• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Metal Gear's "Quiet" figurine features squishable boobs.

• Thread starter Deleted member 10571
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

There's a difference between having "non-serious elements" and being so absurd that old school G.I. Joe cartoons would be jealous of how silly your fiction is.

If Schindler's List had an elongated fart gag or something, that would be equally as jarring.
Wasn't Ground Zeroes relatively tame in the joke department? Sure, the franchise has quite a history concerning toilet humor, but just taking Ground Zeroes as context it didn't seem like such a crass contrast to me.

sensui-tomo

I hate to be this guy, but would it be fine if they (konami, play arts ) made male equivalent figures of this nature? aka squishy butts, rugged chests, groapable testicals (i think MGS2 had you grab them for an attack?) since the sexualization would be on both genders. Since there is nothing wrong with Sexualization or sex. You don't have to like sex and thats fine.

marrec

Banned
I hate to be this guy, but would it be fine if they (konami, play arts ) made male equivalent figures of this nature? aka squishy butts, rugged chests, groapable testicals (i think MGS2 had you grab them for an attack?) since the sexualization would be on both genders. Since there is nothing wrong with Sexualization or sex. You don't have to like sex and thats fine.

It would be just as juvenile (and stupid) but it wouldn't come with the same baggage.

DrkSage

I'll be honest, I don't have a problem with the figurine at all. I really don't see the issue at all because compared to other figures out there, this one is pretty decent/tame

whoszed

Jesus those nails look disgusting. Take care of your hands whoever you are.

Kojima's always been a perv so nothing surprising here.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wasn't Ground Zeroes relatively tame in the joke department? Sure, the franchise has quite a history concerning toilet humor, but just taking Ground Zeroes as context it didn't seem like such a crass contrast to me.

Relatively, but we're still talking about a game that is still going under the same MGSV banner as this (sorry if the commentary isn't your thing, but it was the easiest way to find this clip...)

Based Kojima
4gk3CmS.png

Finalow

no way! I thought that Quiet was designed with big boobs and no clothes because of her past and personality.

what a shock when I found out that her figure has squishy boobs.

how dare you making it like that, how dare you.

let's all wave the disgusting flag at her squishy boobs! BOOO

I just remembered Ground Zeores had a young woman with a bomb implanted in her vagina.
That's horrifying but something that could happen in a world with terrorist organizations like ISIS going about

So on one hand you want to disgust us and make us feel bad and all the blah blah about horrors of war and the like.
Then you go out and release a doll with malleable breasts like the game was Leisure Suit Larry or something.

The tonal shift is the issue. If Quiet was a DOA character, I wouldn't have a problem
How do you expect me to take a character seriously if the creator promotes her by applauding the squishiness of her breasts?

I hope it doesn't, for the sake of, y'know, not horribly offending an already heavily marginalized community.

I hope he doesn't go that far. Kojima's smart but he lacks tact. Everything he does is to shock or draw attention

Hagi

A toy and a representation of what's wrong with the industry
It gives a wrong impression of the games industry

This kind of stuff is funny when you're young but as you get older it starts to grate, like really?

I don't think a plastic toy with squishy boobs gives the wrong impression about the gaming industry at all. There is a myriad of issues in this industry when it comes to the interpretation and representation of women in gaming and if this stupid toy helps them realize that then good for them.

5 years ago, no one here would have bat an eyelid. People would have just laughed, chuckled, slapped their knee and moved on. But now, like everything else in the world - people get upset. I'm not saying things like this toy should be the norm or anything like that, I just come from the old fashioned way of thinking that if you don't like it, don't buy it. Stop getting so upset over the most insignificant of things and let people have their fun. I have stated before just how fed I am of this politically correct world.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe women should be treated any less than men. Men, women, we're all human. I couldn't give a solitary shit if someone released a toy depicting a male character with a squeezable penis. I would likely chuckle and get on with my day.

I know full well this post will stir up and annoy strong PC minded people, but know that I don't intend to offend. This is just my opinion. I'm entitled to a strong opinion, just as everyone is. The dialog is important, but we shouldn't label people bigots or sexists simply because their views differ from your own. I have no reason to believe that Kojima, and/or whoever else is involved in these games are out to offend women or degrade them in any way. It's just them having some tongue in cheek fun. You may not like it, and that's fine too. Just don't let it ruin your day.

Not that I particularly care about what people on an anonymous message board think of me, but I ask you don't cast judgement or doubt upon me or my beliefs and feelings. Just because my views are different to yours doesn't make me, or anyone else on here, a bad person. Chances are we'll agree on something else.

