• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... PS5 will have the best looking games next gen for the first year(s)

pixelation

Microsoft has gone on record stating that they will not be releasing 1st party exclusive games for the XBSX, there will be 3rd party exclusive games though (we saw some of those in today's divisive MS showing). Thing is... Sony will have actual 1st party exclusives that will more likely than not be more impressive than whatever 3rd parties can come up with (as XBSX exclusives) and MS will not retaliate until a year or two years later, so Sony will end up having the best looking games for two years almost and people will see that and all of the teraflops numbers won't matter to regular people who will just look at Sony's first party offerings looking better than MS's cross gen offerings and 3rd party exclusives. By the time MS starts releasing games tailored specifically for the XBSX people will have already made up their minds and gone with Sony (not even taking into account that you can buy all of MS's first party offerings on PC as well, and that the XBSX will more likely than not end up holding back how they design their own first party games. Read up here in this interview from today where Jason Ronald did not say that XBSX games won't be held back: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...onald-on-power-price-and-that-new-boot-screen)
I know third-parties can decide to release games exclusive on Xbox Series X. But what about your own games? Take Halo Infinite for example. This is a game that works on a base Xbox One right up through to Xbox Series X. Obviously it'll look and perform better on Xbox Series X. But how can it have meaningful gameplay and design features that take advantage of what's possible on Xbox Series X when you have to make it work on a base Xbox One in fundamentally the same way?

Jason Ronald:
In some ways, it's no different than some of the things we've been doing over the last couple of years with PC. We're focused on reaching the largest audience of players possible. And developers have a whole series of good techniques, whether it's things like dynamic resolution scaling as an example, that make it easier to scale up and scale down. Sometimes you'll have features that are exclusive to one device versus another.

All of these devices are shared from an Xbox Live perspective. So making sure people have great communities to play with, whether it's PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, we're giving developers the capability to have things that work similarly across generations, and that then lean into the unique capabilities of one form factor versus another.

What we've seen so far from both our first-party studios as well as third-party studios is they actually prefer this level of flexibility, because they know how to tailor their experience to provide that best experience for the player.
Notice how he just gives the reporter the run around instead of giving a concise answer. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Microsoft has gone on record stating that they will not be releasing 1st party exclusive games for the XBSX, there will be 3rd party exclusive games though (we saw some of those in today's divisive MS showing). Thing is... Sony will have actual 1st party exclusives that will more likely than not be more impressive than whatever 3rd parties can come up with (as XBSX exclusives) and MS will not retaliate until a year or two years later, so Sony will end up having the best looking games for two years almost and people will see that and all of the teraflops numbers won't matter to regular people who will just look at Sony's first party offerings looking better than MS's cross gen offerings and 3rd party exclusives. By the time MS starts releasing games tailored specifically for the XBSX people will have already made up their minds and gone with Sony (not even taking into account that you can buy all of MS's first party offerings on PC as well, and that the XBSX will more likely than not end up holding back how they design their own first party games. Read up here in this interview from today where Jason Ronald did not say that XBSX games won't be held back: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...onald-on-power-price-and-that-new-boot-screen)

Notice how he just gives the reporter the run around instead of giving a concise answer. What are your thoughts on the matter?
I'd put a wager on Sony not having the best looking games for the first couple of years when it comes to 1st party. I'll bet they both stand neck and neck in the visuals department, at least first party. You in?

Banned
I know, but Microsoft's games will not be exclusive to XBSX. Sony's first party offerings will be exclusive to the PS5

and how does that say anything about the graphics of these games?
by that logic the Witcher 3 can't look 20x better on PC than it does on Switch... because it runs on Switch too. but it does look 20x better on PC... and 20x is a huge understatement here

this logic is beyond dumb I'm sorry...

downscaling a game's graphics is not hard if you also have to have a PC version that needs to do that anyways.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I'd put a wager on Sony not having the best looking games for the first couple of years when it comes to 1st party. I'll bet they both stand neck and neck in the visuals department, at least first party. You in?
How you going to prove something that subjective? But the OP does bring up a good point.

