• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what happened to mech games ?

I don't want a mecha game, I want a mecha hunting game.

56.jpeg

Go watch Armor Hunter Mellowlink and tell me that wouldn't make for a cool video game. You got some landmines, you got an anti armor rifle, you got a motorcycle sometimes, and you have to come up with a good plan or else the robot steps on you.

Soooo Horizon then?

Ik2aICB.gif

8b935914.gif

The industry wants a lot more story based games and set pieces. Armored Core, being made by From soft, didn't have a story people wanted to follow all too well even though I was interested.

There are games on the PC but the numbers vary. I like Hawken a lot as one user posted earlier but, more people need to play that since a new dev team started working on it.

Now all people want is Souls games and want the next AC game to be a Souls game. I like souls combat and such but this is kinda getting old with everything needing to be a Souls game. So if I want an actual mech game it will have to be from another studio that isn't From Soft I guess. Even if they own most of the licences I care about. :/

If they do, do another AC game, I want it to use what they learned from Souls games sure but, not make a damn AC Souls game.

JCX

For whatever reason, I don't think mech games ever got as popular as just standard shooters/action games where you play as a human (or human-sized character). That's part of why I'm so excited about Xenoblade Chronicles X. Doesn't need to be the GOTY, just a solid game with solid mech mechanics.

Also playing LBX on 3DS now, which is a pretty easy but fun mech customization/action game.

That RIGS gaming coming out for Morpheus looks like it could be fun.

Having trouble finding shots and stuff but it's from the Cambridge studio and they're pretty damn good devs. There's a trailer from an old reveal out there somewhere too.

Now all people want is Souls games and want the next AC game to be a Souls game. I like souls combat and such but this is kinda getting old with everything needing to be a Souls game. So if I want an actual mech game it will have to be from another studio that isn't From Soft I guess. Even if they own most of the licences I care about. :/

If they do, do another AC game, I want it to use what they learned from Souls games sure but, not make a damn AC Souls game.

I mentioned this in a previous From thread that they should go Escaflowne-style if people want that mecha souls.

tumblr_mknhm4zpQX1qmpg90o1_500.gif

tumblr_m72jjiCnBS1qmpg90o1_500.gif

tumblr_nbdn5nHBZg1s5oxc0o1_500.gif

tumblr_nfrt1ogoJb1sgtx3io1_500.gif

tumblr_nsovqfaF5d1rdfsmyo1_540.gif

Banned
I'm still waiting for my AAA Gundam game where you build your own and upgrade it through an open world game with space battles and a 20 hour story.

You would think with so many FPS games on the market, one of them could be a Mech FPS that is accessible enough to pull more fans to the sub genre.

I mentioned this in a previous From thread that they should go Escaflowne-style if people want that mecha souls.

Escaflowne is a good example. Thing is what I meant was, I don't want a stamina meter for a mech games. I mean they are robots. About the only stamina meter they should have is for thrusters/jump jets. Obviously now a days having an attack animation and learning how to control it is neat.

Other problem is I still want guns lol.

You would think with so many FPS games on the market, one of them could be a Mech FPS that is accessible enough to pull more fans to the sub genre.

People need humans I guess.

HAWKEN is good. Great visuals and sound design. Gameplay can get a tad repetitive, but in short bursts it's great. Micro transaction system ruins the fun a bit though.

PantsuJo

There is no need to worry if you have a Steam account. Project Nimbus, HAWKEN and the PC port of the Japanese Armored Gunhound EX are waiting for you. Also Astebreed is a fantastic choice (PC/ps4, it's a shmup but you control a mech and there are A LOT of mechs). Plus I suggest Strike Suite Infinity and Strike Suit Zero (also on ps4 I think..).

Aside from these, XenoX, the new Vanillaware game and don't forget that the next Assault Suit Leynos will be on Japanese PSN in few weeks.

Boogdud

- Loli's happened

- Everything that remained turned into a multiplayer/squad based or competitive shooter (most mecha fans I know don't really care about this genre and prefer solo or co-op experiences, tagged on multi is fine but exclusively multiplayer is not)

- Namco/Bandai decided that they would abandon Gundam in the west (why we still haven't seen extreme in the west is baffling)

- Souls happened

Everything in anime/manga pretty much moved to female centric to eploit the new market. If you did have a mech involved in anything it is just a vehicle for a boy band.

The market changed and we got left behind.

