• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhh, that Crash remaster is looking pretty fucking good.

Didn't they say the physics were altered to be the same throughout all three games?

No, but they did say they *tried* that. It didn't feel right because all three Crash games had slightly different physics from each other and their level geometry reflected that. From playing it myself I can notice a definite difference in feel in each N.Sane game. Not as drastic as Original Crash 1 VS Original Crash 2, for instance, but that's just because they made Crash 1 not suck.

Watched world 1 of Warped on Youtube...

This game is ugly. It's like they wanted to go relastic but halfway decided they want a cartoonish look instead, the cheap cgi post is not wrong.

How could you fuck up a remake where your only job was redoing the graphics? Can we call it a remake if only the graphics were redone?

I know they redid the soundtrack, but listen to it...

I somewhat agree with the graphics complaints, but it is without a doubt a remake. This can of worms doesn't have to get opened up again. They didn't even just change the graphics, there are some save system changes and slight physics alterations I believe.

Yukinari

Just finished Crash 1, I enjoyed it overall but it did get a bit brutal in later levels, with how wonky the physics/momentum is, some sections were a pain in the ass. I tried Crash 2 just now and it seems like it plays better/faster, so that's good.

Crash 1 always had questionable level design and depth perception issues which is what you were probably experiencing.

Granted its probably 10 times better than the original. I cant go back to the PS1 version.

Crash 1 always had questionable level design and depth perception issues which is what you were probably experiencing.

Granted its probably 10 times better than the original. I cant go back to the PS1 version.

A good example of the bolded: Toxic Waste. The barrels were a good example of both of your complaints -- in N.Sane they address both by having the barrels be more predictably timed, having scuff marks on the ground to show EXACTLY where the bouncing ones will land, and making the barrels all around slightly less tall so Crash's jump can more reliably clear it if you're timing it right.

I somewhat agree with the graphics complaints, but it is without a doubt a remake. This can of worms doesn't have to get opened up again. They didn't even just change the graphics, there are some save system changes and slight physics alterations I believe.

There are actually no pieces of shared code between the originals and N.Sane at all.

So crash vets: as a man who's always admired the series from afar (certainly art wise) but was too busy with SM64 and NiGHTS when this released to ever invest into the series, what should my play order be? Are the isssues with crash 1 sufficient that I should just start with 2? Will I get worn out if I try to work my way through all 3?

So crash vets: as a man who's always admired the series from afar (certainly art wise) but was too busy with SM64 and NiGHTS when this released to ever invest into the series, what should my play order be? Are the isssues with crash 1 sufficient that I should just start with 2? Will I get worn out if I try to work my way through all 3?

Personally I'd say start with 3. It's by far the most approachable and has the most variety. If you like it go to Crash 1 and then Crash 2 since it's very similar to 3 but with more platforming and not as much variety but still a ton of content.

Crash 1's issues were the bad save system and lack of analogue control which are both fixed in the Trilogy.

I'd still give Crash 1 a go, but then move to Crash 2 if you find you're not having fun with it. The games are very similar, so you may burn out if you take all three at once anyway, so may be better to play one of them, then break to play something else, then go back to the next game... unless you're enjoying it, then fire on, which is what I intend to do.

Banzai

I'm actually scared that Amazon.de will only get it to me on friday and not one day earlier as usual. I need it. Reading about people already playing it a week earlier is always so disheartening.

*Splinter

Hey stop shit talking PS1 Crash 1, I love that thing :(

Speaking of, did they add time trials to Crash 1? I think they only had them in Crash 3 (and maybe 2?) originally, right?

.00001/10
I love how this came in a day later than all the other similar posts and somehow didn't notice they were all banned.

Banzai

Hey stop shit talking PS1 Crash 1, I love that thing :(

Speaking of, did they add time trials to Crash 1? I think they only had them in Crash 3 (and maybe 2?) originally, right?

Yes, both Crash 1 and 2 have time trials now but didn't in the original games. Very good addition imo.

edit: that reminds me, I wonder how time trial works in the Crash 1 level that had a shortcut to skip the entire level.

Claptrap

Have any speedrunners gotten their hands on it? Any impressions from them?