pixelation

Don't really see a problem with what he said.
Scale down resolution, reduce target framerate, reduce texture and shadow resolution, cut out some effects.... there are plenty of ways to properly make a game cross gen without having to sacrifice the game itself.
If you wanna half ass it sure... but they won't be able to design with the SSD as a standard (like Sony will with the PS5), developers will be able to design their games without having to mask loading times on PS5 (design layout will be vastly different as a result on PS5 where XBSX first party won't have the same luxury until they start designing exclusive games for XBSX).

pixelation

and how does that say anything about the graphics of these games?
by that logic the Witcher 3 can't look 20x better on PC than it does on Switch... because it runs on Switch too. but it does look 20x better on PC... and 20x is a huge understatement here

this logic is beyond dumb I'm sorry...

downscaling a game's graphics is not hard if you also have to have a PC version that needs to do that anyways.
I am sorry... let me break it down for you, take a look at Jak's II map. The sidewinding streets designed like that to be able to mask loading times... if the same game was to be made for PS5 they would axe that design because it's not needed. Now if they were to make it for XBO/XBSX the design would stay the same (the sidewinding streets) because the XBO needs it to be designed like that (but the XBSX doesn't) however MS has decided to make their games playable on all of their consoles for the next two years (and Sony won't be handicapping their console like that), hope that helps you understand (just one tiny example).

Last edited:

Banned
not only visuals .. but this will hurt games design as well .. cross gen games will have to consider hdd speed .. remember guerrilla wanted to add flying in horizon but they couldn't because of the hdd speed ..

they couldn't because their engine wasn't made for it not because of HDD speeds.
how do you explain that GTA 5 allows you to fly across the map in a Jet on the same hardware? or JustCause 4?

there have been countless games that allow you to fly across a (for their time and hardware) detailed map with no issue... why should it be an issue in Horizon? simple... it is an issue because the engine's asset streaming wasn't optimized for it, simple as that.

I am sorry... let me break it down for you, take a look at Jak's II map. The sidewinding streets designed like that to be able to mask loading times... if the same game was to be made for PS5 they would axe that design because it's not needed. Now if they were to make it for XBO/XBSX the desing would stay the same (the sidewinding streets) because the XBO needs it to be designed like that (but the XBSX doesn't) however MS has decided to make their games playable on all of their consoles for the next two years (and Sony won't be handicapping their console like that), hope that helps you understand (just one tiny example).

you said "best looking games"
hiding loading screens doesn't keep a game from looking good.
one of the best looking games out there is The Order 1886, looks crazy good... plays like shit, but looks great. the game is extremely linear and scripted which is why it can look that good.
so graphics =/= leveldesign

also, stuff like that is very much not an issue anymore these days, and if it is, maybe Mictosoft will just do what Ubisoft did with the SplinterCell on PS2. they released the game on both Xbox and PS2, but because the PS2 was vastly underpowered compared to their lead platform (PC and Xbox) they split some levels into smaller chunks and had loading screens inside levels that weren't present in the PC/XBox version.

this way they can still release the "same" game on both but not compromise design.
this will not be an issue anyways and I bet that no PS5 games will in any way use the SSD and the CPU to such a degree that an HDD and a slower CPU wouldn't be able to run the game. they would really need to try to make something like that and most launch titles are repurposed games from the older consoles anyways in 90% of all cases.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that Sony games will look better at first, yes. But visuals are less important than for MS to deliver something on the level of God of War or The Last of Us.

Guilty_AI

If you wanna half ass it sure... but they won't be able to design with the SSD as a standard (like Sony will with the PS5), developers will be able to design their games without having to mask loading times on PS5 (design layout will be vastly different as a result on PS5 where XBSX first party won't have the same luxury until they start designing exclusive games for XBSX).
You'd be surprised.
Also, don't expect advances on the level you're talking about until the middle of the gen. That goes for both consoles.

pyrocro

I know, but Microsoft's games will not be exclusive to XBSX. Sony's first party offerings will be exclusive to the PS5 and Sony first party always knocks it out of the park technologically speaking (even when their hardware is less powerful than the competition).
Horizon Zero Dawn will no longer be exclusive when it comes to PC YET.
IT will Look and play better on PC which is the exact opposite of your premise YET we can all say without even seeing it that the above statement will be true.
But for the XBSX this can only mean a bad thing.
The false premise that XBSX games being on PC and Xbox one thus the games would not look as good or better then PS5 with more power under the hood is such a trash argument/premise / intentional slight it's really ridiculous.

