• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the DS came out 10 years ago

Nyoro SF

To me this is the greatest console of all time. The game diversity, the double screen, I could go on and on but I consider it pretty much exactly what I wanted out of a handheld at the time.

At one point I owned over 50 games for it.

One day I come home from Jr. High and my dad tells me "The x Gamestop called and told me they have one in stock, if we leave now we might be able to grab it, go get your giftcards and I'll drive you. I go upstairs and open the drawer where my giftcards were and in there was the DS. He had already gotten it for me. Awesome day.
Good guy dad. I love remembering stories like this from when I was a kid. What a great story.

The DS and the PSP were pretty much the center of my gaming life for about five or six years. The DS was such a monster with its software reach. I miss the nutty JPN games that it had.

JordanN

Banned
Best alarm clock I ever owned.
iBAUC4Dmf6R4x.JPG

Still disappointed 3DS dropped that feature.

I didn't get my DS until Christmas 2007 when I was 11, but I loved it so much. Obviously, since I was a kid, I only got money for games for Christmas or my birthday (and occasionally my grandpa would buy me a game I wanted if I got good grades in school).

I get shivers just thinking about all the games I was introduced to on the DS. The DS was my introduction to Dragon Quest, Shin Megami Tensei, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Grand Theft Auto (not even joking, Chinatown Wars was my first GTA), WarioWare, and so many others.

Fucking Hell I still love the DS, even today I'll sometimes check the DS games at GameStop or whatever, to see if they've got any gems.

Oh yeah, I was thinking about making an anniversary thread. Glad you did it for the best handheld ever! (Though the 3DS is very much up there, too.)

I remember the day it came out. G4 TechTV had their entire broadcast that day in a Nintendo DS frame, with the top screen showing normal scheduled programming and the bottom screen showing DS games all day (I think it was Cinematech).

The past ten years I played so much NDS and PSP.

I can't even remember all the games I played on it. I wish the 3DS had all the crazy things that released on the NDS : Ouendan, Elite Beat Agents, Taiko No Tatsujin, Ghost Trick, Solatorobo.

and I think Suikoden Tierkreis is one of the best RPG of the system.

D-Man

Oh jeez, that long already? What an amazing system. A good amount of my favorite games and series started on the DS. Definitely my favorite handheld of all time.

Spikeboy

Neo Member
Wow, really? I'm still playing my first DS lite even though its right hinge is broken... It's a really great system, I just wish I could've played a DS game online more than once.

MrBadger

Nice coincidence. I just recently dug out my DS lite to play some Picross 3D and maybe to finally finish Mother 3 after dropping off so many times.

I am positively surprised by the fact that the battery is as good as ever despite heavy use over all those years since I bought it. Can't say the same for most modern pieces of electronics.

And as usual a special shoutout for my favorite game on the platform:

75191_front.jpg

That's one of my favourite games on the platform too. I was really lucky to get to play this when it launched being in the UK. We had an independent game shop who would import DS games from America and sell them ahead of UK release. Then Nintendo stopped supplying them. That was a shame.

Rocket Slime's multiplayer was some of the most fun I had on DS and I think it's a real shame that there's a third game I'll never be able to properly experience.

Hale-XF11

I wish I could love the 3DS as much as I loved the DS. The DS still stands as my favorite gaming system of all time, but mostly because of the support and amazing amount of great original software it received.

Impotaku

You two, is there somewhere a good, sufficient list of import recommendations? I am particularly interested in more under the radar games, like the excellent Ganbare Goemon game or Coropata for example.

Spieler Eins, wish I could help you. :( The game was really cheap for a good while at VGP, but I see it is out of stock now.

Ooh good choices Goemon is really fun on on the DS it's sad that Konami stopped making Goemon games the DS version was the last one they ever did. Coropata is another really good one however that game is now pretty expensive if you want a new copy it will cost you well over £200+ a used copy is a lot cheaper it goes for about £40

Other import recommendations are

Nanashi no game
Nanashi no game me
Keroro RPG
Came center CX 1 & 2
Minna no conveni
All 3 taiko no tatsujin games
Okaeri chibi robo
Ninokuni shikoku no madoushi
Blazer drive
Kochikame

Depends on your Japanese ability weither you could manage those on the list but they are all ones i really enjoyed, I seek out the weirder games the DS library has some amazing ones.

trixx

best handheld console. I remember when i bought my ds back in 05 with super mario 64 ds. My first console i've ever purchased myself and it's my favourite. DS Lite is the best edition

I remember a lot of people talking shit about it before release. Brought it to school with nintendogs as I was the only peron who owned it, and everyone purchased one afterwards.

