• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

Yagharek

An comparison had to be used because some of you folks "don't get it".

NDA's are place protecting Microsoft from these sorts things. Breaking street dates and posting vids/screenshots affects those contracts.

If you get a console early just stay your butt offline.

So do you actually think this guy signed an nda before getting his console shipped? Dear god...

If he didn't sign one, he isn't bound by one. Why you are so willing to defend Microsoft committing consumer fraud is beyond all reason

wizzbang

Banned
It's utterly hilarious that Microsofts first real paying customer, who wants to buy the Xbox One (seemingly a rare thing if forums are to be believed) is also their first console ban.
Tomorrow is going to be incredible for news sites, just off the dial.

sunofsam

You guys defending MS for the ban have stooped to an entirely new level that is just plain sad. Let's switch the story a bit, let's say it wasn't this guy that got his early, let's say it was a mother that got it for her kid. Now, she doesn't check forums or know as much as us so she doesn't think much about receiving it earlier than expected, she starts setting it up for her kid but MS sees that the console is online and bans it. Do you think that's right? An unknowing victim of target shipping the console early.

1. No indication of the type of BAN. None.
2. No indication that early users are getting Banned. There are people using it now.

Dude got banned (temp? who the fuck knows - not me, not you) for uploading videos of an unfinished product.

Remember all the people getting bans for uploading GTA5 videos prior to release?? Play the game early .. fine. Show video, not fine.

edit: Point 1 is wrong, therefore the rest is wrong.

BigDug13

2. No indication that early users are getting Banned. There are people using it now.

Dude got banned (temp? who the fuck knows - not me, not you) for uploading videos of an unfinished product.

Remember all the people getting bans for uploading GTA5 videos prior to release?? Play the game early .. fine. Show video, not fine.

What other types of bans have Microsoft issued in the past for Xbox? Can you point to specific temp bans that have been issued?

Why are you defending this so hard? What's in it for you?

NDA's are place protecting Microsoft from these sorts things. Breaking street dates and posting vids/screenshots affects those contracts.

They should do what Rockstar did; Talk to the person who got it early directly and talk shit out. I agree that they do have the right to ban, but doing so with many armchair mobs with pitchforks already outside their gate is frankly, stupid.

Microsoft wants to keep things under wraps: I get it. They have the right to ban: I get that too. But should they have done so? Oh fuck no.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I'm one of the biggest Xbox fanboys on this board and even I'm having a hard time understanding why your defending MS in this instant. The guy legitimately payed cash for the console. Target sent it to him. He plays it online and gets banned. Specifically, what bit of the terms of service did he infringe to get his console banned. Please point it out if you want to continue to defend this position.

Petrae

What is the release date, Petrae?

It's available in stores, according to various websites, on the 22nd. But if I was to receive it early without any kind of warning on the packaging, I would've done just what this customer did. I would've set it up, played, shared info.

It's not my problem as a paying customer if there are things that MS doesn't want me to share. The retailer paid for their product, I paid the retailer, and now the retailer delivered it to my house earlier than expected. I'm getting what I paid my $500 for.

asdad123

Honestly, if it's considered an unfinished product 13 days before launch (which for all we know, there's boxes just sitting in store rooms just like the PS4), then I have giant concerns about the xbox. I have one preordered, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it.

He shouldn't have been banned. Like others have said, take it up with target who sold him the console early, not the consumer.

Wow terms of use violation , just Smh Microsoft, you can bet that whoever has Titanfall or any big release game early will get banned asap.

RIP xbox one, the first one on

Xbox Live isn't NeoGAF, you don't get banned for a week or two at a time. A ban's a ban. It's either gamertag or console. Either is permanent and that's it.

The Xbox One is "unfinished" according to you? Then they shouldn't be releasing the console.

The fact of the matter is that this is a retail unit, it has been purchased and paid for and it should be usable without repercussion. This is a blatant violation of consumer rights.

Ovid

They should do what Rockstar did; Talk to the person who got it early directly and talk shit out. I agree that they do have the right to ban, but doing so with many armchair mobs with pitchforks already outside their gate is frankly, stupid.

Microsoft wants to keep things under wraps: I get it. They have the right to ban: I get that too. But should they have done so? Oh fuck no.
I agree.

This is why I will continue to lurk this thread and not post in it.

looking at his Tweets, he isn't too angry that he can't go online as long as it is just a temporary ban until next week.

he seems to understand why they might do it.

How difficult is it to understand? They are protecting their promises with media sources.

Imagine if you're a media company and have to adhere to an embargo on reviews or talking about features. Then some dude gets his console way before street date and begins leaking all the info you were made to hold off on. Think that is going to fly well?