pixelation

they couldn't because their engine wasn't made for it not because of HDD speeds.
how do you explain that GTA 5 allows you to fly across the map in a Jet on the same hardware? or JustCause 4?

there have been countless games that allow you to fly across a (for their time and hardware) detailed map with no issue... why should it be an issue in Horizon? simple... it is an issue because the engine's asset streaming wasn't optimized for it, simple as that.

you said "best looking games"
hiding loading screens doesn't keep a game from looking good.
one of the best looking games out there is The Order 1886, looks crazy good... plays like shit, but looks great. the game is extremely linear and scripted which is why it can look that good.
so graphics =/= leveldesign

also, stuff like that is very much not an issue anymore these days, and if it is, maybe Mictosoft will just do what Ubisoft did with the SplinterCell on PS2. they released the game on both Xbox and PS2, but because the PS2 was vastly underpowered compared to their lead platform (PC and Xbox) they split some levels into smaller chunks and had loading screens inside levels that weren't present in the PC/XBox version.

this way they can still release the "same" game on both but not compromise design.
this will not be an issue anyways and I bet that no PS5 games will in any way use the SSD and the CPU to such a degree that an HDD and a slower CPU wouldn't be able to run the game. they would really need to try to make something like that and most launch titles are repurposed games from the older consoles anyways in 90% of all cases.
and that the XBSX will more likely than not end up holding back how they design their own first party games.
So you didn't even read my whole OP... cool.

pixelation

Horizon Zero Dawn will no longer be exclusive when it comes to PC YET.
IT will Look and play better on PC which is the exact opposite of your premise YET we can all say without even seeing it that the above statement will be true.
But for the XBSX this can only mean a bad thing.
The false premise that XBSX games being on PC and Xbox one thus the games would not look as good or better then PS5 with more power under the hood is such a trash argument/premise / intentional slight it's really ridiculous.
Will HZD have flying robots on PC like Guerrila wanted to (on PS4), no?... why?... because it was designed for PS4 and the PS4 couldn't handle that. As a result HZD on PC will be held back (due to it having originally been designed for lesser hardware) from what could truly be acomplished if designed for PC exclusively.

Last edited:

Banned
So you didn't even read my whole OP... cool.

I did, but that was not the main topic was it?
also, again, this won't affect game design, if they really wanted to do something with the SSD then they can always change stuff for the non SSD version.

also they release all games on PC as well, meaning the Xbox One support most likely stems from there. if they already make PC versions that scale down to mid range and low end PCs, they can also just as well make an Xbox One version.

Will HZD have flying robots on PC like Guerrila wanted to (on PS4), no?... why?... because it was designed for PS4 and the PS4 couldn't handle that. As a result HZD on PC will be held back (due to it having originally been designed for lesser hardware) from what could truly be acomplished if designed for PC exclusively.

again I want to point out that the PS4 has no issue handling fast flying across an open world, but their engine does have an issue with it. the Rage engine has no issue with that on PS4... hell on PS3 even, neither does the Apex engine... or the Call of Duty engine... or the *enter name of open world engine here*

Last edited:
Cool! Avy bet, er what?

giphy.gif

good ol fashioned duel

pixelation

I did, but that was not the main topic was it?
also, again, this won't affect game design, if they really wanted to do something with the SSD then they can always change stuff for the non SSD version.

also they release all games on PC as well, meaning the Xbox One support most likely stems from there. if they already make PC versions that scale down to mid range and low end PCs, they can also just as well make an Xbox One version.
I mentioned graphics and design, you focused solely on the graphics bud. Like it or not, XB first party games will largely be designed the same way they have been for the last couple gens because they won't be able to code specifically for XBSX for the next couple of years, that's a fact that you cannot get around.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
TBH that would probably be true either way.

But how many 1st party games do you think either side is going to crank out year 1?

We really won't know what this means until we know what is coming out in the first year.

Aion002

Not only in the first years.

Art>>>>>Raw power.

ND, Santa Monica, Polyphony, Sucker Punch and others will keep making amazing looking games on PS5 and the art will carry the console, even if MS releases a Series X 2 even more powerful, it will be just like the Switch, if the art is great, most people won't care if it is weaker.

