• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What original games do you enjoy more than their remakes?

Drew1440

I always prefer the arcade version of Tekken Tag Tournament with its original soundtrack. It's PS2 port kinds seems like a remake since the game had a significant graphics upgrade.
I also wasn’t keen on the Xbox remake/port of Dead Or Alive 2 (Ultimate), much prefer the original Dreamcast release.

SHA

Resident Evil, 4 sucks, can't believe that many people've liked it, I did not, zombies should be scary and unpredictable, these are definitely not.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Wind Waker > Wind Waker HD

Cut down on the bloom on HD and its another story though.

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Metroid 2 for the OG Game Boy over Mercury Steam's 3DS remake Samus Returns. That said, AM2R smokes them both, although only the original really retains the claustrophobic, creepy, labyrinthine atmosphere that sets the game apart.

I like that the 3DS one officially connects Metroid Prime with the 2D series. Apart from that, pretty lacklustre game with little atmosphere.

The real question is: which remake have I enjoyed more the the original. I honestly can’t think of any. Every remake and remaster has been worse overall. It’s to the point where I still have every generation of PlayStation on active-duty in my home.

Maybe PS4 Shadow of the Colossus would be ok? The PS3 versions were “ok”.

The real question is: which remake have I enjoyed more the the original. I honestly can’t think of any. Every remake and remaster has been worse overall. It’s to the point where I still have every generation of PlayStation on active-duty in my home.

Maybe PS4 Shadow of the Colossus would be ok? The PS3 versions were “ok”.
Resident Evil 3 Remake is one of the only remakes that manages to surpass the original in every way for me.
Resident-Evil-3-Remake-Leaked-Screen-12.jpg

I would also say Black Mesa, but I only played the beginning of the original Half-Life upto the helicopter and crates section.
ss_9d4eba7e8e75ab9ecdfe73cbaf5a242d16959226.1920x1080.jpg

Loke

Black Mesa. I like it overall but also feel that it's way too bloated at certain points especially Xen. Visually Xen looks amazing in Black Mesa but after you've spent more than a couple of hours on it you just want it to end. The original, whilst not perfect, was relatively short. Also the sound design is a bit disappointing in Black Mesa, I feel like Half-Life has way more punch to it especially the gunplay which feels rather generic in Black Mesa.

Also the remake of Panzer Dragoon was utter shit of the highest order. One of the worst remakes ever and I dread to see what mess the team will make of Zwei

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Resident Evil 1, for reasons I explained many times.

The Super Mario Bros NES trilogy to the SNES All-Stars.

Super Mario 64 vs the DS version.

Castlevania Rondo of Blood. The PSP remake has some nice additions, but the 30fps poly graphics are a huge downgrade.
Same for Megaman X and its PSP remake.

Conker’s Bad Fur Day. The remake is censored (which really defeats the purpose) and the faces are expressionless compared to the N64 original.

Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest (Game Boy) vs the abysmal GBA remake.

Above all, Metroid NES vs Zero Mission. Fuck Zero Mission.

cortadew

This might not be the most popular opinions to hold but I vastly prefer playing the OG versions of Demon's Souls and Resident Evil 4. I'm not the remakes suck (I think both Demons and Resi 4 remakes are amazing) but I just find the og games more enjoyable to play for me. I've said this before but old games like that just have some special charm that remakes can't capture.
It is just nostalgia

Mr Hyde

Went back to OG Demon's Souls after playing the shit out of the remake (which I absolutely love) and the original is still very fun to play. Although the remake looks and play better, the original has a different vibe to it that simply makes it irresistible. It's difficult to describe but if you know you know.

FF7 and Resident Evil 2 are also better than their remakes, especially RE2. The remake was fine but it changed up a lot of stuff I didn't like. Capcom botched the two player campaign scenario and Mr X was just annoying, compared to how awesome he was in the original.

