• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

How the fuck does Microsoft justify banning this guy? What did he do wrong? Ship himself an XB1 early? Nope, Target did that!

How dare he try and get that console online after getting it early. The nerve of that guy! He hacked into the Xbox Live network. Oh wait, that didn't happen at all. Microsoft just let him log on and update his console, etc.

This is just classic Microsoft being a stodgy old fucking man. It's honestly unbelievable to me they'd do this with the negative PR it's going to generate. Dude was doing nothing wrong, nothing damaging to Microsoft, and had no ill will towards anyone, and they ban him. In fact, he was getting all sorts of people excited about the XB1 on the Internet!

BibiMaghoo

Fact remains Xbox Live is a service MS provides and have the ability to ban any account they deem fit without explanation. That's been in the terms of service for a very long time. They clearly weren't happy someone was on Xbox live on their new console before it is publicly available, so they did something about it.

None of your post is debated, that doesn't make it at all acceptable in anyway. The complaint is that it is disgusting, anti-consumer behaviour, and that is it not a good start for them at a time when their perceived image is already in the gutter. It is about MS controlling every possible aspect of coverage in an attempt to hide and manipulate details and information that portrays the console in an even worse light.

Can they ban people, sure. Should they? fuck no.

UberTag

He isn't being punished as all he has to do is take the console back, recoup his money and any expenses involved in doing so. He'll be in exactly the same situation as if his order had been shipped when it was supposed to and he could have legitimately expected it to.
Why would Target refund the customer's purchase price?
They can't resell this system; it will no longer connect to LIVE.
It worked out of the box when they sold it to him. Now it has core functionality disabled.

Target's plainly at fault for shipping it early... but what you say is a "no problem" remedy is the equivalent of buying a television, throwing a brick through its screen and taking it back to the store for a refund.

I've seen this term anti-consumer thrown so much around here...do you know what it means?

if ms is anti-consumer, they wouldn't be selling this shit at all to anyone. I think you guys need a better term to use like anti-neogaf or anti-entitlement.

Wikipedia: Anti-consumerist activists express concern over modern corporations or organizations that pursue solely economic goals at the expense of environmental, social, or ethical concerns.

this is a social and ethical issue.

awesome. MS scours the intertubes every time a little monkey hits the ban button. This one they probably missed...

Yeah, there has to be MILLIONS of pre-release consoles out in the wild. No wonder they missed this one. Really?

No, they could go "Oh shit, unauthorized access - that isn't Penello! *google for two seconds*" "Oh, it's the first hit (go figure). It's legally purchased, uh oh!" (Sues Target)

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
As I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of anything else I can purchase that has/can be banned after the fact.

Internet is one thing if you're going out of your way to illegally download music, movies, programs, etc., and excuse me if I can't think of anything else.

But this consumer did not sign any agreement stating he would not use the product. He is not a fucking mass medium bound by NDA regulations. He is the product of a retailer error.

Then some of you say that despite that, it's Microsoft's unfinished property... okay? Once again, why is it this person's problem? Oh, but it's okay to sell an unfinished and unoptomized piece of shit game? I have never heard of someone not using their legitimately received product because they were concerned about corporate rights and street dates. Once again, he did not go out of his way to get the product, they went out of their way to give it to him (Target, that is).

What could they have done? They could have just denied access to the internet for anyone and everyone that happens to also receive an early-shipped console. As many of you mentioned, bans were never really reversed on the 360, so why is it just "safe to assume" that this one will be temporary for the guy?

We can assume one way or another, but history has shown that it's improbable, which I'm sure is more credible than the assumptions some of you are making of this being temporary.

Ultimately, I think Microsoft went about this incorrectly. I HOPE his console gets unbanned, but I don't expect it. What a way to kill an early adopter...