See the PS3, weaker(harder to develop) than 360: TLU, UC3, Gran Turismo 5....

In Ps4 case, weaker than X: TLU2, Ghost of Tsushima, GT Sport...

Banned
I mentioned graphics and design, you focused solely on the graphics bud. Like it or not, XB first party games will largely be designed the same way they have been for the last couple gens because they won't be able to code specifically for XBSX for the next couple of years, that's a fact that you cannot get around.

Sony's games will too. what could sony possibly do with an SSD that can change their game design drastically... and that in a launch title that was most likely in development for 4-5 years and not even really designed for the PS5 in the first place but reallocated to it when they had the launch timeframe in place.

MS games on One.

In my opinion, Lost Legacy, GT Sport, Detroit, Spiderman, God of War and others are more impressive than every single MS game on One X.

I agree with all those games except Detroit. GoW and Spidey are two of the most visually impressive games this gen, hell so is infamous SS and even Days Gone. Gears 5 and RDR2 on One X are lookers too tho

but that wasn’t my point. The PS4 had the power lead most of the gen, I was told it was the lead platform. It really the weaker platform this gen. No game was built ground up for the Pro or the X

Vitter.

Don't really see a problem with what he said.
Scale down resolution, reduce target framerate, reduce texture and shadow resolution, cut out some effects.... there are plenty of ways to properly make a game cross gen without having to sacrifice the game itself.
That is only in ghraphical sense but next gen could potentially(or should) mean a chance to design systems or stuff that won't work on current gen.

skneogaf

Aha... what about design layout?, can I also modify the settings for that? (even read the full OP?).

Level design won't be as big a change as what you think.

So many people will be disappointed it seems with what next generation games look like as it seems to be their first switch over from one to generation to the next.

You can only see what's on the screen so a level design like open world games like the witcher 3 are already showing us the limit of what our eyes would see in real life so next generation level design will just put more in the world.

Draw distance and a million other things can be adjusted to allow a game to be on a garbage console like the xbox one original on let's an open world game and have everything turn on for a xbox series ☓ version.

An awful lot of us have pc's that more powerful than the two next generation consoles so already understand.

You will be disappointed when you see your chosen consoles games also have a ps4 version and don't look massively different than today's offerings.

Aion002

I agree with all those games except Detroit. GoW and Spidey are two of the most visually impressive games this gen, hell so is infamous SS and even Days Gone. Gears 5 and RDR2 on One X are lookers too tho

but that wasn’t my point. The PS4 had the power lead most of the gen, I was told it was the lead platform. It really the weaker platform this gen. No game was built ground up for the Pro or the X
Well, my point is over first party titles.

The PS4 Pro is just a buffed up OG PS4, the difference is not big.

While the Xbox X has quite the difference compared to the S, and even with better resolution and other technical aspects, in my opinion, no MS game looks better than GoW, for example.

In other words, in the art department: Sony studios>>>>MS.

Banned
Level design won't be as big a change as what you think.

So many people will be disappointed it seems with what next generation games look like as it seems to be their first switch over from one to generation to the next.

You can only see what's on the screen so a level design like open world games like the witcher 3 are already showing us the limit of what our eyes would see in real life so next generation level design will just put more in the world.

Draw distance and a million other things can be adjusted to allow a game to be on a garbage console like the xbox one original on let's an open world game and have everything turn on for a xbox series ☓ version.

An awful lot of us have pc's that more powerful than the two next generation consoles so already understand.

You will be disappointed when you see your chosen consoles games also have a ps4 version and don't look massively different than today's offerings.

exactly.
the Witcher 3 is a good comparison point. the game looks crazy good on PC is fully open world with no barriers blocking your line of sight... yet it can run on the Switch by dropping draw distance and other settings.

pixelation pixelation so what exactly would a game look like that is designed for SSD? how would you improve from something like GTA 5, The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2? RDR2 especially already has so little noticeable pop-in on Xbox One X while looking crazy good. what could an SSD improve from there when it comes to leveldesign?
and stop with that Horizon flying across the map shit. that is 100% an Engine issue not a hardware issue, since so many games have fast vehicles that allow you to fly across detailed open maps. games made with the Rage Engine, Apex Engine or even Call of Duty's engine can do that with ease now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom