and put it way on the backburner. But that was before 'magic' (and crossdressing) showed up in the game proper when I played, so I guess I was a little spoiled on that.

Hcoregamer00

InfiniteNine said:
I'm loving this! The fact that none of the other games made it stateside is a travesty! Gemini~! <3

You are telling me, if Sega had the guts to bring this to the USA, the franchise would likely still be alive on some level.

We waited over 10 years for this game to come out.

Hcoregamer00

DrAndonuts said:
Maybe the PSP ports will make it over. Hopefully.

Hopefully with lots of improvements, the PSP port of Sakura Taisen 1&2 have HORRENDOUS loading times. I don't know how it runs on CFW, but on the Disk it runs horribly.

androvsky

DrAndonuts said:
Maybe the PSP ports will make it over. Hopefully.

I keep seeing people suggest this on the NISA forums, and I keep cringing every time. Just because it's a PSP game doesn't mean NISA would save a single dime on the localization costs versus localizing the PS2 ports. And if they do bring over the PSP version, assuming SCEA lets them sell the two games separately, they'd get to try to recoup the massive localization costs on the PSP... in the west.

Yeah, I know the second game never got a PS2 port, but even if all we get is 1 and 3 ported to the Wii and maybe HD systems, I'll survive.

kiryogi

Banned
Hehe Koren, Zel:

sakconmayumi.png

sakcon2010autograph.png

Mayumi and her entourage were super impressed/wowed when I presented it for her to sign :D

Hcoregamer00 said:
Having played the game for the past 5 hours, I have to say this.

Gemini is AWESOME, I love her character design and her personality is extremely likable. The rest of the cast is pretty good, Rachet, Rikaritta, Saggita, Diane, Sunnyside and Subaru are all very charming.

It feels good to play such a great game in the USA, it is sad because the franchise is pretty much dead. I would love a Sakura Taisen 6 using the Valkyria engine using the New York cast.

Hell no, fuck NY cast. Teito or Paris plz. Paris more so.

Hcoregamer00

androvsky said:
I keep seeing people suggest this on the NISA forums, and I keep cringing every time. Just because it's a PSP game doesn't mean NISA would save a single dime on the localization costs versus localizing the PS2 ports. And if they do bring over the PSP version, assuming SCEA lets them sell the two games separately, they'd get to try to recoup the massive localization costs on the PSP... in the west.

Yeah, I know the second game never got a PS2 port, but even if all we get is 1 and 3 ported to the Wii and maybe HD systems, I'll survive.

It is pretty much a lose/lose situation.

Release the PSP ports, you are releasing the game on a dead console in the USA. The localization costs would have to be very low if they can sell under 10,000 copies to be profitable.

Release the PS2/Wii game, it may or may not sell. The lack of movement in this thread makes me even wonder if Sakura Taisen V even breaks even. If it makes some money, then we can see other PS2/Wii localizations. If not, we got one game and one game only out of a storied franchise.

kiryogi said:
Hell no, fuck NY cast. Teito or Paris plz. Paris more so.

Ugh, what did the NY cast do to you?

They are a great cast of characters, just because they are not as good as the Tokyo or the Paris team doesn't mean that they are crap.

kiryogi

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

Release the PSP ports, you are releasing the game on a dead console in the USA. The localization costs would have to be very low if they can sell under 10,000 copies to be profitable.

Release the PS2/Wii game, it may or may not sell. The lack of movement in this thread makes me even wonder if Sakura Taisen V even breaks even. If it makes some money, then we can see other PS2/Wii localizations. If not, we got one game and one game only out of a storied franchise.

Ugh, what did the NY cast do to you?

They are a great cast of characters, just because they are not as good as the Tokyo or the Paris team doesn't mean that they are crap.

They exist. (only winners are Rachette and Gemini, although Rachette existed before them)

Diana both in jp and dub - I want to fucking smack her
Rikaritta = Most annoying loli of the 3 in the franchise.
Subaru = Trap has been done before and better
Sagitta = Eh. okay.
Mel-Ci/Tsubaki-Kasumi-Yuri > Anri/Plum

Final bit and I'm sure they know this well over here. If they wanted ST6 to sell they wouldn't make it NY-gumi. That shit would bomb so fast over in Japan. It'd have to be Teito honestly (Japan doesn't take friendly to foreign groups.)

androvsky

Hcoregamer00 said:

Yeah, it's basically either certain fail on the PSP, or possible fail on anything else. Don't know if they could get away with cutting out the dub either to cut costs either.

I guess there's always the possibility the good reviews moves a few copies outside the ultra-hardcore fanbase.

evanft

Yeah, I have a feeling this is a one-off fluke and not an indicator that we're ever going to see 1-4. That makes me a very, very sad panda.

