• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, now that AI is getting there, could it be used in gaming AI?

nkarafo

There are so many things such a powerful AI could be used for:

- Better, more believable enemies that think things through
- Better co-op bots that feel like real players
- Play any multiplayer game with no real players so you don't have to deal with trolls and edgy kids
- Let it play single player games and enjoy the show (kinda like an attract/spectator mode)

The last part is the most interesting for me. Are those modern AI models powerful enough to figure out how to play complex single player videogames on their own?

Last edited:

SeraphJan

It could, but to function correctly within the scope of designer's intention is a difficult task, the AI could perform weird stuff outside of designer's scope and intention

L*][*N*K

Banned
I think AI is the most exciting area of technology right now, and I think it will revolutionize video games as well, really looking forward to see what they will end up doing with it

RaySoft

There are so many things such a powerful AI could be used for:

- Better, more believable enemies that think things through
- Better co-op bots that feel like real players
- Play any multiplayer game with no real players so you don't have to deal with trolls and edgy kids
- Let it play single player games and enjoy the show (kinda like an attract/spectator mode)

The last part is the most interesting for me. Are those modern AI models powerful enough to figure out how to play complex single player videogames on their own?
The problem with using true AI instead of old "static AI" is that it would become flawless fast. It would be impossible for us humans to compete on it's level.

Aí at the beginning will be mostly used to make the game development pipeline cheaper/faster.

We don't really need complex AI to make good multi-player computer agents as most game have well defined rules so any old school rule based or decision tree based agents would suffice.

What AI can really improve is in character writing, making them more spontaneous with a longer set of lines(hopefully all voiced).

nkarafo

It was used in gaming years before ChatGPT was popular.

That seems like a project specifically made for an AI.

I'm talking about loading a random game, say Metroid Prime or something, and let the AI play it like it's a real person.

The problem with using true AI instead of old "static AI" is that it would become flawless fast. It would be impossible for us humans to compete on it's level.

It could still have some limits like a certain hit/miss ratio ceiling. Like the difficulty levels for the bots in Quake 3/Unreal Tournament.

Sure if you want your co driver in Sega Rally to give you a ridiculously overlong description of the road you're going to drive on for the next five seconds in the voice of Donald Trump. And tell you when it was built. And who did it. And what your grandmother thinks about it. And what type of surface your driving on, and what animals lie dead buried beneath the road. Everything attached to a generic disclaimer monologue so you can't sue it in case it did tell you anything factually wrong.

Madflavor

AI Technology seems like such a double edged sword. So many pros and cons. I mean yeah it's cool as fuck, but I can't help but think of what kind of future we're setting up for ourselves. For every benefit, there seems to be a pretty concerning drawback.

Top Bottom