• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the Xbox One launches today in Japan...

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Claiming Labor, a known GAF poster living in Japan to know nothing:

He has a point on this one. Not about the guy living in Japan or not, but read the comment he was replying to. It's all about PS4 or PC in Japan? The PS4 is selling poorly and PC gaming is pretty much inconsequential in Japan.

p3tran

Banned
Regarding Hison Yohannas? oh boy...the guy been either making really bad jokes all day or he is just trying to spread misinformation all over the place.

Claims early launch and "Tricks with release dates, even though the 09/04/2014 release date been known since April. Then proceed to joke about hundreds of K sales

Continues to claim early releases by 2-3 days:

Got the fact that Microsoft isn't having a TGS conference wrong (probably honest mistake):

Claiming Labor, a known GAF poster living in Japan to know nothing:

Claimed that Microsoft has somehow reversed the release date from the 7th. Even though this was never done. Where is he getting the 7th from? He probably read it from some random English game site's typo: http://www.gamrreview.com/news/91369/xbox-one-launching-in-japan-on-september-7

After being pointed out about the release date, he started changes his "early release" claim to be a possibly 2-3 hour early release. No proof. Later claimed to be joking the whole time.

Started jokingly claim that MS pre-order numbers are 200-400k. Proceed to argue with Caayn.

Makes claim that MS is doing a McDonalds Campaign. But they're not:

Claim to have Japanese sources that are hyping up Chaos Child like crazy. What?

Proceed to claim that Crimson Dragon is a potential killer app based on a 4gamer article on the xbox one system.

Yeah, I'm bored
this dude, hison yohanas, he is not banned yet? a new low has been set here.

ps.
@chusson, enjoy

QaaQer

They have. Their own. They only had a ban on foreign consoles.

& foreign consoles have been on sale in grey markets since 90s. You could buy one cheaper than in Europe in every major city, in every shopping district. Anyone that thinks China is going to buy millions and millions of PS4s, Wii Us, and X1s doesn't understand China.

He has a point on this one. Not about the guy living in Japan or not, but read the comment he was replying to. It's all about PS4 or PC in Japan? The PS4 is selling poorly and PC gaming is pretty much inconsequential in Japan.

That PS4 part is obviously an exaggeration, but I hate it when people always dismiss PC players in Japan. There is a perfectly fine PC scene in Japan, no different than any Asian countries. Japan also has one of the best competitive PC overclocking scene in the world.

People just dismiss Japan's PC scene all of the time due to lack of PC game releases. However, that's like saying China isn't big on PC cause most they don't much non-mediocre MMO releases either.

BwrUr4vIIAAxgYw.png

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
That PS4 part is obviously an exaggeration, but I hate it when people always dismiss PC players in Japan. There is a perfectly fine PC scene in Japan, no different than any Asian countries. Japan also has one of the best competitive PC overclocking scene in the world.

People just dismiss Japan's PC scene all of the time due to lack of PC game releases. However, that's like saying China isn't big on PC cause most of the games made these days are poor quality MMOs.

I meant inconsequential (or perhaps invisible would have been a better word to use) in terms of game sales. I'm fully aware that there are PC gamers in Japan, but with the exception of some of my foreign friends, I haven't met one. To say that Japan is all PS4 and PC when it comes to gaming is an exaggeration. Handhelds and mobile would have been a far more accurate statement.

Half cheese, half pepperoni!

Have you tried the Quattro pies yet?

oh god...so hungry...
I meant inconsequential (or perhaps invisible would have been a better word to use) in terms of game sales. I'm fully aware that there are PC gamers in Japan, but with the exception of some of my foreign friends, I haven't met one. To say that Japan is all PS4 and PC when it comes to gaming is an exaggeration. Handhelds and mobile would have been a far more accurate statement.

Given the original context of the discussion, I am assuming that Labor was talking about core players (ex: someone that would buy Famitsu.)

How many times do the Japanese sources keep hyping up Chaos child? Good lordy.

Well someone mention TF at least.

Who are your sources and why should a visual novel be a system seller? Steins gate and Chaos Head didn't even sell 50k. You must've mistakenly believed it was gonna be a huge anime rpg or something rofl.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Seems like you're right, so yeah, once that sells out, it'll be the same price for the console only, same as PS4.

We all know it won't sell out though ;)

The question is, what will happen first? Will the bundles sell out or will the game codes expire?
They are digital codes, right?

Given the original context of the discussion, I am assuming that Labor was talking about core players (ex: someone that would buy Famitsu.)

Well that's quite an assumption to make.

OMG stop believing him.....who in their right mind would believe an ultra niche Visual Novel is going to be a system seller especially when in all likelihood it isn't even exclusive.

Indiedevs

Banned
Can someone please explain to me why japanese people prefer mobile gaming over console? You can`t exactly compare console gaming to crappy mobile games with microtransactions.

T.O.P

Banned
Can someone please explain to me why japanese people prefer mobile gaming over console? You can`t exactly compare console gaming to crappy mobile games with microtransactions.

I don't think it's fair to categorize every mobile game under "crappy and with micro transiction"

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I've lived here for a year so far and work at junior high and elementary school.

No-one cares about Xbox.

Hardly anyone seems to care about anything other than iPhone and 3DS.

Its an entirely different culture there, and its portable gaming thats huge there. Not just mobile. They do compare it and they prefer portable gaming (for now).

RexNovis

Banned
looks like a desperate attempt to troll for me.

looool you guys he's trolling. He tried to do what Verendus was doing but people were taking his posts too seriously like now.

He's a Junior who joined less than a week ago and he's made 69 posts in this thread. Nearly all of which are asinine. Tell me why I should assume he's a troll?

Verendus is a known quantity. This guy, however, is not and has only claimed to be joking when people have called him out for spreading complete BS. Not the same.

Either he is the worlds most hard working but pathetically bad troll or he's legitimately trying to spread FUD. The second seems far more likely to me.

My Xbox One launch party!

Oh man Dominos! I haven't had a Dominos pizza in ages. Whelp I know what I'm ordering for dinner tonight. Thanks for the intense craving. Enjoy your XB1 man

It's really a matter of the social structure and the amount of alternative entertainment available.

Especially for those of us that grew up in the Urban areas...it's like placing someone in the West into a low crime, populated at all hours + street vendors everywhere version of New York City. I can honestly just hang out at manga cafes + bookstores and eat street food for most of my days if I want to. Do you think in-home console gaming would be that high on most people's form of entertainment then?

And since most people are going to be out most of the time, portable/mobile gaming just make much more sense. F2P also means that all of your friends can get in on it if they're interested.

It also doesn't help that kids are basically raised to be addicted to gashapon toys/cards machines. My childhood version of the slot machine.
Micro transactions on games like PAD don't feel as big of a deal after you've been spending hours/$$$ of your childhood on stupid trading cards/cheap toys.
Heck, PAD deliberately make their monster drawings to be like a gashapon machine.
(man, just thinking about that stupid knob turning is sending chills down my spine.)

There are plenty detailed reasons related to costs of game development, game buying public having no free time, mobile devices being miltipurpose so therefore more justified purchases.

But this image to me sums it up more than anything to me.

xn0jb1E.jpg

Why the fuck even bother? No disrespect to the poster who put this pic up, but this just looks like a colossal waste of time. Buy a projector or something.

MrMatt555

There are plenty detailed reasons related to costs of game development, game buying public having no free time, mobile devices being miltipurpose so therefore more justified purchases.

But this image to me sums it up more than anything to me.

xn0jb1E.jpg

Why the fuck even bother? No disrespect to the poster who put this pic up, but this just looks like a colossal waste of time. Buy a projector or something.

Get that hideous tape off the poor tomb raider case.

Kinda hoped they would show a new Scalebound trailer at the launch event. Guess I have to wait until TGS.

I'm skeptical we'll see anything new from MS at all.

Imo, if they had anything worth showing, even if it's a trailer, they would've held a presser just to thump their chest about it. We've seen them hold events for much less.

Xando

https://au.news.yahoo.com/technology/a/24898972/japan-launch-of-microsoft-xbox-one-a-damp-squib/

Tokyo (AFP) - The Japanese launch of Microsoft's Xbox One fell flat on Thursday, with journalists covering the debut far outnumbering buyers.

"Japan finally got the console more than nine months after it hit shelves in North America, Europe and Australasia and half a year after domestic heavyweight Sony unleashed its PlayStation 4 to grand acclaim."

Wait, more Journalists than buyers?

Oare

At this point, they should just sell their games in plain, untranslated English and advertise the console as an English learning tool.
At least they'd move a few units.

Well that's quite an assumption to make.

For what it's worth, I thought that's what he meant as well. As EVERYONE on Gaf and video game message board realize handhelds and mobile rule Japan.

Given the thread is about the release of a new console, I figured the PS4 and PC were mentioned as a direct(ish) competitors.

Celine

I remember the ps4 bombing in japan thread was much quieter than this. Is there a slant here?

Soony too!

And no. The PS4 launch was not anywhere near as bad as this. It has bombed since then, but it sold a respectable amount out the gate.

This isnt just awful compared to the PS4 launch, its awful compared to the PS3 and 360 launches. Thats quite the feat.

Top Bottom