RurouniZel

Hcoregamer00 said:
Hopefully with lots of improvements, the PSP port of Sakura Taisen 1&2 have HORRENDOUS loading times. I don't know how it runs on CFW, but on the Disk it runs horribly.

On custom firmware (playing directly off the stick) the load times are completely gone. It's like playing the Dreamcast version. I'd imagine a PSN release would have similar results.

I wonder if porting the Atsuki Chishio Ni remake to Wii would be financially feasible.

Rebochan

Grrr, Rosenqueen botched my shipping information and now my package is going to an address that doesn't exist. I called their customer service, got some person that took down my information and told me they'd call me back. This is after they ignored me by e-mail when they couldn't be bothered to tell me why it took several days after release date to ship it in the first place.

I swear to god, I will never do business through Rosenqueen again and I don't care WHAT they put in their special editions.

Rebochan

I'm jealous of all the people that have their copies *sniff*

Apparently RosenQueen had a whole bunch of orders bork at the same time as mine, so they're going to reship my special edition. Wha wha whaaaaaaaa.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Rebochan said:
I'm jealous of all the people that have their copies *sniff*

Apparently RosenQueen had a whole bunch of orders bork at the same time as mine, so they're going to reship my special edition. Wha wha whaaaaaaaa.
That would explain why I got mine for free.

RurouniZel

kiryogi said:
Ah ha got it:

http://www.toreishi.net/~tsubaki/mercibw.jpg[img]

So jealous. Cropped oddly enough.[/QUOTE]

:O That's seriously friggin' awesome!

[QUOTE=InfiniteNine]All this stuff you guys have is making me jealous. ;__;[/QUOTE]

If you ever go to Japan, you can find a lot of the old limited editions and cool stuff real cheap if you know where to look. I picked up Sakura Taisen Online for 900 yen. The entire big as hell box and everything!

Ramune

I had my copies of the Wii and PS2 editions with the Artbook waiting for me when I got back from Anime Boston Sunday! It seemed like a hell freezing move, but it's finally happened. Sakura Wars in America!!!

So far it's been getting good press and reviews, but will that translate into sales? I really hope so!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hm, will this work in my 60GB PS3? I'm thinking of picking this up. Anyone seen this at any brick and mortar locations besides Gamestop or is online the way to go?

Vinnk

I pre-ordered this game from amazon and it finally came today (to my American address at least, it still needs to be transfered to me in Japan). It's crazy that a brand new title would take this long to be shipped. Was it really under produced or something?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Wow, just played Chapter 1 and damn this game is so damn refreshing. I played this after FF13 and serious, FF13 is so damn boring, I think I will keep playing this and RoF, both of this games are so damn fun and interesting/funny/fun. :lol

Impressions up to ch 5.. not using a guide.

Game is about 75% dating sim, 25% combat. Combat is easy and lacks strategic depth. It's interesting to look at as a precursor to Valkyria Chronicles, but the fights are putting me to sleep and I'm not a fan of anime at all so the dating sim stuff is wearing thin. Music is very repetitive.. just the same 4 or 5 tracks over and over and over..

I'm not a big fan of babysitting a bunch of impossibly eccentric women and children acting out anime's most worn out cliches about friendship, free will, and love.

So why am I still playing the game? I love SRPGs, and there's pretty much no decent ones coming out this year, save for Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Ramune

GuardianE said:
Thanks for the info. I remember some NIS titles having issues with BC PS3s, so I just wanted to make sure.

I just popped both game discs in my 80GB MGS4 PS3 and they both play well. The upscaled graphics compared to the Wii version really help! There's just ONE little problem....
During FMV the audio tends to sound like it's skipping. This is especially apparent if you let the game run after the intro and it does the Intro preview video. I think I'll be playing the Wii version first after all. It's wicked jarring unfortunately. :-\

Edit: I should note I had my PS3 in a vertical position, since I wanted the 360 next to it in a horizontal position. Not sure if that has an overall barring on why the sound was skipping, and I can try this again tomorrow night and see if I get better results. Or if any of you have a BC PS3, especially BC 80 Gig owners, share your experiences too.

Also noticed in the Wii version on the Title Screen, they play not a Midi version of the Main theme (the case for the PS2 discs), but the Main Theme in full audio with vocals up to the part where it blacks out for the logos. Interesting.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I bought the Wii version because i did not want to pull out my PS2. Was that the wrong decision?

If you didn't want the Japanese VAs, then no, it seems like it wouldn't have mattered anyway. They both seem to perform similarly enough.

Top Bottom