• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, um, does Diablo 3 ever becoming not boring or what

So i'm playing this game on the PS4 for the first time and I just finished Act 1. I have it set on expert, playing as a monk, and, uhm, i'm just kinda find this game to be pretty boring right now. I'm fully exploring the dungeons, punching everything into a pile of dust, and i'm kinda just feeling like im going through the motions. The story, what's to say outside of wow, those cg cutscenes look terrific. But Im finding myself just holding X and occasionally pressing other buttons just to make the battles easier and/or shorter.

Am i doing something wrong here? Should i not be fully exploring dungeons or something? This game doesn't seem to hold up well as a solo adventure.

Edit since people think I might not be into loot games:

I do enjoy loot games, I played plenty of PSO (might be one of my favorite games ever) and I've enjoyed the Borderland games. Also, I enjoyed my time with torchlight 1. Just thought there would be more to Diablo than this but it's pretty straightforward, almost to a fault.

The game starts after you finish it. It's all about grinding for better loot at higher difficulties.
The first playthrough and the story are quite meh

Izuna

Banned
Don't play no Expert first time, you're too low level to feel like you are wrecking shit. It's entirely loot based.

Com_Raven

You pretty much describe Diablo there- if the idea of beating up tons of enemies to get better loot to beat them up better does not appeal to you, maybe Diablo was the wrong choice :p

DrBo42

Just wait until you go through those areas again on higher difficulties! Fun! The only saving grace they've added recently are the Nephalem rifts and Adventure, even those aren't amazing. ARPGs will always be repetitive and ultimately boring.

dcelw540

So i'm playing this game on the PS4 for the first time and I just finished Act 1. I have it set on expert, playing as a monk, and, uhm, i'm just kinda find this game to be pretty boring right now. I'm fully exploring the dungeons, punching everything into a pile of dust, and i'm kinda just feeling like im going through the motions. The story, what's to say outside of wow, those cg cutscenes look terrific. But Im finding myself just holding X and occasionally pressing other buttons just to make the battles easier and/or shorter.

Am i doing something wrong here? Should i not be fully exploring dungeons or something? This game doesn't seem to hold up well as a solo adventure.

I had the same problem play with friends and playing on harder difficulty is the best way to play the game.

Raide

If you don't like looting more and more stuff, you may as well give up now. What difficulty are you playing on?

Actually, get online and play some co-op and up the difficulty and see how you get on. :D

OneUh8

The lead up to level 70 is kind of meh. Mostly because you are playing the story mode that is not great. The game is really after you hit 70 and get into adventure mode doing bounties and rifts. Also, if you are having no issues killing the enemies, up the difficulty. You get more XP and it becomes more fun.

EDIT: If you really want to have fun and butthole clenching, play hardcore mode instead :)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Up the difficulty as high as you can manage

It is super boring if you can just wade through the game unchalleneged

Munkyspace

I personally couldn't find a class I enjoyed playing. Everything seemed way too spammy and "same three attack animations over and over" sort of thing.

Just my opinion. There are plenty of people who enjoy it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If you don't enjoy games that are about find loot then Diablo 3 is not for you. It does not hurt that it has the best combat engine of any game of its genre by a mile. This game does not start till you hit level 70 and unlock adventure mode. The story mode is just a slow paced tutorial.

You pretty much describe Diablo there- if the idea of beating up tons of enemies to get better loot to beat them up better does not appeal to you, maybe Diablo was the wrong choice :p

This. Diablo 3 is a fantastic game in it's genre, but if you don't like the genre, Diablo 3 won't change your mind.

Koh

I hope the expansion content does something for you. I personally didn't buy it after getting burned so hard on the original game. Vanilla d3 did not get more fun.

dralla

Once I got to my mid-twenties and was unlocking new abilities is when I started to enjoy it. It only get better from there. The loot thirst once you hit 70 is real

I do enjoy loot games, I played plenty of PSO and I've enjoyed the Borderland games. Also, I enjoyed my time with torchlight 1. Just thought there would be more to Diablo than this but it's pretty straightforward, almost to a fault.

cakely

Let's just say that the plot of Diablo III is not the thing.

The meat of the game is fighting elite packs for loot, and as I remember there aren't too many elites in Act I when you're starting out. This will improve as you gain levels and get farther along.

Act V was especially good, IMO, if you can stick it out that long.