One more thing: some of you really need to be in the shoes of others. I doubt it would be so easy for some of you to assume that your early-received console will have its ban reversed if you were in this guy's shoes (and judging by his tweets, he is taking it surprisingly well).

tbm24

Of course. It is their service, and they can do what they like.

I wasn't arguing that what they did was unlawful, just that it wasn't something I would imagine people defending.

To quote The Dude: "No, you're not wrong Microsoft, you're just an asshole"
I can see why it upsets people, I just don't particularly agree with being mad someone was banned from a service on a console that is not publicly available. His console works just fine but of xbl is not open to you yet then that's the facts.

SHADES

Everyone should probably wait and see what happens before completely throwing Microsoft under the bus.

I mean this could be an automated ban that detects unauthorized consoles prior to launch. It could be a case of shoot first and ask questions later. All this pretty much went down late Friday night so I'm guessing a lot of higher ups capable of dealing with a situation like this probably had gone home for the weekend.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely absolving Microsoft. If this ban extends past the 22nd then that's pretty messed up. I just feel like people should wait and see how this plays out over the next couple weeks before we throw stones at Microsoft for this.

There are a lot of variables at play here.

Valid points, but if his ban extends past the 22/11/13 then MS have right royally fucked up!

The product is/was a based online machine - But possibly banned for using it online, makes always online seem a joke right now, but Penello thinks it's we the consumer who isn't ready for always online, the irony lol.

The product is impart a capture/record machine - But possibly banned for using said features.

Either way MS message here is at best poor.

But I'll give the benefit of doubt for now, post 22nd is a different story.

The moment the guy jumped on twitter and started posting pics he was destined to be banned for life. How dumb can you be?

It was nice for us, to get an inside glimpse of the console early, but I mean ... enjoy your 500$ paperweight just to brag that you have the system early dude.

To get that excited just to then get banned before the system even goes live? 500$ wasted? Doesn't seem like it was worth it. Not even close.

fritolay

Everyone step back from your knowledge of the industry here.

Now take the average family that buys their son/daughter an xbox one. It arrives early. The family is excited, they connect it up and start using it. They share their excitement with friends online. Microsoft bans their console.Does this make any sense to people that are just the average consumer why a company would do this to them? Are you supposed to know what you show people when you legally buy a product and know you are supposed to keep it a secret?

I've seen this term anti-consumer thrown so much around here...do you know what it means?

if ms is anti-consumer, they wouldn't be selling this shit at all to anyone. I think you guys need a better term to use like anti-neogaf or anti-entitlement.
Expecting my $500 video game system to function as advertised is considered entitlement? You're damned right this person is entitled to that.

The moment the guy jumped on twitter and started posting pics he was destined to be banned for life. How dumb can you be?

It was nice for us, to get an inside glimpse of the console early, but I mean ... enjoy your 500$ paperweight just to brag that you have the system early dude.

To get that excited just to then get banned before the system even goes live? 500$ wasted? Doesn't seem like it was worth it. Not even close.

He would have been banned if he didn't post stuff on the internet.

MS detected a user online early, not that someone was posting stuff on twitter and youtube.

Zephyrus

Banned
You really need mental help.

I've seen haters of all console brands but your hate is on the deep end. I remember you simply from your history of other posts that follow the same snobbish, overboard, illogical line of thinking.

Sorry for not liking stupidity.

Sorry that I don't act like an abused house wife that gets happy when their abusive husband buys her flowers to say he "loves" her after kicking her in the teeth just two hours late.

Sorry that I don't support and want to see an anti-consumer company burn to the ground.

Sorry for all that. I have no problem with sony, nintendo, valve... even EA. I do have with microsoft. And I don't like stupid people.

You know what they did. You know what they tried to do. And still you bought their console? Don't cry when they ban you. Your stupid ass deserved it.

And FYI I would be singing this tune if nintendo or sony or anyone else pulled this shit too.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So it looks like the reason for his ban was the youtube stuff and not going online with his console. In that case then maybe MS have a valid reason for doing this.

However, Microsoft removed the video under a copyright claim and has banned his console as a result. Another gamer who received a console from an online order claims he has talked to Microsoft and the company has "said it’s mine to do with as I please."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/9/5083780/xbox-one-early-pre-order-deliveries

-PXG-

Wow. The dude seemed really excited and impressed with everything. He had nothing but nice things to say. And they banned him...Not surprised. MS is notorious for this. We all saw it coming. It was only a matter of time.

Good move, MS. Ban the guy who is delivering better PR for the Xbox One than you ever have. God damn, you are so fucking stupid.

It's like the want this thing to fail. It's like they want a repeat of 2006.

liquidtmd

Banned

Interesting. First comment in this news piece is a copy and paste under a different ID from one of our new vocal Juniors...

You bought a ticket to a concert that starts at 7 , you reached the concert hall at 4 and saw that they gates are opened so you sneak in.. Upon entering you see that billed artists are doing a practice performance so you take out your phone to film a video , which you later on posted online, with comments about their performance.. Later concert organizers see you , throw you out of the hall and take down your video

Are they right for throwing you out of the concert hall since you have a valid ticket?

Their limited post history on here and there is consistent at least.

syllogism

Yeah, all he has to do is totally inconvenience himself for enjoying something bought with his money legally from a retail store. That's a total punishment. Not sure how anyone can argue otherwise.
Yes, Target should compensate for any inconvenience caused by their breach of contract with the MS and I'm confident that they would. I can absolutely argue that there is no punishing if he is being compensated.
Why would Target refund the customer's purchase price?
They can't resell this system; it will no longer connect to LIVE.
It worked out of the box when they sold it to him. Now it has core functionality disabled.

Target's plainly at fault for shipping it early... but what you say is a "no problem" remedy is the equivalent of buying a television, throwing a brick through its screen and taking it back to the store for a refund.
Target would refund, or just agree to ship another working system at the agreed date, because the product does not work and the reason it does not work arises from their breach of contract. Even if they aren't contractually obligated to compensate, it is in their best interests to do as doing so minimizes their own liability.

He would have been banned if he didn't post stuff on the internet.

MS detected a user online early, not that someone was posting stuff on twitter and youtube.

True, but he brought a ton of attention to himself and kept it on himself for the duration. He could of easily just downloaded the update, shut up about it, and just did regular things.

Seriously doubt if he just acted cool they would of banned him just for using the system as another user, and not someone posting secrets and unreleased information out to the public like that. Stuff MS was probably saving ( maybe ).

What I find amazing is that Microsoft should know every single console XB1 ID that is attempting to log onto Xbox Live right now. So why aren't they just denying the log on attempt the moment he tried getting online?

This ban had better be temporary.

Shoot first, ask questions later isnt a good policy. Especially for dealing with customers who just dropped $500 on a lemon.

this place is like talking to a wall of hate. any amount of common sense people throw at it just gets swallowed and burned. whether you continue or not with the pitchfork waving, this will get resolved.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sorry for not liking stupidity.

Sorry that I don't act like an abused house wife that gets happy when their abusive husband buys her flowers to say he "loves" her after kicking her in the teeth just two hours late.

Sorry that I don't support and want to see an anti-consumer company burn to the ground.

Sorry for all that. I have no problem with sony, nintendo, valve... even EA. I do have with microsoft. And I don't like stupid people.

You know what they did. You know what they tried to do. And still you bought their console? Don't cry when they ban you. Your stupid ass deserved it.

And FYI I would be singing this tune if nintendo or sony or anyone else pulled this shit too.

Don't care if you would be doing it for any other company. You need help.

Heaven forbid someone has interest in a product that you don't.

velociraptor

They banned the console? Well that sucks. Can't he do anything about this? He paid for a legitimate product, and Microsoft have reared their anti-consumerist head yet again.

UberTag

Everyone step back from your knowledge of the industry here.