Personally, I feel this is just another instance of political correctness gone mad and that people should just nut up, get over it, and move on. If you disagree, fine. Like I said, it's not the end of the world. However, if this this view outright offends you, then I genuinely feel sorry that you're so narrow minded and ignorant to not accept that their are others out there that feel differently to you.

Have a nice day everybody!

Tell that to Anthony Bourdain and any other "celebrity traveler" and get back to me. Telling me I'm "indicting an entire country" is pretty absurd. But that's fine if you assume that, I'm not here to be toxic, just engage in conversation. :)
No, I perfectly understood your comment. It was a more elaborate version of the sentiment expressed in comments like "Oh Japan" or "lol Japan."

I just remembered Ground Zeores had a young woman with a bomb implanted in her vagina. That's horrifying but something that could happen in a world with terrorist organizations like ISIS going about

So on one hand you want to disgust us and make us feel bad and all the blah blah about horrors of war and the like. Then you go out and release a doll with malleable breasts like the game was Leisure Suit Larry or something.

The tonal shift is the issue. If Quiet was a DOA character, I wouldn't have a problem
How do you expect me to take a character seriously if the creator promotes her by applauding the squishiness of her breasts?

Those things don't really have to conflict unless you want them to.

5 years ago, no one here would have bat an eyelid. People would have just laughed, chuckled, slapped their knee and moved on. But now, like everything else in the world - people get upset. I'm not saying things like this toy should be the norm or anything like that, I just come from the old fashioned way of thinking that if you don't like it, don't buy it. Stop getting so upset over the most insignificant of things and let people have their fun. I have stated before just how fed I am of this politically correct world.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe women should be treated any less than men. Men, women, we're all human. I couldn't give a solitary shit if someone released a toy depicting a male character with a squeezable penis. I would likely chuckle and get on with my day.

I know full well this post will stir up and annoy strong PC minded people, but know that I don't intend to offend. This is just my opinion. I'm entitled to a strong opinion, just as everyone is. The dialog is important, but we shouldn't label people bigots or sexists simply because their views differ from your own. I have no reason to believe that Kojima, and/or whoever else is involved in these games are out to offend women or degrade them in any way. It's just them having some tongue in cheek fun. You may not like it, and that's fine too. Just don't let it ruin your day.

Not that I particularly care about what people on an anonymous message board think of me, but I ask you don't cast judgement or doubt upon me or my beliefs and feelings. Just because my views are different to yours doesn't make me, or anyone else on here, a bad person. Chances are we'll agree on something else.

Personally, I feel this is just another instance of political correctness gone mad and that people should just nut up, get over it, and move on. If you disagree, fine. Like I said, it's not the end of the world. However, if this this view outright offends you, then I genuinely feel sorry that you're so narrow minded and ignorant to not accept that their are others out there that feel differently to you.

All that needs to be said.

Kinyou

Relatively, but we're still talking about a game that is still going under the same MGSV banner as this (sorry if the commentary isn't your thing, but it was the easiest way to find this clip...)
It's silly but also at least entirely optional. When battlefield diarrhea became an actual part of the storyline and was impossible to avoid that's where I drew the line. So far Phatom Pain seems to at least avoid that.

PBY

Banned

50 years ago (altho...) blatant racism was chill! PC correctness gone amuck!

I just remembered Ground Zeores had a young woman with a bomb implanted in her vagina.
That's horrifying but something that could happen in a world with terrorist organizations like ISIS going about

So on one hand you want to disgust us and make us feel bad and all the blah blah about horrors of war and the like.
Then you go out and release a doll with malleable breasts like the game was Leisure Suit Larry or something.

I hope he doesn't go that far. Kojima's smart but he lacks tact. Everything he does is to shock or draw attention

The bomb in the vag was a tonal trainwreck, although I don't think there is a good way to present that.

rhandino

Banned
It is just a fucking toy but the problem is that the fucking toy has squish-able boobs like it was designed by someone that had never touched a real woman

A toy and a representation of what's wrong with the industry. On one hand.. tee hee! boobs are fun!
On the other hand everyone likes to pretend video games are art and all high brow business.

We need to grow out of this.
No, we don't tbh

Or at least I don't deny that people play games for a LOT of different reasons and not all people want to play mature and artsy games and not all people want super serious and grounded characters...

EDIT: The figure is amusing tbh, don't offend me at all but I can see how it can raise some eyebrows... would like to have one just for the novelty of it =/

PBY

Banned
No, we don't tbh

Or at least I don't deny that people play games for a LOT of different reasons and not all people want to play mature and artsy games and not all people want super serious and grounded characters...