I watched a couple of minutes of castcoders (He seems to be a speedrunner) live stream yesterday, he was playing Crash 2. So here are some things he mentioned:

- The slide spin doesen´t work any more (Spinning after sliding stops the movement)
- The slide jump spin is still in the game (It is even requiered to get the platinum relics in some levels)
- Ice physics are completly different and a lot more slippery
-
Red gem in Snow Go placed differently, so you can´t get it the first time you visit the level anymore
- A lot of skips in general don´t work anymore
- I got the feeling that he really enjoyed the game and seemed to like how crash controls (Only negative thing that comes to mind is, that the crouch has some sort of delay now)
- Crash 2 still controls a lot better than Crash 1
-
If you beat Cortex you get speed shoes like in Crash 3 (No speed shoes in Crash 1, probably because it wouldn´t make sense in a lot of levels in Crash 1)

I watched a couple of minutes of castcoders (He seems to be a speedrunner) live stream yesterday, he was playing Crash 2. So here are some things he mentioned:

- The slide spin doesen´t work any more (Spinning after sliding stops the movement)
- The slide jump spin is still in the game (It is even requiered to get the platinum relics in some levels)
- Ice physics are completly different and a lot more slippery
-
Red gem in Snow Go placed differently, so you can´t get it the first time you visit the level anymore
- A lot of skips in general don´t work anymore
- I got the feeling that he really enjoyed the game and seemed to like how crash controls (Only negative thing that comes to mind is, that the crouch has some sort of delay now)
- Crash 2 still controls a lot better than Crash 1
-
If you beat Cortex you get speed shoes like in Crash 3 (No speed shoes in Crash 1, probably because it wouldn´t make sense in a lot of levels in Crash 1)

Interesting.

silva1991

What do you mean? How much is it where you are?

If you mean the standard 40 for three full remakes, the purchase of which will support more Crash content, is too much then that's too bad.

40€ for three excellent games is overpriced?

Official price is $40, but retailers where I come from are selling it for almost $60 right now.

I actually don't mind paying even more than 60 dollars for the game, but those retailers don't deserve the extra money just because they are selling the game 2 days early.

Tizoc

Official price is $40, but retailers where I come from are selling it for almost $60 right now.

I actually don't mind paying even more than 60 dollars for the game, but those retailers don't deserve the extra money just because they are selling the game 2 days early.

Buy from US PSN: Get US PSN cash code from amazon and get it digital.

Wednesday. It's always 2 days before release.

Oh I know when it goes up, I'm just emphasizing how much I want this game yesterday XP

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Replaying the originals, I've come to realize that I don't really care for the controls in these games. It's something they nailed with Jak and Daxter but Crash feels just awful in comparison. It's like there is no momentum - it's just start/stop in a very stuttery way. There's nothing fluid about the way Crash moves.

Don't really care for the soundtrack either. It's not bad, per se, but I'm finding it rather dull and incidental. Compared to other great platformers of that era, it falls short there.

They are technically amazing games for the PS1, though.

Ash735

Don't really care for the soundtrack either. It's not bad, per se, but I'm finding it rather dull and incidental. Compared to other great platformers of that era, it falls short there.

Well since you posted that, how about you compare the original masters the composer uploaded to his soundcloud? Also take note, a lot of what you're describing sounds like Crash 1, where the composer said for the first game they wanted a more subtle and ambient brooding soundtrack compared to the melodic style they went with for 2, 3 and CTR.

ghibli99

Replaying the originals, I've come to realize that I don't really care for the controls in these games. It's something they nailed with Jak and Daxter but Crash feels just awful in comparison. It's like there is no momentum - it's just start/stop in a very stuttery way. There's nothing fluid about the way Crash moves.

They are technically amazing games for the PS1, though.
This is pretty similar to my take on these games. Technical marvels, but they weren't exactly the greatest things to play, and like you, I had a much better time with J&D1, to the point where I 100%'d that thing. The jump from Crash 1 to Crash 2 reminded me of what it was like going from Uncharted 1 to 2. It was a huge jump. I'll be curious to see how these review and whether they have stood the test of time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well since you posted that, how about you compare the original masters the composer uploaded to his soundcloud? Also take note, a lot of what you're describing sounds like Crash 1, where the composer said for the first game they wanted a more subtle and ambient brooding soundtrack compared to the melodic style they went with for 2, 3 and CTR.
I checked those out and it's interesting.

To be honest, I'm just not a huge fan of Josh Mancell's work but I'm not suggesting that he doesn't do GOOD work. They are well composed tracks and I respect the work he's done there but it's just not the kind of music that drives me in a platform game. It's the same issue I had with the New Super Mario Bros games. It feels like upbeat, incidental music that just doesn't leave much of an impression. That's really just me, though.

I tend to prefer melodies more in line with what you might have heard in a Sonic game, Klonoa, a David Wise score or any number of Mario games.

Here's an example. First is a track from Klonoa. This is of a style similar to Crash in that it focuses on kind of a jungle-beat sound but the melody is really engaging and memorable. It has an emotional resonance in a way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32N5eoxfjY&list=PL924C498E5CAC6CD2&index=9

So then a track from Crash which seems to aim for a similar tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGKq9uwRoI&index=3&list=PL453FC8D567281DB6

...I feel this is less successful in comparison. It's like the introduction of a song that never goes anywhere.

