• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Xbox One launches today in Japan...

Izuna

Banned
Honestly though, why do we even still follow sales in Japan? The console market has been dead there for almost a decade. Is it just for the LOL's?

Lmao. The Internet belongs to the West amiright? GAF is an American website, no one from Japan comes here. Right?

--

Also if it doesn't do well but they still want to invest in the market, I might get more awesome games to play like Raiden or Blue Dragon.

Hell Ninja Gaiden was an Xbox exclusive (alongside DoA3) and those were amazing.

Kssio_Aug

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120512001906/victorious/images/d/de/LEAVE_BRITNEY_ALONE!_gif.gif

If you can't make fun of a mega corporation having some difficulties with a new product release, what can you make fun of?

You can make fun of everything, its up to you. Sorry if I dont have that bad sense of fun with those forced jokes being repeated all the time through dozens of pages. I mean, I laugh at a gif and another but soon its just not fun anymore when people dont know when to stop.

Also, I dont know what are you trying to imply with that gif.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
So that's your in depth assessment of the situation, is it? Japanese gamers should buy an Xbox one out of some random guilt about not buying enough foreign electronics? Nevermind the near complete lack of advertising, the fact that the console was clearly designed with an America-first approach, is underpowered compared to the PS4 and the fact that the little goodwill MS gained last gen was probably squandered after the Japanese Xbox 360 games dried up.

Let's turn this around a little. What is #1 in the sales charts in the US right now? On average, how often is the #1 selling game a western developed one? You know why that is? Because the games are targeted at western audiences. And true, those games also sell in Japan, but it's only natural that games created in Japan by Japanese people will naturally appeal more to Japanese people.

Yes, it's a tough market to crack, but it's not impossible. Apple has proven this by designing products that are desirable to Japanese consumers and marketing them well. Microsoft?

billg-burger.md.jpg

Take your nonsensical accusations of Xenophobia elsewhere. Japanese people buy western products all the time. It just so happens that few western electronics companies produce products that appeal to Japanese consumers.

viewtopic.php

Apple is always the default defense against claims of xenophobia. I don't want to derail the thread but just look at their immigration policies and how they treat koreans born in japan and foreign workers

Having said that I don't think xbone's launch line up is all that impressive. Last gen at least they tried with jrpgs and shmups and they were still shunned.

p3tran

Banned
Doesn't/didn't stop people from buying Wii U, or Vita.
Should we be policing for my feelings?
I don't expect people to share my opinions, or love for something.
It would be unintellegent to think my feelings should be protected because a product I like is getting flogged.

point me to japan vita/wiiU launch threads that were like this please. I just want to make sure you are talking for real, then I'll see what I can do for your feelings.

edit: anyway, has anybody found a way we can download the Chaos Child demo yet?

Futaba

Aw man, that sucks.

Indeed, means venturing there again in the morning and an hour or so of work, hate Machida during the day, nobody seems to have any sense of consideration, and the only people not walking in to you are the ones following you trying to sell you something or force-hand you a spammy tissue

ethomaz

Banned
You can make fun of everything, its up to you. Sorry if I dont have that bad sense of fun with those forced jokes being repeated all the time through dozens of pages. I mean, I laugh at a gif and another but soon its just not fun anymore when people dont know when to stop.

So what are you doing in GAF? I like this place because the amazing fun jokes and gifs ;)

PS. Not a critic to you... I'm just sharing why I love GAF.

I wonder how MS will try and spin sold-through numbers next month.

Or maybe they'll go one lower, like figures for consoles 'manufactured for the Japan market'.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Haha what the fuck?

So posting of my experience of visiting shops in Japan where I never see people in the Xbox corner somehow makes me a racist?

I never said you were racist. I said "take your accusations of xenophobia elsewhere". I strongly suggest you look up the words "accusations" and "xenophobia". And I live in Japan and seldom see people in the Xbox corner either. But that's not what I was saying.

Sony/Nintendo are huge classic names in the industry, that was my point.

Yes. They are. As are Microsoft. Not sure what this has to do with anything I've said.

Finally, your last paragraph is some the dumbest shit I have heard.

I suggest you read my posts again, because I think you're failing to grasp the point I was making. You started off by saying it was a shame that people aren't interested in something that isn't Sony and Nintendo. You then went on to say it would be a shame if you only like western games. That right there is an implication that the Japanese are only interested in Sony and Nintendo. You might not have meant it that way, but that's how it comes across.

This whole "MS treating Japan as an afterthought" idea is bonkers.