TaiKH92

Banned
The time between Mario 64 DS and now is greater than the time between Mario 64 DS and Mario 64.

That means it's time for another Mario 64 remake, Mario 64 HD

My favorite ds game is Pokémon Platinum
though I haven't played The World Ends with you, the game that would obviously be my #1 if I had played it

I somehow managed to convince my mother to drive me around on launch day to buy one, and I miraculously found one. Picked up the DS and Mario 64DS with my savings. I was 13 then. Holy shit.

I had already played SM64 on my N64 but all the additions and Metroid First Hunt blew my pubescent mind. Those visuals!!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think this was the first thing I ever connected to via wifi. Which blows my mind... wifi feels like its been ubiquitous longer than a decade, but no it really hasn't.

Azure J

This is legitimately one of the first real "I feel old" moments I've had in gaming in a long while. DS was such a blast. I'll never forget the near universal 180 the system had on the back of Kirby Canvas Curse. Imagine that it was a Kirby game that managed to sell the universe on the system. :lol

Edit: This system came out when I was a sophomore in high school.

jackal27

Banned
My favorite system of all time.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I picked one of these dudes up on launch day. That first year sure was rough though. Seems to be a trend Nintendo has stuck with ever since, haha.

Azuran

Banned
Bought it just to play this:

1841700-box_awarsds.png

I wasn't expecting so much greatness from this system back in 2005. Still use my original DS as my alarm.

10 years already... Damn.
I asked an uncle to bring one from the US, much cheaper there. He picked up the last one they had in a store, and then I bought Mario 64 DS here. It was amazing.

Oooh man, so many games. I was one of the people who thought the idea of a two screened handheld was just ridiculous and the thing would flop out of the gate and die (all that "third pillar" talk). Bought one on launch day on a whim mostly because I felt like playing Mario 64 at the time (and I still had extra student loan money).

Probably ended up being my most played system ever. Just now building up my collection again after trading the system and games in over the years for newer stuff, as I often did before I had a real job making actual money. Been having a blast playing through games like Dawn of Sorrow, Mega Man ZX/Advent, the Ace Attorney games, etc.,etc., again as I slowly purchase them.

I'll probably pick up an original model one I've had my eye on at my local GameStop once I have some free cash. I only ended up upgrading to a Lite back in the day because I left the thing next to my bed and stepped on it when I woke up the next morning, wrecking the top screen. For as great as the Lite is, I've definitely got a soft spot for that original body style.

SalvaPot

The first videogame console I purchased with my own money. Saving for months to get enough for it and Super Mario 64 DS, putting all my money little by little inside a Yu-Gi-Oh! Starter Joey Deck Box (The green large one with the handle, I still have it)...

The day it released I was so sad since I was short the tax money, I was 13 years old and somehow forgot about it, since in mexico tax is already included in most purchased, but in the USA where I bought it that is not the case. My Dad paid the tax for me but he was sure to let me know that he expected me to pay him back, I wouldn't have it any other way and I did just a few weeks later.

So many fond memories of the DS Phat. It got a heavy hit and one of his hinges broke, but I still played trough it religiously. Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, Kirby Super Star Ultra, TWEWY, Pokemon Pearl and Platinum,NSMB, Mario Kart DS, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, and so on. The top screen ultimately died due to the broken hinge, but still used the screen below to play Pokemon Ruby.

I ended up replacing it with a DS Lite, but I still tried to fix it by myself. I opened and checked it, I had no idea what I was doing but I had fun exploring the insides of the console. I still have it over my game collection, hastily put together and in a sealed box. Maybe I'll try to repair it again, this time with the actual parts needed...

Happy Birthday DS, may your years never end.

