• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, uhhh, what happened to that Young Conker Hololens....thing?

daTRUballin

So what happened to that Young Conker Hololens game that was revealed early last year?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQeOYi3Be5Y

For those of you who don't know what this is or don't remember, this was revealed as one of the "showcase" demos for Hololens alongside a couple others. It was outsourced to a developer called Asobo Studios. Back when it was revealed, everybody was just shocked at how bad this game looked and how much of a horrendous misuse it was of the Conker IP. The reveal thread for it was pretty glorious: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1191850

Anybody know what happened to it? Is it still in development? I'd be honestly surprised if it still is considering how much of a backlash it received at reveal.

Hopefully it's been cancelled to make way for an actual Conker game, but knowing Microsoft, that probably won't happen.

Pan0u

Alpha_eX

I played it quite a bit at home, it was pretty good for what it was and had the wit you'd expect from a Conker game.

It did feel a bit basic, but had potential, was quite surreal to see Conker running about my flat and yapping in my ear.

Phamit

Why would they cancel the game because of a backlash from some people on the internet? Most of those wouldn't buy a HoloLens in the next few years anyway because of the price.

My girlfriend knows someone on the HoloLens team and she got a chance to play it. She's not a gamer but she described it as being pretty convincing, if limited to a really small viewing window.

Camjo-Z

Here's over an hour of footage of the game. Not at all what any Conker fan would want, but the gameplay looks alright for being an AR game and it at least has some decent puns (like when Conker is flattering a file cabinet who responds with something like "oh, you're just trying to get in my drawers!", or when a frying pan insists that he prefers "handle to handle combat, like a real pan").

I believe when we learned about the game it was already the tech demo they released, they didn't do any pre release announcement or anything like that iirc.

The shocking part is that I recall hearing tons of positive impressions for the demo.

Edit: beaten of course XD

Here's over an hour of footage of the game. Not at all what any Conker fan would want, but the gameplay looks alright for being an AR game and it at least has some decent puns (like when Conker is flattering a file cabinet who responds with something like "oh, you're just trying to get in my drawers!", or when a frying pan insists that he prefers "handle to handle combat, like a real pan").
Was going to post this. Actually looks pretty charming. Chris Seavor and Louise O'Connor provide voices too. HoloLens isn't really meant for consumers at this point iirc. That's why there hasn't been any coverage of the game.

RedRum

Banned
Why are people asking what happen to HL when you can clearly do a 2 second search and see that it is available to devs/companies, already.

The company I work for has already invested in HL and the Vive. For applications other than gaming.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Why are people asking what happen to HL when you can clearly do a 2 second search and see that it is available to devs/companies, already.

The company I work for has already invested in HL and the Vive. For applications other than gaming.

In a world of VR hype, or maybe even post hype timeline, where the dominant conversations revolve around HTC, Rift, and PSVR why do you act surprised people wonder what happened to the HoloLense? It hasn't been part of the conversation for a long time.

Alpha_eX

I have two and we're using them for development, like many. On the gaming side, the best thing I saw so far was Fragments, which turns your entire room into a crime scene in which you have to determine the location of it to get there before the crime actually takes place.

RedRum

Banned
In a world of VR hype, or maybe even post hype timeline, where the dominant conversations revolve around HTC, Rift, and PSVR why do you act surprised people wonder what happened to the HoloLense? It hasn't been part of the conversation for a long time.

Not quite sure how you think it should be marketed. Especially next to VR besides the videos and articles that continue to follow it. It is a 3K product after all. This is not your regular consumer product. Yet. Give it years.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Not quite sure how you think it should be marketed.
It's not even that. Between here and the OT there's basically no traffic on the HoloLense while you do see articles for gaming and other non-gaming applications of the other VR solutions that are available or in development. HoloLense seems like a flat-line compared to a few years ago unless you really dig for it.

Bsigg12

What happened to HoloLens period?

Dev versions are out and available. Microsoft scrapped version 2 of the Hololens because it didn't fix the field of view problem and went straight to version 3 which will be consumer oriented.

Kneefoil

The concept of Young Conker, the character, feels very strange to me. The game is family friendly, but the kids if there are kids who end up liking it, they will look for more Conker, and then they'll run into CBFD, which is significantly less family friendly.

I also find Hololens to still be cool technology, and I'm interested to see what kind of devices and software this kind of tech will eventually lead to. Although, I think we're still probably decades away from seeing the technology reaching a point where it'll appealing for average consumers and it's usage becomes more common place.

It's not even that. Between here and the OT there's basically no traffic on the HoloLense while you do see articles for gaming and other non-gaming applications of the other VR solutions that are available or in development. HoloLense seems like a flat-line compared to a few years ago unless you really dig for it.

A lot of that has to do with it not being consumer focused yet. I can think of at least two people working at companies that are developing for it and one is for a museum and the other is for something consumers would never see.

gamz

VR hype hasn't​ been hype for a while.

singhr1

Because they delayed v2 indefinitely because of the lack of competition.

shandy706

Thread full of wrong posts and misinformation with some reality/what's happening I see 😂.

I do want me a true Conker/Banjo sequel.

sangreal

HoloLens isn't VR. There is plenty of coverage of it outside of gaming circles, where it has no current or near-future applications. It won't be a consumer device for years, if ever. When they start showing it at gaming conferences again, the coverage around here will return

Top Bottom