Listen. I live here. I've seen next to no advertising. People in this very thread are calling this a soft launch.

wikipedia said:
A soft launch is the release of a website, hotel, or other product or service to a limited audience. Soft-launching is a method for gathering data on a product's usage and acceptance in the marketplace, before making it generally available as a hard launch or grand opening. Companies may choose a soft launch to test the viability of a product or to fine tune a product before implementing a larger marketing effort.

If that isn't treating Japan like an afterthought, what is?

First of all, it isn't true.

Well that's settled that.
/s

Second of all, even if it was, you're basically explaining grounds for xenophobia.

What???

Okay, before we go any further, do us all a favour and look up the definition of Xenophobia.

You may be disinterested in Xbox titles and call them "dudebro" but all you are doing is offending my decision to prefer its exclusives.

I'm speaking from the perspective of the Japanese market. I don't care what you do or do not prefer. Microsoft's biggest franchises tend to involve guns and explosions. Typical dudebro fodder. I'm not taking a swipe at you or your preferences, but I'm saying that those games are more popular in western countries.

Forza 2/3 only had GT4 (a PS2 port) and a prologue to compete with for an extremely long time. Hence my example. But yeah whatever. Continue to post reaction gifs and pictures because you cannot hold any sensible discussion with your MS bashing.

Hahahaha. I am not microsoft bashing. I'm just trying to explain to you why the Xbox is not very popular in Japan. And GT4 was never ported. To this day it's only playable on PS2. And I happen to like Forza, but not enough to buy a whole console for. And the reaction gif wasn't even aimed at you. It was aimed at the guy who thought fake Kaz was real Kaz.

Apple is always the default defense against claims of xenophobia. I don't want to derail the thread but just look at their immigration policies and how they treat koreans born in japan and foreign workers

Yes. Their immigration policies and the government's attitudes towards people of certain nations are nothing short of backwards. As for the foreign workers part, I fall into that category (as do many of my friends) and I (fortunately) haven't been treated badly.

Oh, and as a side note. Japan is far from being the only country with backwards immigration policies. The only reason I came here was because my own country's immigration authority gave me two choices: Live here without your wife or bugger off. I chose the latter.

Kssio_Aug

So what are you doing in GAF? I like this place because the amazing fun jokes and gifs ;)

Because I like to discuss about games and sales. And I like the gifs and jokes too, when theyre fun.

Tbh, I laughed of some pics here. The thing is that now the thread is a "quote the same pic and laugh" festival.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
People are catching feelings about making fun of the Xbox in Japan. What happened to you, gaf?

ymmv

Banned
I really don't want to be the source of a rumor I cannot personally verify, but a friend of mine in downtown tokyo is at one of the larger launch events and is telling me some kinda worrying things lol

If you didn't want to tell, you wouldn't have posted. Fess up, spill the beans. What did you hear??

Caayn

Any way to download this on our console¿
1. Switch the console to the Japanese marketplace.
2. Reboot
3. Wait.
4. Download demo (2.29GB)
4.5 Switch back to your own marketplace if you want.
5. Wait some more.
6. Enjoy the demo.

PS. Not a critic to you... I'm just sharing why I love GAF.

Maybe...just maybe...he likes video games. Maybe he likes playing video games. And he likes discussing video games.

Maybe.

Also its not about not laughing its just...its not that funny. Its a tired joke made before we have anything to laugh at. Its like posting an arrow in the knee gif and being like "Why don't you find this new and refreshing joke hilarious?"

Do we have any actual pictures of an empty launch? I'm more than willing to have a good laugh about that.

Famitsu review scores for xbone games:

Crimson Dragon (XBO) – 7/7/6/7 [27/40]
Dead Rising 3 (XBO) – 8/9/7/9 [33/40]
Forza Motorsport 5 (XBO) – 7/9/8/9 [33/40]
Kinect Sports Rivals (XBO) – 6/7/7/7 [28/40]
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood (XBO) – 7/8/8/7 [30/40]
Ryse: Son of Rome (XBO) – 8/7/7/7 [29/40]
Zumba Fitness: World Party (XBO) – 7/7/7/6 [27/40]

Source: Gematsu

Not enough monies I see

This also happened to Kirby Wii game in the UK. Although that was mostly because they put the party in Elephant & Castle lmao. I saw the location a week before the event and thought "what parent would ever take their kids there? I wouldn't even go."
That was not a launch party. It was a bench via a collaboration with a erm, knitting graffiti group I guess. It certainly is unique and made sense for the game. Interesting to see if NOE do the same for Yarn Yoshi...

If you can navigate twitter back to the time, I think all the stuff went in an hour.

cakely

Oh, it's the "leave britney alone" meme. Totally appropriate, it turns out.

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe...just maybe...he likes video games. Maybe he likes playing video games. And he likes discussing video games.

