• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this Fallout 76 Xbox crash bug.....

Xyrmellon

I bought the game yesterday at the last minute because I love Fallout, but I wish I had done just a little more research. It seems since the beta there is a bug on Xbox One (X?) that randomly crashes the whole console and shuts it off. When you turn it back on you get the overheat warning but the console wasn't overheating. It seems it can happen any time, and the worst is obviously when the game hasn't saved for a while. The first time I played it happened just as I was about to exit the vault and I lost my character creation and the vault tutotial, about 45 min of time. It's happened 2 more times in about 3 hours. I know there are reddit posts about it, but is anyone else dealing with this? I almost don't want to continue until they fix it, and clearly Bethesda can't find the cause or isn't in a hurry to do it.

Three

Can that actually happen? A bug that causes the hardware to 'think' it is overheating doesn't seem plausable. I actually think it may have been overheating with a high core temp even if externally it may not feel too warm. A Fallout 76 bug could still be the cause of it though with some bug causing unnecessary high load (like if you were running prime95 on your CPU). The X does run hot and its fans don't crank up high so it may have just shut down because it exceeded the max core temp.

Was it a particularly hot day where you are?

Hinedorf

Banned
Buying a Bethesda game at launch is the same as being a free beta tester for Bethesda. A year from now the game-breaking bugs will be fixed where you can enjoy all the normal bugs that still permeate the game, get a refund if you can!

OP I'm so sorry that happened to you, but man this is a Bethesda game that was getting "too buggy even for Bethesda" talks. Expect some legendary bugs and your console might not survive.

Hinedorf

Banned
Can that actually happen? A bug that causes the hardware to 'think' it is overheating doesn't seem plausable. I actually think it may have been overheating with a high core temp even if externally it may not feel too warm. A Fallout 76 bug could still be the cause of it though with some bug causing unnecessary high load (like if you were running prime95 on your CPU). The X does run hot and its fans don't crank up high so it may have just shut down because it exceeded the max core temp.

The last iteration of Battlefield did this to my PC so regularly I stopped playing the game

Buying a Bethesda game at launch is the same as being a free beta tester for Bethesda. A year from now the game-breaking bugs will be fixed where you can enjoy all the normal bugs that still permeate the game, get a refund if you can!
Optimistic. Did they ever fix the PS3 version of Skyrim?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
My suggestion is return the game and change for other. This is not good for your console.

Its not fair have this kind of problems, worst for the Price.

In Bethesda case it's more like paying to be early alpha tester.

Horns

Wondering the same. Sounds like it could be a bug related to the OS.

Ozrimandias

Optimistic. Did they ever fix the PS3 version of Skyrim?

Bethesda shouldnt have release New Vegas for PS3 for example.... the game freezes at random points.
The honest thing should have been Bethesda not considering Ps3 owner at all, but what they did was unethical at best.

Xyrmellon

Wondering the same. Sounds like it could be a bug related to the OS.
While I can't say for 100% certainty it wasn't an overheat issue, the fans seem to be normal, where on Red Dead they crank to jet levels. This is also what the other bug reports have in common, when the console restarts, a message pops that says it shut down due to overheating. This has never happened before in any other game.

Three

While I can't say for 100% certainty it wasn't an overheat issue, the fans seem to be normal, where on Red Dead they crank to jet levels. This is also what the other bug reports have in common, when the console restarts, a message pops that says it shut down due to overheating. This has never happened before in any other game.

I'm not familiar with the one x fan profile but I build silent PCs with custom fan profiles. Often when a temperature step is exceeded it takes a while before the fan reacts and cranks up. Especially with stepped speeds. This is to prevent a fan jumping between speeds near the set limit. It may be that the games load change is so fast that the fan does not enter the fastest fan speed before the temp exceeds the shut off limit.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I haven't had it with 76 yet after 10 hours, but I had it happen with Watchdogs 2 where it would crash my XB1X and hard reboot it. So I empathize with how infuriating it is. Hopefully this gets addressed unlike Ubi who on the forums acknowledge it but have no plans to address it other than saying to try and play offline.

No review thread yet? >.>
The servers went live last night. Other than the beta, no one has had access to it. This is a common Bethesda tactic as well. Remember Doom?

Last edited:

pr0cs

I recall oblivion being the first game for me that triggered the rrod on the 360. Their software is usually poorly optimized dragging the consoles into despair.
I haven't played any of their games since

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I recall oblivion being the first game for me that triggered the rrod on the 360. Their software is usually poorly optimized dragging the consoles into despair.
I haven't played any of their games since

Balmer looks like he is running off the same code in your avatar.

recursive

It could be something as simple as not petting a watchdog because of some weird code loop that causes the OS to shutdown. Can definitely be the game.

RespawnX

Simply a bug fest. Game crashed like ten times in less than five hours. Constant loading freezes, server lags, clipping problems, interaction issues with objects. Well ... they forced the game into christmas release window but to be honest, it's far away from beeing polished. At this point I feel like Oblivion run fine on 360 ...

Top Bottom