Now take the average family that buys their son/daughter an xbox one. It arrives early. The family is excited, they connect it up and start using it. They share their excitement with friends online. Microsoft bans their console.Does this make any sense to people that are just the average consumer why a company would do this to them? Are you supposed to know what you show people when you legally buy a product and know you are supposed to keep it a secret?
This exact scenario has happened a bunch of times in the past.
Parents unknowingly purchase a modded Xbox 360 second-hand for their kids and put it under the Christmas tree.
Console gets banned shortly after they unwrap it and connect it online.
When those people write to corporate and you have to tell them "tough luck, try to get your money back from the person who sold it to ya, have a nice day", it's not a fun conversation.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I will forever call this thing Xbone. You hear that, Larry? XBONE. MS will never get another dime of my gaming dollars. To them, we are all potential sinners who must be strictly managed. I bet if they could, they would punish us by smashing our knuckles with their behemoth power supplies.

tbm24

this place is like talking to a wall of hate. any amount of common sense people throw at it just gets swallowed and burned. whether you continue or not with the pitchfork waving, this will get resolved.
The hate is pretty strong. I just wish I had enough money to spare to buy an Xbox one this month too, better launch games after seeing DR3 and Forza. Next 2 weeks can't come soon enough.

BWJinxing

had DRM been implemented and he did get games, it would be interesting to see how it would impact his ability to use his games.

But thats a hypothetical for another day. Im sure he can exchange it at some point, it is a console ban after all. Sucks. Im sure MS was just balancing the experience for everyone else. Dat Communist Console! XP

fritolay

What I find amazing is that Microsoft should know every single console XB1 ID that is attempting to log onto Xbox Live right now. So why aren't they just denying the log on attempt the moment he tried getting online?

This ban had better be temporary.

This is what I was thinking. If you got your console early, and it gave you a message stating the launch of XBOX One Live is on the 22nd, well OK then.

However this whole thing, and whatever reason, really pisses me off about MS.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So instead of possibly using this as some unpaid virtal marketing to hype up the system days before PS4 launch, they ban the guy and get untold amounts of terrible PR. Just genius.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
They banned the console? Well that sucks. Can't he do anything about this? He paid for a legitimate product, and Microsoft have reared their anti-consumerist head yet again.

It was him posting stuff on youtube that got him banned. I repeat. It was the youtube stuff that got him banned.

Then after, Cerny gets up, Yoshida comes out of nowhere and tags himself in. He tells the dude to prepare for his dualshock 4. Proceeds to ram the dude's ass while reading the PS4 FAQ. Cerny comes back fully naked, says "Get ready for some of my 8GB GDDR5", and starts to work the front. 1080p sex at 60 ballsack slaps per second ensues for hours. Cerny and Yoshida are just about to burst all over the guy's face when Kaz comes out nowhere yelling "$399! $399! $399! $399! $399!". All three proceed to bust ALL KINDS of nuts over the guy's face. Scene fads out...Playstation 4 logo appears.

Hopefully the dood gets unbanned in time for launch. I think anyone with a early PS4 will be ok since PSN is not up yet right?

...how the hell

no

NO

fritolay

This exact scenario has happened a bunch of times in the past.
Parents unknowingly purchase a modded Xbox 360 second-hand for their kids and put it under the Christmas tree.
Console gets banned shortly after they unwrap it and connect it online.
When those people write to corporate and you have to tell them "tough luck, try to get your money back from the person who sold it to ya, have a nice day", it's not a fun conversation.

Yes that sucks, but that is when you buy something used. This is brand new 500 dollar product shipped from major retailer.

So imagine that scenario, and the family says nope we are not buying a used console like we did the 360 and going through that again! We are going to buy a new one and pre-order! Now what do you tell this family?

Kinyou

This is just fucked up. Like super fucked up. I hope he's just banned until the actual release date but I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't give a shit

Top Bottom