Maybe.
Hummmmm... that exactly what we are doing here plus having fun at the same time.

GAF is GAF.

I don't know why people want GAF to be like dozen of boring and uninteresting video game forum on the Cloud.

You need to stop to cry and accept GAF inside you.

Futaba

If you didn't want to tell, you wouldn't have posted. Fess up, spill the beans. What did you hear??

Just going to state this again, take this with a pinch of salt as I can't personally verify.
But he basically told me that three of the people buying xbox ones were previously wearing the green xbox one tshirts and staff lanyard.

p3tran

Banned
1. Switch the console to the Japanese marketplace.
2. Reboot
3. Wait.
4. Download demo (2.29GB)
4.5 Switch back to your own marketplace if you want.
5. Wait some more.
6. Enjoy the demo.

I tried doing that earlier but I still couldnt see Japan being offered as a location...?
what am I missing Caayn?

SgtCobra

People are catching feelings about making fun of the Xbox in Japan. What happened to you, gaf?
Brand loyalty? Idk. We tend to do stuff like this to every console manufacturer, look at the Vita and the Wii U.
It almost feels personal for some individuals.

rrc1594

Just going to state this again, take this with a pinch of salt as I can't personally verify.
But he basically told me that three of the people buying xbox ones were previously wearing the green xbox one tshirts and staff lanyard.

LMAO

LogN

As someone who has many friends in Japan, this is their general consensus on Xbox One: "Honestly, it's too damn big, everything else is small and compact and then you have this." It just doesn't fit their ascetic, this is of course coming from my four Japanese friends. Obviously opinions vary :)

Thats pretty low if thats true.

EGOMON

I really don't want to be the source of a rumor I cannot personally verify, but a friend of mine in downtown tokyo is at one of the larger launch events and is telling me some kinda worrying things lol

I think many of us expecting a disastrous launch for Xbone so do tell did nobody showed up at all? or just handful people are around?
Edit: answered

Caayn

I tried doing that earlier but I still couldnt see Japan being offered as a location...?
what am I missing Caayn?
Change the language first ;) When you select Japanese (日本語) everything is done and simply reboot the console with the most right button.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I get that the xbox brand is not so hot in Japan but do we really gotta beat a dead horse?
yeah go ahead, I know what you're going to do

darilaho

Banned
I have a feeling MS invested maybe 1% in XBO of what they did with 360 in Japan, no big exclusives (sans Scalebound) or JRPGs, not even a TGS conference... makes me kinda nostalgic about first few years of 360 in Japan, number of japanese exclusives system got back then seem so surreal now.

Anyway if anyone cares looks like Chaos;Child got demo released on japanese gamestore, new site also http://chaoschild.jp/

Chaos-Child-Demo-Out-Now-JP_Box-Art.jpg

I just wait for the PS4 version.
They said it's exclusive but
affair01_img1.jpg

look the clearly Vaio logo

GutZ31

point me to japan vita/wiiU launch threads that were like this please. I just want to make sure you are talking for real, then I'll see what I can do for your feelings.

edit: anyway, has anybody found a way we can download the Chaos Child demo yet?

Sorry, can't. Those threads were official, so people were actually hyped.
No japanese launch threads found as well, so can't post those.
The non-official threads get like this, and it is pretty much expected to hear jokes ranging from "PS4/Vita has no games", "wiiulookingwindow.jpg" or "Wii U is dead".

Does that give everyone a right to criticize the Xbox Japan Launch? Nope.
But criticism is expected for most things that have had a hard time in the past.
Xbox has had a hard time in the past to make an entry into the Japanese market in a meaningful way, and it is pretty much expected that the new console will follow a similar path.
Edit, oh wait, someone found the Japanese launch thread for Vita!
Here, go ahead and have a read of the Japanese Vita launch thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455283

Zedox

As someone who has many friends in Japan, this is their general consensus on Xbox One: "Honestly, it's too damn big, everything else is small and compact and then you have this." It just doesn't fit their ascetic, this is of course coming from my four Japanese friends. Obviously opinions vary :)

True but so was the PS3 at launch...and that sold. But yea, obviously opinions will vary.

watership

The PS3 was larger and heavier. I never bought that reasoning.

Caayn

I get that the xbox brand is not so hot in Japan but do we really gotta beat a dead horse?
yeah go ahead, I know what you're going to do
I'm more surprised that people find a joke that has already been told a thousand times still funny, and feel the need to derail a thread with it. This goes for all the console war jokes not just the ones aimed at Xbox.

Hummmmm... that exactly what we are doing here plus having fun at the same time.

GAF is GAF.

