• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhh, that Crash remaster is looking pretty fucking good.

Who is doing the OT?

That would be me. Going up either tomorrow (since the game is getting an early release on the 29th at most GameStops so I'm assuming the same is true of a lot of places, not to mention that it's been leaked to sale for a week now) or the 29th in the early morning.

pixelation

cute

tumblr_oriepq36Ns1u3fdy9o1_250.gif
tumblr_oriepq36Ns1u3fdy9o2_250.gif
tumblr_oriepq36Ns1u3fdy9o3_250.gif

How can people look at this and say that it looks bad and cheap?, i don't see it...

Freaking dang it! My copy from Amazon had it's delivery date changed. It was going to arrive on Friday but now it's been changed to ship on release day and arrive on July 3rd.

And Amazon says that they can't do anything about it.

Phew you had me checking. I've had notoriously bad experiences with Amazon and release date delivery, only bothered now because it was way cheaper there.

Mine still says Friday 30th as of now... we'll see though.

That would be me. Going up either tomorrow (since the game is getting an early release on the 29th at most GameStops so I'm assuming the same is true of a lot of places, not to mention that it's been leaked to sale for a week now) or the 29th in the early morning.

alright wrestleman, ill trust your ot will do the games justice.

on a side note, im glad bestbuy is gonna have the pre order dlc as well. want to be rocking that dynamic theme while playing the trilogy.

shame they never put out a ce for this. least it saves me some money.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thanks for your commentary on this! Music is obviously one of those things that is extremely subjective, so I'll briefly talk about why I disagree with some of your comparisons.

I think you actually picked one of the most iconic tracks from Warped! I find this tune to be incredibly catchy, and I might be remembering wrong but it always seemed to be in sync with what was going on in the level. Not entirely sure what you're missing here, as the tune has a lot of variation, and is extremely appropriate for the Asian design of the level.

I was never a fan of Geyser Rock, but I do believe you're looking for something different than what the composer was trying to get across. They were trying for an elevator music type of acoustic so that the emphasis in on the characters, story and world. The DKCR track by David Wise is awesome, but sounds way too epic to be playing when you're just exploring a village and herding yaks.
Yes, I think your commentary is helping me understand the issue. The more 'elevator' style sound designed to fade into the background is precisely what I'm getting from many of these tracks. My second example was a little off as I just picked a random song from Jak. The fire canyon is a better one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QM2j1Y7zyc&index=26&list=PLF6495945D5CC5DD4

Not a huge fan but it's better than the village. I think Wise's track would fit in well here. That said, this track did remind me that I'm quite a fan of the original soundtrack for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. The fire canyon track uses very similar drums but there is more build-up and complexity in Turok. I think it's down to the fact that I must not care much for incidental cartoon style tracks.

Also keep in mind that the Crash track is from one of the first levels, so you want to start with relatively subdued music and then increase intensity throughout the game dependant on the amount of action in the level and the difficulty involved.
This is an interesting point. In my mind, I feel like the first level should always have a song that grabs you and pulls you in. Using Tropical Freeze again, the first level is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsQq3IDOpbs&list=PLCAKOz0OX3_PMfgFMdz3M_2r0dY7zth7x&index=4

It's upbeat, colorful and fun. I also found it a great way to kick off the game especially the way they seamlessly fade between above ground and under water tracks.

If you want to build atmosphere, that's possible too, but I feel like I prefer tracks that work towards something.

_Rob_

Amazon - preparing for dispatch! So pumped, cleared my whole day Friday to properly enjoy it. Forcing myself to avoid gameplay from people who got it early is a struggle.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Oi, Amazon, prepare my order for dispatch too you bastards.

Seriously, I haven't been this keen to play a new game for a long time and it's not even new, haha.

kc44135

That would be me. Going up either tomorrow (since the game is getting an early release on the 29th at most GameStop so I'm assuming the same is true of a lot of places, not to mention that it's been leaked to sale for a week now) or the 29th in the early morning.

It is?

silva1991

7 for me :( I got so desperate I started a replay of the old games, but I realized it would make the remaster lose its luster so I stopped. The rediscovery is part of the experience, at least for us old men.

I did the same few months ago and finished Crash 1 :/

That's way I'll probably leave it for last as far as the remake goes.

Or maybe I'll play it first with Coco.

Undrey

I wish I could actually find this game for $40. It's overpriced everywhere here and the one place it's actually priced fairly, it's sold out.

xviper

i got the game and just finished the first island of the first game

apart from the graphics, they haven't improved anything else, the controls are as clunky as the original

fernoca

Finally preoloaded from PSN and of the 5 themes you get, 4 are locked until launch?...weird.

The 8 avatars also had a timer, but let me change it anyway.

The Game Collection UK has e-mailed me to let me know that my copy has been dispatched! Nothing from Amazon UK yet though. One copy for me, the other for my nephews.

One problem: I don't have a PS4 yet, but this is going to be the game to change this!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Local retailer emailed me that they sent my copy. Yeas.

The Game Collection UK has e-mailed me to let me know that my copy has been dispatched! Nothing from Amazon UK yet though. One copy for me, the other for my nephews.

One problem: I don't have a PS4 yet, but this is going to be the game to change this!
I hate you all too.

Why do Amazon UK have to stick to dates so rigidly :(

Nice, got an email this morning that my copy had been dispatched. Super interested how my kid takes to this. He's 9 so very much of the Minecraft generation, doesn't take too well to games that actually test you or you can fail on. He really liked Crash in the recent Skylanders though and he keeps telling me he wants to give this a go.

For myself, I actually never played Crash 2 so really excited.

M_sk

Neo Member
I received an email from Game yesterday saying that the game was being prepared for delivery, hopefully if it gets sent out today should have it for tomorrow

Nice, got an email this morning that my copy had been dispatched. Super interested how my kid takes to this. He's 9 so very much of the Minecraft generation, doesn't take too well to games that actually test you or you can fail on. He really liked Crash in the recent Skylanders though and he keeps telling me he wants to give this a go.

For myself, I actually never played Crash 2 so really excited.
You prolly want to start with 2 then since Crash 1 is arguably the hardest.

You prolly want to start with 2 then since Crash 1 is arguably the hardest.

Haha hmmm I could skip straight to 2 and go back, but I kind of like the idea of playing 1 for nostalgia and a brand new game as a reward afterwards. If there's a bit of a wonky difficulty ramp between the three though, that might make sense. I'll keep it in mind :)

(oh wait I just realised, did you mean start the boy with 2? That makes a lot of sense)

SgtCobra

Wasn't there supposed to be a day one patch or something coming up?

i got the game and just finished the first island of the first game

apart from the graphics, they haven't improved anything else, the controls are as clunky as the original
If that's true then yuck, Crash 1 is the one that aged the worst anf that's thanks to its controls.

Top Bottom