I mean.. that doesn't remove the fact that this is a sexually exploitative toy made likely by and for men that removes the agency and power over a woman's sexuality from the woman. The power dynamics, yes even in a toy for a fucking video game, are off.

To be clear: its a dumb thing, but its also a dumb thing in an industry that has tremendous gender issues that you can't ignore in this context. There is definitely a discussion to be had that shouldn't just be hand-waved away by "oh its just a toy, chill"

I don't think a plastic toy with squishy boobs gives the wrong impression about the gaming industry at all. There is a myriad of issues in this industry when it comes to the interpretation and representation of women in gaming and if this stupid toy helps them realize that then good for them.

True enough, so like I said, we need to grow out of this. If Kojima's a feminist then he's a unique type where he takes it so far in the opposite direction that we realize it's wrong and work to correct it. Problem is, everyone realizes that representation of women is an issue. But they blow it off

Those things don't really have to conflict unless you want them to.

In any piece of fiction you pick a tone and stick with it. James Bond in real life would occasionally have moments that resemble a comedy film or a romance. But we only get the "spy" and "action" moments in the movies. What if the movies included the comedy slapstick moments too? Wouldn't that be weird?

Kojima is actually pretty Bollywood that way

I'm still betting it will be related to sexual abuse/trauma, and it will be handled awfully.

Would it be okay to get upset about that? I shudder to think how actual abuse victims who played the game to take their mind off things would feel

The bomb in the vag was a tonal trainwreck, although I don't think there is a good way to present that.

Kojima = Good Intentions, Poor Execution
Like the class clown trying to explain Kafka

V_Arnold

Why, back in my day women couldn't vote, and we liked it!

50 years ago (altho...) blatant racism was chill! PC correctness gone amuck!

I cant believe I am about to jump in, but you guys are doing a logical fallacy too, and YOU KNOW it. And you also know that you are in the majority, so it is okay then! :D

#gladToBeLiberal

Seriously. He is not asking for beating kids and no voting rights for blacks, he is just not outraged by a toy.

Majukun

I usually don't mind a "tonal shift" in narrative..life is like that..sometimes something bad happens when a moment before you were laughing at a fart joke

but i still find the whole thing stupid..but also predictable since "quiet" was made for fanservice and cosplay in the first place for what i read.

Hagi

On the other hand everyone likes to pretend video games are art and all high brow business.

True enough, so like I said, we need to grow out of this. If Kojima's a feminist then he's a unique type where he takes it so far in the opposite direction that we realize it's wrong and work to correct it.

Problem is, everyone realizes that representation of women is an issue. But they blow it off

Video games are art but that doesn't mean they can't be stupid as shit. Michael Bay films are testament to this. I love me some Bad Boys but it's a stupid ass movie.

We don't need to grow out of anything we just need to grow period. There's not nearly enough variation in how characters are presented or included. I don't think we should be in a situation where we're telling people don't do this, I think ideally we should be telling them try more.

Demoskinos

We have a winner! This x1000

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Tonal shift has been a thing with Metal Gear since the PSX era.

PBY

Banned
I cant believe I am about to jump in, but you guys are doing a logical fallacy too, and YOU KNOW it. And you also know that you are in the majority, so it is okay then! :D

#gladToBeLiberal

Seriously. He is not asking for beating kids and no voting rights for blacks, he is just not outraged by a toy.

See my edit above.

True enough, so like I said, we need to grow out of this. If Kojima's a feminist then he's a unique type where he takes it so far in the opposite direction that we realize it's wrong and work to correct it.

Problem is, everyone realizes that representation of women is an issue. But they blow it off

In any piece of fiction you pick a tone and stick with it. James Bond in real life would occasionally have moments that resemble a comedy film or a romance. But we only get the "spy" and "action" moments in the movies. What if the movies included the comedy slapstick moments too? Wouldn't that be weird?

Kojima is actually pretty Bollywood that way

If it's done well, no. Things to don't have to be extremely serious 100% of the time.

Valnen

It is just a fucking toy but the problem is that the fucking toy has squish-able boobs like it was designed by someone that had never touched a real woman

A toy and a representation of what's wrong with the industry. On one hand.. tee hee! boobs are fun!

It's juvenile. Can you imagine a FemShep doll like this?

I find judgmental attitudes like "haha I bet the person that designed this has never touched a real woman" to be more juvenile than this figurine, honestly.

I'm also not sure why art and sexuality are apparently mutually exclusive in your world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom