• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what happened to Sam Worthington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojgat

He's terrible and he's always been terrible. I guess Hollywood just finally figured it out.

As an Australian, I always found even his natural accent forced and unconvincing as he tough guyed his way through numerous local films like a self-aware brick.

Hey guys, remember when he played Macbeth?
070908085331_l.jpg

Yup.

About this time he was sleeping in his car and was about to give up acting for good. He did a giant crocodile movie with the Wolf Creek director, and after that it seemed like he had finally gone away.

Then he somehow got cast in Avatar. Thanks so much, James Cameron.

Then he somehow got cast in Avatar. Thanks so much, James Cameron.

I think it was part of James Cameron's deal with the devil. "I'll make sure your movies inexplicably make record breaking amounts of money at the box office, but in return you have to put my nephew in something and get my sister off my back."

Dommo

So I just added up the worldwide grosses of Jurassic World, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Lego Movie, and it still comes out $40mil below Avatar.

Dat Worthington pull!

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
So I just added up the worldwide grosses of Jurassic World, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Lego Movie, and it still comes out $40mil below Avatar.

Dat Worthington pull!

Only because you forgot to factor in the gross of Zero Dark Thirty as well! Rookie mistake.

its a smaller movie, so it won't make a lot of money, but I'll bet he rakes in some great notices for his part in the upcoming The Keeping Room. Saw it at a festival and he's fantastic in it as a quite chilling Union deserter menacing a trio of women in the last days of the Civil War.

For most Sam Worthington films, he's pretty unremarkable in them, but I do enjoy watching him to see his Aussie accent creep in on occasion (it almost always happens, he cant help it). He was also more then serviceable in The Debt, and that was with dang near all his scenes being opposite Jessica Chastain fer crying out loud. The movie wasn't great but he wasn't a problem in it.

Shadownet

Banned
Irrelevancy.

The same thing will likely happen to Chris Pratt.
Yeah, no.

To be fair, Worthington came off Terminator, Clash/Wrath of the Titans and motherfucking AVATAR.
To be fair, Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World wasn't shit.

Terminator Salvation, Clash/Wrath of the Titans was shit. So you're banking 3 bad movies out of 4. And even then Avatar was just a glorified Indians vs Cowboys in Space.

Roi

He will make so much with only the Avatar films that he never has to do anything else in his live. So why bother with other films?

Shadownet

Banned
Sam Worthington has to be the most forgettable actor out there.

Why is the American film industry so obsessed with getting the blandest, most boring Australian actors and making them stars?
Because they think a Hugh Jackman is easy to find.
Take Sam Worthington, Jai Courtney, and Taylor Kitsch and put them in a room so they'll just suck themselves into a singularity from which no charisma or charm can escape, and we can be done with them.
To be fair Kitsch got more charisma than the two of them. Not much, but tiny more.

Joni

Because they think a Hugh Jackman is easy to find.

To be fair Kitsch got more charisma than the two of them. Not much, but tiny more.

They are easy to find, just look at Spartacus TV series where you can easily find three charismatic Australians, five even if you count Fiji and New Zealand. Now, why they took the sixth one to become a real star, that I don't know.

They are easy to find, just look at Spartacus TV series where you can easily find three charismatic Australians, five even if you count Fiji and New Zealand. Now, why they took the sixth one to become a real star, that I don't know.

I'd he interested to know which five. I have an idea of the five you're talking about...maybe.

W

gdt

That's very hard to believe.
I still don't know how he was convinced to come back for Avatar 2.

Probably the chance to finally be on a catered set again.

Joni

I'd he interested to know which five. I have an idea of the five you're talking about...maybe.

W

Liam McIntyre - Certainly in the last season.
Manu Bennett - The New Zealander.
Jai Courtney - The Sixth One. He did have a believable friendship with Andy.
Craig Parker - Glaber from Fiji.
Dustin Clare - The undisputed champion.
Dan Feuerriegel - Our favorite German

Vorheez

All these mean comments just make me feel bad for the dude

I hope he makes a billion off his next movie, he gotta eat too ya know

Sober

Spartacus actors being smart, doing TV instead.

The German chick from Spartacus needs to show up on Arrow or something. Just sayin'.

Yup, pretty much mirrors my list. I'd add Todd Lasance as well. He was pretty great as Caesar.

Skux

Chris Pratt is way more likeable and that works better with family and superhero films.

Worthington just looks too serious.

Enosh

did this
2013 Drift
2014 Sabotage
2014 The Keeping Room
2014 Paper Planes
2015 Cake
2015 Kidnapping Freddy Heineken
2015 Everest
2015 Hunter's Prayer
2016 The Shack

got married in 2014 and had a kid in 2015, seems like a good life

Joni

Yup, pretty much mirrors my list. I'd add Todd Lasance as well. He was pretty great as Caesar.
Ah, I forgot him. He wasn't in the short list on the Wikipedia article. He'd fit the Courtney/Kitsch/Worthington type the best with the addition of being a better actor. Simon Merrells is luckily British, so I only missed one major character.

Spartacus actors being smart, doing TV instead.
I wouldn't mind seeing them in more series though. They improved stuff like Reign, The Tomorrow People, Arrow, The Flash. Always happy to see them showing up.

The German chick from Spartacus needs to show up on Arrow or something. Just sayin'.
Ellen Hollman deserves a spot on that show, Wonder Woman or something like that. And she is American so the accent can't be a problem.

jmood88

Take Sam Worthington, Jai Courtney, and Taylor Kitsch and put them in a room so they'll just suck themselves into a singularity from which no charisma or charm can escape, and we can be done with them.
It's not fair to put Taylor Kitsch in that group. He actually does have charisma but he should never be the lead guy. He was perfect in Friday Night Lights and Lone Survivor.

It's not fair to put Taylor Kitsch in that group. He actually does have charisma but he should never be the lead guy. He was perfect in Friday Night Lights and Lone Survivor.

yeah dude was so much more likeable in friday night lights than either worthington or courtney will ever be.

kitsch needs to play the drunken playboy again.

Mr. Sam

I know he wasn't Australian but, while we're on the topic of Spartacus, it's a crying shame that Andy Whitfield died - there was a guy with charisma and likeability.

When I saw the thread title, I was thinking "noooooo that guy died?" I assumed it was about his death since he's so old now but I was actually thinking about Cal Worthington. After I realized that this is a different guy, I looked it up and Cal actually did die two years ago.

Check out his work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi_BHHY5A8M
Commercials were just better back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom