• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the NXE is almost upon us, and everyone knows what's in it, but what's missing?

Banned
scorpian007 said:
Apparently you can do this with NXE
You can only remove games with 0 gamerscore, but it only checks for that zero. It doesn't actually check to see if you have achievements for a game.

For example, I have 9/9 achievements (iirc) for Quake II, but it doesn't give out gamerscore and NXE lets me delete it.

Given that you could delete a game that has achievements, I don't see why they don't let you remove games that do have gamerscore.

scorpian007 said:
Apparently you can do this with NXE

No it's only games with 0 gamerscore :(

65536 said:
You can only remove games with 0 gamerscore, but it only checks for that zero. It doesn't actually check to see if you have achievements for a game.

For example, I have 9/9 achievements (iirc) for Quake II, but it doesn't give out gamerscore and NXE lets me delete it.

Given that you could delete a game that has achievements, I don't see why they don't let you remove games that do have gamerscore.

Yeah I agree, I don't understand it either. All that would happen is that the gamerscore from that game would disappear from your overall value.

Banned
As for things missing:
  • Option to disable avatars/avoid having one.
  • 1080p native interface.
  • Fast-forward/rewind/resume music.
  • Refunds for people that bought themes. (they're really terrible in NXE)
  • 1080p24 output for NTSC DVD/HD DVD playback for HDMI enabled 360s.
  • Improved DVD playback quality.
  • Fix the photo viewer.
  • Allow 50Hz output over VGA.
  • Allow the use of standard USB devices to transfer saves.
  • The option to copy music/photos/movies off USB/network devices onto the hard drive.
  • Improve voice chat quality. (audio quality still sucks compared to the original Xbox)
  • More notification options. E.g. being able to choose to only see achievement and invite pop-ups rather than every time someone signs in.
  • FLAC support.
  • Option to sign in while appearing offline automatically. (currently you have to disable auto sign-in and manually set yourself offline, then sign in)
  • Disable notifications when appearing offline, like you get when your status is set to busy.
  • Update the HD DVD interface to match the NXE one.

I like the idea of having a game disc in the HD DVD drive as well. It would be nice to have two games in the system at once. Maybe just use the HD DVD one to verify a game off the HDD if the transfer rate isn't good enough to play games.

MotorbreathX said:
I haven't had the chance to check yet but can I use my messenger pad to search through my music collection yet? That'd be real nice with gigs of music and I hate scrolling so much. Might just have to name all the artists I really like with a number at the beginning. (1-Metallica...) Dumb though.
It's not what you want, but do you know that you can use the triggers to go a page at a time on the list?

-Ability to select your statue before you sign in, or at least sign in with the settings you had last time you were on XBL
-MKV support
-Notification pop-ups, be able to select friends/achievements separately (or just keep achievements even in busy mode)
-BBC iPlayer, since the IPTV service with BT never materialised

Quasar

White Man said:
I'm not sure if there's enough demand to make it worthwhile. It would take a considerable amount of effort, and anyone that is already using XBL is extremely, extremely likely to already have a PC.

I think the lack of a browser is just functional practicality. It would require more development and support than it would be worth.

I wonder if it would be possible to build one with XNA. Of course without flash it would be pretty useless.

Hunahan

Banned
Paranoid_Robot said:
Let me delete games with gamerscore from my gamercard.

They can make this option very hard to get in the menu, but I have lots of rented games and games that have been in my system for about 5 minutes with 0-50 gamerscore that I never play and sometimes get invites to. Kind of annoying as they just sit there and I have never really owned them.
Yeah. I've been asking for this for 3 years now. :lol

I'd kind of given up hope until they announced that you can ditch the 0's. One more step, MS...make it happen....

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
White Man said:
I'm not sure if there's enough demand to make it worthwhile. It would take a considerable amount of effort, and anyone that is already using XBL is extremely, extremely likely to already have a PC.

I think the lack of a browser is just functional practicality. It would require more development and support than it would be worth.
I love watching Hulu on my PS3 in my living room...it's definitely worth the investment. Guess MS doesn't see it that way.

Dizzy-4U

I stream all my music from my Pc since I have my music folder shared in Windows Media Player, I wish there was a "folder" option in the 360 to select the music. There is "artist", "Genre", and some other useless options and it's a pain in the ass to navigate through them since all the ID tags are different. I'm very organized with my music, but not by tags, just by folders. So it's all messed up in the 360 and takes a long time to find what you're looking for.

Ironically, the windows media player share function works with my PS3. I have no issues there since there is a "navigate through folders option".