They are protecting their media relations by holding the info tight. Dude is going to get unbanned, almost definitely. This is just to keep money going where promised. Business.

SHADES

If you feared he would get banned, you recognized that rules are rules.

The console isn't released yet. Of course he got banned.

It is illegal to use because it is not verified for him to use yet. It was a great night of previews though.

So it's "illegal" on the 21/11/13 but legal on the 22/11/13?

Fun fact: it's not illegal! It might be against some t&c's but as yet have the buying public been made aware of such t&c's for XBONE?

The issue should be with the distributor not the end user but as always it's the consumer that gets penalised.

MS have to been aware that with distribution some consoles may get into the public domain early, & permabanning those consoles isn't the way to deal with it, a temp ban or denying access to XBL until launch would be more appropriate.

BigDug13

looking at his Tweets, he isn't too angry that he can't go online as long as it is just a temporary ban until next week.

he seems to understand why they might do it.

Why are he and you assuming "temp ban"? What is the precedence for such an assumption?

Microsoft has permabanned consoles in the past for detecting that you played a game prior to street date even with no media publishing of the game on your social media accounts.

witness

If dude got the console legitimately then thats really fucked up by MS, so it seems like something they would totally do.

It's available in stores, according to various websites, on the 22nd. But if I was to receive it early without any kind of warning on the packaging, I would've done just what this customer did. I would've set it up, played, shared info.

It's not my problem as a paying customer if there are things that MS doesn't want me to share. The retailer paid for their product, I paid the retailer, and now the retailer delivered it to my house earlier than expected. I'm getting what I paid my $500 for.

So what if your Snap crashed and bricked your console or something crazy? You would come on GAF and tell the world that the rumors were right. This thing is not usable.

This is not just a retail game, its a home console. With work left to be done behind the scenes. If they say it is not ready until the 22nd, it is not ready. Period.

wizzbang

Banned
Are you new to Xbox? I had my 360 banned for street date violation of a game. And I was such a glutton for Microsoft punishment that I bought another 360.

What game and when?
No mods or cracks of any kind?

I don't understand how they can get away with that shit.

Petrae

We'd "get it" if this was a member of the gaming press who received a free box and violated an NDA.

We don't "get it" when a paying customer received his console legitimately from the retailer prior to the expected date and now inexplicably is held to the same expectation. This isn't an NDA situation. This is something that Microsoft honestly should have planned for in advance and been ready to accommodate.

BBboy20

The people are suddenly obliged to second guessing rather they can play their purchases or not now just because they received theirs early?

When the Xbox 360 launched, I received mine three days early. I was not banned for that. Xbox Live simply didn't work on the console at the time. After I and several other people called Xbox Support, Xbox Live was turned on for the 360s a day later and we were all happily playing Perfect Dark Zero without repercussion. They're able to not allow consoles on early without banning them, they've done it before. This was a deliberate violation of consumer rights and that's why it's infuriating. The people defending this kind of behavior are disgusting.

I'm going out on a limb and saying the people defending the ban on the basis of Microsoft protecting themselves over a customer are never going to change their tune, ever.

How ludicrous.

Xater

How difficult is it to understand? They are protecting their promises with media sources.

Imagine if you're a media company and have to adhere to an embargo on reviews or talking about features. Then some dude gets his console way before street date and begins leaking all the info you were made to hold off on. Think that is going to fly well?

They are protecting their media relations by holding the info tight. Dude is going to get unbanned, almost definitely. This is just to keep money going where promised. Business.

Maybe just maybe they could have contacted the dude first? It's not hard, he is on Twitter. Also, the shit is already out there so banning him won't do them any good. It will just cause the Streisand effect, you would think people would know about that by now.

Maybe just maybe they could have contacted the dude first? It's not hard, he is on Twitter. Also, the shit is already out there so banning him won't do them any good. It will just cause the Streisand effect, you would think people would know about that by now.

They may have. Dude just received how many followers in short order. They could of been drowned out. There's a lot of assumptions going on. He may of been contacted and not disclosed it. Hard to say for sure.

Skeff

I cannot believe there are people ITT defending MS for this, the guy bought a $500 console and now it's banned because he had the audacity to play it when it arrived at his house after legally purchasing it.

What's wrong with some of you?

Alx

Scenario doesn't make sense because you're clearly in the wrong by sneaking in.

Try again.

Connecting to a service that isn't open to the public is "sneaking in" too. Even if the door is open, if you're not supposed to be there, you get kicked out.

Top Bottom