Or this kind of track from Crash 3...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPm_4Mv8lVo&index=4&list=PL8E5C1C66E5E2F431

It just doesn't really catch my attention.

I think Jak and Daxter has exactly the same problem. It's just sort of background incidental music with no real hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTmLL8jB76c&index=4&list=PLF6495945D5CC5DD4

Then you switch to something like this (though this is a more recent game, of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFP4wn0dejc&index=28&list=PLCAKOz0OX3_PMfgFMdz3M_2r0dY7zth7x

The difference immediately hits me.

I think it's just the lack of a rise and fall in the tunes that really gets me. Josh Mancell's tracks feel very one-note - they just sort of start and then keep playing with little variation. There's no real ear grabbing loop to catch your attention and draw you in.

Anyways, just giving my own thoughts on the matter, not slamming Josh's work or anyone that enjoys it! It's just something that I've always felt but, in replaying the games, it really hit home. Same exact issue I've had with the New Super Mario Bros games (which, thankfully, is not an issue with Odyssey).

Machina

Banned
Trophy hunters will want to pick this one up. Each game is a separate platinum and they all seem relatively easy to get

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Looks awesome. I kinda want to get it, but I hardly ever even use the PS4, so I'm afraid it would just go unplayed. :/

I kinda want them to remake MGS1, not like TTS.

dracula_x

cute

tumblr_oriepq36Ns1u3fdy9o1_250.gif
tumblr_oriepq36Ns1u3fdy9o2_250.gif
tumblr_oriepq36Ns1u3fdy9o3_250.gif

Tagg9

I checked those out and it's interesting.

To be honest, I'm just not a huge fan of Josh Mancell's work but I'm not suggesting that he doesn't do GOOD work. They are well composed tracks and I respect the work he's done there but it's just not the kind of music that drives me in a platform game. It's the same issue I had with the New Super Mario Bros games. It feels like upbeat, incidental music that just doesn't leave much of an impression. That's really just me, though.

I tend to prefer melodies more in line with what you might have heard in a Sonic game, Klonoa, a David Wise score or any number of Mario games.

Thanks for your commentary on this! Music is obviously one of those things that is extremely subjective, so I'll briefly talk about why I disagree with some of your comparisons.

Here's an example. First is a track from Klonoa. This is of a style similar to Crash in that it focuses on kind of a jungle-beat sound but the melody is really engaging and memorable. It has an emotional resonance in a way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32N5eoxfjY&list=PL924C498E5CAC6CD2&index=9

So then a track from Crash which seems to aim for a similar tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGKq9uwRoI&index=3&list=PL453FC8D567281DB6

...I feel this is less successful in comparison. It's like the introduction of a song that never goes anywhere.

The music in Klonoa is indeed more of a "full" sound, with a larger number of instruments and layers. However, it comes across as busy to me, and the track itself has clear highs and lows, whereas game soundtrack typically shoot for something more consistent so that the music can be looped without the player noticing. Also keep in mind that the Crash track is from one of the first levels, so you want to start with relatively subdued music and then increase intensity throughout the game dependant on the amount of action in the level and the difficulty involved.

Or this kind of track from Crash 3...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPm_4Mv8lVo&index=4&list=PL8E5C1C66E5E2F431

It just doesn't really catch my attention.

I think Jak and Daxter has exactly the same problem. It's just sort of background incidental music with no real hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTmLL8jB76c&index=4&list=PLF6495945D5CC5DD4

Then you switch to something like this (though this is a more recent game, of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFP4wn0dejc&index=28&list=PLCAKOz0OX3_PMfgFMdz3M_2r0dY7zth7x

The difference immediately hits me.

I think you actually picked one of the most iconic tracks from Warped! I find this tune to be incredibly catchy, and I might be remembering wrong but it always seemed to be in sync with what was going on in the level. Not entirely sure what you're missing here, as the tune has a lot of variation, and is extremely appropriate for the Asian design of the level.

I was never a fan of Geyser Rock, but I do believe you're looking for something different than what the composer was trying to get across. They were trying for an elevator music type of acoustic so that the emphasis in on the characters, story and world. The DKCR track by David Wise is awesome, but sounds way too epic to be playing when you're just exploring a village and herding yaks.

Freaking dang it! My copy from Amazon had it's delivery date changed. It was going to arrive on Friday but now it's been changed to ship on release day and arrive on July 3rd.

And Amazon says that they can't do anything about it.

Top Bottom