• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Xbox One launches today in Japan...

ethomaz

Banned
Alright I'm not going to ding you on your English, clearly its not your first language.

But what the hell does this sentence mean? Gotta clarify for me.
:D

You come to GAF for what GAF delivers and not what others boring video games forum delivers... I said that I don't understand why some guys wants GAF to be like these boring forums.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
xboxvergilk1p0a.jpg

Caayn

You come to GAF for what GAF delivers and not what others boring video games forum delivers... I said that I don't understand why some guys wants GAF to be like these boring forums.
People come to GAF for a more mature forum thanks to the way account creation is handled. Folks can get the same boring/lame jokes on practically every other forum.

p3tran

Banned
Change the language first ;) When you select Japanese (日本語) everything is done and simply reboot the console with the most right button.

yBGGRgj.gif

worked like a charm, I just put in on the que and rebooted to usa.
now I see "Chaos Child 404 not found" as a title, but it already has downloaded 40%+

thanks

ethomaz

Banned
People come to GAF for a more mature forum thanks to the way account creation is handled. Folks can get the same boring/lame jokes on practically every other forum.
I just see these amazing jokes and gifs here... that why I'm here.

Show me others forum that have that without copying GAF posts?

GAF is GAF. Just accept it, Mr. Mature.

I don't come to GAF for tired jokes I've seen in the IGN comments section over a hundred times. I honestly think the amount of people who do has to be incredibly low. I come for analysis, news, the (mostly) great community that develops around games, insider information, moderated discussion, and to see what the community thinks of current gaming events.

I don't think jokes that have been beaten to death a hundred times are what people come to GAF for. I honestly don't. And I'm also not against a good laugh at the expense of a major corporation especially one like MS that's messed up so comically in the last year. It just imo isn't very funny.

Speaking of moderated discussion this is going off topic so I'll drop it here.

Edit: Also the Forza pic was

post-37046-thats-actually-hilarious-gif-S-MmDq.gif

Kssio_Aug

GAF is GAF. Just accept it, Mr. Mature.

I know that GAF is GAF, but GAF is not about lame jokes and trolls. Yes, it happens at any forum, GAF too, but that is not what GAF by essence is. GAF is a mature forum to discuss about games... Some really fun stuff appears here 1st indeed, but the joke is fun when it doesnt derail the thread or become a troll festival.

p3tran

Banned

GAF is GAF, just accept it.

what is amazing e-thomaz? to get a pic of a room with people, and slap the forza.jpg then copy-paste for four pages?
to think that its the same guys that complain if a person says "30fps" in a sony thread, that paints a clear picture in my eyes.

I believe that AT LEAST people that have xbones are more interested to see whats going on there, and like I just did, find out for example there is this Chaos Child demo from the japanese marketplace I am currently downloading, see what japanese devs might say in relation to the event, whatever.
you know, I can think about 100 more interesting things to read on a console launch day than the same jpgs getting the "hd remake" and then copy/paste for pages.
but maybe its just me, I dont ..sync very well with the japanese way.

Dragon

Banned

When Microsoft treats Japan like they do other regions, maybe then they'll get the respect they deserve in the region. Until then, I don't see what's so backwards about making fun of their complete lack of effort. This goes for not just Japan either, the way they've launched this console in smaller countries has been ridiculous and deserves criticism.

Izuna

Banned
Xbone being region free makes me very happy. I wanted to import so many games last gen but was unable to.

When Microsoft treats Japan like they do other regions, maybe then they'll get the respect they deserve in the region. Until then, I don't see what's so backwards about making fun of their complete lack of effort. This goes for not just Japan either, the way they've launched this console in smaller countries has been ridiculous and deserves criticism.

I agree that the way MS has launched deserves scrutiny but is anyone doing that in this thread though?

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
it's more doomed than nintendo

ymmv

Banned
MS Japan is optimistic about the Japanese launch:

Microsoft is finally bringing the Xbox One to Japan after almost a year since the console was first launched in the US and EU. Since this a market traditionally dominated by Sony and Nintendo, most people believe that the Redmond-based company will have a hard time selling a decent amount of units over there. Even so, Microsoft is very confident in their chances and have big plans for the Xbox One in Japan. “I want a better performance than our past consoles,” Xbox Japan’s Takashi Sensui said earlier. “With a generational change between game consoles there’s a possibility that the market share could shift as well. We have set big goals.”

What boggles my mind about this thread is the sudden interest of Chaos Child from a bunch of people (many of which are not proficient in the Japanese language.)

nynt9

What boggles my mind about this thread is the sudden interest of Chaos Child from a bunch of people (many of which are not proficient in the Japanese language.)

I'm honestly not that surprised.