I enjoyed FF7 remake more, but it's just the first part of the game, so can't really comment on the rest of it. But even if Rebirth and the third part comes out as a masterpieces, I still think I'll prefer OG FF7 above the remake. It holds a special place in my heart and nothing can replace that feeling.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Super Mario 64 - Better game feel, better pacing
Ocarina of Time - Better Atmosphere, better ost, better lighting.
Twilight Princess Wii- Better lighting, better atmosphere, motion controls are additive.
Metal Gear Solid - Better ost, better voice acting, better balance/design, better tone, better cinematography.
Starfox 64 - Better voice acting, better ost.
Resident Evil 2 - Survival horror made it way more tense, love the camp/charm, better pacing, better ost, im glad Remake 2 exists tho.
Demons Souls - Better artstyle, better ost, better atmosphere.
Conkers Bad Fur Day - not as censored, better artstyle.
Spyro 2 - Better character designs for the worlds npcs, Hunters VA is worse, they cut "Wyaiyaiyow" chant from iconic monk level.
Mass Effect Originals- Better Lighting, cutting Ass shots, making all classes able to use all weapons, poor level up balancing, cutting back on "Enemies Everywhere", "Go go go" and "I will destroy you".
Halo - Better Atmosphere, better lighting.

Im sure theres more im forgetting too, ill add more if needed. Most remakes lose the soul of the video game which is critical to the artform and therefore damages the understanding of newcomers how good some of these games truly are.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Mass Effect Trilogy.

It should be a crime that they cut out the scene of Miranda's thick ass.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Definitely Demon's Souls.

Bluepoint flubbed the music design, art design, character design, and replaced certain iconic voice actors. About the only things consistently better in the remake are the critical attack (riposte/backstab) animations and character creator.

Last edited:

wvnative

Vast majority. Most remakes tend to fuck up shit, like the physics/controls in Spyro/Crash or the awful new voice acting and toned down dialogue in Spyro. Yakuza kiwami had the dumbass majima everywhere system, kiwami 2 had the awful yakuza 6 combat

most remasters also tend to introduce bugs not present in the original.

My only real exception is FF7 but I don't even really count that, it's a brand new game, not a traditional remake. I liked Dead Space but I didn't play the original so I don't know what they fucked up, if anything.

All of them. Fuck soulless remakes. Only Resident Evil 1 manages to compare and even then it drastically changes the tone. At least it maintains the same game design.

RE2, 3 and 4, great games but Originals are superior.

Good remakes better than original for me are: TLOU1, RE1.
Demon's souls and shadow of the colossus are great too, yet they changed the art too much So they are not replacing the Originals for me.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Most recently, Resident Evil 4.
This for me, but not by much.

I prefer the new RE4 in terms of combat mechanics, but the characters and their interactions were largely downgraded. Ashley and arguably Luis (arguably because I still prefer OG Luis, but most seem to prefer the new one) are the only improved characters. Leon isn't quite as cool, and he's kind of a dick now for some reason. Ada is straight up boring at this point, when OG RE4 Ada was her best iteration. The villains were all hugely downgraded, and we lost out on all the banter he had with both Salazar and Saddler. Chief Mendez also wasn't near as intimidating as he was in OG. All of OG RE4s charm was in it's characters and their interactions, so it was a shame to lose that.

Also, RE3. This one doesn't even need an explanation. It'd be a subpar RE game even if it wasn't a remake.

Last edited:

Solrac

Well, all of the recent 'remakes' are just reimagined versions that, at the end of the day, are beastly inferior to the OG.

digdug2

This has quietly been my fear for years. Bluepoint just makes Bloodborne super shiny and clean and miss the point entirely.
That would honestly be awful, and while my original post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, I'm right there with you. As much as I like the Demon's Souls remake as a whole, the environmental art design frequently missed the mark. Another addition that I don't like in the remake are the grunts that the player character makes. They should have left that as it was.

Only Resident Evil 1 manages to compare and even then it drastically changes the tone. At least it maintains the same game design.
Not quite. You have the addition of the invincible enemy to pester the player at various points in the game. You have the gasoline management and corpse disposal (otherwise they come back forever as more aggressive versions later on). You have the door that breaks after two uses. You have the zombies following the player to the next location. You have an instant kill boss. You have defensive items. You also cannot rely on one bullet beheadings with the shotgun. :(

Last edited:

killatopak

RE2 and RE3. I’m unsure about RE4 because it may be recency bias but I consider them equally great. I prefer the campy humor in og 4 though.

I might have to revisit original RE1 though. I’m so used to playing REmake that I forgot to compare the two.

Top Bottom