Loptous

Ooh good choices Goemon is really fun on on the DS it's sad that Konami stopped making Goemon games the DS version was the last one they ever did. Coropata is another really good one however that game is now pretty expensive if you want a new copy it will cost you well over £200+ a used copy is a lot cheaper it goes for about £40

Other import recommendations are

Nanashi no game
Nanashi no game me
Keroro RPG
Came center CX 1 & 2
Minna no conveni
All 3 taiko no tatsujin games
Okaeri chibi robo
Ninokuni shikoku no madoushi
Blazer drive
Kochikame

Depends on your Japanese ability weither you could manage those on the list but they are all ones i really enjoyed, I seek out the weirder games the DS library has some amazing ones.
GG Series Collection + is also an amazing collection of minigames (some of which can be dowloaded from the DSiWare).
Had way more fun with this title than I had with the GCCX games.

elCroux

Banned
Never upgraded from my phat. Still going. Battery life is down to an hour though. Still have a few more games to go and I'm done. Wicked handheld.

POLARIUM!

I really loved the DS, even if it was quite a clunky, unattractive unit. I can't even count the amount of hours I played it. I know I put in hundreds of hours into Animal Crossing alone! So many good games. It's an important and classic gaming device and I'm sure it will always be remembered fondly.

Happy 10 years, DS!

Dot-N-Run

The DS is the only system I have ever bought at launch, and what a system it is. Even after owning it for a decade I am still buying and trying to catch up on so many games. I still need to get a copy of that hotel dusk sequel from europe...

MarkusRJR

10 years and I'm still finding great games and hidden gems. Literally just bought a new lime green DS lite. Can't wait to play it for 10 more fun years.

ah_hia

And I still have quite the backlog for it. Still have to play The world ends with you, mario and luigi (all 3), Dragon quest 6, Final fantasy 3 and 4 and heroes of light, strange journey, etrian odyssey (all 3), digital devil saga for ds...way too many good games.

GG Series Collection + is also an amazing collection of minigames (some of which can be dowloaded from the DSiWare).
Had way more fun with this title than I had with the GCCX games.

Yeah, GG Series Collection + is a fantastic compilation. Shame it required so much grinding to unlock all the games though.

Willing

Neo Member
I loved the GBA and I've grown to love the DS even more. I imported one from across the pond (I live in Europe), they were region free after all, so I had it a while before my friends bought theirs. I started out with Mario 64 DS and the Metroid demo, so much fun. Once Mario Kart DS was released the system really got rolling and there was never a shortage of anything to play.

I remember Metroid Prime Hunters and Tetris DS were released on the same day. Some crazy online multiplayer that week!

Call me crazy, but I really grew to like the original design. I imported one from Japan with Wario Touch and though it was a weirdly chunky beast it felt like a handheld console, rather than something that was aiming to be sleek and socially acceptable to whip out on the bus.

There was something strangely utilitarian about the old design I liked, and mine's still going strong despite never having had a case and suffering being thrown into a bag routinely.

DevilFox

My last portable console and the best I've ever had, the PS2 of portable console.
Great variety, great average quality, crazy amount of titles. Impossible not to like it.

My wife imported my DS from Japan for Christmas in 2004. Mario 64 DS however did not arrive until the 28th if I remember correctly. Now that was a few of the most frustrating days ever. It doesn't feel like it was 10 years ago.

Such a fantastic library of games. Happy Birthday DS.

Damn, I still remember getting it as a kid. WarioWare Touched was so much fun. Super Mario 64 DS became my favourite though, and Advance Wars: Dark Conflict my most played. Those three are my favourite of the system.

This is the console that birthed the Etrian Odyssey franchise, making it the greatest of all time.

I bought mine at launch with Super Mario 64 DS and Asphalt Urban GT (which I ended up trading for Ridge Racer DS) For as much shit as RR got, it was a decent port of Ridge Racer 64.

I still have a working phat unit, it's now my little bro's but it still works fine.

I bought it when it was bundled with Mario Kart DS for £99 brand new, prices like that will never happen again.

NeoFaff

The original DS is the best DS. Everything after it has managed to dig into my hands and the GBA carts stick out of the bottom :p

I got my DS on launch with Asphalt GT. Horrible looking game but it was really fun to play - I even got the F1 car and Superbike! Sad I know.

Top Bottom