I don't know why people want GAF to be like dozen of boring and uninteresting video game forum on the Cloud.

You need to stop to cry and accept GAF inside you.

Alright I'm not going to ding you on your English, clearly its not your first language.

But what the hell does this sentence mean? Gotta clarify for me.

Izuna

Banned
I never said you were racist. I said "take your accusations of xenophobia elsewhere". I strongly suggest you look up the words "accusations" and "xenophobia". And I live in Japan and seldom see people in the Xbox corner either. But that's not what I was saying.

Ugh, making me grab my type cover for this...

I know what xenophobia means. How you got xenophobia from my post makes no sense. I took it as you calling me racist because hey, you're telling me I am misjudging Japanese people's interest in foreign technology. You said you live in Japan, you know how much word of mouth is used by companies there. What with the megaphones and paying high school girls to basically make up trends via text and such. The Japanese are far more likely to "lol MS" or "lol anything" if it fails to work for the general consensus, because popular opinion becomes even more popular.

Yes. They are. As are Microsoft. Not sure what this has to do with anything I've said.

You're again, completely and deliberately misunderstanding what I initial point was. Sony/Nintendo/Sega etc. are the big names in gaming. Xbox isn't popular, so no one is talking about it, so people don't get to know this event is happen and even if they did, they aren't told that it is a good product so they don't waste their time. We're talking about a country where people protest KPop to be removed from being aired on television because it's "Korean" rather than deciding for themselves if they like it or not. If you want me to talk about xenophobia, I would move away from video games and Microsoft hardware/software that Japanese people DO in fact enjoy once they get their hands on it. Hating Xbox makes no sense, enjoying its games should be taken in isolation, and they don't get the chance.

I suggest you read my posts again, because I think you're failing to grasp the point I was making. You started off by saying it was a shame that people aren't interested in something that isn't Sony and Nintendo. You then went on to say it would be a shame if you only like western games. That right there is an implication that the Japanese are only interested in Sony and Nintendo. You might not have meant it that way, but that's how it comes across.

Hold up. The point YOU were making? You attacked me (for the wrong reasons). You haven't made any point. You're just "calling me out". I'm telling you, that you are wrong to do so.

What is with you being so offended? I said ENGLISH entertainment, not western games. I am currently watching BBC Luther on Netflix. If it wasn't for America speaking the same language I wouldn't know much about X-Men etc. same way I don't know much about Japanese popular culture or what trendy games they have over there that don't get released over here.

To say MS shoudn't bother would mean Japanese people never get to try out Halo or hell, Titanfall, Minecraft, what have you. This has NOTHING to do with xenophobia.
Listen. I live here. I've seen next to no advertising. People in this very thread are calling this a soft launch.

I saw tons of advertising when I was there in April. Not gigantic adverts on the huge screens of Shinjuku, but in the game shops and MSN JP Titanfall was everywhere.

Okay, before we go any further, do us all a favour and look up the definition of Xenophobia.

Xenophobia is fear of those aliens that have acid for blood right?

I'm speaking from the perspective of the Japanese market. I don't care what you do or do not prefer. Microsoft's biggest franchises tend to involve guns and explosions. Typical dudebro fodder. I'm not taking a swipe at you or your preferences, but I'm saying that those games are more popular in western countries.

This is massively naive. Look at the X360 lineup and tell me that. The Japanese weren't interesting in a console and decided to just freaking rent the damn thing when TORIYAMA made designs for it. Not to mention the Slam Dunk dude for Lost Odyssey! Japanese are careful with money, even the rich ones. Japanese made products are viewed as being more convenient as a whole there, so when a foreign piece of hardware comes out such as the Xbone they're nothing about 1080p and 900p, they are thinking, "why not get the one that has always been popular?" -- when it comes to trying things out, like every damn human being, they won't really care if the console was designed by a Japanese company or not. It's trying it out that is the issue.

Hahahaha. I am not microsoft bashing. I'm just trying to explain to you why the Xbox is not very popular in Japan. And GT4 was never ported. To this day it's only playable on PS2. And I happen to like Forza, but not enough to buy a whole console for.

No you just really love PlayStation 4. I thought GT4 had a HD port for PS3, if it didn't that is even worse. There was a big following for sim games in Japan, and unfortunately because it belonged to the 360 they didn't give Forza a go and just waited for GT5. That's a shame.

And finally, since you posted your personal preference to like Forza but not buy the console, what we are seeing in this thread is that gamers didn't even give any of the Xbone games a try. They just wrote the whole system off before giving it a go. If they are upset with MS not treating them like a 2nd class country (in a way they do lmao) then that's no xenophobia, that's just them missing out on experiences they may or may not enjoy.

Top Bottom