PantsuJo

As I wrote before, there are some good/very good mecha games today. They are few, indeed, but there are.
Maybe one day FromSoft will remember the past (and its Armored Cores and Metal Wolf Chaos... Maybe) and maybe fucking Bamco will remember this western half of the world... but until this day we must find and try and enjoy every good mech game we can find.
And this thread has some good advices.

Breads

Banned
Unfortunately the Mech audience is too small to be sustainable. Even the best mech games, beautiful as they were at the time with nary a flaw they still don't make much money.

I personally would love to see games like Heavy Gear return.

Dude. I just rewatched the series on Kissanime like 3 days ago. So good.

Souls killed Armored Core (for now).

Mechwarrior Online is a decent game with predatory F2P.

Hawken exists. It's OK.

Battletech is back but as a SRPG. If you liked tabletop Battletech, that should be exciting.

MAV, the Chromehounds clone, is still slooooooooowly chugging along.

Virtual On did not survive attempts at making console-focused entries.

That awful Kinect version of Steel Battalion killed that revival ASAP.

And that about covers it. It's a genre that never really had a critical mass moment, it's always kinda chugged along. The loss of Armored Core and Mechwarrior being tied up as a F2P hellhole is really what we're felling right now.

Looking at MAV now. hope it gets out of EA soon, that looks like what I want.

We got Rigs, and Titanfall not so long ago.

Isn't Rigs a VR game that isn't out yet?

And Titanfall is barely a mech game. Especially when you have the developers saying "Mech is a dirty word."

PantsuJo

Wait its getting an English translation? Did I miss that? Where'd they say that? And more importantly, how do I get it!?
Maybe the Asian version (different from the classic J-version) will have English text, as usual. You should check PlayAsia, of course. The right choice for imports.

Grief.exe

Unfortunately the Mech audience is too small to be sustainable. Even the best mech games, beautiful as they were at the time with nary a flaw they still don't make much money.

From's recent expansion to PC should help from an ROI perspective. The demographic tends to enjoy niche, hardcore games with good word of mouth on top of generating revenue for literal decades.

From's recent expansion to PC should help from an ROI perspective. The demographic tends to enjoy niche, hardcore games with good word of mouth on top of generating revenue for literal decades.

Now imagine the possibilities... of a fast paced story driven japanese mech action game with VR and flight stick....

Roni

Gold Member
Sadly, Front Mission Evolved happened. Such a shame to me.

Man I loved Front Mission. The plot was always a sprawling, international conspiracy. Really wish Kojima would make an effort to work on reviving this franchise next. Wonder if Square is interested...

MaDKaT

I sure do miss games like Chromehounds and Armored Core. Kind of hoping From does a new Armored core in the same vein as Dark Souls. Slower paced with a heavy focus on melee but all the customization expected from an AC game.

The End

Uh i remember Frame Gride! It's really cool and i remember there is an English patch recently released... Right?

Is there?

I'll totally dig out my DC then.

I played through a good chunk of it with just a 200 page FAQ on my lap but eventually it got pretty tiresome

Apathy

Funny coincidence, i started playing front mission 3 again two days ago. It's a game I love, and it's sad I will never get to see a good follow up to it. The front mission games that came after it just sucked.

Grief.exe

How are the PS2 Armored Core games for someone who has never played them before?

I could pick one up for emulation purposes.

The End

How are the PS2 Armored Core games for someone who has never played them before?

Very good!

Silent Line and Last Raven were the two best IMO, but SL is a very early PS2 game and uh... doesn't hold up great.

Check out Last Raven if you can.

cerulily

Dark souls derives some of its mechanics from old school armored core. It can be a bit clunky, but it's very rewarding and the customization is amazing, your core feels so personal. Play 3 and silent line, that's about the best the series gets. You can also try nexus if you want to play some remade old-school missions. I love them, honestly. Some of my favourite games ever.

I slightly disagree with last raven since the boost heat mechanics get frustrating sometimes.

Thewonandonly

I would have to give me left nut for a from software dark souls game with mech combat. Just imagine your in space and your ship wrecks in a random planet. Your shipwreck is where you upgrade your guns and melee weapons, and yes guns hopefully will play a big part in this game. Then you go around finding distant alien monsters trying to get to the power source to fix your ship. This game should just have giant bosses to, I'm talking gaping dragon would look puny compared to some of them.

Top Bottom