But this thread has delivered on the schadenfreude, thanks everyone.

what is amazing e-thomaz? to get a pic of a room with people, and slap the forza.jpg then copy-paste for four pages?
to think that its the same guys that complain if a person says "30fps" in a sony thread, that paints a clear picture in my eyes.

I believe that AT LEAST people that have xbones are more interested to see whats going on there, and like I just did, find out for example there is this Chaos Child demo from the japanese marketplace I am currently downloading, see what japanese devs might say in relation to the event, whatever.
you know, I can think about 100 more interesting things to read on a console launch day than the same jpgs getting the "hd remake" and then copy/paste for pages.
but maybe its just me, I dont ..sync very well with the japanese way.

The salt is strong with this one.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The only thing i heard from Japanese gamers up until now about Xbox one is

"wwwwww shit box"

"BILL GATES MONEY WILL SAVE XBOX ONE WWWW"

"Its just a degraded PS4..."

"WWWW Spybox" (after the allegations that MS spies on consumers through Kinect with the NSA)

"wwwww molesters be crying" (molester is the nickname of Xbox fans in japan, like Cockroaches for Sony and Pigs for Nintendo)

And don't think they don't know about the whole DRM and bad situations with MS previously)

Last gen, Xbox over there was just about synonymous with western games and they developed a very small but dedicated following on 360. However most moved over the PS4 after all the controversy over the Xbox one and the perception that the PS4 is just better rounded for third western games).

This leaves MS with even less of an install base than the very small one they ever had.

GutZ31

The only thing i heard from Japanese gamers up until now about Xbox one is

"wwwwww shit box"

"BILL GATES MONEY WILL SAVE XBOX ONE WWWW"

"Its just a degraded PS4..."

"WWWW Spybox" (after the allegations that MS spies on consumers through Kinect with the NSA)

"wwwww molesters be crying" (molester is the nickname of Xbox fans in japan, like Cockroaches for Sony and Pigs for Nintendo)

And don't think they don't know about the whole DRM and bad situations with MS previously)

Last gen, Xbox over there was just about synonymous with western games and they developed a very small but dedicated following on 360. However most moved over the PS4 after all the controversy over the Xbox one and the perception that the PS4 is just better rounded for third western games).

This leaves MS with even less of an install base than the very small one they ever had.

I couldn't read all the NicoNico bubbles, but most of that seems legit.

watership

The fact they're still there, 3 gens in, launching a 3rd attempt means they're trying. They just know that buying exclusives, funding big games, huge ads and events doesn't work. So games didn't work, money didn't work. What works? They don't know, yet here they are, trying again.

-Cwalat-

There's also the dude in the helmet towards the back. Not sure what his deal is.

I mean, is there a worse console release in history of console releases?

Seriously, the bad attempt at making it seem that their console launch even matters.

Not a single fuck was given.

giphy.gif

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Ugh, making me grab my type cover for this...

I know what xenophobia means. How you got xenophobia from my post makes no sense.

I already explained it to you. This is a thread about Xbox in Japan. You post saying it's a shame that people are only interested in Sony/Nintendo and then contrast that point by saying you'd be missing out if you only played western games. That is a clear dig at the at Japanese gamers. You're implying (accusing) that they're only interested in Japanese things, which isn't true. Hence why I told you to take your accusations of Xenophobia elsewhere. You're implying(accusing) that Japanese people only buy Japanese products. If it were true, that would be Xenophobic.

As I pointed out, they may not buy many foreign electronics, but when it comes to things like music/fashion etc they are more than willing to buy foreign designed, quality products.

I took it as you calling me racist because hey, you're telling me I am misjudging Japanese people's interest in foreign technology.

I didn't call you racist and you are misjudging them.

You're again, completely and deliberately misunderstanding what I initial point was. Sony/Nintendo/Sega etc. are the big names in gaming. Xbox isn't popular, so no one is talking about it, so people don't get to know this event is happen and even if they did, they aren't told that it is a good product so they don't waste their time.

Hold on a second. It's Microsoft's job to sell Xboxes. No one else's. Whenever someone asks which console to buy on this forum, 90% of the responses are "go wherever your friends are". Chances are, if you're a Japanese gamer, your friends don't own an Xbox because Microsoft has failed twice and will likely fail a third time in Japan.

We're talking about a country where people protest KPop to be removed from being aired on television because it's "Korean" rather than deciding for themselves if they like it or not.

You're taking a few bad apples and applying it to the whole damn population. You're getting increasingly judgmental and offensive here. I would be very careful if I was you. There are judgmental, racist pricks in every country, but you shouldn't judge the whole population based on that. Hell, in the UK, there's a political party whose goal is to get foreign people to leave the UK. Should I just take that as a sign that the whole country agrees? No. Because the BNP are racist assholes and I know that the good people of the UK outweigh the bad by far. And if this is the kind of garbage you're going to be posting, then I won't give you the satisfaction of replying. So think carefully about what you say.