Blimblim

The Inside Track
drizzle said:
WHY they CAN'T do this? It's just 1080 with black borders!

God dammit, just do it!
It looks like they can't go further than 1920*1080 in terms of memory for the scaling. Going to 1200 would use 10% more RAM and I guess (just a guess) they don't have that much memory available anymore.

I thought Avatars were optional? Why are people still complaining about them/wanting optional avatars?

My only wish is that my game demos and arcade games all appear at once. WTF is this shit where if you have more than 10 they load into the list one by one and you have to wait.

Sean said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiuGmht0ZPY (go to ~4:30).

It was a really intuitive and super fast way to enter text on a virtual keyboard, I'm surprised nobody else ripped them off.

you could have just put #t=4m30s at the end of your link and it would load at 4:30 auto, just saying.

watership

PSGames said:
Wat. Practically everything in this thread would be a massive improvement to what we have now.

Without knowing the backend, legal or engineering involved. I'm pretty sure the ff/rew issue isn't a technical one. The copying to HD is surely a way to prevent exploits. The list goes on. The only people who know what is and what isn't possible on the 360, are the Microsoft engineers.

PSGames

watership said:
Without knowing the backend, legal or engineering involved. I'm pretty sure the ff/rew issue isn't a technical one. The copying to HD is surely a way to prevent exploits. The list goes on. The only people who know what is and what isn't possible on the 360, are the Microsoft engineers.

The same way you can stream mp3s and videos from your PC you should be able to copy them. There is no exploit. It's only copying over the same files it's already reading over the network anyway.

Cdammen

A dash (the one you call up with the guide button) with a higher resolution. Right now it's all blurry and makes the whole experience inconsistent.

watership

PSGames said:
The same way you can stream mp3s and videos from your PC you should be able to copy them. There is no exploit. It's only copying over the same files it's already reading over the network anyway.

The fact that it's technically probalby easy to do means there is another reason for them not doing it. It's probably legal reasons.

watership

Cdammen said:
A dash (the one you call up with the guide button) with a higher resolution. Right now it's all blurry and makes the whole experience inconsistent.

What's blurry? The new guide blades?

MCD

gold subscription can be used for up to 3 accounts.

good way to increase value i say but it will never happen.

Dunlop

chubigans said:
I love watching Hulu on my PS3 in my living room...it's definitely worth the investment. Guess MS doesn't see it that way.

Just got a PS3 and got all excited when I say this.

Still blocks me out because I'm in Canada (&*(^&* CRTC

Anyone know a trick around this?

I have the bootleg NXE and it is pretty nice so far

Cdammen

watership said:
What's blurry? The new guide blades?
The guide as a whole. It's rendered in a lower resolution and it is upscaled making it fuzzy and ugly. Or my eyesight is bad.

pCeSlAyEr said:
Ability to customize the NXE colors
This would be cool.

saunderez

Cdammen said:
The guide as a whole. It's rendered in a lower resolution and it is upscaled making it fuzzy and ugly. Or my eyesight is bad.
It's most likely due to the limited resources put aside for the OS. If that's the case they'll never be able to change it because games need those resources.

Flunkie

Banned

Cdammen

saunderez said:
It's most likely due to the limited resources put aside for the OS. If that's the case they'll never be able to change it because games need those resources.
They seem to be using bitmaps for the UI. Why not make it all vector based? Then stretching and resizing would work, new graphical themes would be easily added and the resources would be spared because there would be no images to cache.

I'm no tech head this is just a thing I've been thinking about :)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
RuGalz said:
Some apps/features coming with NXE really shouldn't be Gold member only imo.

I never knew this because I don't know shit, lol. I've not been paying attention.

Re: Browser.

Didn't Microsoft once say that they probably wouldn't release a browser for XBox, because they think it's encroaching too far into the PC space and they're keen to keep an obvious separation, or something to that effect?

pCeSlAyEr

Cdammen said:

This would be cool.
My wife took 1 look at the NXE and was like "WTF I hope I can change it from that ugly green".

Bluth54

Xun said:
Is it still locked at 100 friends? If so that needs to be changed.
My guess is that Xbox 1 games are locked at 100 friends, so as long as Microsoft lets people play Xbox 1 games on Live they wont increase the friend list size.

Bluth54 said:
My guess is that Xbox 1 games are locked at 100 friends, so as long as Microsoft lets people play Xbox 1 games on Live they wont increase the friend list size.
You can't play Xbox 1 games on live. As soon as you pop a xbox 1 game in the ingame guide doesn't work anymore.

Top Bottom