Once you do all the acts, adventure mode is where you'll be spending most of your time.

Also, if you can get a friend to co-op with you, the game is much more entertaining.

On the other hand, if blowing up groups of monsters for loot is not your thing, play something else, because that's really what the game has to offer.

DJ_Lae

I found Monk to be the easiest class as far as avoiding death went - I actually just started up a hardcore monk last night as it seemed the best option for me. They hit so hard and so frequently that any healing stuff will process more often than most other classes.

You won't really start getting cool gear for an act or two, and even then it pales in comparison to stuff that drops at 60 and then past 70.

Dunno. Play with the abilities you have and their modifiers, see if there's any combination of skills that's more fun to wreck stuff with.

MrxDemix

Banned
You should play with friends, and become invested in finding better gear and trying out new builds. If not, chances are you'll never enjoy it.

I think act 1 is the most boring. Plus only with a set amount of unlocked skills sets the repetition into high gear. Also, i think the monk is the easiest character to play with, next the crusader. I made a wizard and became a glass cannon. But like others say, it begins at lvl 70 when adventure mode is enabled. Enjoy the first play through for the cinematic and story.

Do console versions have torment difficulty?

Kyoufu

Diablo 3 begins to shine when you start farming Rifts at level cap for those glorious legendary loot!

Until then, try playing with friends. Much more fun.

Not sure if I've ever played a game often described as "it gets good after the first 20/30/50/whatever hours" and had that actually be true, Diablo included.

jokkir

Playing with friends is what makes the game fun imo. I don't think I would have done a 15 hour-ish marathon when it came out if it were not playing with friends.

Korten

Banned
From what my friend said, the game get's a shit ton more difficult once you beat the game and unlock the other difficulties.

Uhhh it gets fun depending on what's fun to you. I quit when destiny came out but recently came back. It's fun again.

Trying out new builds and running through greater rifts getting destroyed. Lmao

Going through the motions is Diablo.

1 & 2 were both better for world, atmosphere and compelling motive... but 3's still a step up for some things, as far as enjoying what you're looking at all the time goes (really that's just because it's predecessors are archaic now)... except there's very little dark, dank and dread atmosphere that makes anywhere feel intimidatingly evil. There's stuff that tries to evoke that, but doesn't really succeed imo.

If you're not enjoying the lather, rinse, repeat you aren't going to start enjoying it later... unless some loot drops put the bug in you and hook you.

If D3 loots system didn't make everything you get obsolete at 70 it would be nice. In the next Diablo I hope they go back to a D2/PoE style loots system where items that can drop in lower levels can be useful in endgame, but that requires a complete game overhaul.

1-70 is pretty much just a mindless borefest. Having some buddies powerlevel you up to the cap is recommended after your first playthrough so you can get to the end game. Although you do level up rather fast in this game. Just get gear with +exp on kill to speed things up a little.

DeweyChat

Banned

Same for me. The game is too easy and if you rise the difficulty it's still too easy until a point where from jumping a difficulty level a small mob kill you.
There is no skill at all, your player is able or not to kll mobs, if not you have to farm.

D3 is a flashy game for the first time playing, then it gets boring because you really don't have much choice in your build.

And loot sucks because the stat design is so shallow since you only go for crit and crit dmg, so a ton of loot and legendaries are just throw away.

Boogdud

The first playthrough is set at an almost insulting level of difficulty. Once you hit 70 and can start doing higher torment difficulties it becomes a new game. Right now you are in the tutorial.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I found it boring all the way through. The endgame was really just more of the same to me. I'm sure that there are aficionados out there, but to me it never felt more than glorified button mashing. It has a really odd, frictionless feel to it too. A very pointless game.

cakely

D3 is a flashy game for the first time playing, then it gets boring because you really don't have much choice in your build.

And loot sucks because the stat design is so shallow since you only go for crit and crit dmg, so a ton of loot and legendaries are just throw away.

I disagree with this. Endgame builds depend much more on Legendary affixes and set item bonuses than they do on pure stats.

Endgame for me felt more like Magic the Gathering. I would find a legendary item with particular legendary affix and then craft a build completely around it, sort of like using a particular rare card in a deck.

Kinthalis

Banned
Seasons are a good reaosn to keep playing the game. Too bad you're on PS4.

However the game is the game. If loot based games aren't clicking with you, then perhaps D3 just isn't for you.

Top Bottom