If you want me to talk about xenophobia, I would move away from video games and Microsoft hardware/software that Japanese people DO in fact enjoy once they get their hands on it. Hating Xbox makes no sense, enjoying its games should be taken in isolation, and they don't get the chance.

Again, Microsoft's failures in Japan are their own making. Japanese companies like Sony, Sega and Nintendo, have managed to make internationally desirable products and sell them in foreign territories. Microsoft has too, to an extent, but they only have succeeded in a few key markets. Again, that is their own failing.

To say MS shoudn't bother would mean Japanese people never get to try out Halo or hell, Titanfall, Minecraft, what have you. This has NOTHING to do with xenophobia.

Not once did I say they shouldn't bother. They've just made a bit of a dog's dinner out of their attempts at cracking the Japanese market.

I saw tons of advertising when I was there in April. Not gigantic adverts on the huge screens of Shinjuku, but in the game shops and MSN JP Titanfall was everywhere.

Yes, there are adverts in game stores, but that's hardly going to attract anyone other than the hardcore who most likely are aware of the Xbox. I'm talking TV, Train, Billboards etc.

This is massively naive. Look at the X360 lineup and tell me that. The Japanese weren't interesting in a console and decided to just freaking rent the damn thing when TORIYAMA made designs for it. Not to mention the Slam Dunk dude for Lost Odyssey!

I commend Microsoft on the effort they put into the 360 early in it's life in Japan, but I'm talking about the here and now. And the fact that Microsoft gave up on Japan halfway through last gen isn't going to instill confidence in those who invested in a 360 to the point where they'll buy xbones. Microsoft (as a console maker) were an unknown in Japan, so it's only natural that people were skeptical. I'm not denying that it's a tough market to crack, but it's not impossible and it has nothing to do with Microsoft being a foreign company. It has everything to do with the product and the way Microsoft gave up on Japan.

Japanese are careful with money, even the rich ones. Japanese made products are viewed as being more convenient as a whole there, so when a foreign piece of hardware comes out such as the Xbone they're nothing about 1080p and 900p, they are thinking, "why not get the one that has always been popular?"

Another broad, sweeping statement. How wonderful. And in my experience, Japanese people tend to think long and hard about purchases.

-- when it comes to trying things out, like every damn human being, they won't really care if the console was designed by a Japanese company or not. It's trying it out that is the issue.

And another. Why don't you tweet Phil Spencer? As I've already said, it's Microsoft's job to sell consoles/raise awareness. And you're contradicting yourself. First you said that Japanese products are seen as being "more convenient". Secondly, you say hey don't care if it was designed by a Japanese company or not.

No you just really love PlayStation 4.

You're right. I do like the PS4. I just wish mine wasn't defective. And what a feeble dig. You just moaned that I was having a go at your preferences (which I wasn't) and then proceeded to throw that in there for no reason at all.

I thought GT4 had a HD port for PS3, if it didn't that is even worse.

It didn't. There was a limited demo called "GT HD" which released sometime around the PS3's launch in Japan. It wasn't a full game and it wasn't GT4.

There was a big following for sim games in Japan, and unfortunately because it belonged to the 360 they didn't give Forza a go and just waited for GT5. That's a shame.

Because typically, Forza isn't a system seller and it's exclusively on a system that is undesirable to the Japanese market. You keep putting the onus on the gamer here, but let's get realistic. Microsoft, yes, fucking Microsoft, one of the biggest, wealthiest companies in the world has struggled to crack into many markets with the Xbox. But hey, blame the gamer. They should buy microsoft's products blindly to see what they're missing.

And finally, since you posted your personal preference to like Forza but not buy the console, what we are seeing in this thread is that gamers didn't even give any of the Xbone games a try. They just wrote the whole system off before giving it a go. If they are upset with MS not treating them like a 2nd class country (in a way they do lmao) then that's no xenophobia, that's just them missing out on experiences they may or may not enjoy.

See the above. And I'm done replying for tonight. If you wish to continue your nonsensical Japanese gamer blaming, send me a pm.

I hope you don't, because frankly, you speak a lot of garbage. Personally, I'm offended by some of the sweeping statements you just made. Particularly your logic that some idiots protesting Kpop means the whole country feels the same way. I love living here and have met some terrific, kind people and it offends me to hear you tarring them all with the same shitty brush.

Raist

Banned
“I want a better performance than our past consoles,” Xbox Japan’s Takashi Sensui said earlier. “With a generational change between game consoles there’s a possibility that the market share could shift as well. We have set big goals.”

Like in Germany amirite?

Top Bottom