• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So now that some time has passed....Best PC Controller?

vvise

Love using my Ds3 with a wrapper to make it pretend to be a 360 controller. Works with everything and feels like home.

Just need to figure out bluetooth settings on w8.1.

Got it working over bluetooth :) it's perfect now.

I'm still using a 360 wired pad, it's been great for the past 4 years, it's still in good shape, and I swear the D-Pad on mine has actually improved with age. I've been critical of the D-pad like most people are, and it definitely wasn't nearly as good when brand new, but it feels much better worn in, and I can pull off spinning piledrivers all day on mine now.

Xbox One controller. Better than the 360 one in every aspect outside of wireless imo.

Still use mouse and keyboard primarily though.

SerTapTap

DS4Windows protip: make a Profile for hotkey shortcuts (if you need any) and then two finger swype on the touchpad to toggle. Set different LED colors for both so you know which one you're in.

I need shortcuts to start Bandicam recording, change audio devices (need HDMI audio when using my TV), FPS display. So it's pretty nice to have those mapped on the controller but not actually wasting buttons when in "game mode"

For me, has to be the 360 pad atm because I need the wireless (Game in another room from my PC most the time). I love both the Xbone and DS4, but without wireless on the XBone, right now its only useful when I'm sitting at my PC desk, and my current google mission is trying to find replacement buttons for the DS4 (Change the face buttons to ABXY) so it matches on screen and I can quickly see which is my PS4 controller and which is my PC. No where does these yet. Also, I'd need a second DS4, and they're rather pricey atm.

ghibli99

I'll have to try the XB1 controller on PC. I've been using a wired 360 controller for years and it's tough to use anything else.

Pejo

Gold Member
Just wanted to update the thread with what I went with after all the great and informative GAF opinions.

I actually borrowed a friend's X1 controller for an evening to try out on PC with the official drivers, and compared it to the Dualshock 4 that I already owned with my PS4 using Ds4Windows (pointed out to me by Nabs; Thanks Nabs!).

Being my first time holding an X1 controller, I was very impressed, but I still am not a big fan of the asymmetrical sticks, and the Dpad, while better than the 360 pad's, was still not what I was looking for, at least enough to justify the purchase.

The Ds4 (which I was using wired at the time), felt great as expected, since I was already a fan of it since I got my PS4. The compatibility for the games I tried were great (Blazblue, Metro: Last Light, some 2D platformers). What i really loved was the mouse capabilities of the touch pad though. It was awesome for navigating around menus and between games if I didn't want to use Big Picture Mode. I noticed a few times i was messing up my aim in Borderlands 2 by accidentally touching the pad while running, but overall it was awesome to have the functionality.

So I then attempted to get it working on Windows 7 Pro wirelessly with a Bluetooth dongle, and had a ton of problems. After a few hours research I found that it's a Windows 7 problem with the DS4. I upgraded my gaming PC to Windows 8.1 after finding this out, something I had been meaning to do for a while anyways. After the setup and reinstallation of everything, I tried again using Bluetooth and it worked fantastically.

So now, I purchased a 2nd DS4, and enjoy wireless comfy couch gaming, so far with no real issues. A really interesting thing is that I can charge the DS4 on USB from my tablet/laptop next to the couch while it's connected wirelessly to my gaming PC.

The Ds4 touchpad is a gamechanger for me.

Besides that Every controller is pretty even in terms of functionality. If u use the right software

Ifrit

Xbox 360 Wireless cotroller + USB receiver for FPS and TPS, or anything with analog aiming or movement

DS3 for platformers and 2D games, or anything that needs a good dpad

Been having some issues in Dark Souls II PC with a 360 pad. Jump attacks not triggering correctly. Anyone find a better alternative?

Zizbuka

Banned
Still use the X360, it's perfect for most games. I suck with it for driving games though. Does anyone make a mini wheel controller, you know where I hold the controller in my left hand and steer with my right hand? That would be awesome.

Fbh

For anything that doesn't use the D-Pad the 360 controller is still the best option, IMO.
You can find the wireless one with the PC adapter for decent prices.

If the D-Pad is needed (like in, say, fighting games). Dualshock 3

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Good controller, but I found the triggers to be stiff as all hell.

Exact same problem. Trying to play spelunky with this was so painful. Still love it though, though I now prefer the DS4.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Mouse and keyboard for anything it works with.
Wired 360 pad for most other games, even though the dpad is so shit that it is a pain even using it to select items etc.
Wii classic controller pro for dpad based games.

oti

Banned
I've been playing with my DS3 since I built my PC a few months ago (Xbox 360 is absolutely not an option with that d-pad). I got a bt adapter and use MotionJoy, everything works BUT the battery of the DS3 is pretty bad. So I looked into ways to make my Wii U Pro Controller work. Great controller and amazing battery. I bought this PC adapter for it and it works just as advertised, but the face buttons are all messed up. I know it's due to the different face buttons placement but it's still weird. I got used to the DS3 emulating an Xbox 360 controller, jumping with "A" (the far right button) feels odd. Dinput seems like a hassle and changing the controls for every game doesn't sound so comfortable either. What to do?

AppleMIX

As someone who has used a PS4, 360 and Xbox One controller. The Xbox one is the best IMO. My only complaint is that you have to hit hard on the start and select buttons.

kewlmyc

Still the Xbox 360. The easiest to hook up and everything other than the D-Pad is great for it. Got rid of my 360 a while back, but still keep a wireless controller for PC.

Scrabble

xbox one controller would be absolutely perfect if it weren't for the bumpers being awkward. And every xbox 360 controller I've gotten in the past few years has the same dead zone issue with the right stick. If I just barely tap it in a direction, it will continue in that direction until I correct it. DS4 needs official drivers and I also find it to be too small.

Nabs

xbox one controller would be absolutely perfect if it weren't for the bumpers being awkward. And every xbox 360 controller I've gotten in the past few years has the same dead zone issue with the right stick. If I just barely tap it in a direction, it will continue in that direction until I correct it. DS4 needs official drivers and I also find it to be too small.

Official DS4 drivers wouldn't come close to what we have right now. Just pretending to be a 360 controller isn't enough anymore.

SlickVic

It would probably be the Xbox One controller for me if it had a wireless option. I actually used a wired 360 pad for years without issue, but after buying a wireless receiver and Eneloops for a wireless 360 controller I had lying around from buying my 360 way back when, I just can't go back to wired controllers if I can help it.

I think the form factor is nice for the DS4 as well, but I could never use that as a primary PC controller. Something about most PC games not having the on screen button prompts for the DS4 buttons. Yeah, it's trivial to convert the 360 button prompts to their Playstation equivalent in your head, but just something about it makes the presentation of the game feel a bit sloppy.

FLAguy954

The Xbox One controller is now my go-to form of input. Man, the vibration on tht thing is soooooo smooth and once you get used to the triggers (you have to press them in a different way the the Xbox 360 controllers), this controller equals gaming bliss. Also, the sticks, although more lax, seem to be of higher build quality and I love the textured grips.

Nillansan

I am absolutely loving the Xbox One controller. I bought one as soon as the official drivers were released a few months back. I will eventually buy more to replace my 360 controllers.

Top Bottom